Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Did somebody order a pizza... and fries????????   :D

pizza%20fry_zps8yjpfath.jpg

Sorry your feeling down, Miss B.  Hang in there, little twinny. Don't let that ole moon get the better of you.  Just think how gorgeous it is.. and enjoy the view. (Hope that frown will soon turn upside down) :)

(oh.. and PS: Ro, do you like these peas?    Awww.. how could I HELP but like those sweet peas. So cute!) :D 

Ooooh, YUMMY, my twin!! Thank you!!  I'm putting hot sauce over it right now, lol. 

I do love the look of an autumn moon, even if this one is going to be full.  Hope I don't turn into a werewolf.

Those baby birds are so adorable, I just couldn't resist.  Just want to reach into cyberspace and grab them, like your delicious pizza!

I remember this soup quite fondly. It is very quick and easy to make and it is very comforting.

I am sorry to say that I have not made it in the time that I have been here and so my conversions may not be exact. I do not know how that will alter taste or texture or consistency. 

Peel and grate one carrot.

Peel and dice finely two medium potatoes.

Dice ten ounces of cream cheese.

Boil two quarts chicken stock. Add carrot and potatoes. Boil ten minutes. Add cream cheese. Stir while cheese melts.

Cover and simmer fifteen minutes.

Serve with rye rusks.
  • Like 2

Talk about getting hungry. A treasure trove of delicious things to eat though it be but conversation ... and, mind you, I know about treasures. Fish is getting a little old here on the high seas. We are looking out for a pizza ship so we can loot it.

:blink:

• Like 1

Hello Pirate Dude.. did somebody order a pizza.. ship?

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6145/5990402782_4a97797e06.jpg

(these things set sail this afternoon.. hope the crust holds up, but they may be a bit soggy) :D 

Meanwhile..  PS: Sans Fin,  I love to add a little cream cheese to soup. I just made homemade cream of chicken noodle soup yesterday and the finishing touch was a large stirring spoonful (ha.. yes, that is a real measurement.. at least in my kitchen) of cream cheese, stirred in at the end (until melted). I sometimes do sour cream instead of cream cheese, but either way.. I usually like to add one of those two whenever I make a cream of "anything" soup. ha. It makes a nice little boost to the flavor. But a little goes a long way.. add too much and it will take over.  :)

A Greek restaurant near our home serves a lemon chicken soup.. now THAT is an interesting combination. I have to be in just the right mood for it. Don't think I would like it as much if I had to eat it every day. But boy.. it is nice for a treat now and then.   

I remember this soup quite fondly. It is very quick and easy to make and it is very comforting.

I am sorry to say that I have not made it in the time that I have been here and so my conversions may not be exact. I do not know how that will alter taste or texture or consistency. 

Peel and grate one carrot.

Peel and dice finely two medium potatoes.

Dice ten ounces of cream cheese.

Boil two quarts chicken stock. Add carrot and potatoes. Boil ten minutes. Add cream cheese. Stir while cheese melts.

Cover and simmer fifteen minutes.

Serve with rye rusks.

What are rye rusks? And is this an old family recipe? For real?!

What are rye rusks? And is this an old family recipe? For real?!

Rye rusks are rye bread which has been dried. They are in some manner similar to croutons.

Chicken stock with a few things added was a staple soup at home. Amount and type of vegetables and cheese varied by availability. This was the most simple. My mother wrote this down for me when my first attempt to make it when living on my own was a disaster. I had remembered ingredients but had no sense of proportions of each and so created a cheese-chicken syrup with lumps of over-cooked and under-cooked vegetables.

• Like 1

Rye rusks are rye bread which has been dried. They are in some manner similar to croutons.

Chicken stock with a few things added was a staple soup at home. Amount and type of vegetables and cheese varied by availability. This was the most simple. My mother wrote this down for me when my first attempt to make it when living on my own was a disaster. I had remembered ingredients but had no sense of proportions of each and so created a cheese-chicken syrup with lumps of over-cooked and under-cooked vegetables.

The recipe sounds delicious, but I must confess that when I read "rye rusks," I thought maybe you were making a joke because I didn't know what rye rusks are! I don't usually reply to this discussion thread, and I also thought that maybe everyone else understood that it was a joke and I didn't.

But I had to ask because (gosh darn it) it sounds delicious! :)

• Like 1

I just made homemade cream of chicken noodle soup yesterday and the finishing touch was a large stirring spoonful (ha.. yes, that is a real measurement.. at least in my kitchen) of cream cheese

My mother wrote out many recipes for me and I wrote many per her instructions as I watched her cook and bake. Some noodles are cut as long as a cigarette. A spatula with holes is pressed down on butter and then slid off. What butter remains in the holes is the proper amount. The back of a spoon is made wet with hot water and then pressed into a spice jar. What spice sticks to it is the proper amount. You reach into a sack of flour with two fingers and pull straight up. The little pyramid of flour on your fingers is the proper amount. 

She had proper scales and measuring spoons but many of her measurements were what she had found worked best for her.

• Like 3

She had proper scales and measuring spoons but many of her measurements were what she had found worked best for her

Now THAT is the sign of a confident cook! :)

I bet she had some great recipes to pass down to you, but ha.. I imagine that it does take some deciphering skills to get them all down in written form. I remember listening to someone on a cooking show once describe how he made a cookbook of his grandmother's best recipes. And I remember him saying that he took his grandmother's instructions (like half a capful, or a handful, etc) and then put those amounts into a measuring cup or measuring spoon, or on a scale.. whatever was needed to get an actual amount he could quote to someone else in order to write his book. I bet it was a painstaking process.. but what a help to future generations if you want to have the benefit of all those wonderful "old family" recipes.   

• Like 1

Thank you SO much, Kathy!!  Godzilla rules!!

It's a lovely week-end here in Boca -- sunny, temps in the high 70's, low humidity, good sleeping weather.  My girlfriend is surprising me with dinner this evening.  I don't know where she's taking me but am pretty sure it will involve an adult beverage (or two) of some sort, lol.

Another year.  Okay, bring it on!

• Like 2

SueSue, how wonderful to have you here!  Thank you SO much!  I don't know about being inspirational but I do know my Aztec mummies, lol.

Hey as a cowgirl wannabe from my youth (I used to watch Spin and Marty) I always wanted to be surrounded by tumbleweeds and prairie dogs!  And at the other end of the spectrum, Cote de Texas is one of my favorite websites.  I drool over Joni's South of France designs and photos!  Check it out if you haven't already. 

• Like 1

Aww, Scottie, my friend, my friend!  I am so grateful and fortunate to know such a sweet, decent, intelligent all-around great guy like YOU.   Thank you for those generous comments!  Yeah, I did eat last night.  Went to a Mexican restaurant (couldn't stop thinking of the Aztec mummies) and enjoyed chicken enchiladas, a pile of tortilla chips with four different salsas, and several margaritas.  For dessert my girlfriend made me a chocolate cake and we also had Haagen Das ice cream (chocolate, what else?) along with it. 

• Like 1

Woo.. Bronxie, all that delish Mexican food AND chocolate cake too. Now that is what I call a celebration!! So glad you had a good day, girlie! 

Another year.  Okay, bring it on!

Now that's the spirit, little twinnie!! Hope it is a great one for you. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks, twinnie!   My girlfriend knows that Mexican cuisine is high on my favorite foods list, but since I have a big list, lol, it was a lovely surprise.  The margaritas really hit the spot.  Her chocolate cake was delish, and we of course topped it with the chocolate Haagen Daz.  Talk about decadent!

I've decided that Life is all about attitude, so I'm now fully prepared to meet it head-on, with humility, a grateful heart, faith, and my own weird sense of humor.

• Like 1

I've decided that Life is all about attitude

It really is. The way you look at things and the way you decide to respond to them, makes all the difference.

so I'm now fully prepared to meet it head-on, with humility, a grateful heart, faith, and my own weird sense of humor.

There ya go.. ha. That sounds like a lovely recipe for life. 

• Like 2

bronxpizza07.jpg

Happy Birthday, Barb! This may not be the best of birthday dinners but hey put it in the frig for a day after Birthday lunch. And this is from the world famous Bronx Pizza in San Diego. You surely remember the Great Rambler Pizza Seminar we had a ways back. Old Bronx Pizza is still cookin'

Arriv5Sept14019aa.jpg

And this is an anytime tiramizu (so long it's on yer birthday) snack, from my fave Ristorante Italiano, just a couple blocks from BP.

Hope you had a great day!

Did you go on a cyber tour?

I need to look into this myself, I keep fergettin'

:)

• Like 1