Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Bronxgirl48

6 minutes ago, laffite said:

Call me Wimpy. This will be the opening of my new novel, It's about a guy who loves hamburger so much that he literally throws them into his mouth as if they were jujubes. Yeah, I know, it's stealing. I'll have to make it a fan book.

And he bums money to pay for them until eventually he owes everyone he comes into contact with so he has to avoid them by ...  putting to sea.

5 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

And he bums money to pay for them until eventually he owes everyone he comes into contact with so he has to avoid them by ...  putting to sea.

Good, I'll use it. He will be searching for that Great White Whale that the other guy was looking for but who didn't know that this particular whale tastes just like a hamburger.

14 minutes ago, laffite said:

Good, I'll use it. He will be searching for that Great White Whale that the other guy was looking for but who didn't know that this particular whale tastes just like a hamburger.

Captain Aham. Who lost a finger in a meat grinding accident, now obsessed with finding the great fish that the grinder was being prepped for. And the spearman  will be named Tash-to-go.

6 hours ago, laffite said:

I, for one, do not think you were too harsh. This is what I meant when I said in my original post that it looks (tastes?) good up close, i.e., a first viewing, but over time leaves a bad taste. The plot holes in Vertigo are legion. It's fair game to point them out.

I always feel compelled to watch VERTIGO whenever and wherever it airs, hoping for an epiphany, but so far it  just feels like two hours of Jimmy Stewart driving around San Francisco.

I'll use it. I'm toying with the idea that Wimpy dreams he is a whale and while being chased by some crazy whaler he lashes out and bites whaler's finger off and eats it. He was aiming for a leg but missed. But the finger was enough to realize that this whaler tasted just like a hamburger. So he applies to the Pequod with the idea of killing Captain Aham, grinding him up into hamburgers, and then pig out. Wow, what a plot! Move over, Herman.

11 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I always feel compelled to watch VERTIGO whenever and wherever it airs, hoping for an ephiphany, but so far it  just feels like two hours of Jimmy Stewart driving around San Francisco.

Yeah me too. Although I think I cast a passing glance (or two, or three...") at Kim.

But I agree, it would have been much better movie if set on the Riviera.

10 minutes ago, laffite said:

I'll use it. I'm toying with the idea that Wimpy dreams he is a whale and while being chased by some crazy whaler he lashes out and bites whaler's finger off and eats it. He was aiming for a leg but missed. But the finger was enough to realize that this whaler tasted just like a hamburger. So he applies to the Pequod with the idea of killing Captain Aham, grinding him up into hamburgers, and then pig out. Wow, what a plot! Move over, Herman.

Good! But name the ship the SweePequod.

16 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I always feel compelled to watch VERTIGO whenever and wherever it airs, hoping for an ephiphany, but so far it  just feels like two hours of Jimmy Stewart driving around San Francisco.

I remember FredCDobbs had a very good criticism of Vertigo where he pointed out the unlikelihood of a very common type of woman convincingly posing as a refined woman. 

5 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I remember FredCDobbs had a very good criticism of Vertigo where he pointed out the unlikelihood of a very common type of woman convincingly posing as a refined woman. 

This is my problem with Now, Voyager. I am supposed to believe that that neurotic mess could be transformed into that kind of elegance. Fie!

La Bronxita! So nice to see your thread bubbling with its trademark wit and humor. You did a great tribute for your Mom in creating this effervescent conversation. May it live on and on.

P. S. I love Vertigo maybe as much for its flaws as for its virtues. I even bought a grey suit just like Madeleine’s. 😀Still, To Catch a Thief is my favorite Hitch. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, laffite said:

Do they serve hamburgers?

Maybe make it the Sandwich islands. 

Wimpy staggers ashore. He falls face down in the sand, desperate and fatigued. The following morning as he awakens he notices strange imprints around him in the sand. Could they be ...? In the near distance, over a hill, he hears the dull clanking of ... A cowbell! With renewed hope he follows the hoofprints, and over the hill he finds a sign reading, "Captain Cook's All Ye Can Eat"

(This chapter title would be "Beef Ahoy.")

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Maybe make it the Sandwich islands. 

Wimpy staggers ashore. He falls face down in the sand, desperate and fatigued. The following morning as he awakens he notices strange imprints around him in the sand. Could they be ...? In the near distance, over a hill, he hears the dull clanking of ... A cowbell! With renewed hope he follows the hoofprints, and over the hill he finds a sign reading, "Captain Cook's All Ye Can Eat"

(This chapter title would be "Beef Ahoy.")

Whew! I thought for a moment there we had transmogrified the story to Robinson Caruso. And I thought you were going to say CAPTAIN HOOK'S ALL YE CAN EAT. THE BEST HAMBURGERS MADE FROM REAL CROCODILE MEAT. I wonder what ole Wimpy would think of that. Frankly I think he would spit them out.

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I agree with all your plot-based objections, especially the nonsense at the McKittrick Hotel. There were points when Hitchcock was flirting with the supernatural and he relied heavily on the idea of coincidence to explain plot holes away. But the driving around San Francisco I kind of get; it's a visual representation (in addition to the haunting Herrmann score) of the kind of fugue state fever dream Stewart is in. The focus is usually on his fear of heights and vertigo, but he's also dealing with the death of his fellow officer and the lengthy depression and guilt feelings  which followed, and then ultimately with what he perceived of be the death of Madeleine, who was essentially under his care when she "fell to her death". Depression #2 and a stint in a sanitarium. The guy's strung out to the max and unreasonably but obsessively latches onto Judy. He trembles and stutters but he can't help himself. But it falls apart when we're expected to believe that Judy could have convincingly been Madeleine. It was a mistake for Hitchcock to make Judy so different; the plainness is fine but she's borderline simpleton compared to Madeleine's effortless elegance. I like the movie for its stylishness, but it's not my go-to Hitchcock.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, laffite said:

Whew! I thought for a moment there we had transmogrified the story to Robinson Caruso. And I thought you were going to say CAPTAIN HOOK'S ALL YE CAN EAT. THE BEST HAMBURGERS MADE FROM REAL CROCODILE MEAT. I wonder what ole Wimpy would think of that. Frankly I think he would spit them out.

I'm okay with ripping off Defoe as well as Melville. Might even visit Fletcher Christian at Pitcairn. Looking for pickles. 

In the very last shot, Scottie comes out and stands on the ledge. He looks down but does not appear to be afraid. Is he cured of vertigo? The shot fades out rather quickly signifying perhaps that we should make nothing of it. If it does mean something, is there a payoff of some kind for the viewer and the story?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Sounds familiar.

I've always found it hard to swallow that Elster trained Judy to that degree of believability.  Unless we're actually supposed to believe that on some level the spirit of Madeline/Carlotta really entered her body.

2 hours ago, MissGoddess said:

La Bronxita! So nice to see your thread bubbling with its trademark wit and humor. You did a great tribute for your Mom in creating this effervescent conversation. May it live on and on.

P. S. I love Vertigo maybe as much for its flaws as for its virtues. I even bought a grey suit just like Madeleine’s. 😀Still, To Catch a Thief is my favorite Hitch. 

Mon Dieu!  Miss G! 

Merci.  

Does that suit also look like the one Doris wears in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH? 

7 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Sounds familiar.

I've always found it hard to swallow that Elster trained Judy to that degree of believability.  Unless we're actually supposed to believe that on some level the spirit of Madeline/Carlotta really entered her body.

Honestly I shouldn't talk about Vertigo because I don't know it well enough.  Because I've never been able to finish it. I just know what happens. I was astonished to read months ago that it has surpassed Citizen Kane as the GOAT on whatever that poll is that tracks rankings.

39 minutes ago, laffite said:

In the very last shot, Scottie comes out and stands on the ledge. He looks down but does not appear to be afraid. Is he cured of vertigo? The shot fades out rather quickly signifying perhaps that we should make nothing of it. If it does mean something, is there a payoff of some kind for the viewer and the story?

Quien sabe?

59 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I agree with all your plot-based objections, especially the nonsense at the McKittrick Hotel. There were points when Hitchcock was flirting with the supernatural and he relied heavily on the idea of coincidence to explain plot holes away. But the driving around San Francisco I kind of get; it's a visual representation (in addition to the haunting Herrmann score) of the kind of fugue state fever dream Stewart is in. The focus is usually on his fear of heights and vertigo, but he's also dealing with the death of his fellow officer and the lengthy depression and guilt feelings  which followed, and then ultimately with what he perceived of be the death of Madeleine, who was essentially under his care when she "fell to her death". Depression #2 and a stint in a sanitarium. The guy's strung out to the max and unreasonably but obsessively latches onto Judy. He trembles and stutters but he can't help himself. But it falls apart when we're expected to believe that Judy could have convincingly been Madeleine. It was a mistake for Hitchcock to make Judy so different; the plainness is fine but she's borderline simpleton compared to Madeleine's effortless elegance. I like the movie for its stylishness, but it's not my go-to Hitchcock.

Thanks, Dougie!  I love these analyses.

You know what (also) sticks in my craw?  Giving Judy a kind of "New York" accent -- even though her character is supposed to be from....oh, no, my brain just froze....the Midwest or a Plain state? -- to make her seem, what?  low-class?   Naturally I resent this!  

• Like 1