Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Ma Stone, top of the evenin' to you!  Oh thank you me darlin'.  I know I've been away for a bit -- life stuff and all -- so to see you here warms the cockles of my heart. (what's a cockle?)

Never saw HOUSESITTER -- that is just hilarious!  One of the funniest things I've ever seen in fact oh my god, lol.  The way Martin says "Hush!"  I couldn't stop laughing.

Hope you and the family's St. Pat's Day was fun.  I ate a pint of pistachio ice-cream.  It should have been a quart....

• Like 1

Ma Stone, top of the evenin' to you!  Oh thank you me darlin'.  I know I've been away for a bit -- life stuff and all -- so to see you here warms the cockles of my heart. (what's a cockle?)

HELLO there, me darlin' Bronxeen. :)  

I have no idea what a "cockle" is.. ha. but It's good to see YOUR name on here too, little missy. I do hope the "life stuff" is all going well, kid. I know sometimes how it can be but am glad that you are able to drop by when you can.  

Never saw HOUSESITTER -- that is just hilarious!  One of the funniest things I've ever seen in fact oh my god, lol.  The way Martin says "Hush!"  I couldn't stop laughing.

Well.. I can't give it a stellar recommendation.. but it's good for a laugh here and there though. It's probably been 15 years or more since I saw it, but to put that whole scene into context... Goldie Hawn is pretending to be his wife.. and all those people are there for a reception (if memory serves) because everyone in his family and hometown, etc, think they are newlyweds.. but really, she more or less highjacked his vacant house and sort of took over while he was away and he can't get rid of her. She's been going around town telling everyone all these outlandish stories about how they met and got married, etc. and he's had to just play along to keep everyone from thinking he's crazy. ha. The man who wanted him to sing I think (if I remember right) is his boss and she had made up some story about how he'd sung that song to his dad (I can't recall why) and made him cry..  but in reality, Steve Martin had no idea what she'd told him (if I am recalling correctly) so he was literally making all that up as he went along (and his parents and exgirlfriend are looking at him like he's flipped his lid) ha. It's probably one of those "you have to be there" things to get the full picture of how funny a moment it is in the story.. but ha.. it's funny even if you don't know what is really going on.. glad it brought a smile.  

Anyway.. it's one of those "popcorn movies" that you watch and just enjoy.. but can't say it's all that great a movie overall.  But it has it's moments. For whatever reason.. ha. the Turaluralura part seems to be the thing I remember most. ha. :D

Hope you and the family's St. Pat's Day was fun. 

It was a pretty quiet one.. but the kidling and I did celebrate by watching Luck of the Irish (with Tyrone Power) though. Always good for a smile. 

I ate a pint of pistachio ice-cream.  It should have been a quart....

Woo.. now THAT's living on the edge. ha. I am more of a mint choc chip fan.. hey.. it's green. Doggone! I shoulda made that happen. Maybe next year. :D

Ro, I really like LUCK OF THE IRISH.  It's a bit disconcerting to see "Sophie" (Anne Baxter) together again in a decidedly more pleasant relationship, with "Larry" (Tyrone Power) back from the grimness of her circumstances in THE RAZOR'S EDGE.  (and his in NIGHTMARE ALLEY, yikes!)

I don't think HOUSESITTER will be on my Must See list, lol, since I've never been able to tolerate Goldie Hawn post-PRIVATE BENJAMIN, and that's been over thirty years ago, oh my gosh, ha!  Love her in THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS -- Goldie had/has untapped dramatic potential but I don't think her audience wanted to see her in those kinds of complex roles. 

I'll be around more often, hope to get to Western Rambles since I do realize I've been remiss in certain areas there.....

SansFin, lol, all I could think of while listening to that was picturing Sean Connery in an X-rated version of DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE.

• 1 month later...

I don't think HOUSESITTER will be on my Must See list, lol, since I've never been able to tolerate Goldie Hawn post-PRIVATE BENJAMIN...

I'd argue FOR HouseSitter, by the way, although she plays her typical sparky/larky character but with a more felonious edge.  For me, hers is the interesting performance of the film.  In a way, she's almost like Lucy Ricardo where she starts an episode with a small lie and then has to create more and bigger ones to cover up that little lie, only to have Ricky come home and find the apartment taken over by vacuum cleaners or on-sale furniture.  Except, in HouseSitter, Goldie's not telling little lies.  Ever.  It's an odd film to place this sparky whacky character in such an obviously motivated hue.

If you see it, ya gotta promise: "Don't think about the plot holes afterwards... just accept the tale."

Then, I'd also recommend her DECEIVED (1991) which is pure drama and mystery.  I certainly walked out of that film's show barely remembering the goofball LAUGH-IN version of Goldie - she delivers a favorite performance.

Hi, Ollie!   Still not sure about HOUSESITTER (except for Steve Martin).   DECEIVED is a fairly standard thriller but has its chilling moments, thanks to a certain main character. (don't want to give any spoilers).  Goldie seemed to be playing by the numbers in this one as far as I could see.

Happy Mothers Day, everyone.  Mom is in rehab until the 21st, waiting to return to her assisted living apartment.  She's doing well, thank God, and just has to work on her balance and general mobility.   They don't have TCM where she's at now so Mom has to settle for CNN (how depressing!  Wolf Blitzer, ugh, lol)

Bronxie - what?  Your mom's still in rehab?  Over raising YOU?!!  My my... you WERE a brat!!  Good grief - what was that - 19 years ago?  Well, maybe when you hit 20, darlin', she'll recover finally.  "That's why God invented lobotomies."  Well, that's what MY mom says - usually, I pretend it's about my sister but, well...

Howdy, Ma Stone!  Thanks so much for your concern.  Mom is coming along as best she can for someone 94 years old.    She has an optimistic outlook on life which I always hear is beneficial for longevity.  If that's the case, I better start looking at the glass as half full....

Hope there aren't any tornadoes heading your way.   We've got one month to hurricane season.  I'd move to my beloved South of France if only I didn't keep reading there are always reports of UFO activity sighted on the Cote d'Azur.  (the aliens apparently have great taste)

Hey, Ollie, I really was the perfect child!   It was my brother who drove Mom crazy, lol.

...I really was the perfect child!   It was my brother who drove Mom crazy, lol.

Exactly what MY sister claims, too.

Or what she would claim.  If I'd take the gag offa her mouth.

(And of course, our very best to your mum, too.  Ours is pushing the same age, a child of 1921.  And I still marvel at all the changes her parents saw!)

• 4 weeks later...

...So This Must Be Belgium!

b3998f2b-cae2-498d-abbd-efdba24498bd.jpg

Hi ya Bronxie,

Yes I watched this the other night and thought of you. I felt like going on a whirlwind tour of Europe! Also it has Suzanne Pleshette in her prime. What a beautiful lady!

Suz.P.203.jpg

You know it is hot outside when I'm taking screen shots of this.

Anyway I didn't much buy into her relationship with Charlie (Ian McShane). She made the right choice. 

A busload of stock American tourists and a lot of familiar faces here, so it was fun to see them all. Very nostalgic too. I liked the stop on Carnaby Street. Those swinging sixties!

RomeIITIMBB.jpg?t=1433787984

Surprised to see Sandy Ricks had left Flipper and headed to Europe to become a radical! I like Luke but he didn't have a lot of range. It's hard to believe he's subversive or a threat to wholesome American teenage tourists. Mr. Ferguson didn't have much to worry about.

Irma would have loved this

Ha! One of my favorite things in this! Poor Harve! I felt bad for him and it was kind of touching how he missed his wife. Irma seemed to come out okay though.

Irma.jpg?t=1433788127

Next year Japan! 

Also lots of fun cameos of sixties era beauties! Elsa Martinelli!

I missed Joan Collins' bit though, must have blinked!

Nothing great here but a fun little film with some cute bits. Glad I finally watched it. Particularly for Suzanne!

Suz.P.202.jpg

I'll meet you on the bus Bronxie! :)

Baggage.jpg?t=1433788314

• Like 1

Molo, don't start me up on Suzanne Pleshette... I grew up in love with June Lockhart and Marjorie Lord, maybe a li'l Donna Reed as favorite wives and moms, but after snagging some Bob Newharts last year, I remember why I kinda gave up on TV - no more Suzanne.  She's to me probably what Myrna Loy was to my father... sigh...

And I'm still tappin' my head over Bronxie's claims of innocence, blaming her poor brother for all misdeeds.  Hmmm... yeah yeah, I've heard those before...

Molo, don't start me up on Suzanne Pleshette... I grew up in love with June Lockhart and Marjorie Lord, maybe a li'l Donna Reed as favorite wives and moms, but after snagging some Bob Newharts last year, I remember why I kinda gave up on TV - no more Suzanne.  She's to me probably what Myrna Loy was to my father... sigh...

And I'm still tappin' my head over Bronxie's claims of innocence, blaming her poor brother for all misdeeds.  Hmmm... yeah yeah, I've heard those before...

Suzanne? That bad? I kind of liked her. Trying to think of who I might have been in love with back then. Was drawing a blank, then that sweet face of Shelley came to mind. Not Winters, Fabares. I really did have a crush on her. I haven't thought of her in years.

Hey, Mad Hat!  Now it's Thursday, so it must be Montreux, lol.

You know, I never saw Joan Collins either!

I had such a crush on Ian McShane in this but, like Suzanne, did realize he wasn't exactly husband material.   Still, to quote Rosanno Brazzi from another "travel" movie, "So, is better to take home only Venetian glass?"

Ollie, I'm blaming my brother for everything, ha!

Hi, lafitte, my matey!  How are the seven seas treating you?

Hi, lafitte, my matey!  How are the seven seas treating you?

The Seven Seas? I had to think about it for a minute. My days of plundering anything I can get my greedy hands on are sadly diminished on account of getting old. Ever since that ButterscotchGreer stole my rum (a longstanding saga that goes back to 2008) I am withering apace. But in real life I'm quite fine (still getting old though) and am enjoying myself much more than in my fantasy-pirate life. For one thing I don't have to worry about the rum that Sweet T stole from me, since in my capacity as a real person, I don't touch the stuff anymore. My afflictions are few though I must tell you I had two excruciating muscle cramps last night, about an hour apart, one in each leg, and at the risk of sounding dramatic I had to pound the headboard as I wailed (looking for the right word to describe, it doesn't elevate to a scream) but man that hurt. Very weird because that hasn't happened in years. You will recall we consoled each other here on the board back 2008 as we were so afflicted at that time. I mean getting my rum stole by baby t and and suffering leg cramps both in 2008, that couldn't have been a good year. I hope you are presently free from that affliction. Wonderful Ro and the inimitable Molo as well the Gentleman Chris, and I are having a good time over on Ro's noir thread, devouring some of Ro's cyber goodies. Nice mini-reunion (alas there are some conspicuous absentees) of our little group of yore, come on over, willya? Actually I was over there and saw your caps on Man Hunt and as I mention over there, I put it on my list of too-see movies. Thanks for the greet, nice to see over here on the ole mom-hirsute thread. I hope mom is okay. Tell her a retired fantasy-pirate says hi as well as a leg cramped relapser. Tell her we are both getting old (no don't say that). My mother died at 94 and I have a 94-year old friend who is fantastic as she just keeps on going, her mind is sharp as can be. Sometimes I'll mention to her I'm getting old and then stop myself. She's not sensitive about it, I just feel weird talking about my age to her because she is fairly considerably older than I am. She thinks I'm a young fella.

:)

Suzanne? That bad? ...then that sweet face of Shelley came to mind. Not Winters, Fabares. I really did have a crush on her. I haven't thought of her in years.

My mistake in making my adoration for All Things Pleshette.  She was indeed a MAJOR crush for me.  "Why didn't the crows head for that flashy blonde instead?!!" 

Pleshette and, perhaps earlier, the sultry voiced Miss Kitty (Amanda Blake) sort of wised me past those "All American Moms" of my first crushes.  Pleshette, definitely, and then like you, Shelley Fabares.  Something about her totally-cute-face, just too awesome to withstand. 

(Sometime in the '70s, Myrna Loy was doing dinner-theaters around the country and my mother foolishly let my father take her to see whatever Myrna was doing.  "Suddenly, I realized your father would never look at ME like he did HER - he was completely mesmerized by her, completely forgetting anything else in the world existed.  But maybe Myrna had that affect on a lot of men.")

• Like 1

Hi Bronxie,

Hey, Mad Hat!  Now it's Thursday, so it must be Montreux, lol.

That theme song really stuck in my head!

Still, to quote Rosanno Brazzi from another "travel" movie, "So, is better to take home only Venetian glass?"

That's all I took from Venice!

Summertime in a good American abroad film and a favorite Hepburn performance. I find her attitude, her hesitance, her general discomfort as she tries to let herself go, rather touching.

I'll confess that over thirty years ago I took a Globus Gateway tour of Britain. That was very similar to the tour in "If It's Tuesday.."  Every morning on that bus by 8:00am or even earlier! 

Ollie, Laffite,

Shelley was something else!

shelley%20fabares.jpg

Remember Johnny Angel..

Aside from Donna Reed, I liked her in the two Elvis films.

I was actually a little too young for Shelly in the sixties but I've seen it all, including every episode of The Donna Reed Show for the first five seasons. :)

Nice pic, Molo, but she doesn't need all that hair IMO, too much on the glamour side. I like the simplicity of how she looked on the show, the sweet-faced girl next door, innocent and just damn pretty, not glamorous. I adored her.