Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

I will be enjoying sausage pizza with a side of French fries this evening, washed down with Guinness and a piece of pumpkin pie smothered in whipped cream.  Usually I do Pepperidge Farm German Chocolate cake but for some reason the orange gourd is calling my name....

Woo.. that sounds like a lovely birthday feast! Hope it was a wonderful day, little missy.  :)

• Like 1
On 10/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

I realize that some people get upset when I (constantly) diss the Hallmark Channel.   I am all for wholesome family entertainment, but it has to be good, filled with authenticity, charm, and soul.

This is nothing against our dear neighbors to the North.  They are not to blame.

And it's not necessarily a diss on the actors working in that environment. Some of them have shown up in respectable stuff, especially things which have filmed in Canada.  Some second-hand news: The guy who used to run Crown Media has fronted a deal to buy the old Family Channel and many of the "marquee" names (I can't help but giggle saying that) are following him. I've noticed lots of new faces at Hackmark, none of which are very appealing, so that may be why. I guess we stay tuned for further developments (or not). Something else I didn't know was that the CEO of Crown Media reports to the head of Hallmark Cards, the parent company, which would explain the heavy reliance on cliche to sell a product.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Good info, Dougie.

All the Hallmark performers, from whichever country of origin, are directed to act in the same creepy manner, making them unintentionally appear like aliens plopped down to Earth after years on their own planet learning to mimic human emotions.   And I am not some crazy conspiracy theorist type person, believe me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Good info, Dougie.

All the Hallmark performers, from whichever country of origin, are directed to act in the same creepy manner, making them unintentionally appear like aliens plopped down to Earth after years on their own planet learning to mimic human emotions.   And I am not some crazy conspiracy theorist type person, believe me!

The zombie apocalypse may be closer than we think.

Some further snooping has revealed that the guy (William Abbott) jumped ship because he objected to The Hallmark Channel formally apologizing for having taken commercials featuring same-sex couples off the air. The commercials were reinstated and he split to head the new Great American Channel. Anyone daring to put "great" and  "American" together these days surely must know what they're doing, so I guess we can expect a "purist" approach from that quarter. Meanwhile, back at Crown Media, the new female CEO, Vonya Lucas, has been charged with "accelerating the mission and growth" of the Hallmark Channel, so your guess is good as mine. Same-sex and inter-racial couples are sprouting up everywhere on Hackmark, so I guess it's their big "Bon Voyage and F.U." to William Abbott. The new, accelerated mission now seems to be a more diverse range of identities and ethnicities mimicking  human emotions in the same creepy way (which is really just lateral rather than forward movement). So we now have Hackmark and Hackmark Lite to choose from, lucky us. I know I should quit cold turkey, but there are so many home town Christmas festivals to be saved that I just have to know how it all turns out.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

The Prince/commoner storylines are the absolute worst, and I'm certain there will be new ones ground out this coming year.

I'm amazed that they can keep coming up with names for all the mythical countries. There are only so many syllables you can put in front of "..ovia", but they keep dreaming them up. There's probably somebody on the payroll just doing that. Actually, that would be a good plot for one of their dumb movies: Lacey Chabert is in Europe doing field research on tiny monarchies for The Hallmark Channel and spills her coffee on a handsome uniformed stranger who turns out to be...Wait or it..an actual prince. The queen finds out and...fill in the blanks.

• Haha 1

Iol, I honestly do believe they've got a team to dream up those ridiculous kingdoms.

I was watching an old one where the Prince is from "Galwick" -- the geography being somewhere in "the south of France".   

In this gem a prince and his Queen mum are stranded in a snowbound Connecticut town with only one person guarding them, the explanation being that during a time when the weather cleared up, the rest of their security team went back to Galwick.  Can you imagine any royal family being left behind in this dangerous fashion?   But have no fear -- these monarchs luck out when they meet a local girl who steers them to Donny's Donuts for a quick American snack.   She offers them a ride to her father's bed-and-breakfast so they climb into the car of a total stranger.

• Haha 2

The south of France? Look out! They're encroaching on your territory.

I think I remember that one. The royal family at the donut shop. Hah! For once the Queen was a good sort who delighted in the customs of the Connecticut commoners, instead a manipulative type trying to steer her son toward the Duchess of .....ovia and away from the American interloper. And I love the bit where the airports and roads are all closed by the big storm so nobody can get in or out, but visiting the local Christmas Fair and making snow angels and lighting the town tree are no problem at all; just a light decorative dusting of snow. One of these days Hallmark movies are going to make me as stupid as they already think I am. 

VH-1 has just announced some original Christmas movies. It's spreading. They're everywhere! Maybe it isn't outer space robots after all. Maybe it's The Walking Dead in Santa hats.

• Haha 2

You got that synopsis correct, sir.   I think the title is "One Royal Holiday".   The female lead turns out to be a nurse who coincidentally looked after the prince's late father when the King was suddenly stricken with a Hallmark disease and had to be kept in the ICU at a Boston hospital.

These really are an insult to one's intelligence, particularly the female audience.   I tried sitting through "The Nine Kittens of Christmas" but just couldn't, so hightailed it to a Sex and the City marathon on E.

Yes, I've noticed there are several "family" channels emulating the Hallmark "style".   Very depressing.

• Like 1

You're so right. That Hallmark disease seems to be very contagious in their little world. It's why there are so many newly single moms and dads with a kid who are suddenly on the dating market, why Grandpa finally has to retire from the candy shop and move to Arizona, why the favorite aunt left the lake cabin to the two high school sweethearts who haven't seen each other in years, etc. etc. Writers' block? Run out of real world alternatives? Just throw in a Hallmark disease. 

• Like 1
On 11/28/2021 at 8:25 AM, DougieB said:

You're so right. That Hallmark disease seems to be very contagious in their little world. It's why there are so many newly single moms and dads with a kid who are suddenly on the dating market, why Grandpa finally has to retire from the candy shop and move to Arizona, why the favorite aunt left the lake cabin to the two high school sweethearts who haven't seen each other in years, etc. etc. Writers' block? Run out of real world alternatives? Just throw in a Hallmark disease. 

Every female or male lead in all the storylines:  "My mom passed away when I was in high school".  

The dead parent is almost always the mother, calculated to create a more primal emotional response from the audience.

• Like 1
On 12/4/2021 at 2:52 AM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Every female or male lead in all the storylines:  "My mom passed away when I was in high school".  

The dead parent is almost always the mother, calculated to create a more primal emotional response from the audience.

But that's manipulative. Do you think they'd do that?

I think they've overplayed their hand this year. They started in October, for God's sake. I'm ready for real Christmas  movies already and for what TCM doesn't show I'll break out the DVD. I like Christmas music better than movies anyway, so I'll probably focus on that. That's something I look forward to every year, as opposed to my crippling addiction to Hackmark. I think Christmas music has the reputation of being kind of "elevatory", but there's a lot that's beautiful, heartening and fun. 

Yes, I brought out my Christmas CD stash right after Thanksgiving. I have over 50 now and bought a half dozen more this year. Always adding to the pile! I love it all. Traditional; Religious; Contemporary; Choirs; Jazz; Piano; etc. I don't decorate much, but music is essential.