Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 6/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, Peebs said:

Peter Medak directed both films and you can tell that he was still quite affected by the miserable experience he had working with Sellers in 1985.  I

Ummm ...

Peter Sellers RIP 1980?

On 7/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, cmovieviewer said:

Season 2 episode 1 is out now.  Less Ben this time around with Julie Salamon doing almost all of the narration.

Not sure I will enjoy the story of The Bonfire of the Vanities production disaster as much as season 1, but I'll keep listening.

Any comments?

I guess I'm puzzled by why a discussion over what all parties assume to be a disaster is supposed to be an attraction.  I saw it in the theaters, it was a disappointment. Something I'd rather put in the real view and leave it. It's on TCM on Monday if anyone wants to relive it.

I might be interested in the 3rd episode if it's on Lucy as indicated by the graphic.

(edit) 30 years can make a difference.  This movie would be ripe for cancel culture because of truth. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 7/4/2021 at 7:08 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Ummm ...

Peter Sellers RIP 1980?

Ummm... typo?   Yep, you're correct, wrong date.  The movie Ghost in the Noonday Sun came out in 1974.  Thanks.

Really enjoyed Season 1 of The Plot Thickens, and the first episode of the second season.

Also looking forward to a night Brian De Palma as I've only seen like two of his movies...none of which are on the schedule tonight!

• 4 weeks later...

For right now I’m planning on seeing it on Amazon Prime Video.  Right after I finish season 2 of The Plot Thickens.  It’s great.  Do you think The Bonfire Of The Vanities or maybe a night of Brian Depalma will be on here again sometime?  Featuring The Bonfire Of The Vanities again?

6 hours ago, David Guercio said:

For right now I’m planning on seeing it on Amazon Prime Video.  Right after I finish season 2 of The Plot Thickens.  It’s great.  Do you think The Bonfire Of The Vanities or maybe a night of Brian Depalma will be on here again sometime?  Featuring The Bonfire Of The Vanities again?

Not anytime soon since August is dedicated to TCM's Summer Under the Stars.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to episode 5 and was thinking.  Since Season 3 will be all about Lucille Ball?  Maybe she could be SOTM or maybe they could have a night of her films.  I know she won’t be next month.  But that’s a really great thought if you ask me and she was great.  All the Lucy shows.  Especially I Love Lucy and she and Desi Arness were also really great together in The Long Long Trailer too.  Who were also married in real life for a while and she was The Queen Of Comedy and remember when she hosted The Best Of Three’s Company and met with John Ritter on the set afterwords and I saw the movie she and Bob Hope did together too.  That was great too and they were great together too.  But I kind of forget what it’s called right now.  So season 3 will be great and this season’s great too.  I’m going to see the movie and check it out when I’m all finished listening.

• Like 1

I just read that Vanity Fair is doing a podcast about Joan Bennett and her husband producer Walter Wanger that could be interesting:

"Condé Nast’s Vanity Fair announced its first-ever narrative podcast series, “Love Is a Crime,” co-hosted by podcaster Karina Longworth (“You Must Remember This”) and filmmaker Vanessa Hope, will premiere Aug. 17. Co-produced with Audacy’s Cadence13, the podcast’s voice casts includes Jon HammZooey DeschanelGriffin DuneMara Wilson and Adam Mortimer. “Love Is a Crime” follows the tale of Hope’s grandparents — Hollywood producer Walter Wanger and his wife, actress Joan Bennett — whose work together helped invent film noir before the couple became embroiled in a bloody scandal.

In 1951, Wanger (voiced by Hamm) shot agent Jennings Lang, whom Wanger suspected was having an affair with Bennett (voiced by Deschanel) — but it was Bennett who paid a public price for her husband’s offense. The 10-episode series will be available at listen.vanityfair.com/loveisacrime and major podcast platforms."

Update 8/20/2021-- I just listened to the first episode.  If you've ever heard You Must Remember This podcast (hosted by the above mentioned Karina Longworth) it's very similar:  Contextualizing things for the modern listener, mispronouncing the occasional name ("Joel McCrea-ay")  but covering an interesting subject.   Zooey Deschanel as Joan Bennett is either very campy or very bad.  It's hard to tell after just one episode.  

Great.  This actually reminds me of The Pack Podcast.  With all the stars and stuff.  Including Blair Underwood.  Who’s Free Form Santa and the host of Free Form’s 25 Days Of Christmas on Free Form.  If they have him be Free Form Santa and host again this year?  I think it will be his fourth year.  I can’t wait.  It will be great.  He’s really good and I’m going to have to check out this Podcast.

Of course you could listen directly on the The Plot Thickens homepage or if you haven’t subscribed to the The Plot Thickens Podcast in the Podcasts app.  Which I’m sure you have.  Because I’m sure you’ve listened to Season One I’m Still Peter Bogdanovich right?  But you could do those two things.  Whichever one you want and I think there are also different ways to listen too.  Enjoy.  This is a really great season.

Wow, that Siskel & Ebert ep and the four movies in question provide really strong circa 1990 deja vu!

Edit: The Russia House doesn't even get mentioned in the opening teaser.

Second Edit: I enjoyed the nuanced discussion of Sophia Coppola's performance. Virtually my only memories of the movie from that era are of the incredible sh*t storm that rained down on her from the public about her performance! Thank goodness for her it was before the age of social media. It might have destroyed her. Thankfully, she rebounded with a highgly acclaimed directing career.

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, that Siskel & Ebert ep and the four movies in question provide really strong circa 1990 deja vu!

I used to faithfully watch Siskel & Ebert every week.  It's too bad there isn't any similar show today, as far as I know.  It was a great way to discover smaller movies. Even if I didn't always agree with their opinions, I enjoyed their  discussions.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Peebs said:

I used to faithfully watch Siskel & Ebert every week.  It's too bad there isn't any similar show today, as far as I know.  It was a great way to discover smaller movies. Even if I didn't always agree with their opinions, I enjoyed their  discussions.  

I really can't believe it has been 30+ years since this film came out.  Movies and movie reviews are in a much different place now.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished it last night.  Both the last and bonus episode.  It was great.  I loved it.  Great season.  So Brian De Palma actually got the idea from both Julie Salaman’s book The Devil’s Candy and the The Bonfire Of The Vanities book right?  I’m going to check out the movie now.  I could have seen it on here during the Brian De Palma lineup at the end of July.  But I thought I’d listen to this season first and I tivoed SOTM Elvis and watched him and I’m really looking forward to this upcoming third season all about Lucille Ball this fall.  I can’t wait and thanks for posting the Siskal & Ebert episode from YouTube that featured The Bonfire Of The Vanities movie.  Even they didn’t like it and as I was listening last night.  I was wondering.  Do you think you could actually request what a season could be about?  I was thinking it could be about Mel Brooks sometime.  I love him.

9 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I was wondering.  Do you think you could actually request what a season could be about?  I was thinking it could be about Mel Brooks sometime.  I love him.

You could always send in a suggestion for a future podcast idea.  Here's the link to submit a request:

👇

Submit a request – TCM Help Center (zendesk.com)

They better hurry up if they want to interview Mel Brooks though.  He's 95!

Thanks for posting that request email link!   I politely requested that they not show podcast promos quite so often.  Right now it's every break and often twice per break.  I'm forced to mute all breaks now and afraid if they do the same for Lucy I will end up hating her.

• Like 1

Thanks Peebs buddy.  I’ll see if I could send that request in a little bit.  Have you finished season 2 yet?  Have you read Julie Salavan’s book The Devil’s Candy and The Bonfire Of The Vanities book and seen the The Bonfire Of The Vanities movie and are you excited for season three all about Lucille Ball this fall?  Sorry if I misspelled Julie’s last name.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

Thanks Peebs buddy.  I’ll see if I could send that request in a little bit.  Have you finished season 2 yet?  Have you read Julie Salavan’s book The Devil’s Candy and The Bonfire Of The Vanities book and seen the The Bonfire Of The Vanities movie and are you excited for season three all about Lucille Ball this fall?  Sorry if I misspelled Julie’s last name.

Hi David. Yep, I finished season 2. Personally, I preferred season 1.  I think that the material could have been condensed into fewer episodes.  I haven't read The Devil's Candy and probably won't.  Be sure to post if you do and what you think of the book.  I saw The Bonfires of the Vanities when it aired recently on TCM.  

I'm not much of Lucy fan but I suspect that it could be an interesting season  because of her long career.  It couldn't hurt to make a suggestion to TCM about your podcast idea.  You never know!