Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Merry Christmas to you and mom too, Miss B. Best wishes for a blessed holiday. :)

Thank you so much, my twinnie!  Mom sends her love.  Blessings back to you and the family.  Peace, love, all the "shining gifts" as David Niven says in his THE BISHOP'S WIFE sermon.  (and who wouldn't want Cary Grant as an angel, lol?  Better than Clarence)

It is probably a translation error that I consider: 'butterflying' a chicken is to cut off the breasts as one piece. I find this difficult as one must be delicate to cut meat cleanly from the sternum but yet so strong as to cut through the sternum so that the keel remains with the meat.

It is sad to say that I have to now roast chickens as our one frying pan which was so large that it could hold an entire chicken broke. It requires nearly twice as much time in an oven than it does on a burner and the rosemary and dill on it tend to char. We mean to buy a new frying pan of proper size but we forget each time when we go to the city where they can be purchased. There are none available locally and ordering a large cast-iron pan entails a high shipping cost.

Happy holidays to you!  Roast chicken is one of my very favorite foods; I think I actually prefer it to turkey during Thanksgiving.  I usually avoid the cooking process entirely by purchasing a fully cooked one (plain, no seasonings) and then dress it up with my own spices and rubs.  

I'm woefully low on basic kitchen equipment -- need to upgrade -- and have decided to purchase a set of cookware from the QVC shopping channel.  They have some good bargains!

Happy, and blessed 2017 to one and all!! 

Hope you and mom have a wonderful New Year, Miss B!! 

who wouldn't want Cary Grant as an angel, lol?  Better than Clarence

Agh.. Cary's Dudley creeps me out. I am not sure why exactly.. but I have NEVER liked him in that role. eek! Give me Clarence ANY day.. ha. (silly me, I know) :D

Ha! I think I know what you mean about Dudley -- Cary puts an uneasy spin of mystery and sexual allure into his angel.  You never know if he's about to plant a kiss or let loose the demons of Hell to teach us a lesson, lol.   Don't get me wrong -- I do love Clarence but wouldn't want to spend New Year's Eve with him, if you get my drift.  (oooh, I'm bad)

Happy New Year, molo!  Hope everyone had a safe and fun holiday.

I'm enjoying the Hitchcock and Twilight Zone marathons on TCM and the Syfy Channel.

I laid in a tasty supply of snacks -- lox, cream cheese, bagels, fresh squeezed orange juice, Stella D'Oro Breakfast Treats, Cape Cod smoked gouda potato chips (a limited flavor), and Pepperidge Farm German Chocolate cake.

Watched THE MUMMY'S GHOST last night on Svengoolie.  It must be the dullest of the Mummy sequels.  Ramsey Ames makes an attractive reincarnated Princess Ananka but her acting skills are limited.  Ditto for Robert Lowery.  They're a snooze-worthy couple.  (the Toto dog is cute, though, and more animated than anyone else in this movie)

• 1 month later...

Hi Barb

Thinking on your famed posting of the London bus ride, I ran across the below and thought of you. How about a cab ride from Nice to Vintimilla! I'm not an inveterate watcher of these things though they can be relaxing. This one is above-average scenic so why not give it a try. Since it's running through a city there are several stops of various duration that will afford the opportunity to rush the to dining car for a cup of coffee and maybe even a sandwich. There are a number of tunnels (that make me queasy) but I can assure you there will be no head-on collisions in any of them as I am still here to tell the tale. And we get looks of what I seem to feel is the Mediterranean Sea (though I have not researched the geography. But I know that Nice is in the Southland) Lots of buildings, some people, etc... This is my fave so far. Some of these cab drives are boring but this is better. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Hi, matey! First of all, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to you and all my TCM family!

Can't tell you how much I LOVED this train ride!  Oh my gosh, it went through all the South of France cities I'd love to visit -- Ville-Franche, Menton, Eze, and what a surprise when they arrived in Monte Carlo!  That was totally unexpected, seeing the stylish station and those casually chic people with lots of shopping bags.  Yes, the tunnels were scary! Every time I saw one coming I cringed, lol.  

Thanks so much, my friend!

Here is my Valentine's Day video for everyone:

!

• Like 1

So glad you enjoyed. I don't even know of those cities you mentioned but it was a thrill (sort of, you know) to see the Monte Carlo sign. I wanted to get off the train right there but I was not able to for some reason. I don't know about you but when I kept my eyes glued to the screen on the long slow downs ending finally to a full stop my stomach churned. I think my tummy wanted to keep going. It's not surprising though that when at full speed a harsh pause caused nothing. Even I can understand the science there.

Happy Valentine to you as well as all those who frequent this venerable thread.

Thanks for the video. Cute.

laffite

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear TCM Friends,

My mom, aka Bronxgirl's Mother, passed away peacefully this afternoon at a hospice center here in Boca Raton.  She was 96 years old.  Her heart just gave out.

Mom was famous for her incisive and unintentionally hilarious film reviews, a few of which I'll track down and re-post.

Her favorite actresses were Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.  She adored Clark Gable and William Holden, not necessarily for their talent.  Ronald Colman caused a few flutters as well. 

Mom was very fond of LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING,  NOW VOYAGER, MILDRED PIERCE and GONE WITH THE WIND.

She never cared for the original KING KONG.  Told it was a classic, Mom would reply:  "A giant gorilla is silly"

Mom would ask me if Cary Grant and John Garfield were still alive, but I put that down to her increasing dementia. 

I would like her thread to continue.

I am very sorry for your loss. She had a long and interesting life and passed peacefully. Those are all great blessings. That she instilled in you a love of classics movies proves she was a good person at heart and wished to share the good things in the world with those she loved.

You have my sympathy for what you will experience in the coming weeks. Allow yourself to grieve. Allow the acceptance of her passing to come naturally. Do not try to overthink it or try to conquer the feelings. It is a difficult time and only time can heal the wounds.

You are in our prayers. 

• Like 1

This is sad news. But what a treat it was to "meet" her through your stories. Sounds like she lived a full life in addition to raising a fine daughter.

I hope the sadness you have today will soon give way to wonderful memories. Know that so many people here liked her and we are grateful you brought her to us.

My sincere condolences. Prayers for you and the family.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Much love to you, dear girl. And God bless you as you remember her. It is never easy to say goodbye to the ones we love and  I know she will be dearly missed.

You took such good care of her and the stories you have told of your many conversations with her always brought a smile. So now it is time to take good care of yourself, little missy and know that many here are sending you love, and warm thoughts.

May God grant you his peace and bless you with his comfort now and always. Sending a huge hug your way, dear friend. :)

• Like 1

Your Mom was tops Barb! So sad to hear this news.

I loved hearing her thoughts on films and always enjoyed the conversations between you both that you would lovingly share with us. 

These past years you have been by her side through all the ups and downs. That is a treasure that can never be taken from you.

Take care of yourself during the difficult days ahead.  

Sending big hugs to you my dear friend.

God bless you and your wonderful mom.

Although I am relatively new to this thread, I am very sorry to hear this news. I wonder if your mother and my mother met in a parallel universe: They share so many movie and movie star likes!

I am looking forward to your re-posts. And I hope posting them will make the upcoming days easier for you.

• Like 1

I am very sorry for your loss. She had a long and interesting life and passed peacefully. Those are all great blessings. That she instilled in you a love of classics movies proves she was a good person at heart and wished to share the good things in the world with those she loved.

You have my sympathy for what you will experience in the coming weeks. Allow yourself to grieve. Allow the acceptance of her passing to come naturally. Do not try to overthink it or try to conquer the feelings. It is a difficult time and only time can heal the wounds.

You are in our prayers. 

SansFin, thank you so much for your words of comfort.  It is still rather surreal for me.  Things haven't really sunk in yet, even though I'm coordinating and attending to all the arrangements with a clear head and a deceptively calm exterior.

This is sad news. But what a treat it was to "meet" her through your stories. Sounds like she lived a full life in addition to raising a fine daughter.

I hope the sadness you have today will soon give way to wonderful memories. Know that so many people here liked her and we are grateful you brought her to us.

My sincere condolences. Prayers for you and the family.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, your generous and kind words touch me so much.  Thank you my friend.  Mom loved you all.

• Like 1

Much love to you, dear girl. And God bless you as you remember her. It is never easy to say goodbye to the ones we love and  I know she will be dearly missed.

You took such good care of her and the stories you have told of your many conversations with her always brought a smile. So now it is time to take good care of yourself, little missy and know that many here are sending you love, and warm thoughts.

May God grant you his peace and bless you with his comfort now and always. Sending a huge hug your way, dear friend. :)

Kathy, I am so blessed to know you.  You are an angel here on Earth, bringing me your compassion, wisdom, and spiritual comfort.

Thanks, twinnie.

Your Mom was tops Barb! So sad to hear this news.

I loved hearing her thoughts on films and always enjoyed the conversations between you both that you would lovingly share with us. 

These past years you have been by her side through all the ups and downs. That is a treasure that can never be taken from you.

Take care of yourself during the difficult days ahead.  

Sending big hugs to you my dear friend.

God bless you and your wonderful mom.

Molo my dear friend, you are a very special and loving person and I'm so grateful to know you.  We had two very wonderful, strong mothers. 

They will live in our hearts forever.

Blessings.