Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

SueSue, I find Cote de Texas addictive. I think you'll really appreciate it.  Joni Webb is the originator, and not only showcases fabulous French decor from all over the country, but her own since she is herself an interior designer.  Southern women really have an appreciation for antiques and the European style.  (that's why I also subscribe to Veranda magazine - can't live without it!)

Molo, absolutely no reason to feel bad!  (Lon, Jr. is always the one with the problems)  I love your panel, lol!  Slip and Sach have probably never ever read a book, much less one with "Mediterranean Villas" (fantastic touch!)  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 

Lafitte, THANK YOU MATEY!!  Pizza is one of my FAVORITE foods, birthdays especially!! I love tiramisu for dessert!  I just ate the entire meal -- it's gone!  Ah yes, I do remember our pizza rambles and San Diego's Bronx Pizza.  Great to know it's still there. Boy you're lucky -- living in San Diego and with great restaurants too. 

For further celebration I did watch my favorite London double-decker bus tour on YouTube.  It never fails to transport me!  You'll love it! 

I've decided that Life is all about attitude

It really is. The way you look at things and the way you decide to respond to them, makes all the difference.

so I'm now fully prepared to meet it head-on, with humility, a grateful heart, faith, and my own weird sense of humor.

There ya go.. ha. That sounds like a lovely recipe for life. 

I just hope I can keep it up!  I'm sure there will be times when I fall back into my usual self-pity and despair, but do believe those old knee-jerk reactions will eventually fall by the wayside.

As you know I'm always worried about Mom and pray that when things take their eventual turn for the worse I'll be able to deal with it and not come apart.

Oh dear girl.. one of my most favorite sayings ever is, "Fall down seven times, get up eight" (ha.. I am sure that is a paraphrase of something someone said a long time ago.. as they were getting back up again) :D 

Meanwhile.. enjoy the time you have with Mom and let the future come when it may.  You two mean so much to each other.. just focus on the here and now, and treasure every moment. Sending a hug your way, dear friend.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, my friend.  I will try to be present and focused and calm.  I certainly do not want mom to know how much I'm worrying.

I like that saying, lol.

A few weeks ago I was in one of my more anxious moods and absent-mindedly turned on Fox Movie Channel.  At that particular moment they were running CLAUDIA -- the scene near the end where she learns the devastating truth about a family member.  (I won't be more specific in case somebody hasn't seen this wonderful movie. They made a sequel, CLAUDIA AND DAVID)  Her more wordly-wise husband gently encourages her to be friends with the pain and Claudia eventually acknowledges that the only certain thing in life is uncertainty.  David replies, "Oh my darling if you've learned that, you've learned a lot".  I got a lot of comfort from this scene and really believe I was "meant" to watch it instead of automatically putting on TCM which I would normally do first.

• Like 3

I was in one of my more anxious moods and absent-mindedly turned on Fox Movie Channel.  At that particular moment they were running CLAUDIA -- the scene near the end where she learns the devastating truth about a family member.... I got a lot of comfort from this scene and really believe I was "meant" to watch it 

I don't think I have ever even heard of this movie, let alone seen it. But I am glad you found something in the story to help you sort things out.  Movie are funny that way. You never know when a story line or a character will reach out and become relevant to a situation  you find yourself in or a moment you might be thinking about something else, specifically. But I like how a movie can be "relevant" sometimes, even when you least suspect (or expect) it to be.

Ha.. remind me sometime to tell you how I ended up a literal, blubbering  basket case over a moment like that while watching (of all things)...  TRANSFORMERS!  Yes.. the action movie about the kiddie robot toys. And NO, I am not kidding. I STILL get tears in my eyes, thinking of it. It was in no way a moment I would have thought possible from watching a  movie of THAT nature.. but for whatever reason it did get my attention. Quite unexpected.. and I found it to be a blessing in disguise (at least to my heart, anyway) Ha.. who knew.. it even fits their slogan, "Transformers, more than meets the eye" :D 

I like how movies can do that sometimes. :D 

• Like 1

Ha!  I've never seen TRANSFORMERS but you're right, Ro, anything can set us off.

CLAUDIA is on YouTube (with Portuguese subtitles however, lol) if you care to check it out.  I suspect you might be driven crazy by the character of Claudia, though, since she is somewhat of a ditz as a "child-bride" who "doesn't know what it's all about" (1940's term for sexual experience)  Robert Young as hubby David carries around his pipe so often I always assume he takes it into bed with him.  Now that might be cause for divorce. 

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving to all my TCM friends.

Molo, thank you so much.  Have a blessed holiday.  I visited Mom earlier today and she is now enjoying turkey dinner with all the trimmings at her assisted living facility. 

SansFin, love your turkey photos, lol.  Hope you had a good meal!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my TCM friends.

Molo, thank you so much.  Have a blessed holiday.  I visited Mom earlier today and she is now enjoying turkey dinner with all the trimmings at her assisted living facility. 

Same here, to all. Special inclusion, Barb ... your mom. I hope she has her own TV. A community TV might not work for a TCM enthusiast.

Cute card, Molo, although I worry what that sweet little girl is saying to that turkey. I won't opine.

;)

• Like 1

Hi, matey!  Hope your turkey day was blissful, my friend.

Yes, Mom has her own television but sometimes has problems remembering which channel is TCM.   When that happens, she inadvertently turns on CNN and has to listen to Wolf Blitzer.   That she cannot stand, lol.

We were very fortunate that it was only two of us this year and so we had a simple meal. I made spatchcock chicken and my insignificant whatever made duchess sweet potatoes. I do not have my legs for this holiday yet and so I welcomed the opportunity to avoid preparing many specialty dishes.

I hope that you and yours had a delightful day and that your bathroom scale is broken!

• Like 1

No "belated" necessary, dear TWINNIE!

Mom enjoyed her turkey and pumpkin pie but told me she would have rather made it herself, lol.  I reminded her that she didn't have to do dishes and that perked her up!

My friend always overcooks during this season so she made me take home lots of leftovers, which included her homemade macaroni-and-cheese plus from scratch apple pie.

It was a blessed day overall and I hope it was the same for you and your family.

SANSFIN, I had to look up "spatchcock"!  Didn't know this means "butterflied" which gives the meat when it's laid out like that a much juicier and intense flavor.  I'm sure you and your sweetie had a delicious meal.  Sometimes simple is best.  As for my bathroom scale, I have a rule never to jump on it until the day after New Year's, lol.  No use crying during the winter holidays.

SANSFIN, I had to look up "spatchcock"!  Didn't know this means "butterflied" which gives the meat when it's laid out like that a much juicier and intense flavor. 

It is probably a translation error that I consider: 'butterflying' a chicken is to cut off the breasts as one piece. I find this difficult as one must be delicate to cut meat cleanly from the sternum but yet so strong as to cut through the sternum so that the keel remains with the meat.

It is sad to say that I have to now roast chickens as our one frying pan which was so large that it could hold an entire chicken broke. It requires nearly twice as much time in an oven than it does on a burner and the rosemary and dill on it tend to char. We mean to buy a new frying pan of proper size but we forget each time when we go to the city where they can be purchased. There are none available locally and ordering a large cast-iron pan entails a high shipping cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Matey, may the heavens smile down on you all the days of your life, and thanks so much for the kind sweet words about Mom.

Rich, what a pleasure and an honor to see you here!  Wishing a happy holiday season to you and Inspector Clay.  Yes, my friend, future events will effect us all in the future.  We must punish the guilty and reward the innocent!