Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thank you! Thank you! For finally screening this movie! I'm so excited to see it tonight.  I haven't seen it since it's release in 1977. I have suggested it a couple of times..so thank you! Is this the first time on TV?

I had recently watched A Promising Young Woman and in my little online review,  I said that it gave me Mr Goodbar vibes.  I must have conjured it up! Lol

Last time I saw this it was at a drive in with a car load of friends and a cooler full of beer. So for all practical purposes this will be the first time!

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, PrimaTX said:

Thank you! Thank you! For finally screening this movie! I'm so excited to see it tonight.  I haven't seen it since it's release in 1977. I have suggested it a couple of times..so thank you! Is this the first time on TV?

2nd, as far as I can tell.  First here was July 2016.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Last time I saw this it was at a drive in with a car load of friends and a cooler full of beer. So for all practical purposes this will be the first time!

Did you had this also?

Candy-Hersheys-MrGoodbar-Wrapper-Small.j

;)

• Haha 1

Diane Keaton's apartment building and neighborhood in this movie remind me of Mary Tyler Moore's in CHANGE OF HABIT (1969). Did Sister Michelle abandon the 'hood and sublet her place to Ms. Keaton? 

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Did you had this also?

Candy-Hersheys-MrGoodbar-Wrapper-Small.j

;)

For all I remember they could have been roasting a pig in the back of that station wagon.

• Haha 1

Diane Keaton reading The Godfather in the bar when she meets Richard Gere.  He says "I've seen the movie, "

Someone had a sense of humor.

• Haha 1

A flawed movie, and even though Keaton gives a good performance, there were better female ones (notwithstanding a weak year for women in1977).  More about the movie in the best/worst movie of the week.  However, despite the slightly cartoonish view of men, the line "I just can't stand a woman's company right after I **** her" has real bite. 

I went on a first date back in '77 to see this film. My date just wanted to see it. I had no idea what it was going to be about. She did.

Later, I was troubled by her fascination with it. The relationship was....aaaahhhh....different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

I went on a first date back in '77 to see this film. My date just wanted to see it. I had no idea what it was going to be about. She did.

Later, I was troubled by her fascination with it. The relationship was....aaaahhhh....different.

I only have a few hundred questions about that girl.

Just ....WOW.  

I always had a thing for Diane Keaton. It started with Sleeper and sorta stayed there. I like her other work, but something about her in Sleeper. 

To see her in interviews from the past decade she appears jumpy and nervous. The weird thing with the gloves. There's an old pilot joke, you can always tell the helicopter pilots in the room because they jump at every little odd sound. THAT is how she seemed.  Yet it's the same woman who had the balls to do Looking For Mr Goodbar. That is a tough circle to square.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

34 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I only have a few hundred questions about that girl.

I'll second this.

(...sounds like this would make a pretty interesting movie on its own)

• Like 1

I saw the film when it came out. Never since. Didn't like it. I'd read the book first and thought it was better.

• Like 2

To me the most interesting aspect of Looking for Mr. Goodbar is that Diane Keaton was chosen for the lead. This was a much coveted role, and within the capabilities of many a 1970s actress: Marsha Mason, Jill Clayburgh, Jane Fonda, Carrie Snodgress, Sally Kellerman, Ann-Margret, Faye Dunaway, Katharine Ross, Trish Van Devere, to name a few. Not every one of these would have been an exact fit, and some would perhaps not have done as well as Keaton, but the role isn't a "Diane Keaton part" as in many of the Woody Allen films.

Diane Keaton is one of those extremely fortunate performers who emerged onto the scene at just the right moment. In other eras she would probably not have had such a big career. June Allyson is perhaps the perfect example of someone who was in the right place at the right time.

I hadn't seen it in a while. The ending always depresses me, I mean more than one would be

depressed by the violent death of any protagonist. During most of the movie you think

crazy Richard Gere might kill her at the end. But it's another wacko. While the material is

very serious I always get a kick out of Kiley as Mr. Papa Don't Preach, complete with

booze, cigar, bad jokes, and Notre Dame jacket. Totally over the top but still hilarious.

I noticed there's even a little bit of that Annie Hall well well you know oh my God what

ever vibe in the character. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I saw the film when it came out. Never since. Didn't like it. I'd read the book first and thought it was better.

I also read the book before the movie came out in theaters. I was a single 20 something, living on my own in my own apartment and dating in NYC.  The book scared the beegeebies out of me. I didn't see the film until I was happily married! A very frightening story.

• Like 1

Yes. I thought the book told the story better w/out all the violence in the film. I thought they overdid the sister thing with Tuesday Weld too. I don't remember her being so prominent in the book.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Diane Keaton reading The Godfather in the bar when she meets Richard Gere.  He says "I've seen the movie, "

Someone had a sense of humor.

Who reads a book in a bar??? That scene seemed so phony to me........

49 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Who reads a book in a bar??? That scene seemed so phony to me........

Well she’s reading another book the next time she runs into Gere. Although this time he doesn’t say he’d seen the movie.....