Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is There Any Film You've Seen More Times Than Any Other?

I usually leave out The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life as they are or used to be on TV

every year so it's easy to rack up the numbers. I don't think I've ever seen any movie more than

a dozen times or so, certainly not 30 or 40 times. I've seen these at least 7 or 8 times, some

maybe a dozen or so.

Citizen Kane

The Magnificent Ambersons

The Maltese Falcon

Red River

Psycho

Rear Window

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

12 Angry Men

The Bank Dick

The Thing (OV)

The Third Man

Fox and His Friends

This Is Spinal Tap (11 times)

Orpheus

The Apartment

Dr. Strangelove

• Like 1

Caddyshack. About a million times. I watched it nearly everyday until the VHS tape was distorted at the top of the screen. Then I bought a new copy. My 24 year old daughter and I can battle out the lines all night long. We can clear a room faster than an angry skunk.

5 hours ago, TomJH said:

I watched that film again just this week. Lord knows how many times I've seen it but I read the Davis Grubb novel when I was a kid because of the film so my viewings started many decades ago. Every now and then it is necessary for me to go back and re-visit Laughton's dark fairy tale. It's still a unique film in so many ways, challenging to classify. The noir crowd claims it, of course, and I can see their point. But how many noirs have a Mother Goose figure in them, along with the Big Bad Wolf? A great film, even if I find the final third of it frustrating. And Mitchum, what a performance! But there isn't enough to be said for Stanley Cortez's photography or the music of Walter Schumann, as well. Somewhere I heard Mitchum call Charles Laughton the greatest director he ever had.

Haunting GIF from The Night of the Hunter (1955) : thalassophobia

Since I remember thrilling to THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER in the 1960s in one of its many broadcasts, I was under 10, the count must be off.  I own it on VHS and now DVD and usually end up with it on if it's being broadcast... Perhaps I've seen it 40 or 50 times...?  I also think of it as a very special American film.  Not at all typical, with a strange homage-full  cinematic directness, a noir skewering, and biblical homily cozy warm tender ending.  The film is a parable in multiple ways. 

Ohh.. BOY,..

_

Well..

Its More Like .. ... What Films ive Seen A Heap Ton..

theSearchers (noclue.. ..but aLOT.. lol

Lilies of the Field (Many Mny x,s

The HoneyMoon Machine (whenever i need a Doozey Belly Laugh..

The Defiant Ones (Several

Shoes of the Fisherman ( Multiple

Wndrfl Wrld of the Brthrs Grimm.             ( ..More.. ...than im comfortable with divulging. Lol

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (See Above..lol

Genevieve *sp (Reams, & PROUD.. ofIt ..

Sherlock Jr and theGeneral (ive lost track

A Very Long Engagement (Probably Upwards of +13 (times. Lol) and counting

Logan ( +MNY x's

Snowpiercer ( ihave NO clue.. but Quite a Few

Cloud Atlas ( ++REAMS ..

Blade Runner 2049 ( ^Ditto

the Return of the Jedi ( .. . .....TONS.. ...For Whatever Reason this is a Christmas Feature of Mine..

Spaceballs (😬

. .. ... .,

The-Rocky-Horror-Picture-Show.jpg

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

Of course since I've seen this since it's first run and then started going to midnight showings in the 80's, this one easily reaches 100+ viewings. I recently watched it again on DVD and am always amazed how much I love it.

Oh, reminded by the posting of HAROLD & MAUDE. That one I must have seen over 30 times.

• Like 1

I was a big TV Western (and older Hollywood  Westerns that were broadcast on TV) fan in the late 50s and early 60s , and I  saw How The West Was Won in a Cinerama Theater on Times Square and  later Nevada Smith.  One rainy weekend while looking through the Long Island Star newspaper at the theater listings I saw an ad for For A Few Dollars More with a cool looking gunslinger featured.  My cousin Paul went to see it and were blown away.  Even I as a kid knew that this film would never play on broadcast TV back then without being censored. I didn't even recognize  that one of the stars of one of my favorites Rawhide was the cool looking cigar smoking gunfighter with the scruffy beard (Clint Eastwood) who played a slightly goofy second banana on Rawhide, lol. 

Over the next few years,  (going to school near Times Square and all it's theaters), I caught all of Sergio Leone's Westerns and other Spaghetti Westerns multiple times on the big screens of Times Square, and since I own them all now  on DVD so I've easily seen them all 30+ times

• Like 2

I have only started watching classic movies about 16 months ago, since retiring. In prior years the main thing I would watch is sports. However, since it is now a hobby, the movies I will watch multiple times are:

Fiddler on the Roof

Lawrence of Arabia

Mrs. Mininver

Goodbye Mr. Chips

The Searchers

Casablanca

The thee movies I am most apt to watch the most are Lawrence of Arabia,  Casablanca and Fiddler on the Roof.

• Like 3

I have a sneaking suspicion that, even if it is not on movie fans' repeat lists, this may be the most viewed film of all time.

The Wizard of Oz in 3 animated GIFs: Our latest Classic Cinema in 3 GIFs.

• Like 1

I saw the thread and quickly thought of about five films I've seen more than ten times -- now that you've all reminded me, I have about twenty in mind.

Stella Dallas

Now Voyager

The Letter

A Letter to Three Wives

Jane Eyre (all versions)

Mildred Pierce

Double Indemnity

The Wizard of Oz

The Music Man

Easter Parade

My Fair Lady

Marnie

Fargo

Raising Arizona

Howards End

Remains of the Day

Far From Heaven

Heaven Can Wait

This is not the same as my favorites list.  Some of my favorites, like, The Last Picture Show, kind of make me sad (not Stella Dallas's ending sad, but depressed sad) and while I kind of enjoyed that when I was young, now I don't.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

This is not the same as my favorites list.  Some of my favorites, like, The Last Picture Show, kind of make me sad (not Stella Dallas's ending sad, but depressed sad) and while I kind of enjoyed that when I was young, now I don't.

Interesting. That could lead to a different thread, with  title like Favourite Films That You Don't Watch Often.

There may also be films that posters don't watch because they associate that particular film with some kind of painful experience in their lives. But that would be too depressing a topic for some, I'm sure, to explain the reason why.

I think that listing films you watch a lot is a far more fun topic.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that, even if it is not on movie fans' repeat lists, this may be the most viewed film of all time.

The Wizard of Oz in 3 animated GIFs: Our latest Classic Cinema in 3 GIFs.

Certainly true for those of us that grew up from the 50s to the 80s, since it was really the only movie shown every year, and it was quite a television event for some time. 

After home video became affordable for most, I suspect there are so many other answers, because younger kids tend to want to watch the same few videos over and over again.  For my niece, though, it happened to be the movie shown above.  She'd watch it every day after school, and never seemed to get tired of it.  It's still her favorite today, and she's in her early 40s now.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, wbogacz said:

My plan is to die knowing I have seen and tried to find all remaining renditions of "A Christmas Carol"

Haha me too! Every year I watch or read a new one. So far the only ones I've put off are the Hallmark ones. A friend who is a professional costumer in Hollywood dressed the Muppets for their version!

1 hour ago, Stallion said:

The thee movies I am most apt to watch the most are Lawrence of Arabia,  Casablanca and Fiddler on the Roof.

Good to hear-Fiddler On the Roof is one of those legendary titles I haven't seen yet. Hoping my first viewing is in a theater & not convalescing in bed which is how I usually come to watch overlong films.

2 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Certainly true for those of us that grew up from the 50s to the 80s, since it was really the only movie shown every year, and it was quite a television event for some time. 

After home video became affordable for most, I suspect there are so many other answers, because younger kids tend to want to watch the same few videos over and over again.  For my niece, though, it happened to be the movie shown above.  She'd watch it every day after school, and never seemed to get tired of it.  It's still her favorite today, and she's in her early 40s now.

I watched Oz a couple of year ago and marvelled at what a perfect film it is in so many ways. Seriously, I don't think the film has any real flaws. I realize that the Star Wars generation and beyond will have their own favourites for repeat viewings. Still, with home television broadcasts, and video tape, DVD and blu ray releases that can be played endlessly, I suspect that Oz has been viewed enough times to compete with more recent film hits. It's a film that will appeal to both kids and adults, an important criterion for repeat viewings.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Millenniumman said:

The big sleep over 50 times.

Hmmm, good! Sounds as if you might know then, Millenniumman!

Can you explain....

(...oh, never mind...nobody really can, huh) ;)

LOL

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Can you explain....

LOL

Y'know, you kinda disappointed me DARG.   Given the title of this thread, you missed a perfect opportunity to quip:

"Since I started watching TCM regularly, I'd have to say the movie I've seen more than any other is  (wait for it!)

NORTH BY NORTHWEST!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Indeed, looking at certain "classic" TV specials, like RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED REINDEER or MERRY CHRISTMAS CHARLIE BROWN or THE HOMECOMING might count into the 40s or 50s... ! 

I wouldn't count TV "specials" as movies as most were only 1/2 to an hour long at best.  

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I wouldn't count TV "specials" as movies as most were only 1/2 to an hour long at best.  

Sepiatone

That's what I get for agreeing with you! 

And THE HOMECOMING is two hours starring PATRICIA NEAL which I consider a "movie" even if it was made for TV. 

Uncle Charlie, those are geat choices.

What is it about the original BRIAN'S SONG, that is so successful and enduring? I saw it recently and I chuckled at the generic furniture and workout equipment in the Sayers and Piccolo homes. James Caan and Billy Dee Williams did not have physiques resembling NFL players. The look of the film is like an episode of The Brady Bunch.  But the movie grips me from beginning to end. I was on my knees with millions of others, throughout the years....

" I love Brian Piccolo, and I’d like all of you to love him, too. Tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him too.”

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Can you explain....

LOL

The Big Sleep (1946) - Turner Classic Movies

"Actually, shweetheart, it's pretty easy to figure out. You see Sean Regan got shot by Eddie Mars' goons . . . no, no, Eddie Mars was blackmailing Carmen but he . . . well, for sure Little Jonesy and General Sterling had an "unusual" friendship till the butler caught them at it one day and then . . . Aw, nuts, baby. Let's go in the back room and make out."

• Haha 2
35 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

Uncle Charlie, those are geat choices.

What is it about the original BRIAN'S SONG, that is so successful and enduring? I saw it recently and I chuckled at the generic furniture and workout equipment in the Sayers and Piccolo homes.

The "generic" furniture was more realistic for the era.  NFLers were middle class to upper middle class in terms of salaries, while they were in the league, at least.  NFL football players made an average of around $23,000 in 1970, which is equivalent to about $150,000 today.  It was not uncommon for players to have separate off-season jobs back then, to either supplement their incomes, or to prepare for a future career, as the shelf life of most NFL players is incredibly short. 

The big payouts for football would come years later.  Today's average salary  is about $860,000 (nearly 6X 1970's average), so you can see that the union has successfully negotiated significantly higher salaries for their players.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

The look of the film is like an episode of The Brady Bunch.  

This is probably because it was a TV movie produced by Screen Gems Television (a subsidiary of Columbia), which made a bunch of sitcoms in the 60s.  Some of the sets used in the movie were (slightly) redressed sets from the Stephens' living room from Bewitched.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Y'know, you kinda disappointed me DARG.   Given the title of this thread, you missed a perfect opportunity to quip:

"Since I started watching TCM regularly, I'd have to say the movie I've seen more than any other is  (wait for it!)

NORTH BY NORTHWEST!  :D 

Sepiatone

Well actually here Sepia, I must in turn say that I TOO am kind'a disapponted and even frankly a bit hurt here, ol' buddy!

You see, after all this time I would've expected you to have noticed the great spirit of generosity which I've always exhibited around here!

SURE, I thought of this one earlier.

(...but I didn't post anything like that because I had decided to leave THIS old TCM message board chestnut for YOU to post!!!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1