Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

molo, I have to confess I don't really know what Rossano sees in Kate, lol.  A shapely ankle, o.k., but....   Maybe he was charmed by that "American innocence".

Globus Tours are still going strong.  I went to Bath, England on my own years back to see a pen pal and had a variety of not so stunning memories, ha!  First of all, I took off across the pond at the beginning of November and caught a bad chest cold.  Then my friend's father tried to, um, well, get a bit busy with his hands whenever I was near.  We'd be sitting in the parlour and he'd put the telly on: Benny Hill.  I naively assumed all of Britain was tuned to Masterpiece Theatre.  I'm now dreaming, in addition to my beloved South of France and Lake Como, Italy, of visiting London and having a thoroughly intellectual, sophisticated, veddy, veddy upscale Anglo experience, lol.  And I'll go in May or June!

lafitte, you're still having leg cramps?  Are you getting enough magnesium?  Take tablets or eat one whole banana a day.  I do indeed remember our discussions on this problem, which I also have but to thankfully a lesser degree than I did before.  Although now low-back pain is rearing its ugly head.  This may be because I fall asleep on the sofa many times instead of in my bed and then wake up feeling like 120 years old.  I do some basic stretching and yoga exercises, but age is catching up with me.  How can this be?

Mom sends her love.  Her channel at the assisted living facility is almost always on TCM.  Occasionally she'll switch over to CNN for a mini-news fix, but she's loyal to Robert and even Mank.  My mother thinks Ben "cleaned up" real good.

Ollie [laffite (no harm)], you're still having leg cramps?  Are you getting enough magnesium?  Take tablets or eat one whole banana a day.  I do indeed remember our discussions on this problem, which I also have but to thankfully a lesser degree than I did before.  Although now low-back pain is rearing its ugly head.  This may be because I fall asleep on the sofa many times instead of in my bed and then wake up feeling like 120 years old.  I do some basic stretching and yoga exercises, but age is catching up with me.  How can this be?

Mom sends her love.  Her channel at the assisted living facility is always almost on TCM.  Occasionally she'll switch over to CNN for a mini-news fix, but she's loyal to Robert Osbourne and even Mank.  My mother thinks Ben "cleaned up" real good.  -----Barb

Actually no on the leg cramps, they've all but gone. I mentioned that out-of-blue-episode because it seemed coincidental to that brief greeting from you and I was recalling our 2008 commiserating on this. So far no back pain but the shingles virus attacked my eye about a year ago. It didn't hurt that much but I can't see out of that eye. Two operations. Everything's stable and the docs say it will improve over time, but I don't think so. Okay, no more health talk, ugh, but to say that hoping the back pain will go away for you.

Barb, I'm confused. Are you really traveling around to some of these glory places, or is this one of those cyber sight seeing exercises (which can of course can be fun)

Thanks for the news on your mom. Your reports on her takes on movies have always been a delight.

==

Whew!  "Leg cramp" comments made me think someone had been talking to Wifey about her Dusty Rhodes Memorial Drop-Kick Sleeper Hold Dungeon games she was planning.  Whew!  I guess all of that was just a dream.

lafitte, you see what I mean when I say I feel like 120?  I knew you were the one with the leg cramps, but for some reason I wrote "Ollie", lol.

Oh my stars, shingles?  And you can't see through one eye?  This may seem sort of crunchy granola-ish, but have you ever considered wearing a crystal piece around your neck or wrist?   It just might bring some healing energy to your body.

I haven't yet been to France or Italy, only Bath, but I'm enjoying this fantastic YouTube video of seeing London through a double-decker bus.  It's fabulous, like you're right in the city!

Here comes NIGHTMARE ALLEY!

lafitte, you see what I mean when I say I feel like 120?  I knew you were the one with the leg cramps, but for some reason I wrote "Ollie", lol.

A common error made billions of times I'm sure. Does Geritol (a play on 'geriatric') still exist? Maybe you have "tired blood." Remember that rather hilarious commercial? "Are you rundown? Do you feel like 120? Do you refer to people with wrong names? Do you feel like just falling asleep, even if you're on a double-decker bus seeing the fascinating sites of London. If all these things are happening to you, you may have [pause] TIRED BLOOD [with emphasis] Take Geritol ... blah blah blah." My mother used to laugh at that one.

Oh my stars, shingles?  And you can't see through one eye?  This may seem sort of crunchy granola-ish, but have you ever considered wearing a crystal piece around your neck or wrist?   It just might bring some healing energy to your body.

Do you mean those things that 120-year-olds (I know you don't really feel like that. If you did, you wouldn't so smart, so vibrant, and making all those scintillating visits to all these wonderful places and entertaining us with all your wonderful writing) wear in case they meet with some unexpected medical emergency, so they press a little button and ambulance comes and hauls you away even though you tell them, "No wait, it was accident, I was on the phone and just happened to.." all to no avail. A friend of mine had something like that happen and it cost her a fortune ... oh wait, in rereading your above, I think you're referring to something else, I don't think I know what that is. Actually despite that leg cramp and this horrible shingles thing, I'm pretty healthy, thankfully. Every time my doc sees the most recent labs, he says, "You have good genes, no one gets numbers like these through life style changes." so the shingles is one of those spontaneous horrors that can afflict anyone, even those with good genes. I had several injections in the eye and two operations where you lay there with your eye open and their little tools stirring the jelly as if it were soup. But it was a rather interesting color show. Each operation was an hour and half. But no pain, actually it was a piece of cake. There was just too much damage done by the virus. I have a follow-up on July 20, so we'll see what they say. I'n not hopeful. I'm getting used to just the one eye though my depth perception is all fouled up from 2-6 feet. I'm actually better off wearing a eye patch. Hey, all I have to do is to shot in the leg and end with a peg leg and really look the part. The only other thing I would need would be a Treasure Chest.

I haven't yet been to France or Italy, only Bath, but I'm enjoying this fantastic YouTube video of seeing London through a double-decker bus.  It's fabulous, like you're right in the city!

You make it sound so nice. Can we have a link?

Here comes NIGHTMARE ALLEY!

Sorry, been there done that ;-) (see the above) Do I really need to see a movie.

==

lafitte, forget the eye patch, matey, lol. Here's all the info on the quartz crystals:

!http://www.crystalvaults.com/crystal-encyclopedia/quartz

London double-decker bus link coming up!  Make yourself a cuppa Darjeeling and get ready....

Darjeeling? ... or English Breakfast?

:)

Interesting about the quartz crystals ... it kind of lost me a little when it was revealed as being of the "metaphysical." (but I suspected it anyway of course)  Me and metaphysical are not good bedfellows. I'm not totally coldly rational and a totally terminal fussbudget (though close on both counts), I read Eckhart Tolle, for instance, but I don't term that metaphysical. There are some psychological truths involved with his approach. He doesn't characterize himself as such but I think he could bill himself as the atheist's approach to spiritual guidance. Of course he wouldn't, the Christians and other prejudices wouldn't buy his books. He never advises to pray to God. He doesn't even like the word. Not to sound so virulently anti-religious (though I am :-P) he has a rather unique way of approaching his subject, for a spiritual guy anyway ...  Having a quartz crystal is sort of having a pet rock. Pet rocks might be fun for some people, but they (the rocks) don't have much personality. Not to be pessimistic (who me?) but I fear the quartz wouldn't have not protected me from that nasty old virus ;-) /

;)

Regarding the double-decker bus, we ought get Swithin over  here. He lives in NYC but spends a lot of time in London. He could be our tour guide.

laffite

That double-decker link is dangerous!  After 20 minutes, Wifey came in, shrieked and pointed to all the peanut husks around my chair.  Sorry... I thought I was tossin' 'em into the gutter, off the upper deck!!

Bronxie, you're gettin' me in trouble...

lafitte, I used to drink boatloads of Earl Grey tea (which now "experts" say can lower cholesterol, due to the bergamot, even better than statins) but can't stay away from Darjeeling.  Just has more full-bodied flavor to me.   I might check out English Breakfast.

I shouldn't be spending any more money on baubles, but I saw a couple of crystal quartz rings at fantastic prices from JTV. (Jewelry Television)  I like to look stylish when I'm dabbling in the metaphysical world, lol.

Speaking of rocks, remember that creepy old "Outer Limits" episode with those talking alien life forms that attached themselves to human faces?  Nothing healing about them.

Ollie, tell your better half that you're taking her on a trip to England next summer.  Make reservations for the quaintest, most romantic country B&B or book a stylish, chic hotel in the heart of London.   Before you leave, present her with a  Paddington teddy bear.  You'll never be in the doghouse again.

lafitte, I used to drink boatloads of Earl Grey tea (which now "experts" say can lower cholesterol, due to the bergamot, even better than statins) but can't stay away from Darjeeling.  Just has more full-bodied flavor to me.   I might check out English Breakfast.

I shouldn't be spending any more money on baubles, but I saw a couple of crystal quartz rings at fantastic prices from JTV. (Jewelry Television)  I like to look stylish when I'm dabbling in the metaphysical world, lol.

Speaking of rocks, remember that creepy old "Outer Limits" episode with those talking alien life forms that attached themselves to human faces?  Nothing healing about them.

Ollie, tell your better half that you're taking her on a trip to England next summer.  Make reservations for the quaintest, most romantic country B&B or book a stylish, chic hotel in the heart of London.   Before you leave, present her with a  Paddington teddy bear.  You'll never be in the doghouse again.

Barb, I do agree, I was joking trying to capitalizing on the upcoming English bus ride. Indian teas are the best in the world IMO, especially if they can be bought at really good coffee shops who offer bulk teas. But I do like English Breakfast too, joking aside. As for Earl Grey, I could never stand the taste. I'm not trying to be funny when I say that it could serve as an emetic for me. Something about the taste that revolts me. Who was Earl Grey anyway? He must have been an awful person.

I see your link but haven't taken the ride yet. Probably tomorrow, can't wait (really).

Barb, I do agree, I was joking trying to capitalizing on the upcoming English bus ride. Indian teas are the best in the world IMO, especially if they can be bought at really good coffee shops who offer bulk teas. But I do like English Breakfast too, joking aside. As for Earl Grey, I could never stand the taste. I'm not trying to be funny when I say that it could serve as an emetic for me. Something about the taste that revolts me. Who was Earl Grey anyway? He must have been an awful person.

I see your link but haven't taken the ride yet. Probably tomorrow, can't wait (really).

I don't like Earl Grey tea either.   Taste too much like dry flowers steeped in water.    But hey,  I'm a green tea guy since that is the tea I grew up with.    My mom stills gets the really good, expensive kind from relatives in Japan but I'm OK with the average priced stuff.   Funny but many decades ago my mom would send a care type package to the relatives in Japan.    I don't recall much of what she would pack in the box but I do remember Nestle Chocolate bars and Lipton Black Tea.      I didn't put 2-and-2 together at the time since I was a kid,  but I have always wondered what my Japanese relatives wanted with Black Tea?    Different I guess.   

I don't like Earl Grey tea either.   Taste too much like dry flowers steeped in water.    But hey,  I'm a green tea guy since that is the tea I grew up with.    My mom stills gets the really good, expensive kind from relatives in Japan but I'm OK with the average priced stuff.   Funny but many decades ago my mom would send a care type package to the relatives in Japan.    I don't recall much of what she would pack in the box but I do remember Nestle Chocolate bars and Lipton Black Tea.      I didn't put 2-and-2 together at the time since I was a kid,  but I have always wondered what my Japanese relatives wanted with Black Tea?    Different I guess.   

Green teas are good. In fact, I rate tea in general one of absolute great small pleasures in the wide world. In recent years I enjoy adding a little Splenda to my tea. In olden times I drank with it "straight." That is something btw that will never happen coffee. I like it black and I always will.

James, I can't help but ask. Are you of Japanese descent? None of my business, but it's interesting at times here on the boards to learn something about another member that you might not necessarily expect. No real need to answer, James ... just curious in a friendly way.

Green teas are good. In fact, I rate tea in general one of absolute great small pleasures in the wide world. In recent years I enjoy adding a little Splenda to my tea. In olden times I drank with it "straight." That is something btw that will never happen coffee. I like it black and I always will.

James, I can't help but ask. Are you of Japanese descent? None of my business, but it's interesting at times here on the boards to learn something about another member that you might not necessarily expect. No real need to answer, James ... just curious in a friendly way.

Yes, I'm of Japanese descent.  My mom is 100% Japanese.   Meet my American dad while he was stationed in Tokyo in the mid-50s.   They moved to CA and I was born there.     So I'm 50\50 if you know what I mean. 

Between my mom's Japanese cooking and my wife's Italian cooking (she if from Italy), I eat some great meals!

Hey everyone,

I think my tea drinking days are over as I avoid caffeine as much as I can. Unless you know a good decaf tea I could try. Of course being from the South, I drink sweet iced tea all the time, decaf, but that's another thing entirely.

Laffite,

Sorry to hear about all the trouble with your eye. I always pictured you with an eye patch anyway but, my goodness I had no idea. Hope it does improve!

Bronxie,

I still need to check out your virtual tour of London. One of my favorite cities.

molo, I have to confess I don't really know what Rossano sees in Kate, lol.  A shapely ankle, o.k., but....   Maybe he was charmed by that "American innocence".

Ha! Maybe so. I mean she had to have a love interest. Given all that, she is very sympathetic in the role. I love the scene where the American tourist couple sort of invite her to dinner, or does she assume she is invited, I forget, anyway, the way she senses she is really the odd man out, I liked that. 

Her interaction with the kid is cute too. It's a really good travel film.

Globus Tours are still going strong.  I went to Bath, England on my own years back to see a pen pal and had a variety of not so stunning memories, ha!  First of all, I took off across the pond at the beginning of November and caught a bad chest cold.  Then my friend's father tried to, um, well, get a bit busy with his hands whenever I was near.  We'd be sitting in the parlour and he'd put the telly on: Benny Hill.  I naively assumed all of Britain was tuned to Masterpiece Theatre.  I'm now dreaming, in addition to my beloved South of France and Lake Como, Italy, of visiting London and having a thoroughly intellectual, sophisticated, veddy, veddy upscale Anglo experience, lol.  And I'll go in May or June!

Oh my! Well, you go to London. I'm sure you will have all kind of adventures. You know, I love all the history so that is always fun for me. You never know about the weather though. The last time I went it was early July and it was cold there! Years earlier I had been there at the same time and they were having a big heat wave. St. Jame's Park was teeming with pale Londoners basking in the sun.

Oh and I am sure you can take care of yourself but you could always bring one of your Boca creature friends along too for added insurance. I'm thinking your stalking frog or one of the lizards would be very protective of you! :)

Yes, I'm of Japanese descent.  My mom is 100% Japanese.   Meet my American dad while he was stationed in Tokyo in the mid-50s.   They moved to CA and I was born there.     So I'm 50\50 if you know what I mean. 

Between my mom's Japanese cooking and my wife's Italian cooking (she if from Italy), I eat some great meals!

Thanks, James, for sharing that personal note.. Now I can picture you playing the guitar in a 50/50 sort of way ;-)

Wow, what great culinary influences you have? You can invite me to dinner any time. I'm ready. ;-)

Ha! I had Man Hunt on the coffee table ready to go last night but this was already on and I just couldn't turn away.

Irwin Allen filled just about every speaking role with a name actor and not one of them could get this turkey to bake. I don't think I've seen a more apathetic screen couple then Caine and Ross. They rarely even changed facial expressions.

So many characters going absolutely nowhere. Subplots introduced and then forgotten. A love triangle between Johnson, de Havilland and MacMurray amid the flower festival of Merryville (or whatever the place was called) might have had the beginnings of a nice Hallmark tv movie but it didn't matter, I'm sure they were all relieved to get on that train. Fonda finally had to inject himself with bee poison.

You get train wrecks, giant bee hallucinations, explosions, lots of fire, the Air Force calls out its famed flamethrower division, but apparently they need more practice, as they appeared to be setting each other on fire. Oh and the city of Houston is sacrificed for good measure!

Of course bees are everywhere. Why Bronxie? Why? They've always been our friend. 

ab80753c-c8f1-4e81-b723-a6baf380aceb.jpg

So I hope to get to Man Hunt tonight.

Wait what's that buzzing noise....

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!  Delicious review of THE SWARM, molo!  Poor Hank, lol.  You know, I think I actually saw this one many moons ago and wrote up some comments, but can't remember where or when.  So goes my memory....

Didn't Gloria Swanson do a tv-movie about bees?

Down here in Florida we haven't experienced any major bee problems but you never know; we've got almost everything else.   There's a crazed squirrel I reported on a while back who is still running around our parking lot, and he keeps looking at me like I'm a giant chestnut or something.  The lizards are my only consolation.  I just adore those tiny dinosaurs.

Haven't seen the infamous puppy-crab for years now.  I swear it wasn't an hallucination.

!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNZnn3El3yE! 

Check out that virtual London tour.  I watch it every month whenever I'm in a British frame of mind.

(also glad that every Saturday our public television station runs As Time Goes By, Keeping up Appearances, along with various and sundry across-the-pond mysteries.  On Sunday we get a plethora of documentaries on all the royals)

I think SUMMERTIME is one of Kate's most underrated performances.  Normally I prefer black-and-white Lean but this movie is very picturesque, almost Minnelli-ish in its stylish use of color.

Hi there,

Yes Gloria Swanson was in a movie called "The Killer Bees". I have never come across it. It doesn't have the star power of an Irwin Allen production of course, but along with Swanson you do get Kate Jackson, my favorite Charlie's Angel, so I may have to seek it out. 

Down here in Florida we haven't experienced any major bee problems but you never know; we've got almost everything else.   There's a crazed squirrel I reported on a while back who is still running around our parking lot, and he keeps looking at me like I'm a giant chestnut or something.  The lizards are my only consolation.  I just adore those tiny dinosaurs.

Never let down your guard Bronxie! That's what they're waiting for! My sun porch lizard has been mostly hiding so far this summer. I do have a frog living just at the entrance to the crawl space under the house. Every time I go in there I try to get his attention so he won't startle me. Hey there froggie! It's just me! I'm coming in now!

Never any sign of him. As soon as I set foot down there of course, he jumps out at me and I hit my head on the beam. This must be a great source of amusement for him!

Snappy the turtle has really been hanging out a lot this year. He keeps digging a little shallow hole and parking himself under various shrubs. Trying to beat the heat I guess. He's been avoiding the bricks (his mortal enemy) so I haven't had to keep turning him right side up like I used to.

I wonder what happened to the puppy-crab?

I will get back to you about that tour of London. Looks like fun!

Be careful out there! :)

I'm going to check if THE KILLER BEES are on YouTube.  I wonder if Gloria turns out to be their queen.   I know I'm always referencing the old Outer Limits sci-fi show from the '60's, but do you remember the episode called "ZZZZZZZ?"  (not sure how many "z's", though, lol)  That one always sticks in my mind.  I think you'd take a fancy to "Regina", molo, the beautiful but mysterious young woman who suddenly shows up one day at a scientist's lab and becomes his research assistant.  She has absolutely no references but he hires her nonetheless.  Gee, I wonder why?  The doctor's wife is strangely jealous and fearful of this comely intruder; turns out, she has every reason to bee.  Er, I mean, be.

Maybe your sun porch lizard found a wife and they've slithered off to Arizona.  Your poor head with that frog, and I thought I had problems with a kooky squirrel, lol.   Is he big and ugly, or tiny and cute?  I was watching a jewelry home shopping network where they were selling a lovely topaz-encrusted turtle brooch, and thoughts of Snappy crossed my mind.

As for the puppy-crab, like Mr. Bernstein's young girl in CITIZEN KANE, there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about he/she/it.  Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, lol, but this creature really got to me emotionally.  An ostensible crustacean with the soul of a cute little canine.

Happy Father's Day, everyone.

lafitte, have you taken the virtual London tour yet?  I've got some crumpets you can munch on.

Yes, finally, the whole route (what they could show us). Started slow but got better. Favorites views, Westminster Abbey and Palace, it was even a bit breathtaking, the pictures we've seen becoming alive. I enjoyed the guide talk, some of the stories were interrupted because they had to fast forward I guess, wanted to hear the story of Victoria and Prince Albert that was just getting under way then zap. I may have to do some reading on the Tower, something about how few were executed there, or perhaps talking about royalty, like Jane Boleyn and Jane Gray, etc. Most building not that tall, very narrow streets and most streets were divided, coming in opposite directions, hope those who visit the pubs won't take the wheel, yike! HD too!! Unbelievable how much has happened there, in London over the centuries, the sense of history is palpable, mentions of the early Tudors, gosh so long ago. What a wonderful sense of live presence. Cliche of the century coming up, but yes it really seemed like being there. Architecture is amazing and ungodly beautiful. What is the name of that bridge, just great.

Thanks Barb, delightful ride (despite all the talk about executions and plagues), who needs crumpets, I was too busy watching. How great to find similar rides in big cities in Europe, hmmm. I recommend listening to the tour guide, she has some pizzazz, "yes ladies and gents, now turning to the right and you're going to see the sensational blah blah, the only trouble with it that there is so much see you have to take a whole day," I thought she was kind of exciting,

Whew!

So glad you enjoyed the tour, lafitte!  I just may unmute and actually listen to the guide the next time around.   Almost even more than the historical sights, what I really groove on in this video are the locals walking around, doing their thing, crossing the streets, going shopping, etc.  I can usually tell who the tourists are -- artfully worn scarves seem unknown to them, lol.

That's London Bridge, and thankfully it hasn't fallen down yet.  Like Big Ben, it seemed smaller and somehow less grand and imposing than what we see in movies and documentaries.  More "everyday" in a sense, with all the people milling about, not so "royal". 

There's also a few wonderfully geeky vids of English buses weaving through the neighborhoods.  Fascinating, amusing, check them out!