Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Richard Dreyfuss commentary on TCM airing of Goodbye Girl,  he commented that he kept his Oscar in his refrigerator until "that thing with you (Ben Manchowitz) on CBS". What WAS  that "thing" on CBS???

• Thanks 1

Always liked Richard Dreyfus, but not necessarily most of his movies.  My wife says I look like him.  Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Wow. Richard Dreyfuss is so underwhelming, and the movie is not that good.  But it is a showcase for the male lead.

I just looked at the nominees that year. I believe the Oscar should have gone to Mr. Travolta.

I watched it last night. It was fine, Dreyfus was fine but I didn’t buy them as a couple. The little girl was the best part. I’m sure I have seen most of it before, but I don’t think I ever sat thru it from beginning to end. It does surprise me he won an Oscar for it. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

I actually liked Dreyfus better in 1977 for Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  Maybe starring in both movies won him the Oscar?

It always helps! Many a winner also had another big film that year. To name only one, some people thought Diane Keaton would win the Oscar for Looking for Mr. Goodbar (Rex Reed: "If Diane Keaton doesn't win the Oscar for Looking for Mr. Goodbar, there is no God!"), but she was nominated and won for Annie Hall. What that means about God, I'm not sure.

• Haha 2

He says he didn't like his performance in The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. I think he was very  good in both Close Encounters of the Third Kind and The Goodbye Girl, but I also think he was a  better in Apprenticeship.

Wow I'm surprised at the responses here. I love Richard Dreyfuss, like every performance of his I've seen & think he's a fabulous actor, although I absolutely see how he's overacting can put off people. I've known people like Dreyfus-crazy loons in real life-but they translate great from the stage. 

The Goodbye Girl is one of my favorite movies and although it already has a lot going for it, Dreyfuss' stagey-ness drama queen intensity really helped it in a way no one else would have. Plus, he's cute.

Same for most of his roles, he seems to add elements to a story no one else would have.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow I'm surprised at the responses here. I love Richard Dreyfuss, like every performance of his I've seen & think he's a fabulous actor, although I absolutely see how he's overacting can put off people. I've known people like Dreyfus-crazy loons in real life-but they translate great from the stage. 

The Goodbye Girl is one of my favorite movies and although it already has a lot going for it, Dreyfuss' stagey-ness drama queen intensity really helped it in a way no one else would have. Plus, he's cute.

Same for most of his roles, he seems to add elements to a story no one else would have.

One person's Dreyfuss is another person's Hanks... 🙂

• Haha 6

When I get more time I'll watch what's on the link.  But I've long liked Dreyfuss too.  From AMERICAN GRAFFITI,  DILLINGER,  and  JAWS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS  along with THE GOODBYE GIRL and even his performance in THE COMPETITION even though he did get a "Razzy" for that one.   Oh, and most of the movies he made in between the ones I mentioned.  Didn't see all of his flicks, but that just means I have a lot to look forward too.  ;) 

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Great post Tiki, couldn't agree more. I love Richard Dreyfuss and I especially love The Goodbye Girl. It's another favorite that I've watched many times and always enjoy.

• Like 2

Currently watching Rosencranz & GuilersternAre Dead 1990 from sans fin's recommendation. Dreyfuss is a perfect Shakespere player-especially a flam-er!

• Like 1

a close encounters of the3rd kind sequel where Roy's rubbery little friends play a great joke on him...

they go back to earth to fetch his wife to surprise him and boy is she anxious to go.

:lol:

"do you little fellas have a rolling pin?"

Trading Card - Close Encounters - Terri Garr -#7 1978 | Movie card, Close  encounter of the third kind, Close encounters

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Currently watching Rosencranz & GuilersternAre Dead 1990 from sans fin's recommendation. Dreyfuss is a perfect Shakespere player-especially a flam-er!

I came here to say how excellent he is in that role. The leader of an itinerant troupe of actors had to be expansive. Larger-than-life is their stock in trade. Richard Dreyfuss embraced that and made it his own. I can think of no other current actor who could have carried the role with such panache.

I hesitate to ask how well you are liking the movie overall.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

When I get more time I'll watch what's on the link.  But I've long liked Dreyfuss too.  From AMERICAN GRAFFITI,  DILLINGER,  and  JAWS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS  along with THE GOODBYE GIRL and even his performance in THE COMPETITION even though he did get a "Razzy" for that one.   Oh, and most of the movies he made in between the ones I mentioned.  Didn't see all of his flicks, but that just means I have a lot to look forward too.  ;) 

I remember a group of junior high friends, who were all such big Dreyfuss fans after the '77 Goodbye Girl/Close Encounters two-punch, all went to see his next big movie, The Big Fix (1978).

81hRekxDdrL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Not only did we have no idea what it was about, but the movie was literally five years ahead of its time for even adults to follow, since its "Whatever happened to the 60's, after we all grew up in the 70's?" theme wouldn't become a big thing until '83's "The Big Chill" grabbed all the credit for it.

Watched it again as an adult, and it's a hidden sleeper gem.  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the CBS Sunday Morning video (thanks Peebs for posting), Ben M. in a voiceover refers to The Goodbye Girl as “a screen adaptation of a Neil Simon play.”

This must be news to the Academy, since The Goodbye Girl was nominated for an Oscar for best original screenplay.

I only noticed this because the TCM film festival interview with Richard Dreyfuss was the first I had heard of the details of the production of The Goodbye Girl, including the original title Bogart Slept Here, the De Niro firing, and the exit of Mike Nichols as director.

So I found Ben’s comment confusing based on what I had heard in the intro and after reading about the production on Wikipedia.

• Like 1