Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.


Recommended Posts

On 6/8/2020 at 5:19 AM, DougieB said:

Maybe Miss B could find you accommodations on the French Riviera (of her dreams). At least you'd be somewhat Paris-adjacent and since you'd be dreaming poverty wouldn't be an issue and you could do all the upgrading you want. Then why not fly us all over? My dreams have been pretty shabby lately. We could all meet up at that off-shore float Cary Grant and Grace Kelly were at in To Catch A Thief.

Paris adjacent? Well, maybe, in a way .... sorta. Still, I think you would need a pair of good seven-league boots to get there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope everyone's having lots of popcorn and pretzels and beer during these lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. Unfortunately, the crazy part is still foremost and this is really just a flimsy attempt to coax Barb into saying Hey, since this is the last congenial gathering spot on the TCM landscape. My state was an early one so we're doing OK right now, but Florida and some other states aren't and I'm a worrier, so what's up? I'm convinced that this is do-able, but we've all got to pay lots of attention and look out for each other. So, Barb, please be a good little Thomasina and put paw to keypad, if only for a quick "Meow". We could suspend the rules of comedy by royal proclamation so there'd be no pressure. I can think of valid reasons why you might not want to, but it would be reassuring to your not-cyber-only friends.  🙂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all! Such a long time!

Have any of you seen Purple Noon (Plein Soleil)? That's a gorgeous Riviera movie. Bronxie, you might like it because it's classy-sexy and kind of dark too (Delon's character). It was remade as The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Miss G

image.thumb.png.d3585f125298f9ee56926005419bc9e5.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 11:16 PM, SansFin said:

I did not bake these but I feel they would be a festive little touch at present:

GY8g3ma.jpg

 

Aww....they look so sad.  But adorable!

SansFin, I don't think I've seen any of those movies!  Impressive list.  I'll bet many of them can be found on YouTube, which would be a good thing since TCM will probably feel pressure not to air the "Oriental" detectives like Charlie Chan, Mr. Wong and Mr. Moto.   I feel bad about this but will say no more....     

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 8:51 AM, DougieB said:

Hope everyone's having lots of popcorn and pretzels and beer during these lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. Unfortunately, the crazy part is still foremost and this is really just a flimsy attempt to coax Barb into saying Hey, since this is the last congenial gathering spot on the TCM landscape. My state was an early one so we're doing OK right now, but Florida and some other states aren't and I'm a worrier, so what's up? I'm convinced that this is do-able, but we've all got to pay lots of attention and look out for each other. So, Barb, please be a good little Thomasina and put paw to keypad, if only for a quick "Meow". We could suspend the rules of comedy by royal proclamation so there'd be no pressure. I can think of valid reasons why you might not want to, but it would be reassuring to your not-cyber-only friends.  🙂

Meow!

Thank you, Dougie!  I'm still here for what it's worth....feeling a bit down in the dumps lately, you'll understand why since we in Florida have a cretin for governor....(plus he doesn't even know how to put on a mask, much less mandate them across the board for our state)  Insanity rules!

I'll be back tomorrow in (I hope) a jollier mood.  Bear with me, guys.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonjour, Miss G!  How fabulous to have you back! Just like old times....I remember them well.    Let's all go to Deauville!  

I've only seen bits and pieces of PURPLE NOON but want to rectify that situation.  Alain Delon -- ooh la la.  Dangerous.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Barb, I have an idea. Why don't you visit San Diego? I happen to know that the weather is exactly the same as the Riviera. 'Course there might be a dearth of Frenchiness, etc,  and I doubt that you'll find Alain here. But it's ... it's ... oh heck, it's boring. Never mind. You're better off dreaming ...

Hi MissG, how wonderful to see a post from you!

laffite

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Barb! Glad to see you post. My younger one lives in your neck of the woods. Not so great there now and I agree that Gov, well I don't want to say what I think about him . Stay in, safe and please stay on the bds.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, laffite said:

Hey Barb, I have an idea. Why don't you visit San Diego? I happen to know that the weather is exactly the same as the Riviera. 'Course there might be a dearth of Frenchiness, etc,  and I doubt that you'll find Alain here. But it's ... it's ... oh heck, it's boring. Never mind. You're better off dreaming ...

Hi MissG, how wonderful to see a post from you!

laffite

Miss G, haven't seen a post from you in years. I always enjoyed reading your posts, I've been on the bds. 12 years and I remember when you and a few others were regulars on the bds. Hope you stay on the bds.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I remember when you and a few others were regulars

I think there should be a reunion and discuss a movie. How about In a Lonely Place? Oh wait, maybe not that one, haha. Something simple like...like...The Big Sleep, easy to understand. :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the warm welcome back! I'm sticking to this thread for now but it feels good to see familiar monikers and read kind words.

I'm moving down to Bronxie's part of the world which is what prompted me to reach out.

Lafitte, merci beaucoup for the SWEEPING welcome. Sigh. I shall ever remain a "Gone Girl". And ha ha! In a Lonely Place. That was an EPIC discussion. Ah, brings back memories...

And I'm all up for a discussion as I have time on my hands when I'm not packing.

Bronxie, Purple Noon is probably Delon at his prime and the story is a good one. Personally, my taste veers more toward Gabin. Now there was a man.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way Bronxie, I found another "urchin". Well, clad in breeches and broadcloth, lol. The thing is, he is only about 6 years old yet he looks just like...OLIVER REED.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Pay no attention to those glitches I can't seem to get rid of right now.

Oh yes I'm back -- can't you tell, lol?

Didn't notice a thing. Seemed like a graceful reentry to me. 😉

Just when I thought Maurice was wrapping it up, out came the dancing girls! Bravo! Can't tell you how far that went in sweeping the clouds away for me. And I loved the travelogue. I'm so used to those James Fitzpatrick Travel Talks/home movies on TCM that it was nice to see something with all that Air France money behind it. For me, airplanes will always be those big silver behemoths with the propellers. Loved the bikinis circa 1949, when poor Esther Williams was still dressed to the gills in one-piece Catalinas. Thanks for the memories.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

 

SansFin, I don't think I've seen any of those movies!  Impressive list.  I'll bet many of them can be found on YouTube, which would be a good thing since TCM will probably feel pressure not to air the "Oriental" detectives like Charlie Chan, Mr. Wong and Mr. Moto.   I feel bad about this but will say no more....     

They are all movies which I found on: Amazon Prime Video after I ran through all of the television programs and movies which lured me to subscribe. I felt the need to justify paying the $9.75 per month. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MissGoddess said:

By the way Bronxie, I found another "urchin". Well, clad in breeches and broadcloth, lol. The thing is, he is only about 6 years old yet he looks just like...OLIVER REED.

Ah yes, my notorious urchin aversion!  You remember!

Oh my gosh, lol.  I'm trying to picture it.    Handsome and creepy at the same time!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DougieB said:

Didn't notice a thing. Seemed like a graceful reentry to me. 😉

Just when I thought Maurice was wrapping it up, out came the dancing girls! Bravo! Can't tell you how far that went in sweeping the clouds away for me. And I loved the travelogue. I'm so used to those James Fitzpatrick Travel Talks/home movies on TCM that it was nice to see something with all that Air France money behind it. For me, airplanes will always be those big silver behemoths with the propellers. Loved the bikinis circa 1949, when poor Esther Williams was still dressed to the gills in one-piece Catalinas. Thanks for the memories.

Dougie, you didn't see anything else except Maurice and the Riviera travelogue?  Whew!  From my end I see some aborted Google images that are "stuck" on like a regular post and I can't seem to erase them. 

Glad you enjoyed these -- Personally, those FitzPatrick Travel things are kind of, well....of their time let me say...."And here is a picturesque ethnic festival with the villagers in their local garb, dancing and singing for us Westerners", etc.   You know what I mean, lol.   Although I do love his voice.    

The Riveria must have been a dream come true in 1949 for many, after the privations of WWII.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Hi Barb! Glad to see you post. My younger one lives in your neck of the woods. Not so great there now and I agree that Gov, well I don't want to say what I think about him . Stay in, safe and please stay on the bds.

Hi, lavender!  Yeah, it's pretty crazy down here as you know....

Plus of course it's hurricane season, ugh.   Just what we'd need.

Thank you so much, my friend.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 3:48 PM, laffite said:

I think there should be a reunion and discuss a movie. How about In a Lonely Place? Oh wait, maybe not that one, haha. Something simple like...like...The Big Sleep, easy to understand. :lol:

Hi, matey!   

lol.   Wouldn't want Bronxgirl's Mother thread to usurp/hijack the other forums in terms of their individual genres.  Not sure about this in "etiquette" terms.   Correct me if I'm off base about this!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...