Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Far I'm Disappointed With May Films

I ordered TCM recently and to be honest I'm so very disappointed. I have not seen much that interests me. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mistake. A lot of the films I have noticed have recently been on other channels. The Movie Channel for one.  Has anyone else noticed this? I'm going to give it until the end of the month if I don't see a few films I like, I may say goodbye to TCM.☹️ Why don't they play films with The Lane Sisters? (Priscilla, Rosemary, Lola). I would love to see Anne Shirley, John Garfield, lots of silents, George Raft, old horror films from the 30s through the 60s. They are showing films with actors I don't like and these films are shown on The Movie Channel and other channels. Sorry, but I'm very disappointed with TCM.🙄

I would suggest giving it time. The films cycle through gradually. 

John Garfield and the Lanes get plenty of screen time during the year, since most of their films were made at Warner Brothers and the WB catalogue is in the TCM library.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

I ordered TCM recently

I'd be interested in how you did that.  As far as I know, TCM is only available as one of a package of channels from a TV provider.

I'm so very disappointed.

So you ordered TCM without having an idea of what it offered.

A lot of the films I have noticed have recently been on other channels

Which ones?

55 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

As far as I know, TCM is only available as one of a package of channels from a TV provider.

That’s been my experience as well, but there’s some less scrupulous providers who know it’s a popular channel so don’t include it, knowing customers will pay for it as a add-on. I know a few that have had to add it on.

5 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

I ordered TCM recently and to be honest I'm so very disappointed. I have not seen much that interests me. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mistake. A lot of the films I have noticed have recently been on other channels. The Movie Channel for one.  Has anyone else noticed this? I'm going to give it until the end of the month if I don't see a few films I like, I may say goodbye to TCM.☹️ Why don't they play films with The Lane Sisters? (Priscilla, Rosemary, Lola). I would love to see Anne Shirley, John Garfield, lots of silents, George Raft, old horror films from the 30s through the 60s. They are showing films with actors I don't like and these films are shown on The Movie Channel and other channels. Sorry, but I'm very disappointed with TCM.🙄

Be patient, the movies you want to see will eventually be shown. Keep your eye on the guide, hopefully you have a DVR so you don’t have to sit there when it shows. 

You’re right though, lots of channels show many of the same movies.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

Im "With " TopBilled and Moe How..

_

Id Say Give it time (as well)...

.. ... .their Library is HUGE.. ..... ..im STILL Running Across and Tripping Over Titles and Features i, Had. NO.. ..CLUE... They Did Service To..

That And.. ... ..... While im .. Admittedly Not Sure How long trnr clsc movies has been on my radar.. .

.. theres titles..  . .. that ive seen them show, ..ONCE.... .. +YEARS Ago (Now)..... ..but thst doesnt neccesarily mean that theyve exterminated any given /respective titles (either)...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

That’s been my experience as well, but there’s some less scrupulous providers who know it’s a popular channel so don’t include it, knowing customers will pay for it as a add-on. I know a few that have had to add it on.

Hello Moe Howard, that's what I did I had to add it on to my package.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Be patient, the movies you want to see will eventually be shown. Keep your eye on the guide, hopefully you have a DVR so you don’t have to sit there when it shows. 

You’re right though, lots of channels show many of the same movies.   

Thank you.🤗

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

I don’t know how recently you got it added but John Garfield was the Star of the Month just a couple of months ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mabel, I think Tiki was a bit harsh, so don't dwell on that.  I'm a  l-o-n-g-t-i-m-e  tcm viewer and lurk most of the time.  You've had some nice posts & I'd definitely not put you in the same class that irritates Tiki.  I, too, can assure you that TCM does show the types of films that you're looking for on a regular basis.  Many of those films are not available elsewhere.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I'd be interested in how you did that.  As far as I know, TCM is only available as one of a package of channels from a TV provider.

So you ordered TCM without having an idea of what it offered.

Which ones?

TCM used to be part of a package with my cable provider, but no more.  Now we have to order it separately and the cable company has been increasing the cost of TCM for the past two years. 

6 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

Mabel, I think Tiki was a bit harsh, so don't dwell on that.  I'm a  l-o-n-g-t-i-m-e  tcm viewer and lurk most of the time.  You've had some nice posts & I'd definitely not put you in the same class that irritates Tiki.  I, too, can assure you that TCM does show the types of films that you're looking for on a regular basis.  Many of those films are not available elsewhere.

Hello dianedebuda, thank you for the kind words. Your very nice and I appreciate what you said. I'll be watching for the films I hope to see.🌹

• Like 1
8 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

TCM used to be part of a package with my cable provider, but no more.  Now we have to order it separately and the cable company has been increasing the cost of TCM for the past two years. 

Who is your cable provider? 

Welcome MabelNormand193, 

It so happens that you missed out on John Garfield films that TCM highlighted recently. He was the Star of the Month in February. I believe they included a couple of pictures with the Lane sisters, and The Postman Always Rings Twice, (which is coming early tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. Between Two Worlds, which will be back on TCM on Tuesday, June 8th),  and Body and Soul. 

You spoke of Horror films, The Devil Doll will be on Tuesday, May 18th at 9:30 a.m. and Isle of the Dead with Boris Karloff at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 18th.

If you want your fill of Warner Brother classics, check out Saturday's scheduled (May 15), East of Eden at 1:30 p.m., Casablanca at 3:45 p.m., , Mildred Pierce on Sunday, May 16th at 6 p.m.

Hang in there. Summer Under the Stars begins in August. The devote one day in the month of August to one Star. So you get to see 31 different star in their greatest and not so great films for the whole day.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Oneeyeopen said:

Welcome MabelNormand193, 

It so happens that you missed out on John Garfield films that TCM highlighted recently. He was the Star of the Month in February. I believe they included a couple of pictures with the Lane sisters, and The Postman Always Rings Twice, (which is coming early tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. Between Two Worlds, which will be back on TCM on Tuesday, June 8th),  and Body and Soul. 

You spoke of Horror films, The Devil Doll will be on Tuesday, May 18th at 9:30 a.m. and Isle of the Dead with Boris Karloff at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 18th.

If you want your fill of Warner Brother classics, check out Saturday's scheduled (May 15), East of Eden at 1:30 p.m., Casablanca at 3:45 p.m., , Mildred Pierce on Sunday, May 16th at 6 p.m.

Hang in there. Summer Under the Stars begins in August. The devote one day in the month of August to one Star. So you get to see 31 different star in their greatest and not so great films for the whole day.

Thank you.😊

I enjoyed the 31 Days of Oscar last month but am glad that Noir Alley is back.

In response to the OP, you seem to have many specific types of films  you want to see, more that what I think can be reasonable to expect in a short window given there's only so many hours in a day.  Over time, the schedule encompasses quite a lot.  But this does make me think that perhaps TCM could have it's own netflix type subscription  service where thousands of classic films are available to watch at any time as opposed to just a hub on HBO Max with a few hundred films. 

2 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I enjoyed the 31 Days of Oscar last month but am glad that Noir Alley is back.

In response to the OP, you seem to have many specific types of films  you want to see, more that what I think can be reasonable to expect in a short window given there's only so many hours in a day.  Over time, the schedule encompasses quite a lot.  But this does make me think that perhaps TCM could have it's own netflix type subscription  service where thousands of classic films are available to watch at any time as opposed to just a hub on HBO Max with a few hundred films. 

They did have that - it was Filmstruck.  AT&T killed it because they had HBOMax in the works...