Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

3 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thank you, Dan.   Hope I'm not being a Debbie Downer about all this. 

Of course I don't mean to imply that we should be Hallmark-y sweetness and light.  (as you and others might know, I cannot stand that channel, lol)  Just a bit more civil without sacrificing irreverence.

No, I don't think you're a buzz kill. I mean really there's not much of a buzz to kill. I just think you're missing old friends. I understand that. 

• Like 1

Dan, thanks.   I always get melancholy during this autumnal time of the year.  It's a bittersweet feeling.   Yes, I do miss and cherish the old friends but also want to welcome and embrace new ones.

Ideally I would like this thread to be sort of a "catch-all" one, where posters can free associate film, life, the sandwiches they ate at 2 in the morning while watching PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, personal relationships, favorite actors and actresses, who shot who in the Embarcadero in August of 1879, you get the drift.   I am movie saturated and hope you guys are too!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Ideally I would like this thread to be sort of a "catch-all" one, where posters can free associate film, life, the sandwiches they ate at 2 in the morning while watching PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, personal relationships, favorite actors and actresses, who shot who in the Embarcadero in August of 1879, you get the drift.   I am movie saturated and hope you guys are too!

I'm down with that. I enjoy a good rabbit hole exploration my own self.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, laffite said:

I agree with your "old and new" idea, certainly the best way to go, though I have always been quite fond of wallowing. It's sort of like drowning in that it is necessary---no vital---to rise to surface. As an old sage once said, "One must forget the past but never completely shut the door on it." Perhaps he/she meant balance. But nostalgia will always have a place in my heart and psyche. As with everyone, I fancy.

I do recall and with a great deal of fondness those gems from your mom that you shared with all of us. They were honest, humorous, often quite perceptive, and absolutely charming. When and if by chance you should care to share a revival of one or some if them her, I for one would be most attentive.

Thanks, Barb 

Well frankly I love to wallow quite a bit myself.   I am weepier than usual these days for a variety of reasons.  Growing old(er), loss, grief, illness, pain, change in general.  The usual suspects.  Round 'em up!  

I was so privileged to share my mother with you, John, and everyone else.  I'm grateful she had such an appreciative audience.   I will keep her memory (and movie reviews) alive.

• Like 2

Here to set some tone, and submitted for your approval, I present my dear friend Maurice Chevalier (with the tilted cap).  I know some people don't care for him but well, whattaya gonna do?  You're gonna sweep those clouds away!  No, this is NOT the Hackmark Channel.  Heaven forbid!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Hi, Dougie.  I'm always humbled by your generous comments.  Thank you.

I'll just set up a shack on the Cote D'Azur and call it home.

I've only seen LES GIRLS in bits and pieces -- I love Kay Kendall, she's got such goosey, elegant British charm.  Mitzi is pert but that description really doesn't do her professionalism much justice.  Not so familiar with Taina, though.  I have to admit that I'm not usually that crazy about Gene Kelly.  There, I said it!  I know that might sound like heresy.  He's a great talent but sometimes, well, more than sometimes, rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe it's how Gene loves to tilt whatever hat he's wearing to the side like Maurice Chevalier.  Now, on Chevalier it comes across as charmingly Gallic but with Kelly, in my opinion, an annoying affectation!  Okay, come after me, guys, lol.  

I agree about Gene Kelly, which is why the girls got all the mention. It's particularly hard to evaluate him in that movie because it's in flashbacks constructed around the women's memories (and agendas) as recalled at a libel trial, so he's not actually playing a character, only versions of a character. In movies in general, when Kelly wasn't leaping around and anchoring a musical number, it didn't always seem like there was any there there. In  Marjorie Morningstar, Natalie Wood was an acolyte of his kind of smarmy, showbizzy know-it-all and I remember thinking when I first saw it: "You do know why they cast you in this role, right?" Even in one of his signature roles in Singin' in the Rain, the "Dignity, always dignity" blather he insincerely foisted on the interviewer seemed a little close to home.  But props on the dancing and choreo. So I'll be right there beside you for the slings and arrows from fans.

P.S. I'm thinking you may have buried the lead when you included grief and pain on the list of things on your radar. I hope you're coping OK, though it sure ain't easy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And who doesn't love trailers for bad movies?  

"Some God-forsaken anti-matter galaxy millions and millions of miles from Earth." That actually sounds OK after these last couple of years.

I absolutely love the horsehair up-do the critter's sporting on top of its head!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And who doesn't love trailers for bad movies?  

I thought for a moment there they were going to say, "Faster than a speeding bullet." I mean, c'mon, a great movie like this shouldn't steal lines from other movies (and television programs.)  BTW, I don't buy that notion that The Claw was extra-terrestrial. it looked too much o' the Earth for that. Other than that, it looks like a pretty realistic movie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DougieB said:

I agree about Gene Kelly, which is why the girls got all the mention. It's particularly hard to evaluate him in that movie because it's in flashbacks constructed around the women's memories (and agendas) as recalled at a libel trial, so he's not actually playing a character, only versions of a character. In movies in general, when Kelly wasn't leaping around and anchoring a musical number, it didn't always seem like there was any there there. In  Marjorie Morningstar, Natalie Wood was an acolyte of his kind of smarmy, showbizzy know-it-all and I remember thinking when I first saw it: "You do know why they cast you in this role, right?" Even in one of his signature roles in Singin' in the Rain, the "Dignity, always dignity" blather he insincerely foisted on the interviewer seemed a little close to home.  But props on the dancing and choreo. So I'll be right there beside you for the slings and arrows from fans.

P.S. I'm thinking you may have buried the lead when you included grief and pain on the list of things on your radar. I hope you're coping OK, though it sure ain't easy.

I may be wrong about this, but I believe Kelly's screen persona sprang (sprung?) from his stage role as Joey in the original Pal Joey on Broadway --- you know, the charming heel.   But a delightful exception is ON THE TOWN -- Gene plays a small town guy who thinks Vera Ellen's "Ivy" is a big celebrity because she's "Miss Turnstiles".   He's very believable in that role!

Grief, Pain and Loss (sounds like a law firm) -- what fun!  Thank you for your concern, dear Dougie.   We're all familiar with these three.   No, not easy.   Usually a bad movie will perk me up (albeit temporarily).  I just got through with Elia Kazan's THE ARRANGEMENT.  Now that was deliciously bad, especially the great Richard Boone in a silver wig as Kirk Douglas' tyrannical Turkish/Greek papa.  "Has taxi come yet?"  "You give me money!"  Poor Deborah Kerr as the rheumy-eyed, long-suffering wife.  She actually has a nude scene, and it ain't a double for the tushie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DougieB said:

"Some God-forsaken anti-matter galaxy millions and millions of miles from Earth." That actually sounds OK after these last couple of years.

I absolutely love the horsehair up-do the critter's sporting on top of its head!

Panic from Broadway to Bombay!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, laffite said:

I thought for a moment there they were going to say, "Faster than a speeding bullet." I mean, c'mon, a great movie like this shouldn't steal lines from other movies (and television programs.)  BTW, I don't buy that notion that The Claw was extra-terrestrial. it looked too much o' the Earth for that. Other than that, it looks like a pretty realistic movie.

I have a few neighbors who resemble The Giant Claw.

6 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Hey, I like this. A sort of meander-where-ye-may option. Now I finally know that if I ever get up at 2am and have a sandwich I know where to go to share it. The idea that I'm having a sandwich, not the sandwich itself.  And at any given minute of my life, I have a storehouse of innumerable useless things that come to mind. If I think of something particularly obtuse I'll know where to share. It may be good for a laugh. I doubt I'll be watching PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, but THE GIANT CLAW looks pretty good. When they do the remake I hope they'll call it CLAWS. It sounds so forbidding. I like the idea of sharing about personal relationships. If i ever get one I'll be sure to pass it on. The note about the Embarcadero is gnawing at me. I am notoriously incurious but this may be getting to me. I have always been interested in the year 1879. If I can wrest myself from debilitating inertia I may look it up. It may be just a wild goose chase but at least I'll be doing something. I am fond of chasing things. I'm hoping some day to catch something. Something good, I hope.

• Like 2

That is why I am here, to make important room for the useless and obtuse.  Information that is, not people.

Please feel free to describe in intense detail any foods made and consumed by ravenous pie holes.  I want to know all aspects of everyone's special tuna salad sandwich recipes.  Metaphysical, Schmetaphysical!  Just give me ingredients.

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE is important but then, any movie with Tor Johnson usually is.  

The only person who would know who shot who in the Embarcadero in August of 1879 is Pop Leibel of The Argosy Book Shop in San Francisco.   Ask Midge, she'll drive you over.  But once there I'm afraid all you'll get is a story about the mad, sad Carlotta. 

• Like 1

You mean i spend 12 years in higher institutions to become a world-famous Schmetaphysicalogist, and all for nothing. All I needed was a few ingredients all the while. Figures. I have always been useless and obtuse. 

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The only person who would know who shot who in the Embarcadero in August of 1879 is Pop Leibel of The Argosy Book Shop in San Francisco.   Ask Midge, she'll drive you over.  But once there I'm afraid all you'll get is a story about the mad, sad Carlotta. 

Ouch! I should turn in my TCM Forum Membership Card for not knowing this. If I ever go on Jeopardy I will avoid any category that smacks of Hitch. Oh wait, you have to be really smart to get on that show. So much for that.

🙄

• Like 1

And you would probably stump me every time with them.

I'm probably missing the point (as usual) but that JIF up there seems to indicate that Scottie got there too late and poor Madeleine drowned like poor Ophelia. If that is so, Scottie would not have become obsessed with Madeleine and perhaps had married Midge. Well, they DO have something in common. Their names begin with M.

:rolleyes: 

If you ever get sick of your hostessing duties you can just give us the stink eye like Linda Darnell gave Dana Andrews in Fallen Angel when he failed to amuse. There's a whole glorious tradition of over-it waitresses to draw on but that's one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with a good Joan Blondell either. Just think of us as a bunch of jerks who wandered in off the street and you'll do just fine. 

R.jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, laffite said:

And you would probably stump me every time with them.

I'm probably missing the point (as usual) but that JIF up there seems to indicate that Scottie got there too late and poor Madeleine drowned like poor Ophelia. If that is so, Scottie would not have become obsessed with Madeleine and perhaps had married Midge. Well, they DO have something in common. Their names begin with M.

:rolleyes: 

No, that's Judy-as-Maddy waiting for just the right moment to jump in the bay so sicko Jimmy can fish her out and proceed with his perverse necrophiliac makeover.  Hitch was certainly a piece of work in the, uh, romance department....