Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is There Any Film You've Seen More Times Than Any Other?

And, if so, what would it be? Would you happen to know how many times you've seen it, or, at least, make an approximate guess.

In my case, I could only boil it down to a handful of films and, as for the number, I only wish I knew. I sometimes have wondered if I may have seen some particular favourites of mine as many as 100 times or more over the years. I honestly don't know since I never documented it.

Another question, and this in complete contrast to the thread title question. Rather than frequently watch a certain film, do you, instead, have favourite films that you put off viewing for a period of time because you're afraid that overexposure to them may spoil their enjoyment for you? I fall into this category probably more so now since I've already seen so many of my favourites dozens of times, maybe more.

For example, I watched CASABLANCA for the first time in over a decade two years ago and I adored it. Far from being disappointed by the film, I was thrilled that this brilliant exercise in film craftsmanship held up so well for me. I had been concerned that I might not enjoy the film so well since I recalled it very well (even after over a decade), particularly with the assistance of a few zillion clips it seems I've seen of the film in various TCM promos or documentaries.

This year I had a similar experience with THE THIRD MAN after having deliberately avoided watching the film for a number of years.

So anyone else avoid seeing favourites for a period of time, too, for fear of overexposure to them? And how about those films, by contrast, that you've seen, 20, 50, 100 times or more?

Casablanca at 75: fascinating facts about one of the most famous films of  all time | CBC Radio

"I haven't seen you for over a decade, kid, but I think this is the continuation of a beautiful friendship."

• Like 4
  • TomJH changed the title to Is There Any Film You've Seen More Times Than Any Other?

Had to think about responding on this one - too complicated.  First, have to exclude Christmas movies as we watch several each year.

There are movies I used to watch (DVD's) every few months for a while, but then got "burned out" on them.  So, have not watched them in a while.

I do tend to watch some of The Falcon, Nancy Drew, Hildegarde Withers and a few similar more often as they are about 60 minutes long.   Same with The Big Steal, which I probably watch more than any other.

As for any film I have watched more than any other, it would be a tie between The Big Steal and Silver Streak (1976).  Assuming your question wants one film above all others.

• Like 1

Since Sean Connery died, I have played The Russia House (1990) every night.  Got hooked on the score and play the movie in the background while I play Solitaire to settle down for the night.  😆

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I do tend to watch some of The Falcon, Nancy Drew, Hildegarde Withers and a few similar more often as they are about 60 minutes long.   Same with The Big Steal, which I probably watch more than any other.

Yeh, I thought of that, too, when it came to frequency of viewing. I'm fond of a number of screen epics but don't tend to watch them that often because of their length. Any film that runs over two hours is a major investment of time, as far as I'm concerned. For the reason of length, rather than quality, no epic will ever make it on my most frequently watched list.

On the other hand, a favourite, like Bob Hope's THE GHOST BREAKERS, which runs about 85 minutes, I've probably seen 60, 70 times, as a guess.

• Like 2

I've kept a film diary since I was 12 so I can tell you exactly what my top ones are.  I've seen roughly 600 films, three times or more.

A Christmas Carol (1951)  28 times

The  Great Escape  (1963) 19 times

Dr. Strangelove (1964) 18 times

The Wizard of Oz (The) (1939) 15 times

Casablanca (1942)  12 times

A Clockwork Orange (1971)  12 times

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)  12 times

Bedazzled (1967) 11 times

A Night at the Opera (1935) 11 times

Paths of Glory (1957) 11 times

Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) 11 times

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (1948) 10 times

Bananas (1971) 10 times

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966) 10 times

Last Tango In Paris (1972) 10 times

Lolita (1962) 10 times

The  Magnificent Seven (1960) 10 times

Play It Again, Sam (1972) 10 times

Touch of Evil (1958) 10 times

.. I'll stop there!

• Like 9
12 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I've kept a film diary since I was 12 so I can tell you exactly what my top ones are.  I've seen roughly 600 films, three times or more.

A Christmas Carol (1951)  28 times

I'd be fascinated by my own diary numbers, I suspect, if I'd kept one. The other day, as I was viewing The Mark of Zorro (1940), which I first saw as a kid on TV, I seriously wondered how many times I had enjoyed that swashbuckler over the years. I strongly suspect it's more than 28. Well, I suspect you're one of the few to actually know from documented evidence  (and not just guess) which film you've seen more often than any other, Bogie.

• Like 1

Unlike  ElCid up there, I'd say Christmas movies do indeed count as the question was "Is there any film...."   And as we all don't like the same Christmas movies, there would be some who've viewed a certain one more than other people have.  And with all that in mind I'd have to say I've probably seen  A CHRISTMAS CAROL ('51)  more than any other, and indeed probably more than BOGEY.   Having first seen it as an "after the parade"  broadcast on Thanksgiving day '67 by a local TV station,  and each year after  for  five more years, and then eventually, when home video and VHS tape purchases were upon us, I watched it twice a year since 1982(you do the math).  

I'd say 2nd on that list is THE WIZARD OF OZ.   And too, due to the advent of home video.

And.....   A MOVIE DIARY??  Y'know, at 12 my mind and interests, what with an increasing hormone level, were obviously elsewhere!  ;) 

Sepiatone 

The Long Long Trailer.  I've probably seen this film at least a hundred times (not exaggerating) since I discovered it in the mid-90s when I was in middle school.  

Other films that I've seen a lot, but don't have an official tally, but it's more than a dozen: 

The Wizard of Oz

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Mildred Pierce

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Gentleman Jim

Picnic

Gidget

Gidget Goes Hawaiian

Viva Las Vegas

Meet Me in St. Louis

Casablanca

Summer Rental

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (My family's annual Thanksgiving film)

Clue

Clueless

Double Indemnity

The Maltese Falcon

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

A Girl, A Guy and A Gob

Gilda

The Palm Beach Story

Grumpy Old Men & Grumpier Old Men

The Thin Man

My fave Christmas movies:

Never Say Goodbye

A Christmas Story

White Christmas

Remember the Night

A Charlie Brown Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

I don't avoid watching movies I've seen dozens of times.  If I'm in the mood for that particular film, I'll watch it again.  I don't get burned out on my favorites.  I've watched the same movie back to back before.  Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch a "new" film and sometimes, watching Gidget for the umpteenth time is the only thing that will do.  My fallback favorite films are comforting. 

• Like 5

I think people generally overestimate the total number of times that they have viewed a film from start to finish.

If left to memory I would have said that I had seen A Christmas Carol (1951) at least 50 times, Casablanca about 20 times, etc..

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

I think people generally overestimate the total number of times that they have viewed a film from start to finish.

If you're referring to the 200 times I've seen The Adventures of Robin Hood, you may have a point.

• Haha 2

I don't have any exact numbers like Bogie56 does, but I've seen all of these at least 5 times, some many more:

1. Dracula (1931)
  2. Frankenstein (1931)
  3. Dr. Strangelove
  4. The Shining
  5. Goodfellas
  6. Taxi Driver
  7. Apocalypse Now
  8. Halloween (1978)
  9. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  10. Evil Dead 2
  11. Robocop (1987)
  12. Predator
  13. The Terminator
  14. Star Wars
  15. Big Trouble in Little China
  16. The Thing (1982)
  17. Airplane!
  18. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  19. Raising Arizona
  20. Blade Runner
  21. Alien
  22. Aliens
  23. Videodrome
  24. Forbidden Planet
  25. Dr. No
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't have any exact numbers like Bogie56 does, but I've seen all of these at least 5 times, some many more:

Good to see you back with one of your lists, Lawrence. Like myself and zillions of others, I see you love your escapist films.

The Big Sleep (Bogie \ Bacall 1946).        I have seen this in a revival theater  3 times,  and on T.V.  at least 20 (start to end).

Nowadays I'll just watch the beginning.

Crazy Days and Nights: Martha Vickers' Daughter Is A Little Upset With Me

• Like 3

I can't say how many times I've seen these films but it's a lot, these are in no particular order, love them all but I may be forgetting some. I have tapes of these. plus I've seen so many of them  when I was kid lots of times. To answer your question, yes sometimes I skip watching when they show up on TCM, 

1. Random Harvest

2. Laura

3. Casablanca

4. The Razor's Edge ( Tyrone version of course)

5. The World of Henry Orient

6. Miracle On 34th Street ( Edmund Gwenn version)

7. White Christmas

8.. Wizard of Oz

9.   Mildred Pierce

10.. Imitation of Life

11. Green Dolphin Street

12. Gidget

13   Double Indemnity

14.. The Trouble With Angels

15. Sitting Pretty

16. Thin Man Movies

17. Goldfinger

18. Godfather 1 and 2

19. Goodfellas

20. The Magnificent Seven

21. The Thomas Crown Affair ( Steve McQueen version)

22. The Adventures of Robin Hood

23. The Big Country

24. There's No Business Like Show Business

25. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

26. Some Like It Hot

27. Ocean's Eleven ( Frank version)

28. Elmer Gantry

29. The Band Wagon

30. Singin In The Rain

31. The Day The Earth Stood Still ( Michael Rennie version)

32. Invasion of The Body Snatchers ( Kevin McCarthy version)

33. Pillow Talk, but I'll watch a Doris movie whenever one shows up on TCM

34. Can't forget Hitchcock, probably seen Rear Window,The Birds, NBNW, Vertigo, The Man Who Knew Too Much ( J Stewart version) Rebecca, a ton of times

35. From Here To Eternity

• Like 5

Oh, boy, surely I've seen Star Wars at least 50 times. On TCM, I usually seem to catch most or all the airings of Casablanca, which usually gets a big fat primetime slot. I'll bet I've seen it at least 30 times.

A rough estimate to follow, and from the most watched to lesser watched:

It's a Wonderful Life (maybe 40 times...gotta watch George's little epiphany unfold every year, or it just isn't Christmas, ya know)

Singin' in the Rain (maybe 30 times...and besides, yes, Donald O'Connor always succeeds in making me laugh during his solo dance sequence...among so many other parts of this classic)

The Best Years of Our Lives (maybe 25 times...this one is my favorite flick of all time, ya know)

Casablanca (maybe 20 times...shweetheart)

The Apartment (maybe 15 times...where else are ya gonna learn, and so entertainingly, that brown-nosing your way to the top isn't all it's made out to be)

The Music Man (maybe 15 times...the best and most fun way to celebrate our country's independence from those superfluous-u spellers...although of course, one can still not spell the word "trouble" correctly and as what was found in River City, without that 'u' in it)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Thanks for reminding me Dargo. It's A Wonderful Life ( been watching this one forever it seems), The Best Years of Our Lives ( Dana Andrews best performance I think and truly a favorite) and yes The Apartment too! add to my list

• Like 1

Btw, I should have added:

A Night at the Opera (maybe 25 times)

and

Duck Soup (maybe 25 times)

too. 

• Like 2

Thought of a few more:

• The Magnificent Seven
  • The Great Escape
  • Spartacus
  • The Wolf Man
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • From Russia With Love
  • Goldfinger
  • The Kentucky Fried Movie
  • Brazil
  • This Is Spinal Tap
  • Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
  • Prince of Darkness
  • The Road Warrior
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Caddyshack

• Like 4

What a thought-provoking topic, good job Tom!

The classic films that I have probably seen the most, and both in movie theaters and on TV:

DR STRANGELOVE at least 20x

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960) 30x

THE BIG SLEEP (1946) at least 40x. One day I must count how many times the word "sister" is uttered in this movie... I'm guessing about 132 times

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN at least 40x

THE MALTESE FALCON 50x

GENTLEMAN JIM 30x

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES 50x

BLUES BUSTERS 20x

SINGIN IN THE RAIN 20x

There are certain films that I try to hold back on seeing too much. CASABLANCA, I try to see just once a year. Which is difficult because TCM seems to show it just about every month!

Certain classic films that are depressing, I also limit to once or twice a year...OF MICE AND MEN, THE DEFIANT ONES....

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

The Apartment (maybe 15 times...where else are ya gonna learn, and so entertainingly, that brown-nosing your way to the top isn't all it's made out to be)

Oh, NOW you tell me!

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

CASABLANCA, I try to see just once a year. Which is difficult because TCM seems to show it just about every month!

TCM does not show it that often. Some have actually complained it's NEVER broadcast on TCM.

I don't think I've seen any movie 50+ times unless first seeing it as a teen & still watching. That would include:

THE WIZARD OF OZ

THE GHOST & MR CHICKEN

PSYCHO

SOME LIKE IT HOT

SON OF PALEFACE

MARX BROTHERS

I've seen many 30+ times, but watch them rarely now:

SINGIN IN THE RAIN

PAPER MOON

BEDAZZLED

ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD

THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT

ANGEL ON MY SHOULDER

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (I sense a theme here)

And then there's the ones I've seen 30+ times as an adult, only drawn to seeing them yet again when they're shown on the big screen:

CITIZEN KANE

ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE

2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY

METROPOLIS

ANNIE HALL

• Like 3