Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Bronxgirl48

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

Don't let them get in your attic. They'll try. Squirrels, chipmunks and field mice have lots of time on their hands. I had to squirrel-proof my bird feeder, but I always toss handfuls of the seed for the ground-feeders. Some birds are ground feeders too, like the mourning doves. You're right that it's fun to watch. It's a window into another world. 

The home inspection report does mention the presence of old bedding material in the attic. It is likely the animals were forced out and then the access point was sealed. 

There is a general rule that you should not put a bird feeder near the house because birds do not like being close to walls. It has been my observation for several years that birds are quite willing to come to a feeder attached directly onto the side of the house if it is a squirrel feeder and they are intent on stealing from it. Frequent visitors/thieves are cardinals and birds of the Paridae family which I can not identify here as they share a name with mammary glands and Mr. Otto Censor shares the same view as Victorians who coined the term: "white meat" so that they could mention in polite company a specific part of birds. We have made no such sightings as yet here.

A factor which is looming on the edge of our consciousness is that it might be appropriate after we have moved all of our belongings and established some sort of order is to share our home with a cat. Or two. Or thirty. It would not have been right and proper before now because there were periods when we were both absent because of work. That part of our life is winding down due to evolutions in the industries. I could have been on the road at least once each month when I began a few years ago. I have only two such ventures proposed in all of 2022 and one is likely to be cancelled or handled by a person more conversant with new programs and protocols. My little fuzzy has at all times straddled the line between established procedures and cutting-edge techniques. The lines there are constantly moving and he is beginning to feel that remaining current has become a chase after diminishing returns. I say that just as he is to leave Tuesday for four days because a seminar originally scheduled for last August and which would best be held this coming June suddenly has been declared a priority by his best client! Ha!  

There is an old adage that a cat makes a house a home. I am quickly approaching a new record for length of time with no cat in my life. I know that it will not be easy because we will never buy one from a mill and adoption agencies will never approve us because we both smoke. The matter is not imperative and it will be interesting to see what comes along if we simply keep our eyes open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

Don't let them get in your attic. They'll try. Squirrels, chipmunks and field mice have lots of time on their hands. I had to squirrel-proof my bird feeder, but I always toss handfuls of the seed for the ground-feeders. Some birds are ground feeders too, like the mourning doves. You're right that it's fun to watch. It's a window into another world. 

I often bake using almonds and sometimes have extra, so I like to distribute a few to the squirrels in Riverside Park. I guess I'm of the opposite view: in a sort of mammalian solidarity, I  prefer to feed the squirrels. I resent it when the birds swoop down and try to grab the almonds. The speed and dexterity of those tiny sparrows has to be guarded against! Even the tiniest sparrow seems capable of picking up a meaty whole almond and flying off with it!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DougieB said:

So no hidden lair in a volcano for you? I always liked the secluded island home of the Tracy family in the Thunderbirds movies, with the giant swimming pool which can be retracted when they launch their spaceships from underneath. Because let's make it as complicated as we can, right? If you're lucky, Lady Penelope would come visit in her flying pink limo.

OIP.jpg

P.S. I had to check because these things evaporate right out of my head as soon as they're over, but the Redwood-tapping movie was called Where Your Heart Belongs. It must have already been in the can because our gal Jen Lilley was one of the first to defect to the new and exciting Great American Channel. (All please rise and genuflect in the general direction of Mar-a-Lago.) Her co-star was Christopher Russell, one of the many former underwear models they love to employ. It also features Jill Morrison, an actress Hackmark has just started to use. She's "ample" and will probably be relegated to best friend roles forever, but she's pretty good when she's not trying too hard to be Melissa McCarthy.

Does Honolulu have volcanoes?  Or are they on the other islands?  Or were you referring to those Thunderbird movies?  (I'm ashamed to say I've never seen any)

Guess what -- I stumbled upon Hallmark this afternoon and what scene did it land on?  One of the blandly handsome Canadian male leads looked like he was Redwood tapping!!  I actually shouted at my t.v. screen "That's what Dougie was talking about!"   The title is now out of my head but I think it did have something with "Your Heart" in it.   There is an interracial romance and the bride is pleasantly plumpish.  Plus a "flamboyant" character.   At least the channel is lumbering in the right direction as far as diversity goes.   I only wish the scripts were that varied.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Does Honolulu have volcanoes?  Or are they on the other islands?  Or were you referring to those Thunderbird movies?  (I'm ashamed to say I've never seen any)

Guess what -- I stumbled upon Hallmark this afternoon and what scene did it land on?  One of the blandly handsome Canadian male leads looked like he was Redwood tapping!!  I actually shouted at my t.v. screen "That's what Dougie was talking about!"   The title is now out of my head but I think it did have something with "Your Heart" in it.   There is an interracial romance and the bride is pleasantly plumpish.  Plus a "flamboyant" character.   At least the channel is lumbering in the right direction as far as diversity goes.   I only wish the scripts were that varied.

I was thinking of the cliche volcano hideout, like in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and most recently in the Austin Powers movies. Bad joke because it's so not you. 

You might enjoy the Thunderbirds movies, in which an unfailingly chipper family of puppets saves the world. It was a British TV series mostly, but there were two movies in the late 1960's, Thunderbirds Are Go! and Thunderbird 6. They were supposedly filmed in "Supermarionation". Definitely a gimmick but the puppetry is actually good and they're as darling as any real-life Caucasian dynasty. It's actually an improvement over stop-motion in some ways; there's not much herky-jerkiness and the miniatures are at least as good as anything the Japanese were doing at the time. (I love the screwy Italian attempts to do Japanese space opera like Wild Wild Planet (1966). Lots of amusing touches, like an outer-space drive-in where British secret agent Lady Penelope can drive her flying car up for curb service. It's probably not weird enough for Svengoolie but they're good fun and I bet the theaters were loaded with stoned hippies when they first showed. Trey Parker's Team America: World Police (2004) turned the whole concept on its head and showed the inherent aggression behind the idea of saving the world for democracy. (And with X-rated puppets.)

I'm trying to envision how shaken you must have been to come upon that scene without warning. They probably could have gotten away with an oak or an aspen, but a Redwood? Hallmark has obviously fallen victim to that "Don't believe your lying eyes" syndrome that's sweeping the nation. I'm so glad you shouted at your TV screen. It was the only proper thing to do.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:58 AM, DougieB said:

Lol. I can see this ongoing story's going to take a while. Let me get my popcorn.

You get a reprieve. Just after chiding me for going to something I agreed to almost a year ago, she jumped at an offer to fly to Canada. My thing ended before it started because everyone agreed it'd be better to wait a few months. I was back home within 18 hours. She contracted for three days, but the last time she did this type of thing, it took weeks (it's fiddly tech stuff which laughs at completion schedules). Tomorrow's the third day, and she's finished with only 2 of the 11 sites . . .

FWIW: The new storm door cost $218. Her new chair was $1185. 

One good thing (besides the squirrels) is she finally gave up the apartment she had before we got married. I never really understood why she kept it, but it was her money, and she felt strongly about it, so not my place to say anything. I'm sure she can find another use for that $475 a month. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Lol. I think Bronxie was onto something when she got a "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" vibe from you two. I think we need to get a documentary crew over there right away. This is getting good.

• Haha 3

On 1/10/2022 at 9:13 AM, DougieB said:

I was thinking of the cliche volcano hideout, like in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and most recently in the Austin Powers movies. Bad joke because it's so not you. 

You might enjoy the Thunderbirds movies, in which an unfailingly chipper family of puppets saves the world. It was a British TV series mostly, but there were two movies in the late 1960's, Thunderbirds Are Go! and Thunderbird 6. They were supposedly filmed in "Supermarionation". Definitely a gimmick but the puppetry is actually good and they're as darling as any real-life Caucasian dynasty. It's actually an improvement over stop-motion in some ways; there's not much herky-jerkiness and the miniatures are at least as good as anything the Japanese were doing at the time. (I love the screwy Italian attempts to do Japanese space opera like Wild Wild Planet (1966). Lots of amusing touches, like an outer-space drive-in where British secret agent Lady Penelope can drive her flying car up for curb service. It's probably not weird enough for Svengoolie but they're good fun and I bet the theaters were loaded with stoned hippies when they first showed. Trey Parker's Team America: World Police (2004) turned the whole concept on its head and showed the inherent aggression behind the idea of saving the world for democracy. (And with X-rated puppets.)

I'm trying to envision how shaken you must have been to come upon that scene without warning. They probably could have gotten away with an oak or an aspen, but a Redwood? Hallmark has obviously fallen victim to that "Don't believe your lying eyes" syndrome that's sweeping the nation. I'm so glad you shouted at your TV screen. It was the only proper thing to do.

First off, I want to thank dear friend and fellow member FrankGrimes for his invaluable help in getting me back on the boards after I had some major glitches logging in.   And also to the TCM mod who facilitated my "comeback", lol.   

Dougie, there is nothing I'm fonder of than "chipper puppets", except in Hallmark movies.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:48 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

First off, I want to thank dear friend and fellow member FrankGrimes for his invaluable help in getting me back on the boards after I had some major glitches logging in.   And also to the TCM mod who facilitated my "comeback", lol.   

Dougie, there is nothing I'm fonder of than "chipper puppets", except in Hallmark movies.

The Bride of Chucky Saves Christmas? Hallmark has only done unintentional horror. Maybe it should move on to the real thing.

You must never admit you're making a comeback. It's unbefitting  a star of your stature. I remember hearing once that a reporter approached Gale Storm when she was doing a play at some out-of-the-way theater years after My Little Margie and Oh, Susannah! and asked how she was enjoying her comeback. Well, you can imagine. Once a star, always a star, so no comeback for you, Bronxie! 

I recently had a nice interaction with a mod too. I'd gotten a little school-marmish with one of the vaguer posters (It was part of a general discussion with others.) and some posts got deleted. I got a nice PM explaining it all from the mod point of view, I assume from an old friend from days gone by on these boards who "graduated" into the hallowed halls of TCM.

• Haha 1

Oh yes, Dougie, I am dazzling, you have to wear sunglasses to see me! (I know that's a line from some movie but I'm not remembering which one)  

Changing the subject a bit, I saw a Cheerios commercial in which I thought I heard them say that they were going to make the cereal heart-shaped not just for Valentine's Day but --permanently!  How can this be??  The name itself has the "o".   People expect Cheerios to be round!  What bleepery is going on??    Or, to paraphrase Ingrid in GASLIGHT, did I dream it all, did I truly??  

• Haha 1

I watched LOVE STRIKES BACK last night, Hallmark's version of PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED.    Rip-off, actually.   

The most positive thing I can say about it is that the lead actor playing hubby Josh wasn't intolerable.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:21 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

I watched LOVE STRIKES BACK last night, Hallmark's version of PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED.    Rip-off, actually.   

The most positive thing I can say about it is that the lead actor playing hubby Josh wasn't intolerable.

"Not intolerable". We have to take these small positives where we can when it comes to Hallmark, I guess. They've also butchered Groundhog Day a couple of times. Hallmark's like the kid in class who's always trying to cheat off of everyone else's homework.

I hadn't heard of Cheerios' bold new venture. People love to appropriate the heart the way they appropriate the flag. Some fool's going to propose a heart-shaped quarter, maybe a special commemorative run with all the Bachelorettes on them. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It never fails to make me warm all over knowing that two iconic American actors, Henry Fonda and James Stewart, were such good friends despite different ideologies/world views in terms of political beliefs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

My maternal grandmother was Ukranian.  Her husband, my grandfather, was born in St. Petersburg.

Let us pray for both sides in this tragedy.

I sincerely appreciate your feelings and I'm sure your grandmother and grandfather were no strangers to the kind of oppressive forces at work today, but my prayer for Russia has to be that the Russian people can find the will and the way to disassemble Putin and send the parts back to the dictator factory for proper disposal. Russia bears the shame in this, the same way we bore the shame under our disgraced ex-president for his actions in our name. But you're right that both sides are engulfed in tragedy, the tragedy being that yet another charismatic (I don't see it.) a-hole has found a way to put his bloody stamp on human history. Whether this will discourage or encourage other like-minded would-be "leaders" around the world remains to be seen. This will either stun the human race into sanity or take us closer to the brink. I don't consider myself "religious" and if you were to ask me I'd probably say I'm not a praying person, but the fact is that I do pray at least once every day and last night I included "both sides" in my prayer. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Dougie.

Not sure which disgraced president you're referring to (we had several of them), but I agree with everything else in your post.

Sorry to bring in politics -- since I've got THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN OF THE HIMALAYAS on Fox in the background.

• Like 1

I meant the one who bad-mouthed NATO and praised Putin, but I'm the one who should be sorry for bringing in politics. It's hard not to think in those terms these days, but these Forums (and this thread in particular) are supposed to be our oasis, so I'll zip it from here on. 

The Abominable Snowman is a good distraction, an early Hammer that's agreeably silly in just the right way. The Mole Pople is my favorite Himalaya-adjacent creature flick. The Alligator People comes up a lot on Fox too and it's as dumb as it sounds, though I'm sure you've seen it by now. Humanoid alligators in khakis, like your pal Ro-Man, another two-fer in the same body.

• Like 1

Oh that prez.....yeah....oy......lol, they're all lousy, both sides, in my humble opinion.  Anyone seeking that job has got to be nuts....

But yes, let's talk about what's really important!

See the source image

• Haha 2