Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bronxgirl48

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:54 AM, DougieB said:

Being articulate is so hard, kids. SansFin is lucky to have it be without end

I thank you for your kind words but flattery will get you nowhere. :) I have reached the point where I no longer feel it is a total fib to claim that I am fluent in writing English but it will be many years yet before I can hope to nibble at the edges of being articulate in it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SansFin said:

I thank you for your kind words but flattery will get you nowhere. :)I have reached the point where I no longer feel it is a total fib to claim that I am fluent in writing English but it will be many years yet before I can hope to nibble at the edges of being articulate in it.

You're way more than fluent but, regardless, we speak with ours minds, not our mouths, and your brain is everywhere in evidence. It's one of the reasons I've lurked on the fringes of this thread, to soak up the camaraderie and overall intelligence of the posters here in Bronxieland. You can all do zingers with the best of them, but there's none of the oneupsmanship you see in the outskirts. Now that we've reached such a dismal low point as a society, it means everything to have a safe space where you feel like you can come in without knocking, grab something from the fridge and flop down in a comfy chair. (But I'll keep my feet off the coffee table, I promise, Bronxie.) The talk goes in all directions, from the sublime to the ridiculous...and the recipes! I'm just so glad you're all here holding down the fort and I fully intend to drop by from time to time.

• Like 2

I do hope that all here will remember to put their shoes out tomorrow night so that St. Nicholas might fill them with goodies. 

I wish all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays no matter your what traditions and beliefs may be. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, DougieB said:

You're way more than fluent but, regardless, we speak with ours minds, not our mouths, and your brain is everywhere in evidence. It's one of the reasons I've lurked on the fringes of this thread, to soak up the camaraderie and overall intelligence of the posters here in Bronxieland. You can all do zingers with the best of them, but there's none of the oneupsmanship you see in the outskirts. Now that we've reached such a dismal low point as a society, it means everything to have a safe space where you feel like you can come in without knocking, grab something from the fridge and flop down in a comfy chair. (But I'll keep my feet off the coffee table, I promise, Bronxie.) The talk goes in all directions, from the sublime to the ridiculous...and the recipes! I'm just so glad you're all here holding down the fort and I fully intend to drop by from time to time.

Wow, Dougie, I cannot tell you how humble and grateful I am for your generous comments about this thread.  I've sort of always hoped it would be a place of silly fun, "seriousness", and humanity.  (why does that sound so pretentious??)

And for the record you can put your feet ON the coffee table any time you want!

Boring recipes this year for Christmas I'm afraid.  Just roast chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and a store-bought apple pie.

For some reason I decided to pick up a box of Hostess Suzy Q's.  I never tried them before.  Big mistake is all I will say.  

Yes, the Lifetime movies are like a clone of Hackmark with just a tad more "grit" (meaning the kisses between leading lady and boyfriend last more than ten seconds).  And I discovered ION.  Good grief.  More pod people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thank you so much, Rich!  

Send Tor my holiday regards!

It is almost his "time for go down chimney."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Silly, serious and humane....not pretentious at all. It's so you.

Suzy Q's aren't for the faint of heart. That was very brave of you. I just got a minor variation from Trader Joe's, all done up with fancy little holiday frosting bows, but only slightly less gag-worthy than the Hostess ilk, despite the superior decorating skills.

Also going the mashed potato/green bean route. I like a little sour cream in the potato. Makes me feel like I can cook.

I never would have thought that TV pod people could hold me in their thrall the way these dopes do. Let's hope that the world gets straightened out enough so that we can wean ourselves from this crippling addiction. 

• Like 1

Forgive my repetitiveness, Doug, but you really are a generous soul.  Thank you my friend.

I'm an old Hostess snack cake fan from back in the day but I was frankly disgusted with the Suzy Q's, lol.  Discretion will not permit me to describe what I would liken them to...

Never bought anything from Trader Joe's.  I've heard varying reports.

I love sour cream.  Used to put it on top of sliced bananas for breakfast when I was a kidlet.

Yes, WHAT IS IT about these soulless Christmas productions?  They don't even rise to the level of cheesiness, because to me at least, cheesiness implies a certain human imperfection.  Hallmark and Co. don't even reach that level because they seem to be in some synthetic alternate reality universe but I cannot stop watching.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Forgive my repetitiveness, Doug, but you really are a generous soul.  Thank you my friend.

I'm an old Hostess snack cake fan from back in the day but I was frankly disgusted with the Suzy Q's, lol.  Discretion will not permit me to describe what I would liken them to...

Never bought anything from Trader Joe's.  I've heard varying reports.

I love sour cream.  Used to put it on top of sliced bananas for breakfast when I was a kidlet.

Yes, WHAT IS IT about these soulless Christmas productions?  They don't even rise to the level of cheesiness, because to me at least, cheesiness implies a certain human imperfection.  Hallmark and Co. don't even reach that level because they seem to be in some synthetic alternate reality universe but I cannot stop watching.

Kidlets have the best approach: I like these two things so I'll just put them together. I just froze all my ripe bananas yesterday, but I can't wait to try this glorious concoction.

Trader Joe's has some good stuff (especially their produce), but an awful lot of supposedly "healthy alternative" knockoffs of popular brands. This year there was a peppermint stick Jo-Jo's, their knockoff of Oreos, which I rated: YUM.

Yes, I also think cheesiness implies a certain amount of good intention which falls short. Not a lot of good intention in the halls of Hackmark. More like "Let's just shovel this load of *%#! their way and they'll watch it like they always do". The thing for the new year is that they're going to premiere a new movie every week. Calm down; you're not HBO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dougie, ever see SUSAN SLEPT HERE?  Debbie Reynolds enjoys mixed pickles with strawberries and it's always sounded so tasty to me, lol.  Sweet and sour, my favorite taste combo!

I've tried the Paul Newman "Oreos" and they're good -- a more "subtle" taste but frankly for me nothing can beat the originals of everything we knew and loved as tots.

I've said it ad nauseum and I'll say it again -- Hallmark is run by aliens.  No other explanation is possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had Susan Slept Here on as background the other day and caught the pickles and strawberries scene. When you think of it, each has an element of sweet and each an element of sour, therefore putting them together a la Debbie Reynolds is a good idea according to the Unified Theory of Kidlet Combinations. It was obviously meant to let us geniuses in the audience know she might be preggers but, you're right, it triggers the yum factor in the brain.

I think maybe the aliens running Hackmark have a scheme to harvest some kind of intellectual bit coin from our brains as we passively let them unspool their weird fantasies in front of us. They're probably sending the proceeds back to their home planet to buy Ro-Man a full-body suit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rohanaka said:

Best wishes to you, Miss B. Have a truly happy Christmas and a blessed New Year! :) 

Thank you so very very kindly Ma!  

You as well my friend, my friend!

20 hours ago, DougieB said:

I had Susan Slept Here on as background the other day and caught the pickles and strawberries scene. When you think of it, each has an element of sweet and each an element of sour, therefore putting them together a la Debbie Reynolds is a good idea according to the Unified Theory of Kidlet Combinations. It was obviously meant to let us geniuses in the audience know she might be preggers but, you're right, it triggers the yum factor in the brain.

I think maybe the aliens running Hackmark have a scheme to harvest some kind of intellectual bit coin from our brains as we passively let them unspool their weird fantasies in front of us. They're probably sending the proceeds back to their home planet to buy Ro-Man a full-body suit.

Hard to believe that the SUSAN SLEPT HERE plotline made it through the censors but after watching 1939's BACHELOR MOTHER I'm even more surprised.  (then of course there's THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK)

There is, however, one thing our space creatures cannot replicate in the Hackmark productions and that is.....singing.  Ever hear these pod actors open their mouths to warble Christmas tunes or anything else?  Almost as embarrassing as the stories.

• Haha 1

OMG, the singing! The superstar who supposedly just sold out Madison Square Garden goes home and falls for the woman mucking out the stables, clinching the deal with a song which in actuality would clear Madison Square Garden in two seconds flat. We take our inspiration where we find it, eh?

Hackmark has taken a very sinister turn by importing "names" like Debbie Gibson and LeeAnn Rimes and...Gasp!..Mariah Carey. Stay in your own lane, ladies. There's only so much we can handle.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, scsu1975 said:

It is almost his "time for go down chimney."

Rich, I just saw THE BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS and have to say that the poignant ending with Tor and that wild hare reminded me of the ending to the classic anti-war movie ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.

After watching BEAST I went to The Classic Horror Film Board and discovered that someone from five years ago posted the same thing!   Great minds, lol!

18 hours ago, DougieB said:

OMG, the singing! The superstar who supposedly just sold out Madison Square Garden goes home and falls for the woman mucking out the stables, clinching the deal with a song which in actuality would clear Madison Square Garden in two seconds flat. We take our inspiration where we find it, eh?

Hackmark has taken a very sinister turn by importing "names" like Debbie Gibson and LeeAnn Rimes and...Gasp!..Mariah Carey. Stay in your own lane, ladies. There's only so much we can handle.

You know your Hackmark!

Apart from the so-called singing, I'm waiting for future titles like Staten Island Noel, A Bronx Santa, Merry, Merry Brooklyn and A Queen's Christmas in Queens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You know your Hackmark!

Apart from the so-called singing, I'm waiting for future titles like Staten Island Noel, A Bronx Santa, Merry, Merry Brooklyn and A Queen's Christmas in Queens.

I vote for A Bronx Santa! Hope you have your audition tape ready.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Rich, I just saw THE BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS and have to say that the poignant ending with Tor and that wild hare reminded me of the ending to the classic anti-war movie ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.

After watching BEAST I went to The Classic Horror Film Board and discovered that someone from five years ago posted the same thing!   Great minds, lol!

You know, you're right. That never occurred to me before!

19 hours ago, DougieB said:

I vote for A Bronx Santa! Hope you have your audition tape ready.

I do!  The Canadians won't know what hit them, lol.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

You know, you're right. That never occurred to me before!

Scary, isn't it, lol?

Hi,

I saw your name and had to say hello. It has been awhile since we have chatted and I hope all is well in your world. 

You mentioned Susan Slept Here and I saw it for the first time last week. I was a little surprised at the premise but it was pleasant enough to watch. Debbie Reynolds sure was into her part.

Maybe I will check in more often. Haven't had a good movie discussion in some time.

Regards,

Chris