Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Classic Film Festival 2021 Comments


Recommended Posts

The similar topic posted by the moderator is closed for comments, so here's another thread we can add comments to.

For my first contribution, I made a list of the titles that have been added to HBO Max for the festival, according to the web page:

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/on-hbomax/

Here are the Festival titles on HBO Max in alphabetical order:

All the President's Men (1976)
America America (1963)
Antwone Fisher (2002)
Ball of Fire (1941)
Best Years of Our Lives, The (1946)
Black Legion (1937)
Black Narcissus (1947)
Bless Their Little Hearts (1983)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
Bullitt (1968)
Chain Lightning (1950)
Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)
Clifford (1994)
Color Purple, The (1985)
Daughters of the Dust (1991)
Decline of Western Civilization, The (1981)
Dogfight (1991)
Four Troublesome Heads, The (1898)
Getaway, The (1972)
Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)
Goodfellas (1990)
Grand Canyon (1991)
Harlan County, U.S.A. (1976)
His Girl Friday (1940)
Hunger (2008)
Impossible Voyage, The (1904)
Infernal Cauldren, The (1903)
Innerspace (1987)
It's Always Fair Weather (1955)
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The (1943)
Love Story (1970)
Maltese Falcon, The (1941)
Misery (1990)
Mortal Storm, The (1940)
Mystery of Méliès, The (2021)
Naked City, The (1948)
Namesake, The (2006)
North by Northwest (1959)
Old Hag, The (1906)
Once (2007)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Red Shoes, The (1948)
Scarecrow (1973)
Searchers, The (1956)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
So This is Paris (1926)
Speedy (1928)
Star is Born, A (1954)
Stranger Than Paradise (1984)
T-Men (1947)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949)
Taking of Pelham One Two Three, The (1974)
Thin Man, The (1934)
To Sleep with Anger (1990)
Top Hat (1935)
Trip to the Moon, A (1902)
Victim (1961)
West Side Story (1961)

Many if not all of these titles may go away on HBO Max once the festival is over.  My understanding is that for now, all of these titles include the ability to watch the film along with some associated special features through the end of this weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In her introduction this morning, Alicia mentioned that this was the premiere showing on TCM of the restored version of Annie Get Your Gun (1950), and it looks fantastic.  This likely corresponds to the recent release of the Warner Archive Collection blu-ray on April 20 of this year.  If you missed it and are interested it might show up on WatchTCM later today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

In her introduction this morning, Alicia mentioned that this was the premiere showing on TCM of the restored version of Annie Get Your Gun (1950), and it looks fantastic.  This likely corresponds to the recent release of the Warner Archive Collection blu-ray on April 20 of this year.  If you missed it and are interested it might show up on WatchTCM later today.

It wasn't available on Youtube TV live, due to streaming rights restrictions, so if it does show up on Watch TCM, I'd be interested to understand that. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

It wasn't available on Youtube TV live, due to streaming rights restrictions, so if it does show up on Watch TCM, I'd be interested to understand that. 

It appears that the film is not available on the WatchTCM West Coast live feed, so consistent with your comment the streaming rights must be locked down.  That's unfortunate.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anybody else see The Whistle at Eaton Falls? The restored version looked great, apparently done by Flicker Alley. It's a shame they didn't have anybody to introduce or talk about the film. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

Did anybody else see The Whistle at Eaton Falls? The restored version looked great, apparently done by Flicker Alley. It's a shame they didn't have anybody to introduce or talk about the film. 

The Flicker Alley restoration is really first rate.  Agree that it would be nice if TCM can give it the introduction it deserves.  I see where this one is now available on WatchTCM for those who want to check it out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

The Flicker Alley restoration is really first rate.  Agree that it would be nice if TCM can give it the introduction it deserves.  I see where this one is now available on WatchTCM for those who want to check it out.

I DVRed it to watch later.  I've never seen it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I so much enjoyed the Guest Programmer 2008 Alex Trebek introduction to Wuthering Heights, complete with photographs of his trip to Haworth and the moors where he picked heather - as I did exactly on my own first trip to England! But I missed Alex's end comments which he referenced in his opening; it's a shame they didn't use them.  Is there anywhere I can see the Alex's complete guest programmer comments from 2008? I have found some guest programmer comments online, but none earlier than 2013. Thanks for any help.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RainbowGlow said:

I so much enjoyed the Guest Programmer 2008 Alex Trebek introduction to Wuthering Heights, complete with photographs of his trip to Haworth and the moors where he picked heather - as I did exactly on my own first trip to England! But I missed Alex's end comments which he referenced in his opening; it's a shame they didn't use them.  Is there anywhere I can see the Alex's complete guest programmer comments from 2008? I have found some guest programmer comments online, but none earlier than 2013. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for posting the comments about the Wuthering Heights intro - I went and watched it on WatchTCM based on your description.  Also sorry that they didn't include the Alex Trebek wrap-up.  I suspect it is not likely that we will ever get to see that portion again, but you never say never.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that the "Méliès Mystery" section of the Film Festival with the documentary and associated shorts including A Trip to the Moon, etc. has already been removed from HBO Max.  It's disappointing that all of the special content may not be available through the end of the weekend.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SueSueApplegate said:

The Melies Mystery is still accessible on HBO Max and should be through at least the end of the festival.

Thanks.  For some reason it is not being shown for me any more in the main TCM section, but I was able to find it with the text search function.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a wrap-up comment on this topic, I would like to thank TCM for presenting the virtual film festival.  They clearly put a great deal of effort into it, with all of the celebrity interviews, the special introductions, the introductions from the archives, the film premieres, the restored film premieres, and all of the supplementary extras.  The amount of material presented was almost overwhelming if you wanted to try to catch it all, which is what I suppose a real film festival is like.

Assuming in-person events go back to some kind of normal next year, we probably won’t see this kind of festival on the channel again, as TCM will likely go back to a real film festival that only the attendees will be able to appreciate.  I can understand how TCM puts so much work into the festival itself and won’t be as interested in enhancing what is shown on the channel.  But after seeing what they did this year it will be sad to not have another virtual film festival for everyone to enjoy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...