Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRwsTyUPIYE!

SansFin, those pysankys are exquisite!  (I hope I used the correct term for the Ukranian dyed eggs)   Have a wonderful, blessed Easter.

Molo, sweet friend, blessings and peace to you this Easter.  Mom is looking pretty darned good for 95.  I brought her chocolate cake and a little Parisian-inspired jeweled box where she can store letters, vitamins, or any keepsakes.  The staff put up a Happy Birthday balloon in her room.  In lieu of champagne, we celebrated with ginger ale.   All in all, a fine time was had.  I gave her yours and Ro's love.  She was puzzled at first:  "How do you talk to them?"

I had to explain that the internet is a wondrous thing, keeping us all connected. 

I'll definitely watch a Blondie movie or two on YouTube!  In the comic, I was always waiting for Dagwood to tell Mr. Dithers where to, er, go, lol. 

Ro, I was so upset last night -- I didn't realize that ABC ran THE TEN COMMANDMENTS on Saturday instead of Easter Sunday, so missed about two hours, but I caught the scene with Moses, Sephora, and her steely eyes.  When Yvonne de Carlo held onto her staff and looked into the camera just as you described, I literally burst out laughing!

And all the compare/contrast speeches by her and Nefertiri -- "Our women do not have pomegranate lips, but they speak the truth"  "Your new friends think love is an amusement, yet to us, it is everything", etc..

I missed the boy mannequin!  Too much coffee, if you know what I mean, and when I returned, it was over. 

HELLOOO there, Madhat Molo, 

Love the chat about The Ten Commandments. Thanks for sharing your experience of seeing in on the big screen Ro. I'm sure that was something! Such great spectacle.

Thanks sir.. spectacle is RIGHT. ha. But oh such fun. :)

This is one of those films I grew up watching every year on the small screen. A few years back I picked up the DVD when I came upon it in a bin. I just had to have it for my collection but I still haven't watched it yet. Maybe I will see how it looks on my big screen tv. Also I'm sure I only ever saw it in pan and scan so it would be nice to see it in widescreen.

Oh, I bet  you will enjoy it so much more if you are going to see it on widescreen. The scale that some of those sets had to be built on was just Gi-normous. ha. And the landscapes too, some you can tell were dropped in behind them, but some are real. All very grand and enormous. 

The thing that fascinated me about the Angel of Death scene was how they had to mark their homes to protect themselves. Not sure why that stood out. I also liked the Exodus from Egypt scenes. They are all so happy and and getting ready for the journey. 

I love the Exodus scene where you get a small glimpse of all the individual moments that are a part of the whole grand event. I especially love all the focus that is given to the children and the elderly. Both have spent their whole lives in bondage, but for one the day of freedom is coming at the end of their life, almost  as a last reward for all their toil.. and for the other, they are just starting out in life and the future is a bright.  The expectation for a better life is just beginning. (at least I always take it all that way, anyway) 

I wasn't allowed to see Jaws for a long time because my mom thought it wasn't a good idea. We spent so much time at the beach back then. She was sure it would make me afraid to go in the water. Eventually I did see it of course and it was pretty scary. Didn't keep me out of the water though. I was a beach bum back then!

Ha.. I am STILL trying to figure out what my parents were thinking letting my brothers and me go see that movie way back then. But I am sure it was because it was rated PG and they just didn't KNOW. They probably equated it to the old "monster movies" they went to as kids. Little did they know it was a whole new era of blood, guts and mayhem. ha. The first time I saw this movie I think I was maybe 11. And to this DAY I can't stand the thought that anything that sinister and menacing could just be out there, swimming along.. waiting. ha. Your mom was SMART to keep you out of the theater. ha. I bet SHE had not seen it either, or she MIGHT have kept you out of the water!! OH me oh MY!! :D

PS: Miss Bronxie...

I was so upset last night -- I didn't realize that ABC ran THE TEN COMMANDMENTS on Saturday instead of Easter Sunday,

What?? Heresy!! ha. They used to always run it on Sunday. But I guess the times they are a changin'. We have it on VHS so we can watch pretty much whenever. Usually we'll pull it out maybe once a year just because we enjoy it. It's good for a rainy day when we don't have a lot going on and we just want to sit back and see a favorite movie :)

but I caught the scene with Moses, Sephora, and her steely eyes.  When Yvonne de Carlo held onto her staff and looked into the camera just as you described, I literally burst out laughing!

Ha.. that made me smile just to read it. I am glad you saw the humor in it too. I am SURE it was not supposed to be funny. She is so gorgeous in this film, I hate laughing. But that moment always gets me. :)

I missed the boy mannequin!  Too much coffee, if you know what I mean, and when I returned, it was over. 

Alas!! Maybe next time. I don't know if  you'll see it the way I did or not, but I would LOVE to know if you do.  Because on the TV it always looked so real to me in the past. But BOY on the huge movie screen, you can really tell it's not.

Maybe Molo will watch it on his bigscreen tv and you can see what he says about it. And then you can try and catch it another time to see for yourself so you can let me know ha. (You'll just have to limit your fluids earlier in the day next time so you can make it though without the pitstop.)   :D 

OH, and PS: I am coming back into my post because I meant to say that I am so happy to  hear that you had a good visit with Mom. I bet she enjoyed all the pampering.  And tell her not to feel bad about not understanding all the new internet technology.. ha. I get overwhelmed by all the bells and whistles myself. I am the poster child for technophobia to be sure. ha. Last night I just accidentally deleted all (yes.. I mean ALL) of my phone contacts on my new smart phone. Oh sure.. the PHONE is smart.. but me, not so much. :D 

Hey, Ro, re: technophobia, I don't even have a smartphone -- still using the old flip-top model.  That's how behind the times I am.

And talking about Bible stories, I saw LILITH for the first time last night and can't get it out of my mind. (mercifully THE ART OF LOVE, which I had never heard of and also caught, vanished like a bad dream within a nanosecond of viewing)   Religious/theological metaphors and mythological archetypes swirled around like resurrected autumn leaves in LILITH, with Jean Seberg giving a fascinating performance.   I always have a problem with Warren Beatty, however, lol.  Never sure if his acting is some genius form of minimilism, or just plain wooden.

!warren-beatty-gallery.jpg

!25ec2fc27b57d766fd3b13415a9efb2c.jpg

• Like 1

still using the old flip-top model.  That's how behind the times I am

Ha.. Miss B, I only JUST gave up my own "flip phone" back in December when I got this fancy=shmancy supposedly "smart" phone. ha. I wanted to have the internet away from home and I also wanted to reduce my phone bill (we were on a really, really, REALLY old calling plan) and it made good "money sense" to change the QT's phone to a phone card (since he only uses his phone to call me, or if I need to call him.. he is even MORE technophobic than I am.. ha) so we just took my phone to a single plan and got the smart phone, and then we are using a phone card for him with just the basic minutes.. only costs a small fraction of what it did before, and my plan is cheaper for just the one phone. So we are saving money AND I get the internet with my phone too. 

It's the wave of the future.... HA! But oh me. I am such a mess trying to figure it out. Fortunatly, the kidteen is teaching me. HOW she knows this stuff is beyond me since SHE doesn't even have a phone.. but she is smarter about learning it all, I guess. Thank goodness one of us IS. ha. :D

I saw LILITH for the first time last night and can't get it out of my mind.

That is one I never heard much about before.. I looked it up online. Can't say that it sounds like much of my "cup-o-tea". But I am sure everyone has their own ideas about that. Meanwhile. I am with you... never have been much on Warren Beatty. Not sure why, but something about him just makes me say "meh".     :)  

• 6 months later...

Calling Barranca! Calling Barranca!

Molo, my friend, my friend! Thank you!  How comforting and wonderful to have you grace this thread.

Mom will be safe and secure in her Deerfield Beach assisted living facility.  They take good care of their residents in all kinds of emergency situations.

We here  in Boca are hunkering down, preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.  Matthew is getting closer and closer.  This sucker is a Cat 4 hurricane.  I'm just praying the power outages are minimal and that I can access my computer over the week-end.  But as of now things look ominous....

Boca Raton dodged the bullet!!  Some wind gusts, a bit of rain, and that's it.   No power outages.  

Now that Matthew is kaput, I can concentrate on the Frankenstein movies tomorrow.

• Like 2

Hi ya Bronxie,

Glad everything is alright. We are getting the very edge of Matthew's rain right now and yet we lost power anyway for a few hours. Nothing to do with the storm though. Enjoy your evening with Frank tomorrow.

It is getting chilly in my area. Maybe time to make a pot of soup! :)

• Like 2

Boca Raton dodged the bullet!!  Some wind gusts, a bit of rain, and that's it.   No power outages.  

Now that Matthew is kaput, I can concentrate on the Frankenstein movies tomorrow.

Does that include the debate? It's a new addition to the genre. The innovation is that there are two of them.

:P

I shouldn't say anything without knowing your politics

;)

The campaign is endless and I may be getting a little punchy.

hi barb!

==

• Like 1

So glad to hear you are doing ok, Miss B. That storm sure was a monster. Glad you only got the edge of it. 

PS friend Molo. Hope the weather is not too bad in your direction. OH, and did someone say soup????????????? (Woo.. as long as it is not bean or split pea.. ha.)  Now you're talking! Enjoy!  :D

Well I'm glad Matthew has made his exit! We had it very easy compared to people down south of us but it was a good deal more then we were expecting.

Lost power for most of Sunday. Streets were closed due to flooding and a good number of trees down, including one that blocked my main access road. We got a good 5 inches of rain out it. I think our local weather people misjudged the impact.

Anyway, Bronxie I hope you enjoyed your Frankenstein fest. :)

PS friend Molo. Hope the weather is not too bad in your direction. OH, and did someone say soup????????????? (Woo.. as long as it is not bean or split pea.. ha.)  Now you're talking! Enjoy!

Hey there Ro,

Now you're waging war against the pea too? Oh good grief! Well It was vegetable soup and it had some peas and some butter beans in it so you would have to pick them out. :P

It was good though. :)

• Like 2

Woo.. Molo, sounds like  you guys had plenty of weather, even if calmer than the other folks nearby. Glad it was not any worse for you. Hope it is all better by now. 

RE: the soup... 

Now you're waging war against the pea too? Oh good grief!

Were have  you been hiding?? ha. I have always hated, detested.. utterly despised PEAS! (aghh.. ugh.. and BLECH!) 

Except for those delightful little snow peas that you get in chinese food.. those I do adore. :D 

Well It was vegetable soup and it had some peas and some butter beans in it so you would have to pick them out.

So what.. That's it??? Water.. with peas and beans??

It was good though.

Uh huh.. if you like Pea and Bean soup. :P 

• Like 1

I must wonder if any here trouble to make borscht. I realize that it can be a bother because it requires a full month to make properly the first time but that establishes your base from which you can make new batches in one day.

На здоровье

• Like 2

Hi SansFin,

I have never made it myself. Years ago I worked with a lady who had recently emigrated from Russia. We both worked until midnight at the University library and she didn't have a car but I did so I would always give her a ride home.

One of the ways she showed her appreciation was by occasionally bringing me jars of her home cooked borscht for me to take home. I developed quite a taste for it. However when I mentioned maybe trying to make it myself she kind of scoffed at me, like what does this southern boy know about borscht?  

That was twenty years ago and since then I have only tried it at food festivals. It wasn't as good as my coworker's! I never did try to make it myself.  

• Like 2

Thanks, Molo! !  Too bad you had to suffer the fringe consequences of Matthew but thank heavens you and the family are safe and sound.

While viewing GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN  I recited practically every line of dialogue as I used to watch it incessantly back in the day, lol.  Cedric:  "Ever since my father put life into that creature it has been a curse.  The terrible consequences of his creation killed my father and drove my brother into exile.  The Monster shall not ruin my life!  I'm happy here, I have a lovely daughter, friends....."  Bela as Ygor interjects:  "And you wouldn't want to spoil that, would you doctor?"  Cedric:  "No, no"  Bela (chuckling) "All right!  Then you make the police to hand him over to you!"  Cedric:  "Yes, yes, I could do that...."  Bela:  "And you WILL do it, FrankenSHTEIN"   

Old Home Week!

Thanks, Ro!  By the way, sorry to tell you, but I like peas -- the little baby ones, and I enjoy them overcooked and mushy, British style, laced with lots of butter!  I hate snow peas! I find them kinda cumbersome and floppy for my taste, lol.  I watched FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN after GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN.  Poor Dwight Frye in these seqels,  reduced to playing a torch-bearing villager with lines like "We'll storm the castle!"

Hi, Lafitte!  Yeah, these debates are horrors in their own right.  To tell the truth, the two of them don't float my boat.  I'd hate to vote on the basis of the lesser of two evils or anything like that.  It's a conundrum....and certainly the most surreal election cycle I've ever experienced.

Hello, SansFin!  I love borscht but have no skills in making it from scratch.  Instead, I just buy the bottled kind at my local supermarket, and enjoy it with a dollop of sour cream.  So delicious!

• Like 1

That was twenty years ago and since then I have only tried it at food festivals. It wasn't as good as my coworker's! I never did try to make it myself.  

I believe that you will never find it made as well as a babushka's. They hone their technique over decades. It is pride beyond family and wealth to make it with perfection.

I believe that major difference between real and what is served here is that they do not ferment the beets. That is what gives it its special tang. 

• Like 1

Hello, SansFin!  I love borscht but have no skills in making it from scratch.  Instead, I just buy the bottled kind at my local supermarket, and enjoy it with a dollop of sour cream.  So delicious!

I do hope that you add also a little fresh dill. It brightens the flavor.

Hello Ro,

Were have  you been hiding?? ha. I have always hated, detested.. utterly despised PEAS! (aghh.. ugh.. and BLECH!)

Oh my goodness. What goes on in the Rohanaka household kitchen??? How can you not like peas? What do you eat with mashed potatoes?

So what.. That's it??? Water.. with peas and beans??

It was good though.

Uh huh.. if you like Pea and Bean soup. :P

Ha! Ha! Hum! 

You're funny Ro! NO it is not just peas and beans!

It also has tomato, onion, potato, corn, green beans (I suppose you hate them too), carrots and stew beef. So it is really beef vegetable, plus lots of good seasoning. Everybody loves it. So there! :P

Hiya Bronxie!

Thanks, Ro!  By the way, sorry to tell you, but I like peas

You tell her Bronxie!

the little baby ones, and I enjoy them overcooked and mushy, British style, laced with lots of butter!

I make them like that sometimes.

Glad you enjoyed your Frankenstein films. What fun dialogue. I will checking them out before Halloween. Luckily I have them on DVD.

Hi Sansfin,

I believe that you will never find it made as well as a babushka's. They hone their technique over decades. It is pride beyond family and wealth to make it with perfection.

I believe that major difference between real and what is served here is that they do not ferment the beets. That is what gives it its special tang.

You have made me long for good and proper borscht now! :)

Molo, Molo, Molo (picture me.. just shaking my head in dismay... ) Ha. :D

Oh my goodness. What goes on in the Rohanaka household kitchen??? How can you not like peas? What do you eat with mashed potatoes?

Well.. tonight I enjoyed my mashed potatoes with pork steak and some green beans.. because yes.. I DO love green beans.. all beans should be green beans. Then I would like "beans' :D

It also has tomato, onion, potato, corn, green beans (I suppose you hate them too), carrots and stew beef. So it is really beef vegetable, plus lots of good seasoning. Everybody loves it. So there!

Ha.. actually, if you left out the PEAS I would probably love it too. :D

Meanwhile, if you left out the corn and the green beans but added CABBAGE it would be a lot like what I grew up eating at home (and my mom called it "beef stew")

Of course.. it really is not stew.. I guess. It's vegetable beef soup, as you say. But that is what we called it. So imagine my poor QT the first time  I made "stew" for him (and he was expecting the thick gravy kind.. without cabbage.. and without tomatoes) He said.. "Tastes good.. but I thought you said  you were making "stew" not "soup" And I answered him "It IS stew.. just like my mom makes. Soup comes out of a can" hahaha. Yes.. that was our first disagreement as newlyweds. But he still ate the whole bowl and then asked for more. :D

Now I make it both ways.. almost every time. I will cook the meat and potatoes and carrots, onion, and celery in the crockpot (with just water and salt and pepper) then when it is done, I cook cabbage on the stove, drain off the water and add some beef broth, canned tomatoes and tomato paste to that. Then I used half the crockpot meat and veggies and make stew "like mom used t make" (because that is how I prefer it) and in the crockpot, I will take the other half of the cooked meat and veggies and make a thick gravy to mix with it, and let that cook about another hour.. and then the QT has stew the way HE likes it. (see.. marriage is all about compromise) :D

Meanwhile, the kidteen comes out the winner because she gets a small bowl of both.. because she likes it either way. ha. 

Oh. and PS: I have had borscht but only once, at a church dinner. one of our missionaries came back to the US from Lithuania. They lived there for several years and she learned to make several different foods from that area. So since it was a dinner in honor of International Missions, she made some borscht for us all to try and brought it to the dinner. I did enjoy it, as I recall. But have not had any since. 

PS: Bronxie.. I have missed out on the Frankie movies.. except I DID see most (not all, but a good portion) of Frankenstein meets the Wolfman. I have to say, I felt a bit like Michaleene Oge Flynn being offered some water formy whisky, ha. ("When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey")  I didn't like them mixing stories that way. I think would have rather just watched them both separately.  I guess I prefer them in their "own" movies.. but never the twain shall meet. :D

Hello, SueSue!!  How simply BEGUILING to see you! 

I'll be back here later this evening. 

One of my cable boxes died and I'm expecting the Comcast technician to arrive somewhere between 4 p.m. this afternoon and death.

• Like 1

Hey there Ro,

Well.. tonight I enjoyed my mashed potatoes with pork steak and some green beans.. because yes.. I DO love green beans.. all beans should be green beans. Then I would like "beans' :D

That sounds good. So it is green beans for you then. Do make green bean casserole for family gatherings?

Ha.. actually, if you left out the PEAS I would probably love it too. :D

and the butter beans, don't forget it has butter beans too! :)

Of course.. it really is not stew.. I guess. It's vegetable beef soup, as you say. But that is what we called it. So imagine my poor QT the first time  I made "stew" for him (and he was expecting the thick gravy kind.. without cabbage.. and without tomatoes) He said.. "Tastes good.. but I thought you said  you were making "stew" not "soup" And I answered him "It IS stew.. just like my mom makes. Soup comes out of a can" hahaha. Yes.. that was our first disagreement as newlyweds. But he still ate the whole bowl and then asked for more. :D

Ha! Well I never tried putting cabbage in there. I think of stew as really thick. We make Brunswick stew in these parts. Slow cooked for hours. You can add chicken or pork, plus sweet potatoes that cook down so you don't even notice them and of course corn and....BUTTER BEANS!!! Yum!

Now I make it both ways.. almost every time. I will cook the meat and potatoes and carrots, onion, and celery in the crockpot (with just water and salt and pepper) then when it is done, I cook cabbage on the stove, drain off the water and add some beef broth, canned tomatoes and tomato paste to that. Then I used half the crockpot meat and veggies and make stew "like mom used t make" (because that is how I prefer it) and in the crockpot, I will take the other half of the cooked meat and veggies and make a thick gravy to mix with it, and let that cook about another hour.. and then the QT has stew the way HE likes it. (see.. marriage is all about compromise) :D

Compromises huh? I will die alone :D

The stew things sounds similar to how my mom cooked roast. She always served it with fresh hot biscuits too! I will be contacting you for recipes. :) I have been cooking up a storm lately. I do love to eat. It also encourages me to be social as I have to invite people over to try it.

Meanwhile, the kidteen comes out the winner because she gets a small bowl of both.. because she likes it either way. ha.

Ha! I'm with her on that! I would do that too. 

Now I'm going to make a pot of chili tomorrow. How do you feel about that?

Kidney beans?

Pinto beans?

Navy Bean Soup??

How about  a can of pork-n-beans???

The world is full of beans Ro! I'm concerned you're depriving yourself! :)

Hello Mr. Bean (ha!) 

That sounds good. So it is green beans for you then. Do make green bean casserole for family gatherings?

I DO... usually at Christmas, with our ham and scalloped potatoes. 

and the butter beans, don't forget it has butter beans too!

Wait, what??? How did I miss those. Blech.. yes, do leave those out too! 

Ha! Well I never tried putting cabbage in there.

OH yes.. cabbage is wonderful with the tomatoes and onion and beef (and all that other stuff.. except for the beans.. that is why I never put beans in there) :D

I think of stew as really thick. We make Brunswick stew in these parts. Slow cooked for hours. You can add chicken or pork, plus sweet potatoes that cook down so you don't even notice them and of course corn and....BUTTER BEANS!!! Yum!

Agh.. you Brunswick-er's can keep that stuff out there. sweet potatoes?? in Stew?? I love them (in fact I just bought some this very afternoon for us to bake in the oven over the weekend (yum.. with butter, a little brown sugar, and cinnamon!) I would even make them candied, or pureed and covered in marshmallows at Thanksgiving. Good golly, I have even baked sweet potato PIE before too. But ick.. can't even imagine them in stew.. with all that other stuff mixed together. What ARE you folks in ole Virginny THINKING out there??

The stew things sounds similar to how my mom cooked roast. She always served it with fresh hot biscuits too! I will be contacting you for recipes.

OH yes.. I often cook biscuits when I make homemade soup and/or stew. (but alas.. I am lazy so usually we have bicuits out of a can.. ha. gotta keep that doughboy in dough, ya know.) 

I have been cooking up a storm lately. I do love to eat. It also encourages me to be social as I have to invite people over to try it.

There ya go.. you should turn it into a regular party, then. Invite folks over to view one of your favorite old films and fix them something to eat. That sounds like fun. Dinner and a movie, a la Molo. :)

Now I'm going to make a pot of chili tomorrow. How do you feel about that?

Hahahahahahaha.. I LITERALLY just got home from the store two hours ago with the fixings for that very same meal. (for tomorrow night as well) We make chili here once every other week or so. 

Kidney beans?

Pinto beans?

Navy Bean Soup??

Yes, yes.. and NO way. 

How about  a can of pork-n-beans???

I have even been known to use pork and beans.. in a pinch. The KEY to making chili (for the folks at Casa de Ro) is.. RICE. I always cook some rice whenever I make chili. And then when I cook the chili, I take out whatever amount I want for myself BEFORE I add the  BEANS (and I put that in my bowl of rice)  THEN I add the beans for the kidteen and the QT (And as to what type I use.. it is whatever kind of bean the kidteen picks out.. she likes pinto sometimes and kidney too.. so I let her choose because the QT also likes either kind... so they will both be happy either way) And then I eat my chili over rice.. (with some shredded cheese and sour cream) yippee. (Oh, and again, the kidteen gets to have the best of both worlds, because she likes her chili with beans (like dad) but she also wants it over rice (like me!) ha. She is quite the mix of both her parents, it seems. 

The world is full of beans Ro!

Well.. if not the whole world... at the very least most of the folks currently running for political office sure are.. ha. (but don't get me started on THAT right now. Ha)   But meanwhile.. there is a recipe that one of my mom's cousins used to make and sometimes I make that.. it is basically just chili.. with GREEN BEANS served over rice.. ha. Sometimes I make that too.. because yeah.. green beans are wonderful.. they are the GOOD bean in a world full of beans.. hahahaha

I'm concerned you're depriving yourself

NO way. I just want there to be more beans in the world for YOU. Since you love them so much. That is the kind of friend I am.. hahahaha. :D

I'm feeling a bit down in the dumps.  Perhaps it's that Hunter's Moon this weekend.

Sans, I've never used dill on sour cream with the borscht, but have had it on salmon platters in delis.  It really does brighten the flavor of those particular dishes.

Ro, I'm sort of a purist as well  when it comes to my monsters, lol.  I think the only "unadulterated" creature was maybe the Mummy, who didn't mingle with Dracula, Frankie, or poor Larry Talbot.  At least not that I can remember. 

Molo, enjoy the Frankensteins!  I've always been partial to GOF probably because it played so often when I was a kidlet.  Some interesting camera angles in that one too.  I think I mentioned before that a friend of mine had a theory that this movie was actually about Nazi Germany, with sinister, conniving Ygor as Hitler ("We would rule the state!").  A "gas" chamber of sorts plays a rather prominent role, although it's supposed to be sulphur.

Food for thought, or just plain hooey, lol?

I'm in the mood for pizza tonight, along with french fries.  They go well together.  

Ro, do you like these peas?

!