Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please fix the TCM Trailer aspect ratio for older films!

I've noticed that lately the trailers for older Academy ratio movies are made to look widescreen, thereby distorting the image and cutting out visual and credit information. 

Can this be corrected please??

• Thanks 2

Thanks for raising this problem.  In addition to the distorted trailers I've seen recently, there have sometimes been full movies shown in the wrong aspect ratio -- although fortunately, that doesn't happen too often.

The aspect ratio -- for both trailers and the movies themselves -- is important to get right!

This was mentioned previously in another thread, but for some reason TCM has been repeatedly stretching the Popeye cartoons on Saturday mornings as well.

Yes, there are bigger problems in the world…

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to say it looks like this issue was resolved. Trailers of all aspect ratios seem to be back to normal!  My brain feels better... Now on to solving that pesky world peace problem!

• Like 3

Sorry to chime in again, but I'm pleased to say that TCM has also upgraded the quality of the last several Popeye cartoons - they now appear to be restored HD versions with the proper aspect ratio.  I hope Saturday morning Popeye fans are happy.

Fixed the aspect ratio for a trailer, really? :lol:

How about when theaters had to crop a 1:33 trailer / teaser for a 1:85 movie? (they were attached to the beginning of some films )

Projector aperture plate

(1:66 was European "widescreen")

• Like 1

TCM makes a point of screening movies as they were meant to be seen. I would assume as the keeper of the classic movie flame that would also apply to trailers and cartoons and any other moving  images as well!

Sadly, wrong aspect showings of TCM's library of films is an ongoing issue with many films made available via WatchTCM. I rarely have time to sit down to watch a film as it shows live on TCM such that much of my viewing is via WatchTCM on my computer mirrored to my TV.  I can only assume the broadcast versions are also in the wrong aspect ratio, tho other subscribers might know differently.  Sadly, many of the 1930s, 40s and 50s B-movies and some A-movies are being streamed in the wrong - albeit only slightly yet still annoyingly noticeable - aspect ratio.  As an example, Bad Boy (1949) is a 1.37:1 film aspect, but the WatchTCM version is streaming at roughly 1.33:1. It's a small difference but has an marked impact on the actors features; James Gleason is ridiculously thinned in face and Lloyd Nolan ends up looking baby-faced rather than tough. Perhaps I'm in a minority, but the wrong aspect significantly reduces my enjoyment of a film and can be headache inducing.

I've contacted TCM Help Desk via the website to point this out on a number of films the last month.  No progress.  Perhaps others might do the same to increase the pressure to ensure the films are shown in the correct aspect??

Well I guess I was wrong... The trailer for Tennessee Johnson was shown at the wrong aspect ratio.

So much for my getting to that world peace situation... I'll have to stick with this crisis a little longer!

TCM's mantra from the beginning has been "complete and uncut" and they've always hawked that their films were shown the way the directors and DPs originally intended.  For YEARS they ran that spot about widescreen and letterboxing, so it only makes sense that ALL of the films and related materials should be shown in their original aspect ratio. Period.

• Thanks 1

I saw trailers in the wrong aspect ratio as recently as yesterday.  TCM can do better, as they've previously demonstrated by consistently showing the trailers in the right aspect ratio.  They need to resume paying attention to these details.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, overeasy said:

TCM's mantra from the beginning has been "complete and uncut" and they've always hawked that their films were shown the way the directors and DPs originally intended.  For YEARS they ran that spot about widescreen and letterboxing, so it only makes sense that ALL of the films and related materials should be shown in their original aspect ratio. Period.

They actually temper that statement a bit by saying they show what they have access to.  If a studio/copyright holder hasn't released a copy in the correct aspect ratio as shown in the theater, in a format they can legally use, TCM isn't going to create it.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

They actually temper that statement a bit by saying they show what they have access to.  If a studio/copyright holder hasn't released a copy in the correct aspect ratio as shown in the theater, in a format they can legally use, TCM isn't going to create it./

I could be wrong but trailers are in the public domain as they are used for advertising. Either way why change the aspect ratio on a print for a trailer in the first place? Seems to be an expense with no benefit,

It appears that TCM does have control over this particular situation, since they are creating a widescreen (16x9) promo which inserts the trailer into their own frame.  This gives them the ability to add their own information next to the trailer.

For a widescreen trailer there is no issue, since they can use a widescreen cutout above the text.

yDkUz5w.jpg

For a fullscreen (~4x3) trailer, if they want to use the same layout they have to decide if they want to zoom in (crop) or stretch the trailer to fit into the frame they have chosen.  Or they could use a narrower frame for a 4x3 image, but they might feel that this leaves too much empty space in the layout, or the image would be too small to make out the details on a TV.  It's entirely up to them.

Somewhere along the line it was decided that stretching the trailer was OK for a promo of this type.  As long as that doesn't start creeping into the movies themselves...

• 1 month later...

TCM is continuing to show trailers in the wrong aspect ratio.  Almost every trailer I’ve seen recently has been one that should be in the 4:3 aspect ratio, but they’re routinely shown in the widescreen format, which stretches and distorts the picture.

Most  recently, I saw the trailer for Valley of Decision in this distorted format, just a few minutes ago.

TCM, please correct this!

• Like 1

Lately I've been trying very hard to not let negativity into my life. There's so much of it out there that it can be quite debilitating . However, since I started this thread, I felt compelled to respond.

While this is just the smallest of annoyances it occurred to me last night, when I saw the ANCHORS AWAY trailer out of ratio, that TCM has kind of given up being precise.

It may have started with the pervasive ads touting anything with the TCM logo slapped on it.

Perhaps it's when they stopped giving exact times on the preview cards and went with Next, Later and Sometime In A Couple of Hours...

Certainly the recent Horoscope Spotlight was a nadir.

Maybe it's when Robert died. I don't know. I just know, and here comes my old chestnut, letting Ben say whatever he wants adds nothing to the introduction and often detracts from my enjoyment of the wrap-arounds. Another key element to my watching TCM.

I love this channel. It's the one I primarily watch. It means a great deal to me for many reasons. And like a lot of people I feel very proprietary towards it. I don't want to be one of those people who keep carping that TCM is not what it was. But honestly it's not.

I'm over 60 now and I don't want to shake my hand at the TV and yell, You kids get off my channel!" but it's becoming clear to me I'm slowly moving past their target audience.

• Like 5

Just to illustrate, here's an example of an older promo for Kings Row without stretching:

F9jzAHl.jpg

And a more recent promo for Anchors Aweigh:

DfxBrU9.jpg

Not sure I can understand why this was chosen when the other approach is perfectly fine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Just to illustrate, here's an example of an older promo for Kings Row without stretching:

F9jzAHl.jpg

And a more recent promo for Anchors Aweigh:

DfxBrU9.jpg

Not sure I can understand why this was chosen when the other approach is perfectly fine.

Doesn't make sense.  That image is stretched, rather than cropped.

• Like 1

I think it's just that TCM is getting sloppy about some things figuring no one will care enough to switch the channel to something else simply because of an incorrect aspect ratio on a preview.  But it is sloppy because they're supposed to know better. 

If TCM doesn't really care about showing movies in their proper aspect ratios anymore then I can save them some money!  For example:  I can lend TCM my 1978 Magnetic Video Corporation VHS release of  BUS STOP  dirt cheap!  They can air it "as is".  For this VHS release from '78 the picture is not cropped •or• panned-and-scanned . . . it's just that the /sides/ are cut off. 

What you see on the tape is simply the middle of the picture.  When the opening credits roll you can't see the full names of anyone on the left side of the screen because the first names of the actors and other folks are cut/off and on the right side of the screen everyone's last name is chop/ped off!  It's GREAT!  🤪

So you'll see 'RILYN MONRO' -- get the idea? 

The good news is you can't tell how fake the background is when Don Murray and Arthur O'Connell are talking in the back of the bus.  You see the window behind them and you can't tell how fake the background is because the picture is so grainy.  So it's got that goin' for it. 

I LEASE CHEAP!  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1