Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

5 hours ago, DougieB said:

If you ever get sick of your hostessing duties you can just give us the stink eye like Linda Darnell gave Dana Andrews in Fallen Angel when he failed to amuse. There's a whole glorious tradition of over-it waitresses to draw on but that's one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with a good Joan Blondell either. Just think of us as a bunch of jerks who wandered in off the street and you'll do just fine. 

R.jpg

And of course there is always Jody Gilbert giving as good as she gets with W.C. Fields -- "You're about as funny as a cry for help"   (I just wish we didn't always have to be reminded of it every three seconds by Mimi Pond)

Poor, gorgeous Linda.  On screen and in real life, didn't often get the breaks....I may have mentioned this before (years ago) but my dear late Aunt Mitzi looked just like her. (well, with about forty extra pounds). 

I also had an uncle who resembled Melvyn Douglas, and my father could pass for a brother of Bud Abbott.   A female relative was a dead ringer for Shelley Winters.   

Joan Blondell had her nifty comeback lines, even in GREASE.   

A bunch of jerks?  Nevah!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

No, that's Judy-as-Maddy waiting for just the right moment to jump in the bay so sicko Jimmy can fish her out and proceed with his perverse necrophiliac makeover.  Hitch was certainly a piece of work in the, uh, romance department....

Do i detect a little contempt there for the movie? I say that because I am not all that high. Those who maintain that it is Hitch's best amaze me. The last time i watched it I was conscious of nevertheless being drawn into it.  It does have an intriguing quality, at the least at the beginning, the first 45 minutes. But overall it just doesn't hold up. The days are gone when a movie appeared in theaters and then disappeared down the rabbit hole. Now movies of are course analyzed to death and familiarity can breed contempt. Experiencing this movie is like taking a bite out of a Reuben (the best sandwich ever) and for some reason having a bad after taste (Reuben's are not like that though, bad example).

But this movie does have a rather salient significance for me. What I watched this in the theater (as a kid, not later) I was astonished by the big twist. I thought the movie was concluding but then Judy showed up. When the story continued on I was utterly fascinated. I was actually stunned. And excited. Looking back I wonder why, might I not have realized that the movie had not been going on long enough to end? Not a clue. I say with chagrin, this may have been the most splendid plot twist I have ever experienced in a movie. Alas, alas, all the fascination has been extinguished and the movie is but a mere shadow of what it was for me back in that prior time.  I don't remember being affected by the creepiness and the what would have been for me at the time a latent eroticism (if that's what it is), stuff like that was not on my radar as a kid.

(I have but failed to find a screen shot where I had a long time ago captioned but I cannot find it, drat? When I do find it I will foist upon you, which could be tomorrow or next month or ...

in the meantime:m9gNGdC.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And of course there is always Jody Gilbert giving as good as she gets with W.C. Fields -- "You're about as funny as a cry for help"   (I just wish we didn't always have to be reminded of it every three seconds by Mimi Pond)

Poor, gorgeous Linda.  On screen and in real life, didn't often get the breaks....I may have mentioned this before (years ago) but my dear late Aunt Mitzi looked just like her. (well, with about forty extra pounds). 

I also had an uncle who resembled Melvyn Douglas, and my father could pass for a brother of Bud Abbott.   A female relative was a dead ringer for Shelley Winters.   

Joan Blondell had her nifty comeback lines, even in GREASE.   

A bunch of jerks?  Nevah!

That's an impressive gene pool you're swimming in. Nothing like that in my family, though my current project is going through old family photos and I just found a formal portrait of my father's sister Lilla, looking like one of those Edwardian beauties whose carriage a throng of adoring young men would have drawn through the streets. You know, Whiffenpoof stuff, when gallantry was still a thing. Hurrah! But she was an outlier. The rest of us are mugs.

Yes, poor Linda. My husband's parents both died in (separate) fires and it's one of those things you can't even let into your head. It's unthinkable.....Tab Hunter wrote in his book that on his first movie, Island of Desire (It's listed as Saturday Island too.) he and Linda had a good chuckle about all the heat they were going to be expected to generate because both of their careers were on the line.  He said she was really kind about offering tips on acting in front of the camera to a newbie. A really nice person and a great coworker. And, as you mentioned, gorge.

Joan Blondell doesn't get the same credit for career longevity as others like Crawford and Hepburn, but she never lost it. I particularly like her mini-spurt in 1957, with great supporting roles in Desk Set, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and This Could Be the Night, a really special Robert Wise movie with Jean Simmons, Paul Douglas, Anthony Franciosa and the superb Julie Wilson, who went on to become one of the all-time great cabaret performers. (She got a couple of numbers in the club which is the setting for the movie and sang the title song.) TcM has shown it a few times and it's worth waiting for.

I realized recently that Mimi Pond is married to Wayne White, who is also in pretty heavy rotation on TcM. I wonder if they survived the refresh or if they're now toast.

• Like 1

Yes, laffite, VERTIGO is not a favorite of mine.  I struggle with it, trying to find the greatness but always come up short.   For me, nothing makes much sense.   Why does Gavin hesitate over the phone when told that "Madeline" has jumped into the bay?  Didn't he and Judy plan this since she knew Scotty was following her so she needed to do something to catch his attention so they could meet?   How does Judy get out of the McKittrick Hotel without being seen?  Where's the car?  Was the manager bribed?  At Ernie's Restaurant, Scotty is immediately smitten with "Madeline" after looking at her for about 10 seconds.  Do men get obsessed that quickly?  Judy is a tawdry, pathetic, weak mess, an accomplice to murder.  How anyone can be in love with her is beyond my knowledge.  Lust, perhaps, but surely not any other higher emotion.  Midge is caring but pushy.  I don't like any of these people!

21 hours ago, DougieB said:

That's an impressive gene pool you're swimming in. Nothing like that in my family, though my current project is going through old family photos and I just found a formal portrait of my father's sister Lilla, looking like one of those Edwardian beauties whose carriage a throng of adoring young men would have drawn through the streets. You know, Whiffenpoof stuff, when gallantry was still a thing. Hurrah! But she was an outlier. The rest of us are mugs.

Yes, poor Linda. My husband's parents both died in (separate) fires and it's one of those things you can't even let into your head. It's unthinkable.....Tab Hunter wrote in his book that on his first movie, Island of Desire (It's listed as Saturday Island too.) he and Linda had a good chuckle about all the heat they were going to be expected to generate because both of their careers were on the line.  He said she was really kind about offering tips on acting in front of the camera to a newbie. A really nice person and a great coworker. And, as you mentioned, gorge.

Joan Blondell doesn't get the same credit for career longevity as others like Crawford and Hepburn, but she never lost it. I particularly like her mini-spurt in 1957, with great supporting roles in Desk Set, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and This Could Be the Night, a really special Robert Wise movie with Jean Simmons, Paul Douglas, Anthony Franciosa and the superb Julie Wilson, who went on to become one of the all-time great cabaret performers. (She got a couple of numbers in the club which is the setting for the movie and sang the title song.) TcM has shown it a few times and it's worth waiting for.

I realized recently that Mimi Pond is married to Wayne White, who is also in pretty heavy rotation on TcM. I wonder if they survived the refresh or if they're now toast.

Firstly, wait, what? Mimi Pond is married to Wayne White??  This I did not know.   They're probably toast.   

Well, my family are pretty much mugs as well, lol.  Did your aunt resemble Bette Davis in MR. SKEFFINGTON?  That was the only film I thought Bette Davis was remotely attractive. 

I'm really sorry to hear about those family deaths by fire.  So grim, so awful and yes, so, so hard to imagine.   Good to hear about Darnell's generosity to Tab.

I'd don't think I've even heard of THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT.  Thanks for the heads-up. I've got to see it immediately!  Will check YouTube.  I'm a Robert Wise fan; Jean Simmons too.

• Like 1

Re:  Joan Blondell was a very underrated actress in my opinion.  I have to say that I don't really think she was used that well in those later films you mention, Dougie.  I don't know about THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT because I haven't seen it, but I don't like seeing the great Joan subservient to the likes of Jayne Mansfield or frankly even Katherine Hepburn.  I think she's in LIZZIE (playing tonight as part of an Eleanor Parker line-up) as the aunt.  Of course it's wonderful seeing Blondell pop up anywhere, any time.  For me, her finest performance is in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN.   Should have garnered Joan a Best Supporting Oscar.

• Like 1

Mom loved a good Reuben.

I've got two favorite sandwiches -- off-the-frame turkey with chopped liver on rye, and a BLT (real pork bacon) in between home-made white bread.

• Like 2

Nothing beats a Reuben.

I bought some pastrami and swiss last grocery trip but I didn't get any rye bread or kraut. So it's still in the fridge. Not the same with wheat bread. (Some say it's not the same with pastrami but I like a pastrami Reuben.)

I don't use the Russian dressing, though. Heresy, I know. I like a Jalapeno mustard spread thinly. My good opinion of the Reuben may now be invalid. I should turn in my Rueben card after an admission like that.

Oh God, don't believe it. Light rain outside and terrific blasts of thunder. If you have ever lived in Southern California, you know how rare is that. In September? I've lost cable and my computer might be next. Jesus!

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I think men like a Reuben more than women.  Just something I've observed over the years.  There doesn't seem to be an explanation for this gender preference.

Maybe men lean toward the savory, women toward the sweet.

What about Chinese food? It has always seemed very chicky to me.

16 hours ago, laffite said:

I don't use the Russian dressing, though. Heresy, I know. I like a Jalapeno mustard spread thinly. My good opinion of the Reuben may now be invalid. I should turn in my Rueben card after an admission like that.

Oh God, don't believe it. Light rain outside and terrific blasts of thunder. If you have ever lived in Southern California, you know how rare is that. In September? I've lost cable and my computer might be next. Jesus!

Yea,   we have a dog now (well my mother-in-law's dog that came with her from Italy and when she went back,  he stayed but that is another story!).

Anyhow,  this was the first time the dog had experienced lighting and thunder;  it dove him nuts causing a  lot of barking and growling.     

Since any actual rain only lasted a minute or two,  I took a long walk and it was a beautiful night.      (I'm in the Laguna Beach area).

• Like 2
On 9/13/2009 at 4:38 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Mom's takes on:

1978 HEAVEN CAN WAIT: "I don't understand Julie Christie's hair. It not only looked like a mop, but it was a DIRTY mop! And I just don't think James Mason had the spiritual quality of Claude Rains as Mr. Jordan somehow.".

Kubrick LOLITA: "What was the big deal? They didn't show anything."

MA AND PA KETTLE: "Percy Kilbride reminds me of Stan Laurel. And oh that Marjorie Main! She could sit on him!"

THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE: "I never knew Henry Fonda was so handsome! Of course when he got older he seemed like he'd be hairy all over. I don't know why, I just feel it."

THE PATSY: "I never knew Marion Davies was such a good actress!

She was delightful, so funny and made those cute faces. I loved her."

A RAISIN IN THE SUN: "I can't believe Sidney Poitier didn't win a Best Actor Oscar for this part. I don't think he was as good in LILIES OF THE FIELD."

(After buying fruit at the market): "I want to get home and watch THE MANCHERRYIAN CANDIDATE."

MR. LUCKY: "Very nice. Wasn't Cary Grant married to Betty Hutton at the time?"

In three days will be the 12th anniversary of the very first post on this thread,  a host of encapsulated musings made by no other than the eponymous heroine of this very thread herself, Bronxgirl's mom. An auspicious inception of what is to come later on during those years. Reading this first posting, one notes the origin of the thread title. Origin stories are always fun. So a little of Bronxgirl's mother redux. I remember urging you, Barb, to make a chap book of your mom's sayings. I can imagine seeing something like this in some quaint little gift shop somewhere. But what the heck, they are here and to enjoy. Barb, I hope you don't mind if I put this out there. Just one of things here in our lives that ought not be forgotten. There quotes from you mom are very entertaining, on can see the honesty and charm, and many of them have the stamp of absolute truth.

🌷❤️🤗

• Like 2
9 hours ago, laffite said:

In three days will be the 12th anniversary of the very first post on this thread,  a host of encapsulated musings made by no other than the eponymous heroine of this very thread herself, Bronxgirl's mom. An auspicious inception of what is to come later on during those years. Reading this first posting, one notes the origin of the thread title. Origin stories are always fun. So a little of Bronxgirl's mother redux. I remember urging you, Barb, to make a chap book of your mom's sayings. I can imagine seeing something like this in some quaint little gift shop somewhere. But what the heck, they are here and to enjoy. Barb, I hope you don't mind if I put this out there. Just one of things here in our lives that ought not be forgotten. There quotes from you mom are very entertaining, on can see the honesty and charm, and many of them have the stamp of absolute truth.

🌷❤️🤗

I remember coming to this thread a few years back after one of the big board switcheroos, when they started showing the first post in the thread instead of the most recent, the way they had before. Instead of the latest brilliant chatter I was greeted with the Julie Christie quote from Mom, which prompted me to recall the scene in Nashville when Julie was introduced to a tableful of country stars as Julie Christie, the movie star. They greeted her politely but when she walked away Barbara Baxley (the doyen of the country scene) remarked loudly: "She can't be a movie star. She can't even comb her hair." The prescient Mom strikes again!

On 9/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Yes, laffite, VERTIGO is not a favorite of mine.  I struggle with it, trying to find the greatness but always come up short.   For me, nothing makes much sense.   Why does Gavin hesitate over the phone when told that "Madeline" has jumped into the bay?  Didn't he and Judy plan this since she knew Scotty was following her so she needed to do something to catch his attention so they could meet?   How does Judy get out of the McKittrick Hotel without being seen?  Where's the car?  Was the manager bribed?  At Ernie's Restaurant, Scotty is immediately smitten with "Madeline" after looking at her for about 10 seconds.  Do men get obsessed that quickly?  Judy is a tawdry, pathetic, weak mess, an accomplice to murder.  How anyone can be in love with her is beyond my knowledge.  Lust, perhaps, but surely not any other higher emotion.  Midge is caring but pushy.  I don't like any of these people!

VERTIGO fans, my opinions might seem harsh, so I welcome you to change my mind and see the light.   

19 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,   we have a dog now (well my mother-in-law's dog that came with her from Italy and when she went back,  he stayed but that is another story!).

Anyhow,  this was the first time the dog had experienced lighting and thunder;  it dove him nuts causing a  lot of barking and growling.     

Since any actual rain only lasted a minute or two,  I took a long walk and it was a beautiful night.      (I'm in the Laguna Beach area).

Hi, james.

You live in a beautiful part of the country.

20 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Maybe men lean toward the savory, women toward the sweet.

What about Chinese food? It has always seemed very chicky to me.

I think you're right about this, Dan, biologically speaking.    Not sure about Chinese food, though.  Could go either way, at least portrayed in the movies.  Whenever a guy or girl got dumped by their ostensible significant others, the next scene showed them downing copious portions of the stuff from those little white containers with the silver handles.  (I miss them!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I think you're right about this, Dan, biologically speaking.    Not sure about Chinese food, though.  Could go either way, at least portrayed in the movies.  Whenever a guy or girl got dumped by their ostensible significant others, the next scene showed them downing copious portions of the stuff from those little white containers with the silver handles.  (I miss them!)

They're still around, aren't they? Available for delivery? I saw on one of those "did you know" shows the containers are designed to unfold and become paper plates.  Ingenious!

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

VERTIGO fans, my opinions might seem harsh, so I welcome you to change my mind and see the light.   

I, for one, do not think you were too harsh. This is what I meant when I said in my original post that it looks (tastes?) good up close, i.e., a first viewing, but over time leaves a bad taste. The plot holes in Vertigo are legion. It's fair game to point them out.

What about the good ole hamburger. A man is much more likely to be seen gnawing on one of those that a woman. There they are dining in a restaurant. He's got the triple steer burger with bacon, ketchup rolling down his cheek and she's across the table with a toasted cheese sandwich. Or am I going too far? I actually feel uncomfortable talking like this these days. Am I back in the 60s?

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

They're still around, aren't they? Available for delivery? I saw on one of those "did you know" shows the containers are designed to unfold and become paper plates.  Ingenious!

Unfortunately no -- they've long been replaced by ugly round plastic black containers with generic plastic lids.   The moo goo gai pan definitely does not taste as good in those things.

Just now, Bronxgirl48 said:

Unfortunately no -- they've long been replaced by ugly plastic black containers with generic plastic lids.   The moo goo gai pan definitely does not taste as good in those things.

Oh yes. I have seen those. 

1 hour ago, laffite said:

What about the good ole hamburger. A man is much more likely to be seen gnawing on one of those that a woman. There they are dining in a restaurant. He's got the triple steer burger with bacon, ketchup rolling down his cheek and she's across the table with a toasted cheese sandwich. Or am I going too far? I actually feel uncomfortable talking like this these days. Am I back in the 60s?

Cheese sandwich, yuck!  Give me a hamburger any day!  I crave them!  (along with a good frankfurter; although I just read that eating hot dogs shortens one's life by 35 minutes).

I wish it was the '60's....even back then I never ordered a chef salad, which was the stereotypical "woman's" lunch choice.