Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Wait a sec, I wrote you this long PM on your birthday and actually forgot to mention your birthday!!!

Oops!!

I guess I really am a turkey!!

TCM-thanksgiving-day.jpg

Well Happy Very Belated Birthday Wishes Bronxie and

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone here at TCM!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Molo -- You are NOT a turkey but a beautiful bird of paradise!  Thanks for the birthday and holiday greetings!

SansFin, that is hilarious!! 

To both of you and everyone in our TCM family, HAPPY THANKSGIVING

(I'm having some problems uploading photos....will try again tomorrow.

What are y'all eating?  I'm making my usual Cornish game hens with apricot sauce (I enjoy turkey the rest of the year), cornbread stuffing, Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, apple pie, chocolate eclairs, cider, and Snoopy popcorn, lol.

• Like 1

Thank you kindly, Ro!  I love my Brussel sprouts, my widdle cabbage babies, lol.  (they're even better bacon wrapped but I forgot about that this year)

I always buy Mexican fixings -- corn tortillas, mole sauce, avocados, salsa, black beans, for the Day After because it goes so good with leftovers, very tasty.  Not much meat on those Cornish game hens but what there is, is cherce.

My Thanksgiving was pleasant -- I binge-watched some Hallmark Channel Christmas movies -- they are all truly cringeworthy.  The scripts (and actors) seem untouched by human hands.  Cheapjack production on every level.  They're filmed in Vancouver but all the stories are set in the States.  But the Canadians do manage to sneak in some Canuck pride -- during many of the movies they make no effort to change the Vancouver store front names, lol.  O Canada!  

My blessings to you and your family back at you my dear friend.  Hope your holiday was wonderful!

• Like 4

I am happy to say that my Thanksgiving was uneventful. I finished installing the carpet in the transition area between hallway and living room. I made great headway in sorting the items in one large junk drawer into smaller drawers. I found a remote for the television which we replaced last year. I won $40 on a $2 scratch-off lottery ticket!

I did not bother to make a meal. I ate the best parts of the leftovers in the refrigerator and threw away the rest of them so that now the refrigerator is relatively clean. The only 'new' thing I ate was a complete package of chocolate-mint cookies.

Capuchin left Wednesday and I do not expect him to return before Monday or Tuesday. 

I miss him a little but it is no hardship that he is gone for this time because Thanksgiving is not one of my holidays. I am coming to enjoy it but it is not close to my heart.

I braved the Black Friday crowd by going out at approx. ten o'clock today to purchase a vacuum cleaner at Lowe's. I now have to determine best placement before Capuchin's return. I will not tell him of it and will wait for him to be surprised. I hope he approves as I put it on his credit card.

My movie watching yesterday and today has been minimal because I am working through the Diana Rigg/Emma Peel seasons of: The Avengers on Tubi. I did watch: Alice in Wonderland (2010) which I love despite its reviews, Ran (1985), My Neighbor Totoro (1988) and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990).

• Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thank you kindly, Ro!  I love my Brussel sprouts, my widdle cabbage babies, lol.  (they're even better bacon wrapped but I forgot about that this year)

I always buy Mexican fixings -- corn tortillas, mole sauce, avocados, salsa, black beans, for the Day After because it goes so good with leftovers, very tasty.  Not much meat on those Cornish game hens but what there is, is cherce.

My Thanksgiving was pleasant -- I binge-watched some Hallmark Channel Christmas movies -- they are all truly cringeworthy.  The scripts (and actors) seem untouched by human hands.  Cheapjack production on every level.  They're filmed in Vancouver but all the stories are set in the States.  But the Canadians do manage to sneak in some Canuck pride -- during many of the movies they make no effort to change the Vancouver store front names, lol.  O Canada!  

My blessings to you and your family back at you my dear friend.  Hope your holiday was wonderful!

I know I'm not one of your buds, but I enjoy this thread. I loved your take on the Hallmark movies. They're mind-numbingly perfect for these trying times. I got sucked in last year and truly marvel at the endless variations on one or two threadbare plotlines which they're able to spin out time after time. I especially like (Is that the word?) the ones where the city girl goes home and gets caught up in the tulip festival, the pumpkin festival, the apple festival, the winter festival, etc. etc. I swear I'm going to write one before I die. How hard could it be? After two or three of them, they've totally spelled out the formula. My favorite subgenre is the American finding out her boyfriend is a European royal and getting all befuddled by palace protocol, etc. I keep thinking there couldn't be any more names left to call fictional monarchies, but they keep coming up with new ones.

Anyone who features Brussel sprouts at a holiday meal is A-OK with me. Also a fan.

• Like 4

Dougie, I'm so honored you enjoy my humble efforts!  You're a bud now! I so appreciate your kind comments.  Oh my gosh your description of Hallmark (I've dubbed them Hackmark) is PERFECT!!!  The "royal" ones are beyond ridiculous.  I saw one -- I think the name is MY CHRISTMAS PRINCE, with a rapidly decaying Roger Moore -- where the doorbell rings at a Buffalo, New York household.  "Allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Paisley Winterbottom.  I am the butler to your grandfather the Duke of Blah-Blah-bury".  You are invited to spend Christmas at the castle.  Here are your tickets.  Please come"  And the production values, lol.  Filmed in Vancouver in the summer (those poor sweltering actors) so for the stories set around or near Thanksgiving, little "autumnal" bushes are planted indiscriminately around the conspicuous greenery.  Who do they think they're fooling?  Suspension of disbelief does not work in this case, lol.  I'd sooner believe that a man in an ape suit and helmet is Ro-Man from outer space. 

• Like 3

You may have hit on something. The carried-off-by-an-ape plot is one they haven't gotten to yet, especially robotic outer space ones. Copyright it now! Loved your thoughts and prayers for the poor sweltering actors and I see you have a sharp eye for the identical potted "autumnal" shrubs with the same twisty trunks which they cart from location to location (and from movie to movie) on a flatbed truck. There are the inevitable cherished family "heirlooms" which the prop department obviously picked up for a song from the clearance rack at Pier 1. My favorite is when they cover up a pile of who-knows-what to make a snow drift and you can see the wrinkles in the cloth. I never quite understood that one of the consequences of being a movie lover would be that I would resort to this stuff, but it beats reality any day. It's a comfort to know that somewhere across the globe someone else is chuckling too. And have a great Christmas for real!

• Like 1

Pier 1, LOL.  Dougie, I think YOU'VE got the sharper eye -- now I'm going to look for the wrinkled snow!

ROBOT MONSTER is one of my favorites...."Hugh-maan!"  In the pantheon of the Great Worsts.  

The Hallmark obsession with Pride and Prejudice is just hilarious.  They name every male (and female) protagonist "Darcy".  Last night I watched their latest -- "Pride, Prejudice and Mistletoe".  So dull even Lacey Chabert looked bored.  I saw Beau Bridges in one -- his eyebrows threatened to take over the entire town -- playing of all things a heavenly messager.  It was "Christmas in Angel Falls".  

These Hallmark things frighten me more than MR. SARDONICUS which aired on Svengoolie Saturday evening and was a traumatic part of my childhood.  That ghoul face was truly horrific.  I decided to put on my big girl boots and watch a bit of it.  My fear was somewhat mitigated when William Castle broke in with "The Punishment Poll".  (yeah, like there was really an alternate ending....)

The best Christmas to you as well, Dougie!  Don't be a stranger! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DougieB said:

The carried-off-by-an-ape plot is one they haven't gotten to yet, especially robotic outer space ones. 

You may be happy to learn that in production is a movie of the relationship between an "I only made that movie because I needed the money" bimbette and her co-star who she learns is the love-child of: The Creature From the Black Lagoon and an African bat. 

XiQ8ZK5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, SansFin said:

You may be happy to learn that in production is a movie of the relationship between an "I only made that movie because I needed the money" bimbette and her co-star who she learns is the love-child of: The Creature From the Black Lagoon and an African bat. 

XiQ8ZK5.jpg

For someone with such a distinguished lineage, his tentacles are wandering unconscionably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/24/2018 at 1:01 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Haven't seen any of the movies you mention.  I must be gettin' old....

I am sorry that I have taken so long to address this issue.

Alice in Wonderland (2010) I have seen a great deal of criticism of this movie. I must wonder if it is because expectations were so very high. It is: Tim Burton (The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Corpse Bride (2005)) and Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean (2003), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)) in a Disney movie with Helena Bonham Carter and Crispin Glover. It does seem that the movie should be perfect.

I am sad to say that it is not. The CGI is astounding but it is still CGI. It in many ways seems to me to be more of a technical-craft movie than whimsical surrealism. I find it emotionally quite flat.

I like it sufficiently to have purchased the DVD and rewatch it at intervals but I do not question the taste or intelligence of people who do not like it.

Ran (1985) This is a version of King Lear set in Japan and directed by Akira Kurosawa. It is a very powerful and intense movie.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988) This is one of my favourite movies of all time! It is innocent beyond belief but does not stoop to sickly sweetness. It is a world with soot sprites which take over old houses and spread dust everywhere but which scatter when people come near. Friendly monsters nap in forest glades. Giant cats carry you wherever you wish to go.

Hayao Miyazaki is best known for: Spirited Away (2001) and Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) but I love this movie much more.

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990) This was a play written by Tom Stoppard and directed by him as a movie. Gary Oldman and Tim Roth are such minor characters in Hamlet that they are unsure which is Rosencrantz and which is Guildenstern. Their story intersects with Hamlet but they are very much actors given no direction and are seeking meaning in the world. 

Player: Audiences know what they expect and that is all they are prepared to believe in.

I feel very strongly that the last two should be required viewing for all. Their humour could not be more different but are two of the best movies ever made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, SansFin said:

I feel very strongly that the last two should be required viewing for all. Their humour could not be more different but are two of the best movies ever made.

Both are great choices. Miyazaki is one of the best modern fantasists (or fabulists or whatever). The innocence you mentioned sets him apart from Tim Burton, who tends to veer to "the Dark Side". Miyazaki's worlds are ones you can inhabit without fear.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is a genius concept, and it wasn't Stoppard's only one in his long career. Anyone who can find room for himself inside the realm of Shakespeare is my kind of playwright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

SansFin and Dougie, I really appreciate your articulate commentaries on these movies.

Being articulate is so hard, kids. SansFin is lucky to have it be without end, as shown in that thoughtfully considered analysis. The most I usually manage is the occasional snappy comeback. I usually have to shut down by 2 P.M. now that I'm in my "mellow" years. Also, I try to do alternate days only. Now I'm off to see what my buds in Vancouver are up to...

• Like 1

Dougie, I'm a fellow member of the "mellow" club but can assure you that you are definitely more than just snappy comebacks, good sir (or madam, might you tell me which?)

Buds in Vancouver?  Do you mean Hallmark, lol?

I'm a sir, but maybe we should leave the "good" part on the table, still to be determined. (Hope Santa's not listening.) But I'm a sir who strays beyond the bounds of what's acceptably masculine in some quarters, hint hint, wink wink. But, in the words of that great American philosopher, Bette Midler: "**** 'em if they can't take a joke."

I absolutely meant our Hackmark buds. I also just discovered that Lifetime has their own brand of cinematic drool....There goes my winter.

P.S. Just so you know, I self-censored but left the first letter only, which was still too much apparently. Sorry, mods. Santa's never going to get over this.

Edited by DougieB
Edited for language.
  • Like 1