Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Like to have those indestructable clothes...

17 minutes ago, hamradio said:

...which last for 15 YEARS!.  On "Rescue From Gilligan's Island", noticed some still looks like new or dry pressed!

gilligans-island-facts-ftr-1000x600.jpg

People always think I'm nuts whenever I say this, but I STILL say if Marilyn Monroe had lived into her sixties, she would have looked just like Natalie Schafer does in this pic here.

• Haha 1

Oh, and btw here ham, this can't be a pic from "Rescue from Gilligan's Island" (1978), and because Tina Louise pictured above refused to reprise her role of Ginger and so was replaced by actress Judith Baldwin...

Judith++3.png

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

People always think I'm nuts whenever I say this, but I STILL say if Marilyn Monroe had lived into her sixties, she would have looked just like Natalie Schafer does in this pic here.

How Natalie Schafer looked at the age when Marilyn passed away

Vysol-1583873267-1968-quiz_question_imag

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I always though Ms. Schafer was a good looker when young and held up well into the Gilligan years.  

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

...which last for 15 YEARS!.  On "Rescue From Gilligan's Island", noticed some still looks like new or dry pressed!

gilligans-island-facts-ftr-1000x600.jpg

Probably dry pressed.  And likely by some device the professor made from coconut shells and bamboo.  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I always though Ms. Schafer was a good looker when young and held up well into the Gilligan years.  

Probably dry pressed.  And likely by some device the professor made from coconut shells and bamboo.  ;) 

Sepiatone

He did make the bicycle powered bamboo washing machine.  I'm impressed that it handled all of Ginger's bejeweled evening gowns. I'm also impressed that the Professor's shirt was always bright white and never had any stains. He must have invented some sort of bleach as well.

• Haha 1

it should be noted that natalie schafer's overall physical appearance was affected by an unfortunate health issue that required surgery but she kept it a secret not wanting undue attention or sympathy.

she is deserving of much respect and admiration as I see it.

Vysol-1583873267-1968-quiz_question_imag

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

indestructable is spelled indestructible.

:)

Uh-huh, but then again, the first letter in the first word of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized too!

;)

• Haha 1

I agree that Natalie Schafer was a beautiful woman bearing a strong resemblance to Marilyn Monroe. I remember seeing her as a young woman in a movie and gasping once recognizing her. Once a beautiful lady, always a beautiful lady.

As for keeping clothing looking good, I realize Gilligan's Island was a silly TV show bearing no resemblance to reality. But in all truth, you can keep your clothing looking like new if you hand wash and line dry them inside out. I definitely have 20 year old garments I still wear regularly....several 60+ year old garments, although not for everyday wear.

• Like 1

As I recall, the main cast had only one (or maybe two?) sets of clothes in early season, but their wardrobe seems to multiply the longer they stay on the island. Ginger has that one iconic illusion-flesh-tone gown at the beginning; "Film star Ginger Grant, still wearing her evening gown from the night before..." I believe we hear over the Honolulu radio when the loss of the Minnow is reported. Around season three she seems to be going through glamorous gowns like kleenex, all spotlessly clean, of course.

I agree that Natalie Schafer was beautiful in younger years, and still quite stylish and attractive in older years in a glamorous First Lady of the middle-later 20th Century sort of way. I can see the resemblance to Marilyn...never thought of it before, but good call.

At least in The Poseidon Adventure their clothes got dirty and worn throughout the night. My favorite thing about that one is how the platform heels never come off😂. Stella Stevens climbing up a smokestack in nothing but panties, a man's pink tuxedo shirt, and those silver disco shoes; Classic! Pamela Sue Martin's convertible hot-pants gown is also pretty awesome!

• Like 1