Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

Bronxgirl48

1 minute ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Now I've heard everything!

I first heard the song (Chad Mitchell version) on the radio and went up to Woolworth's on Fordham Road to buy the 45. Later, when I became familiar with the New Faces score, where it originated, I heard that version.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it but had to laugh at your description of the losers' club in The Smell of Fear. It reminded me right away of the waterfront dive bar for bus drivers in The Big Bus (1976), about the maiden voyage of a colossal nuclear-powered bus (from New York to Denver). It's stupid through and through, but a lot of it works pretty well. (There's a really expansive cocktail lounge/ piano bar somewhere in the middle of the bus.) A cabal of oil sheiks is trying to destroy it before it catches on and busses go nuclear. Joseph Bologna plays the disgraced bus driver who's recruited to redeem himself, like one of those pilots in air disaster movies with a crash in his past. I wish his wife Renee Taylor were in it too because it's perfect for her kind of delivery. I think I saw it on TCM so maybe they'll get around to showing it again. Stupid fun. 

On 8/15/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Anyone a fan of the Naked Gun series?

Best thing to lift me out of depression and despair!

My favorite of the sequels is "Smell of Fear".   Who can forget the (literal) "blues" club for life's losers, with photos on the wall of the Titanic sinking, Neville Chamberlain holding up the "peace in our time" document presaging WWII, and other world tragedies.   

• Like 2

Oh my gosh, Dougie -- where have I been not seeing THE BIG BUS??  What's worse, I have to shamefully admit I've never even heard of it!  And I'm a Joseph Bologna fan!  

Pre-AIRPLANE spoof -- wow!  Maybe I can catch this on YouTube!

Thank you so very, very much, my friend!

• Like 1

Today is August 24th, the birthday of a very special friend to me and many others here at Turner Classic Movies -- FrankGrimes.

Frank, you are truly one of nature's noblemen, a highly valued contributor to this board and a person filled with grace, charm, penetrating insights, and a heart overflowing with humanity and love.

Hope you are "feline" fine!

Your pals, Barb and Irena

See the source image

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HAPPY SEPTEMBER BIRTHDAY to rohanaka, valued friend to myself and many others on these boards.   She is a very special person (and fellow Libra) who, like me, appreciates a good lizard (Godzilla).   

Wishing you and your family all my love and blessings!

Always,

Barb

HAPPY SEPTEMBER BIRTHDAY to rohanaka, valued friend to myself and many others on these boards.   She is a very special person (and fellow Libra) who, like me, appreciates a good lizard (Godzilla).   

Wishing you and your family all my love and blessings!

Always,

Barb

See the source image

Thanks to you (and my favorite Monster lizard too :) )  for the very kind birthday wish!  It was sweet of you to think of me. ❤️

Stay safe out there in the ole Sunshine State. (hopefully the sun will stay shining and the worst of the storm will pass you by!) Do take care! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't find pictures of a sausage-themed birthday cake, so I'll just wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY. And, I guess, due to the finite wisdom of TCM, for all your birthdays in the future. And, speaking of finite wisdom, Hackmark has once again chosen your big day to kick off its World o' Christmas. Too bad TV remotes don't have an Ignore feature, eh? A lot of their biggies jumped ship to the Great American Family Channel, where non-diversity reigns, so Hackmark is testing out potential new "stars". It's like watching tryouts for the high school play and the jerk who starts the food fights in the cafeteria gets the lead.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your birthday wishes, Dougie.  I am drowning my sorrows (time marching on and the finiteness indeed of TCM) in root beer and pizza (sausage and onion).

I saw Noel Next Door on Hackmark yesterday.  Another winner, lol.   Their productions are indeed untouched by human hands.  I will always be tuning in because I like outer-space comedies.

I am so grateful to everyone who participated on this thread.  Mom would be proud.   I am too.  We had a wonderful run.  My blessings to you all.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, we had such good times here.

I was and am blessed to have such fond memories with wonderful people who became friends.

All of you who contributed and supported this thread are owed such a debt of gratitude by me.  Mom is smiling down.

Thank you so much.   It was a grand run.

• Like 4

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings