Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

In the CBS Sunday Morning video (thanks Peebs for posting), Ben M. in a voiceover refers to The Goodbye Girl as “a screen adaptation of a Neil Simon play.”

This must be news to the Academy, since The Goodbye Girl was nominated for an Oscar for best original screenplay.

I only noticed this because the TCM film festival interview with Richard Dreyfuss was the first I had heard of the details of the production of The Goodbye Girl, including the original title Bogart Slept Here, the De Niro firing, and the exit of Mike Nichols as director.

So I found Ben’s comment confusing based on what I had heard in the intro and after reading about the production on Wikipedia.

I made the same as mistake as Ben M., and assumed for many years that THE GOODBYE GIRL was originally a play. It watches like a play with, looong dialogue sequences. It's nice that it has its supporters here, I should have watched it for more than a few minutes the other night. I guess it could be better than I remember!

My main quibbles are the staginess of the film, the predictability of the story (c'mon people as soon as Ms Mason and Mr Dreyfuss establish their dislike for each other, you know they will fall in love in 75 minutes), the predictability that the daughter brings to the story , dialogue that is not conversational, but rather one liner after one liner, The Odd Couple rehash-iness...

And I must admit a bit of jealousy for how Mr. Dreyfuss (who I am not a fan of) is enabled to portray his character, compared to the opportunity for Ms. Mason (who I luvvvv). The Dreyfuss character is allowed to evolve and become likable, Ms. Mason gets 50% less dialogue than he does and never really establishes likability. At best she is permitted excuses for being obnoxious.

6 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

enabled to portray his character, compared to the opportunity for Ms. Mason (who I luvvvv)

I am a huge Marsha Mason fan too but think she fleshes out her charactor perfectly. Maybe because I first saw the movie with my Mom, who was a divorced single Mom raising a precocious girl, just as scared & defensive as Paula. Maybe she didn't have as many lines, but she certainly conveyed the charactor with aplomb as usual.

I assumed The Goodbye Girl was a play. Neil Simon just writes that way, it's his talent.

My favorite line: "That was a mean thing to say!"

"I know, I just felt like saying it"

• Like 1

My favorite Dreyfuss movie is, "Once Around."  In that one he takes a character most people would hate, a pushy salesman who always has to be the center of attention, and makes him vulnerable and loveable.  He's just brilliant in that, as are Holly Hunter and Danny Aiello.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

And I must admit a bit of jealousy for how Mr. Dreyfuss (who I am not a fan of) is enabled to portray his character, compared to the opportunity for Ms. Mason (who I luvvvv). The Dreyfuss character is allowed to evolve and become likable, Ms. Mason gets 50% less dialogue than he does and never really establishes likability. At best she is permitted excuses for being obnoxious.

...But, as the story goes on, we begin to understand why she is obnoxious, and accept her and her insecurities, and like her for her newly found independence. I say "we", but maybe it's just "me" who sees her that way.

• Like 1

I too liked Dreyfuss in JAWS. I thought DUDDY KRAVITZ was a little, underappreciated film...especially for Randy Quaid. I liked AMERICAN GRAFITTI. He was excellent in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.....another of my favorites. I was not a big fan of THE GOODBYE GIRL or MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS. I found them both generally dull. Dreyfuss also did a nice turn as Bernie Madoff in a made for TV movie. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AndreaDoria said:

My favorite Dreyfuss movie is, "Once Around."  In that one he takes a character most people would hate, a pushy salesman who always has to be the center of attention, and makes him vulnerable and loveable.  He's just brilliant in that, as are Holly Hunter and Danny Aiello.

I absolutely LOVE Once Around. It's a great film. Too bad it isn't shown that much. The whole cast, Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, Danny Aiello, Gena Rowlands and Laura San Giacomo, etc are all great in this very underated terrific film. Highly recommend this one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrMagoo said:

I too liked Dreyfuss in JAWS. I thought DUDDY KRAVITZ was a little, underappreciated film...especially for Randy Quaid. I liked AMERICAN GRAFITTI. He was excellent in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.....another of my favorites. I was not a big fan of THE GOODBYE GIRL or MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS. I found them both generally dull.

I like both THE GOODBYE GIRL and MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS equally, although(and obviously not the fault of Dreyfuss) I was frustrated at the end of "Opus" when the small orchestra, made up of many of Holland's alums, played that piece of music it seemed he worked FORTY YEARS on that wound up nothing but less than TEN MINUTES of what sounded like "intro"!  :angry:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I liked The Competition quite a lot. A good friend considered this one of his favorite failure fantasies. Thomas Hardy's novel Jude the Obscure was our favorite failure fantasy, but on a smaller scale The Competition works just fine. Richard Dreyfuss is effectively cast.

The Goodbye Girl is one of those films I need to start watching in the middle sometime. I've tried it from the beginning a couple of times and didn't get into it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

My favorite Dreyfuss movie is, "Once Around."  In that one he takes a character most people would hate, a pushy salesman who always has to be the center of attention, and makes him vulnerable and loveable.  He's just brilliant in that, as are Holly Hunter and Danny Aiello.

6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I absolutely LOVE Once Around. It's a great film. Too bad it isn't shown that much. The whole cast, Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, Danny Aiello, Gena Rowlands and Laura San Giacomo, etc are all great in this very underated terrific film. Highly recommend this one.

Agree with the praise for Once Around. It was an extraordinary film, sadly overlooked and forgotten. The plot feels so real and authentic, both funny and heartbreaking. I can't believe that Universal dumped such a quality film in the middle of January (adding insult to injury, it was released the weekend America became involved in the Persian Gulf War)

• Like 2

I thought ONCE AROUND was OK, but not really "extraordinary".   My wife and I thought it was kind of funny(in a way) since at the time, my daughter was going through the same "May-December" relationship with a much older man who would become her husband and is now her ex.  B)    I dreaded the thought of trying to carry Lee's (his name) fat a-ss into some emergency ward.  :rolleyes:  But luckily, he was able to drive himself to get his triple bypass.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone! Just got LOST IN YONKERS from the library, but will have to search for ONCE AROUND just to catch up on missed Dreyfuss roles.

No one mentioned the much hated A Guy Named Joe remake, ALWAYS '89. I liked it a lot, but that could have been influenced by the dazzling vintage aircraft & photography more than anything else.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks everyone! Just got LOST IN YONKERS from the library, but will have to search for ONCE AROUND just to catch up on missed Dreyfuss roles.

No one mentioned the much hated A Guy Named Joe remake, ALWAYS '89. I liked it a lot, but that could have been influenced by the dazzling vintage aircraft & photography more than anything else.

I'd like to see Tin Men again. Danny DeVito comes close to ruining most of whatever he touches, but Tin was too good to tarnish. Maybe that's why I like Dreyfuss so much in it. His character holds the same opinion.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I'd like to see Tin Men again. Danny DeVito comes close to ruining most of whatever he touches, but Tin was too good to tarnish. Maybe that's why I like Dreyfuss so much in it. His character holds the same opinion.

Personally I like Dreyfuss better in Tin Men than anything else he did.   DeVito was not bad in it either.

If you ever watch The Graduate, Dreyfuss has a small speaking part in it.

• Like 3

The great film "Jaws" would not be "Jaws" without Richard Dreyfuss.  There are so many scenes that I love that are humorous/scary/poignant with Richard Dreyfuss.  I love the scene in the boat when he (Dreyfuss) is tipsy and bragging about his diving injuries to the surly, unhinged captain of the boat played wonderfully by Robert Shaw.   Dreyfuss is laughing until the captain tells the story of how he was on the USS Indianapolis which was sunk and then the men in the water attacked by sharks.

• Like 6

Yeah, I always thought that was a great scene.   And speaking of Dreyfuss in JAWS....

Some years later, in the movie STAKEOUT;   While on stakeout, Dreyfuss' character is playing a sort of trivia game with his partner(co-star EMILIO ESTEVEZ) in which one says a line from a movie and the other must name the movie.  When it was his partner's turn to feed the line,  he gives the line, "Boating accident?  THIS was no boating accident"  from "Jaws".  But Dreyfuss' character answered, "I don't know"   :D  

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Phil Packer said:

I might be the only one who liked him in What About Bob? Cool to see his first appearance on film in The Graduate though. 

He was great in What About Bob? Love that movie anyway, it's hilarious.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Phil Packer said:

I might be the only one who liked him in What About Bob? Cool to see his first appearance on film in The Graduate though. 

these self-important stars need to be responsive to their fans and give them what they want.

Dreyfuss needs to reprise Dr. Leo Marvin.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, I always thought that was a great scene.   And speaking of Dreyfuss in JAWS....

Some years later, in the movie STAKEOUT;   While on stakeout, Dreyfuss' character is playing a sort of trivia game with his partner(co-star EMILIO ESTEVEZ) in which one says a line from a movie and the other must name the movie.  When it was his partner's turn to feed the line,  he gives the line, "Boating accident?  THIS was no boating accident"  from "Jaws".  But Dreyfuss' character answered, "I don't know"   :D  

Sepiatone

Stakeout is a very good DDreyfuss movie, but I think Another Stakeout is a little better.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, on me and my wife's  first real date (that wasn't a liaison) it was to a Dreyfuss movie.  DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS ('86).  But now, of course, I don't really remember much about the movie.  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 5/10/2021 at 8:28 PM, Arsan404 said:

He says he didn't like his performance in The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. I think he was very  good in both Close Encounters of the Third Kind and The Goodbye Girl, but I also think he was a  better in Apprenticeship.

duddy.jpg

I believe he was nervous about his performance in The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz and how it would be perceived at the time.   The story goes that he accepted Jaws because he was worried about not working again after people saw Kravitz.

This from the Guardian story ....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/may/30/richard-dreyfuss-duddy-kravitz-rerelease

"When it first came out I hated my performance, and said so for 20 years. Then I realised I was just nuts, and I stopped."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgrO9Mf75EB2XKeUWUon3

He must have been proud of it later as he was in Cannes for its restoration re-release in 2013.

This is my favourite Canadian film and Drefyfuss is very very good in it.  As is Jack Warden, Joe Silver, Randy Quaid, Micheline Lanctot, Joseph Wiseman and a career best from Denholm Elliott.

actors-richard-dreyfuss-and-micheline-la

• Like 1