Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is There Any Film You've Seen More Times Than Any Other?

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

This is probably because it was a TV movie produced by Screen Gems Television (a subsidiary of Columbia), which made a bunch of sitcoms in the 60s.  Some of the sets used in the movie were (slightly) redressed sets from the Stephens' living room from Bewitched.

Yes! The Sayer's house was the Stephen's house!

On 5/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Vautrin said:

I usually leave out The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life as they are or used to be on TV

every year so it's easy to rack up the numbers. I don't think I've ever seen any movie more than

a dozen times or so, certainly not 30 or 40 times. I've seen these at least 7 or 8 times, some

maybe a dozen or so.

Citizen Kane

The Magnificent Ambersons

The Maltese Falcon

Red River

Psycho

Rear Window

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

12 Angry Men

The Bank Dick

The Thing (OV)

The Third Man

Fox and His Friends

This Is Spinal Tap (11 times)

Orpheus

The Apartment

Dr. Strangelove

I see what you did there

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Well actually here Sepia, I must in turn say that I TOO am kind'a disapponted and even frankly a bit hurt here, ol' buddy!

You see, after all this time I would've expected you to have noticed the great spirit of generosity which I've always exhibited around here!

SURE, I thought of this one earlier.

(...but I didn't post anything like that because I had decided to leave THIS old TCM message board chestnut for YOU to post!!!) ;)

LOL

I think he just did. 😄

4 hours ago, uncle charlie said:

I see what you did there

Yeah, I couldn't help myself. I've seen Shadow of a Doubt a number of times too. Probably half a

dozen or so.

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Certainly true for those of us that grew up from the 50s to the 80s, since it was really the only movie shown every year, and it was quite a television event for some time. 

After home video became affordable for most, I suspect there are so many other answers, because younger kids tend to want to watch the same few videos over and over again.  For my niece, though, it happened to be the movie shown above.  She'd watch it every day after school, and never seemed to get tired of it.  It's still her favorite today, and she's in her early 40s now.

Fortunately, for my son who is now 31, I tried to expose him to a lot of old tv shows and some classic movies(Adventures of Robin Hood, Sands of Iwo Jima, etc.) so at his age now he can say he saw Robin Hood 20 times. On a side note, I think Sands of Iwo Jima, and possibly Gomer Pyle(haha) led him to join the Marines when he became an adult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

That's what I get for agreeing with you! 

And THE HOMECOMING is two hours starring PATRICIA NEAL which I consider a "movie" even if it was made for TV. 

True enough.  Should have just singled THAT one out.  ;) 

Sepiatone

While watching Heartbreakers last night, I thought about films I've seen at least 5 times that were filmed from the 1980's to 2000's

1.  Patriot Games

2.  Heartbreakers

3.. Forrest Gump

4. Tootsie

5.  Steel Magnolias 

6.  Mean Girls 

7.  Clueless

8.  Home Alone 1 &2

9.  Working Girl

10. After Hours

11. Dirty Dancing

12.  Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

• Like 1

•  

I love those Mummy sequels, although I still think one of the greatest tragedies is the death-by-Mummy of Tante Berthe, played by Ann Codee in The Mummy's Curse. And after she opened the film so well with that rousing song!

Swithin, the passing of Tante Berthe was indeed a great tragedy, especially felt by her peers in the restaurant community. It is unfortunate that she was not with us for the Cajun cuisine revival led by Paul Prudhomme, Emeril Lagasse and others.

Tante Berthe's Cafe looks like it was a fun place! 

Do you have any idea what accent is being portrayed by Kurt Katch in this movie? I like him but he is hard to follow...

• Like 1

I could fill the list with with Woody Allen, Bob Fosse, and Alfred Hitchcock movies, like Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and her Sisters, Cabaret, Lenny, All That Jazz, Rebecca,  North by Northwest, The Birds. I've also seen other movies several times, like Chinatown, Dog Day Afternoon, 3 Women, Alien.

Movies more on the classic era, I would mention Sunrise, The Crowd, Dodsworth, The Awful Truth, The Lady Eve, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Christmas in Connecticut, All About Eve.

• Like 1

Thanks Arsan for reminding me.Already posted a list of classic era films but forgot Christmas in Connecticut. Another one I've been watching since childhood. Must have seen this one at least 30 times over the years and I still love it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Arsan for reminding me.Already posted a list of classic era films but forgot Christmas in Connecticut. Another one I've been watching since childhood. Must have seen this one at least 30 times over the years and I still love it.

I find that the films I saw in childhood that I think hold up well are the ones that give me many of my fondest move watching feelings.

Of course, I've seen a great many other films since then that I admire, as well. But in many instances it's the film favourites I first saw as a kid on TV that seem to hold a special place in my heart. They are like comfort food.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I find that the films I saw in childhood that I think hold up well are the ones that give me many of my fondest move watching feelings.

Of course, I've seen a great many other films since then that I admire, as well. But in many instances it's the film favourites I first saw as a kid on TV that seem to hold a special place in my heart. They are like comfort food.

That is a wonderful post Tom and so true. Without being gushy, very touching and very meaningful ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For some strange, deranged reason I saw a couple of B-movies trillions of times:

1. Teenagers From Outer Space (usually on MST3K Channel on Pluto TV)
  2. Bucket of Blood ( a dark comedy from Roger Corman)

But aside from those, it would be Hitchcock films such as Vertigo, Frenzy, NxNW, etc. and Vivien Leigh movies (Waterloo Bridge, That Hamilton Woman, Anna Karenina especially...)

1 hour ago, Phil Packer said:

For some strange, deranged reason I saw a couple of B-movies trillions of times:

1. Teenagers From Outer Space (usually on MST3K Channel on Pluto TV)
  2. Bucket of Blood ( a dark comedy from Roger Corman)

But aside from those, it would be Hitchcock films such as Vertigo, Frenzy, NxNW, etc. and Vivien Leigh movies (Waterloo Bridge, That Hamilton Woman, Anna Karenina especially...)

Really, Phil?

And here I would've bet you might have watched The Great Race or maybe Gypsy or maybe even Splendor in the Grass more times than those?!!!

And personally, I wouldn't blame ya one little bit!

(...or in other words...I think the pic that you're usin' for your avatar is great)  ;) 

• Haha 1

Definitely THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Between reconstructing film and assembling scores (for 8mm mag sound in the early 70's; betamax restoration in the 90's; 2020 digital restoration) I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen this picture.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

Definitely THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Between reconstructing film and assembling scores (for 8mm mag sound in the early 70's; betamax restoration in the 90's; 2020 digital restoration) I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen this picture.

That takes me back. I remember purchasing an 8mm copy of Phantom of the Opera in 8 reels when I was a kid. There was no soundtrack and I had a Bell and Howell projector by which I projected the film onto a bed sheet I attached to a wall. I still have those eight Phantom reels stuffed in a drawer, along with a number of 8mm 10 minute Castle Films film clips. This is what you did as a movie collector in the days long before video tape became available. I haven't looked at any of this stuff in decades now and need a posting like this to jog my memory that I still have that version of Phantom.

• Like 3

On April 4th, 2021 I saw "Gone With the Wind" for the 533rd time.

I've been journaling my viewings since the 70s, although I included my viewings of the 1968 releases, which I could still recall--because there were only a few.

I started the journals when I knew I was going down the rabbit hole.

• Like 2
On 5/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, Leighcat said:

On April 4th, 2021 I saw "Gone With the Wind" for the 533rd time.

I've been journaling my viewings since the 70s, although I included my viewings of the 1968 releases, which I could still recall--because there were only a few.

I started the journals when I knew I was going down the rabbit hole.

Don't you wanna strangle Prissy!

BTW. . Impressive count! That's comparable to my Caddyshack viewing record. 

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

vivien leigh's best film imo is That Hamilton Woman. her performance is so heartfelt.

Hard to argue that. A great film and a fave of mine from her as well.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:21 PM, Phil Packer said:

Hard to argue that. A great film and a fave of mine from her as well.

I think it is the film that is most reflective of who Vivien Leigh was in private and that sort of a reveal is hard for an actor to even try for. V L was, in real life, as Emma was depicted in the film: sophisticated, ultimately well-educated, multilingual and empathetic. She was passionate and easily moved.  Above all, she always tried to be kind. Her motto was "use all gently" from Hamlet.

But that also is telling as to how perfect she was in GWTW; Scarlett is a convincing performance from an actor who was not very like the role.  VL really had a heart and was sensitive, unlike Scarlett who pushed insight away as to not be vulnerable.

Vivien enjoyed working with Korda but thought That Hamilton Woman a false picture of the actual Emma Hamilton (who was by all accounts coarse). But, who minds? It's a terrific performance.