Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the extra footage in They Won't Believe Me (1947)?

A favorite of mine, mostly for Jane Greer and Susan Hayward.  Ben Mankiewicz mentioned extra footage.  So far I've only noticed the concert scene, which could be conveniently nipped out.  Not a big loss.

The concert scene is the only thing I'm sure about too.  I also don't think the original showed Greta's body. 

I liked how Eddie gave a shout out to George Feltenstein and how important he's been to film preservation over the years. AT&T fired him last year because old films don't make nearly the money that some soulless bright loud  violent  super hero movie will. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I also don't think the original showed Greta's body.

It was certainly a stark image for a movie of the time.  Eyes open, blood trickling.  I'll have to check my earlier recording to confirm.  Even so, it's just a second or two.

Maybe some scenes of him beach-wandering discontented, unable to enjoy his questionably-gotten gains, and some scenes of his reunion with Janice were also deleted.

1 minute ago, slaytonf said:

It was certainly a stark image for a movie of the time.  Eyes open, blood trickling.  I'll have to check my earlier recording to confirm.  Even so, it's just a second or two.

Maybe some scenes of him beach-wandering discontented, unable to enjoy his questionably-gotten gains, and some scenes of his reunion with Janice were also deleted.

I thought that in the short version they showed a body, but that Greta was face down.  Like you said, a stark image for its time, and I can see the censors saying no to it. 

11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

> Ben Mankiewicz mentioned extra footage.

Eddie Mueller live tweeted during the presentation highlighting the differences.

Specifics can be read by the dedicated with minimal effort at @EddieMuller, which @TCM retweeted, if you follow that account instead.

2 hours ago, wbogacz said:

Eddie Mueller live tweeted during the presentation highlighting the differences.

Specifics can be read by the dedicated with minimal effort at @EddieMuller, which @TCM retweeted, if you follow that account instead.

Ah, but that would require me to get a twitter account.  Seems I will have to live in ignorance.  Not a big deal, as watching the expanded movie, I got no more out of it than before.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Ah, but that would require me to get a twitter account.  Seems I will have to live in ignorance.  Not a big deal, as watching the expanded movie, I got no more out of it than before.

You don't need a Twitter account to see people's public tweets.  Just paste this into your web browser:

https://twitter.com/eddiemuller

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, mr6666.  Though it may be valuable to restore the cuts from a historical perspective, I don't see it making it a better movie. 

• Like 1

About the scene between Larry and the mortician - Larry says "How do I know you won't come back?" Did he originally think the mortician was somebody who had figured out his scheme and was blackmailing him?  That is what it seemed like anyways.

4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Thanks, mr6666.  Though it may be valuable to restore the cuts from a historical perspective, I don't see it making it a better movie. 

I do.

3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

About the scene between Larry and the mortician - Larry says "How do I know you won't come back?" Did he originally think the mortician was somebody who had figured out his scheme and was blackmailing him?  That is what it seemed like anyways.

Yes, seemed that way to me too.

Frrom what I saw the concert scene was the biggest cut. Not in the film at all. The rest seemed to be bits trimmed from other scenes, mostly in the first half of the film.

Most of what I remember. They provide more dialog for the female triangle and character development.

10 hours ago, Hibi said:

Most of what I remember. They provide more dialog for the female triangle and character development.

Can you provide any example?  I say this because I don't like the movie any differently.  That is, I like just as much as before, which is a lot.  And my impression of the characters is the same.  So maybe I'm missing something.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:43 PM, LsDoorMat said:

I thought that in the short version they showed a body, but that Greta was face down.  Like you said, a stark image for its time, and I can see the censors saying no to it. 

Bytheway, I looked through my old recording, and that shot is in the edited version.  Quite a surprise.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Can you provide any example?  I say this because I don't like the movie any differently.  That is, I like just as much as before, which is a lot.  And my impression of the characters is the same.  So maybe I'm missing something.

The concert scene. While its not central to the plot, it's the only scene where Susan Hayward and Young's wife ever meet (forget her name) The scene in the restaurant with Greer is longer and possibly there were 2 (I'd have to compare) The intro is different. There were other brief cuts here and there that made Hayward more sympathetic in the restored version. I wonder if TCM will never run the edited version now? I would like to have both to compare rather than rely on memory.