Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

MV5BMTY0NTY2MzQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU2

Never heard of this one, I rented from NetF for curiosity.  I got through it though it was tough going in spots. David Niven gets second billing after Joan Caulfield. This latter was the favored one and no surprise, her husband directed and I wonder how many times Joan must have said, "I'm ready for my close-up." She has a dream sequence where she dances lasciviously around David Niven who is tied up around a tree.  She sinuously twists and turns and she wasn't simply awful I would say nevertheless that she was still fourteen lags of a real temptress. She vindicates herself later by jumping up and down in a bar scene and she is cute as a button. David Niven plays romantic comedies but I haven't seen him one that borders on screwball territory in places. He's very good and charming as ever, he plays very well, in fact he might even steal the show.  That sophistication cannot disappear completely and there is enough there for Niven fans not to be offended. Acting good all around. Peggy Maley gets a mention from me. Henry Jones (a friend of Sargent Bilko) is in there too. He is married to Lenore Lonergan and at one point he says finally admitting, "Nuts, honey, I love you." She says overjoyed, "Say that again!"  He says, "Nuts." There are funnier lines than that but this is the only one I remember laughing out load. Shame. Henry and Lenore get a lot of attention near the end, as a diversion in advance of the togethering of the principals. I would be remiss in not mentioning James Robertson Justice, who has a great entrance scene as a husband who disappears from time to time something that his wife (Francis Bavier) seems to be used to. He is a great in his opening scene but gets boring after that. This gets a 5.4 on IMDB but it's better than that. There are some funny lines. If I were a girl I would probably have a crush on David..  Niven is a photographer for Life Magazine and is on assignment to interview Caulfield, an author of a book that entitled the same as the movie.  This is a battle of the sexes and early on the photographer "blackmails" the author for a kiss. He gets the kiss but she had something up her sleeve and slugged him right after. The movie is no classic but it was likable and I feel good about surviving Joan Caulfield.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How y'all doin'?  

Hope everyone is keeping fit and healthy during these still tremendously stressful and frustrating times.

See the source image

Posted (edited)

*Just deleted a bunch of downer crap I had no business inflicting on anyone*.....

OR....We could ride this out and be OK. Guess we'll see. Sorry you asked? Don't be. I'm just in my usual muddle about everything in general. And you? I hope you're being like Maurice Chevalier in the clip you posted a while back ("Sweeping the Clouds Away") because we love to see you strutting your stuff!

Edited by DougieB
5 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Ack!  I never wrote that!

I wrote a bunch of downer crap and then  deleted it but left the rest of the post. Sorry for any confusion.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend a mine texted me just a couple of hours ago, "a dear cousin passed away suddenly yesterday---she was as beautiful a soul as that work. I will play [Leonard] Slatkin's live version in her memory." The work is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber. We had been talking about that piece recently and I told him that I would pay tribute to this lovely person as well, though I knew her only through "your kind and loving words about her." It will be, "...for her but also generalized to include all who suffer and who pass away unexpectedly but will not out of respect dare to mirror the intimacy and familial devotion and love that you obviously feel."

I have not consulted our friend and sweet hostess of this venerable old thread but I am certain that she would wholeheartedly consent to the playing of this beautiful music and for the purpose herein.

[Recall as well, that this music has been used God knows in how many movies, one of which at the end of The Elephant Man when poor David Merrick resolved by golly gee that he was going to lie down to sleep the night just a normal person would do.

Please enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MHeNt6Yjs

• Like 2

lafitte, my friend, thank you for blessing us with this music.   Beautiful.  Please tell your friend I offer my deepest condolences for the loss of his cousin.

No "consultations" are ever needed here.

16 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

No "consultations" are ever needed here.

Oh, I know that, you are too nice to consider that you might not approve. But I wanted to be courteous. 

Thanks for your thought, I will tell him.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone.

For those of you who remember how jolly, kind, respectful and truly fun it was to be on this message board, please know that I share your pain and sense of loss over what now seems to be a more mean-spirited, less harmonious atmosphere. 

It's hard moving forward and comforting to live in the past, but these days I'm very nostalgic for the way things used to be...

I know it might sound like I'm tooting my own horn, and I apologize in advance if this is the perception, but I offer an invitation for new (and veteran!) posters who would like to bring back at least a bit of, well, how things used to be, to drop into this thread every now and again, check it out, maybe read some of our old posts, then make up your own minds whether you would like to contribute in one form or another.  

• Like 1

I'm in. What's real estate going for on the Riviera these days?

So glad you made this offer. Many times I think about responding to a thread and then rethink it so as to not get "embroiled". When I do respond it's usually early enough in the thread that it hasn't gotten hijacked or messed with yet. This morning I actually thought for a brief moment of starting a thread about movies which get better and better the more you see them, after being enchanted yet again by Les Girls, the epitome to me of "mid-century" glamor and elegance. The witty  Orry-Kelly costumes and the imaginative sets, along with the sublime Kay Kendall, the rock-solid Mitzi Gaynor and the intriguing Taina Elg all make for a perfect entertainment package, in my opinion. It doesn't matter to me that you could drive the Super Chief through some of the plot holes. But then I thought: "Oh no, I'll have to cop to  that great dance number with the "native" styling." and I wilted because I knew the direction it would probably take from the second post on. Anyway, I know you hate fools but will tolerate foolishness if it's well-intentioned, so I hope you get your wish and your generous offer is taken up. Take her seriously, folks. She's the real deal.

7 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Hello, everyone.

For those of you who remember how jolly, kind, respectful and truly fun it was to be on this message board, please know that I share your pain and sense of loss over what now seems to be a more mean-spirited, less harmonious atmosphere. 

It's hard moving forward and comforting to live in the past, but these days I'm very nostalgic for the way things used to be...

I know it might sound like I'm tooting my own horn, and I apologize in advance if this is the perception, but I offer an invitation for new (and veteran!) posters who would like to bring back at least a bit of, well, how things used to be, to drop into this thread every now and again, check it out, maybe read some of our old posts, then make up your own minds whether you would like to contribute in one form or another.  

Speaking of tooting horns (of which you do not) let's move forward with this excellent idea and so kick off its inception with exhilarating auricular assurance, contributing in I hope some acceptable form (or other) of festivity for the way it was and the return to Days of Yore.

Get Ready ... Get Set  ... CLICK BELOW

• Like 1
20 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I've sensed from many of your recent posts that you're feeling that way, Bronxie. I'm sorry you're not having more fun. 

Thank you, Dan.   Hope I'm not being a Debbie Downer about all this. 

Of course I don't mean to imply that we should be Hallmark-y sweetness and light.  (as you and others might know, I cannot stand that channel, lol)  Just a bit more civil without sacrificing irreverence.

19 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm in. What's real estate going for on the Riviera these days?

So glad you made this offer. Many times I think about responding to a thread and then rethink it so as to not get "embroiled". When I do respond it's usually early enough in the thread that it hasn't gotten hijacked or messed with yet. This morning I actually thought for a brief moment of starting a thread about movies which get better and better the more you see them, after being enchanted yet again by Les Girls, the epitome to me of "mid-century" glamor and elegance. The witty  Orry-Kelly costumes and the imaginative sets, along with the sublime Kay Kendall, the rock-solid Mitzi Gaynor and the intriguing Taina Elg all make for a perfect entertainment package, in my opinion. It doesn't matter to me that you could drive the Super Chief through some of the plot holes. But then I thought: "Oh no, I'll have to cop to  that great dance number with the "native" styling." and I wilted because I knew the direction it would probably take from the second post on. Anyway, I know you hate fools but will tolerate foolishness if it's well-intentioned, so I hope you get your wish and your generous offer is taken up. Take her seriously, folks. She's the real deal.

Hi, Dougie.  I'm always humbled by your generous comments.  Thank you.

I'll just set up a shack on the Cote D'Azur and call it home.

I've only seen LES GIRLS in bits and pieces -- I love Kay Kendall, she's got such goosey, elegant British charm.  Mitzi is pert but that description really doesn't do her professionalism much justice.  Not so familiar with Taina, though.  I have to admit that I'm not usually that crazy about Gene Kelly.  There, I said it!  I know that might sound like heresy.  He's a great talent but sometimes, well, more than sometimes, rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe it's how Gene loves to tilt whatever hat he's wearing to the side like Maurice Chevalier.  Now, on Chevalier it comes across as charmingly Gallic but with Kelly, in my opinion, an annoying affectation!  Okay, come after me, guys, lol.  

14 hours ago, laffite said:

Speaking of tooting horns (of which you do not) let's move forward with this excellent idea and so kick off its inception with exhilarating auricular assurance, contributing in I hope some acceptable form (or other) of festivity for the way it was and the return to Days of Yore.

Get Ready ... Get Set  ... CLICK BELOW

lafitte, beautiful music my friend.  Thank you.

It would be nice to return to those halcyon days and nights here and everywhere on the TCM board...As Scarlett says to Ashley "Don't look back.  It gets so that you can't do anything but look back"  I am not of that opinion; at the same time, we cannot expect to always wallow in the past as if those times didn't have their own set of challenges.  So, I guess a good balance between the old and new would be the way to go...

My mother passed away on June 13, 2017 at the age of 96.   She was the impetus for this thread with her unique take on movies (and life in general).   I know her spirit is still with us, enjoying all the movies from above and still insisting that Diahann Carroll was once married to Cary Grant.

33 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

lafitte, beautiful music my friend.  Thank you.

It would be nice to return to those halcyon days and nights here and everywhere on the TCM board...As Scarlett says to Ashley "Don't look back.  It gets so that you can't do anything but look back"  I am not of that opinion; at the same time, we cannot expect to always wallow in the past as if those times didn't have their own set of challenges.  So, I guess a good balance between the old and new would be the way to go...

My mother passed away on June 13, 2017 at the age of 96.   She was the impetus for this thread with her unique take on movies (and life in general).   I know her spirit is still with us, enjoying all the movies from above and still insisting that Diahann Carroll was once married to Cary Grant.

I agree with your "old and new" idea, certainly the best way to go, though I have always been quite fond of wallowing. It's sort of like drowning in that it is necessary---no vital---to rise to surface. As an old sage once said, "One must forget the past but never completely shut the door on it." Perhaps he/she meant balance. But nostalgia will always have a place in my heart and psyche. As with everyone, I fancy.

I do recall and with a great deal of fondness those gems from your mom that you shared with all of us. They were honest, humorous, often quite perceptive, and absolutely charming. When and if by chance you should care to share a revival of one or some if them her, I for one would be most attentive.

Thanks, Barb 

• Like 1