Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

A good Karloffian Friday to y'all.

Miss G. and jackie, the only things I found frightening about THE BLOB were: 1. Dr. Hallen's ornate teal-colored living room with the fancy-schmanzy wall sconces. I don't know, but somehow it reminded me of a bordello. 2. Aneta's little brother and his equally disturbing teddy bear with the crazy eyes. 3. Those 50's skirts. All the girls looked like tropical drinks from Trader Vic's.

I am trying to recover from the trauma I suffered this afternoon upon hearing that Mom saw FAITHLESS last night with Tallulah Bankhead and Bobbie Montgomery. I saw the tail end of it and jokingly asked her if she would take to the streets to save her sick husband and/or child. She didn't even pause. "I might".

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 30, 2009 6:51 PM

Maven, I saw THE DEVIL COMMANDS on YouTube last night!! I didn't even know it was on, I just happened upon it! And I'm gonna watch it AGAIN at 5:30 this evening. I told Mom to tune in.

Oh, oh, oh! Anne Revere!!! I'm LOVING her there! Here is how to get rid of THE BLOB permanently: Forget the Antarctic. Just put it on Mrs. Walters and watch it disintegrate from the MOST INTENSE COLD IN THE UNIVERSE. I saw your comments at our other environ, and will post there later.

lol! That's a dedicated Mom!

I really like FAITHLESS and had hoped I was getting it recorded but my dumb machine had switched to Daylight Savings Time last weekend without my realizing it. Drat.

As for Ann Revere, I only caught the last ten minutes of TDC so I didn't get a feel for what her character was like...I just remember thinking "How appropriate" her being cast in a horror movie was. Something about her intensity is perfect for the proceedings! :D

She can make Karloff seem warm and fuzzy sometimes (I do like her in National Velvet, though, she was good there).

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> lol! That's a dedicated Mom!

I keep seeing her in that HBO documentary, with fishnet hose....the horror, the horror.

>

> I really like FAITHLESS and had hoped I was getting it recorded but my dumb machine had switched to Daylight Savings Time last weekend without my realizing it. Drat.

Is it that time already to fall backward?

>

> As for Ann Revere, I only caught the last ten minutes of TDC so I didn't get a feel for what her character was like...I just remember thinking "How appropriate" her being cast in a horror movie was. Something about her intensity is perfect for the proceedings! :D

>

> She can make Karloff seem warm and fuzzy sometimes (I do like her in National Velvet, though, she was good there).

Mom is losing more and more of it:

"Was Boris Karloff English?"

Oy.

This is now my favorite Anne Revere performance! Or should I say, the only one I really like her in. Her "Mrs. Walters" makes Helen Walker as Lilith Ritter in NIGHTMARE ALLEY look like Tinker Bell, I'm telling you.

I know Mom doesn't care for horror or sci-fi stories, but didn't think she would react so negatively to THE DEVIL COMMANDS. Here is her indignant stream of consciousness:

"Why did you make me watch this? It was the stupidest thing I ever saw, it didn't make any sense to me! Where did Karloff get all those metal suits for the bodies? I didn't understand. Did he make them himself or did he have to mail order them from a catalog? It was so dumb! I mean, he was a devoted husband, that's true, but did he have to go to such lengths to talk to her? I realize she couldn't use the telephone anymore, but he was just crazy. And the woman assistant, you could tell she was nutty from the get-go. And that Carl, I wanted him to speak. I can't imagine why you thought this was any good. I'm going to watch Chris Matthews on MSNBC instead of ISLE OF THE DEAD."

Chris Matthews instead of ISLE OF THE DEAD. Now THAT'S crazy.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 30, 2009 7:07 PM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> This is now my favorite Anne Revere performance! Or should I say, the only one I really like her in. Her "Mrs. Walters" makes Helen Walker as Lilith Ritter in NIGHTMARE ALLEY look like Tinker Bell, I'm telling you.

>

Wow! Lethal. I kind of wish I'd seen it all, now. I recorded three or four of the earlier Karloff movies, and now I'm recording (finally) ISLE OF THE DEAD. It's a bit talky but I've always liked it. Borie in his Harpo Marx hairdo is strangely appealing...

> I know Mom doesn't care for horror or sci-fi stories, but didn't think she would react so negatively to THE DEVIL COMMANDS. Here is her indignant stream of consciousness:

>

:D

> "Why did you make me watch this? It was the stupidest thing I ever saw, it didn't make any sense to me! Where did Karloff get all those metal suits for the bodies? I didn't understand. Did he make them himself or did he have to mail order them from a catalog? It was so dumb! I mean, he was a devoted husband, that's true, but did he have to go to such lengths to talk to her? I realize she couldn't use the telephone anymore, but he was just crazy. And the woman assistant, you could tell she was nutty from the get-go. And that Carl, I wanted him to speak. I can't imagine why you thought this was any good. I'm going to watch Chris Matthews on MSNBC instead of ISLE OF THE DEAD."

>

> Chris Matthews instead of ISLE OF THE DEAD. Now THAT'S crazy.

>

Hahahahahahahaa!!! She is hysterical! I realize she couldn't use the telephone anymore, but he was just crazy. Too, too funny!

I actually remember being surprised when I learned Karloff was English. :D What can I say...too much peroxide...

> Wow! Lethal. I kind of wish I'd seen it all, now. I recorded three or four of the earlier Karloff movies, and now I'm recording (finally) ISLE OF THE DEAD. It's a bit talky but I've always liked it. Borie in his Harpo Marx hairdo is strangely appealing...

Agree about ISLE OF THE DEAD and Karloff! I as well think he's oddly

attractive. (he's curly in THE INVISIBLE RAY too) I'm drawn to him "that way" in THE DEVIL COMMANDS for some reason. (before he falls apart)

> I actually remember being surprised when I learned Karloff was English. :D What can I say...too much peroxide...

I was surprised to find out that Boris actually comes from an Anglo-Indian background! I saw a photograph once of him and his four (or was it five) brothers and it was amazing. I believe his mother came from India. A very handsome family.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Oct 30, 2009 8:11 PM

I was surprised to find out that Boris actually comes from an Anglo-Indian background! I saw a photograph once of him and his four (or was it five) brothers and it was amazing. I believe his mother came from India. A very handsome family.

Really?? How fascinating. Isn't his real name William Henry something or other? I think that's a rather sweet name, I wonder why he changed it? To be more exotic sounding?

You know, I was astonished at how tan he looked in Die! Monster, Die! I kept wondering if those plants had super-tanning agents because he sure as heck didn't get that color in foggy old England, lol.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I was surprised to find out that Boris actually comes from an Anglo-Indian background! I saw a photograph once of him and his four (or was it five) brothers and it was amazing. I believe his mother came from India. A very handsome family.

>

> Really?? How fascinating. Isn't his real name William Henry something or other? I think that's a rather sweet name, I wonder why he changed it? To be more exotic sounding?

William Henry Pratt. I think he took the name "Boris Karloff" from some branch of the family.

>

> You know, I was astonished at how tan he looked in Die! Monster, Die! I kept wondering if those plants had super-tanning agents because he sure as heck didn't get that color in foggy old England, lol.

All his brothers looked tan, lean, and not so much English. I believe they were in the civil service.

William Henry Pratt. I think he took the name "Boris Karloff" from some branch of the family.

How interesting!! I knew you'd know the scoop...

All his brothers looked tan, lean, and not so much English. I believe they were in the civil service.

Fascinating. I just learned an odd bit of trivia. Apparently Boris was in France while Frank Sinatra was there filming Kings Go Forth, and he coached Frankie for his role. He told Frank to use his voice more, an odd bit of advice for "the voice", ha. He also apparently had the same practical advice Spencer Tracy gave regarding the craft..."Know your lines, be on time, hit your marks."

> Just perfect for Halloween Eve. The Man Who Never Shuts Up.

LOL!

I am finding I can't resist Bobby in *Night Must Fall*..... I have to go watch.

What a perfect day - I started it with Kathleen Harrison in The Ghoul, now I am ending it with Kathleen Harrison in NMF..... she is one of my favorite actresses - but always stuck playing cockney maids and housekeepers. Her voice is so great, very lowbrow. I wonder if she ever played Mistress Quickly, she would have been great. Did you know that she lived to the age of 103?

Nitey nite ladies.....

Edited by: JackFavell on Oct 30, 2009 10:16 PM

nite nite,jackie! i love kathleen harrison, too, and was just thinking the exact same thing...how delightful she is in any movie. always has her own opinion! like the english thelma ritter.

bobby is so delightfully wicked!!

> Fascinating. I just learned an odd bit of trivia. Apparently Boris was in France while Frank Sinatra was there filming Kings Go Forth, and he coached Frankie for his role. He told Frank to use his voice more, an odd bit of advice for "the voice", ha. He also apparently had the same practical advice Spencer Tracy gave regarding the craft..."Know your lines, be on time, hit your marks."

Now that is something I never heard before! And Frank respected and looked up to those veteran actors. (when Bela Lugosi was in his downward spiral, Sinatra sent him money)