Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Bronxgirl48

8 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Honestly I shouldn't talk about this movie because I don't know it well. Because I've never been able to finish it. I was astonished to read months ago that it has surpassed Citizen Kane as the GOAT on whatever that poll is that tracks rankings.

I passed astonished long ago -- I am truly dumbfounded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laffite said:

Yeah me too. Although I think I cast a passing glance (or two, or three...") at Kim.

But I agree, it would have been much better movie if set on the Riviera.

Actually I have no problem with the San Francisco setting.

It's the story and characters to me that are problematic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Well it DID take more than one viewing for me to enjoy Kane. Maybe I should give Vertigo another chance. I mean, if nothing else, I can stand watching Kim. 

There is definitely something about VERTIGO that keeps me watching every time.  But I'll be darned if I know what it is.  

1 minute ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Very interesting!  

I'm not sure, though, what I want it to mean....

Like, I'm thinking, people who are being conned WANT to believe the con. That's how they get hooked. Maybe Jimmy's character wants so badly to believe, he - and we, seeing through his eyes - overlooks the flaws in the con job and believes what he wants. That also relieves the writer of having to plug plot holes. It's the perfect, convoluted, nonsensical answer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

There is definitely something about VERTIGO that keeps me watching every time.  But I'll be darned if I know what it is.  

There are movies i enjoy strictly for the visual or ambient tone it gives. Chinatown. For years I didn't know what the hell was going on but I loved it. I kept coming back. 

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

There are movies i enjoy strictly for the visual or ambient tone it gives. Chinatown. For years I didn't know what the hell was going on but I loved it. I kept coming back. 

I find myself liking CHINATOWN less as the years go by.  Don't know why, because Nicholson, Dunaway and Huston give memorable performances and, as someone who lived in Southern California for many years, the story does have resonance with me.

• Like 1

Just now, Bronxgirl48 said:

I find myself liking CHINATOWN less as the years go by.  Don't know why, because Nicholson, Dunaway and Huston give memorable performances and, as someone who lived in Southern California for many years, the story does have resonance with me.

Vascinating, Bronxgirl. Dell me. Do you vind berhaps zat Mister Nicholson reminds you of zomeone? Perhaps, zay, your fozza? 

• Haha 1

lol, better him than John Huston.

Huston in that movie in particular and then just himself in general has always reminded me of an uncle I never particularly liked and unfortunately find I am beginning  to resemble more and more with age. 

I always thought Huston had a kind of shaggy, craggy and even distinguished charm as he aged.

Heck, he even attracted Olivia de Havilland and Evelyn Keyes, so you know the man must have had something going on.

Yeah? Well then. 

48 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Actually I have no problem with the San Francisco setting.

It's the story and characters to me that are problematic.

Wow, I mentioned the Riviera and it didn't even phase you. But yes, San Fran is a nice, picturesque place. Actually I was born there. I shouldn't mention that, it is such a liability. Good thing Hitch is not still alive. After knowing I was born there, he would have shot the movie over again in San Jose.

32 minutes ago, laffite said:

Wow, I mentioned the Riviera and it didn't even phase you. But yes, San Fran is a nice, picturesque place. Actually I was born there. I shouldn't mention that, it is such a liability. Good thing Hitch is not still alive. After knowing I was born there, he would have shot the movie over again in San Jose.

lafitte, whenever I watch the 1936 SAN FRANCISCO with Clark Gable (love him as **** Norton), I cry every time at the close when they superimpose the image of modern day S.F. rising from the 1906 ashes.   Gets to me every time!   

Did you ever tell me you were born there?   Or is my memory truly disintegrating?  I am embarrassed.

What, you didn't hear me whoop it up when you mentioned my favorite part of the world?  

Cheese and Rice, the mods deleted Clark's innocuous first name!

Okay, enough of that....onward and upward on this thread at least.....

Did everyone enjoy CULT OF THE COBRA?  A group of G.I.'s infiltrate a snake cult and are cursed with death.   Who pops up later in New York to stalk them all?  Sultry serpentine Faith Domergue.  Decent little horror movie with some interesting Lewton-like moments.