Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two first names

Sepiatone

We've done "alliterative"  actors, and Rhyming actors.  Now let's try those who have two first names.

Sadly, although suggesting it, the only off the top names I can come up with is comic actor 

KEVIN JAMES

Oh, and of course

TERRY THOMAS  and DANNY THOMAS

And now?----------   Y'all's turn.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

This is an interesting challenge. 

How about Matthew Broderick...?

BTW he is a ubiquitous New York celebrity, nice guy and pretty good softball player.

moved to 

Meeting Classic Stars In Person

Edited by Herman Bricks
more appropriate topic
  • Like 3

There may be hundreds of examples, although so far I've only come up with around 80.  (I created a thread called "The First Shall Be Last" on a similar theme a few weeks ago, but it seems to have died a natural death already!)

For male actors, the most famous cases are probably John Wayne, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Kirk Douglas, James Stewart and James Dean.  (Also anyone whose last name is Howard, Marshall, Mitchell, Montgomery, or Taylor.) To avoid hogging the thread I'll save some less obvious examples for a later post, in case no one else mentions them.

In the meantime, here are some interesting "cross-gender" cases (perhaps not surprisingly, there seem to be many more actresses than actors who fall into this category):

Sylvia Sidney

Gladys George

Gloria Grahame

Rosalind, Jane, and Gail Russell

Katharine Ross

Greer Garson

Jean Kent

Claire Trevor

Lee Grant

Marsha Mason

Ann Todd

Mary Martin

Ruth Roland

Mae Murray

Kim Hunter

Kay Francis

Danny Kaye

Thomas Jane

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fausterlitz said:

There may be hundreds of examples, although so far I've only come up with around 80.  (I created a thread called "The First Shall Be Last" on a similar theme a few weeks ago, but it seems to have died a natural death already!)

For male actors, the most famous cases are probably John Wayne, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Kirk Douglas, James Stewart and James Dean.  (Also anyone whose last name is Howard, Marshall, Mitchell, Montgomery, or Taylor.) To avoid hogging the thread I'll save some less obvious examples for a later post, in case no one else mentions them.

In the meantime, here are some interesting "cross-gender" cases (perhaps not surprisingly, there seem to be many more actresses than actors who fall into this category):

Sylvia Sidney

Gladys George

Gloria Grahame

Rosalind, Jane, and Gail Russell

Katharine Ross

Greer Garson

Jean Kent

Claire Trevor

Lee Grant

Marsha Mason

Ann Todd

Mary Martin

Ruth Roland

Mae Murray

Kim Hunter

Kay Francis

Danny Kaye

Thomas Jane

You Left off Some Doozies... ..

Gene Kelly.

Fred, Steve,, and Tim Allen.

Melissa George (🧗‍♂️🧗‍♀️)

And (So Far); my Personal Favourite.. ... was wondering if anyone would have "gotten" (to) this Fellow...

Sid Ceasar .. lol

• Thanks 1

Okay, so here's my, ahem, short list again:

Billy  Barty

(...well okay sure, I suppose you DO have to remove the 'y' in Billy's last name for it to truly work in this case...so sue me!)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

We've done "alliterative"  actors, and Rhyming actors.  Now let's try those who have two first names.

Sadly, although suggesting it, the only off the top names I can come up with is comic actor 

KEVIN JAMES

Oh, and of course

TERRY THOMAS  and DANNY THOMAS

And now?----------   Y'all's turn.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Dick Shawn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Has General Discussions replaced Games & Trivia?

Could be worse here ya know, Tiki.

(...uh-huh...at least the General Discussions forum here hasn't replaced the Off-Topic Chit Chat forum and what ensues inside IT now days!)  ;)

LOL

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Has General Discussions replaced Games & Trivia?

12 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Hope not. Once in awhile if someone wants to post a question it's one thing, hope it's not a trend.

Well, here's the way I feel about this sort'a thing, ladies.

Just as long as I can find a way to insert my attempts at humor into threads, I don't really care if the threads here in the General Discussion forum ask for a freakin' list of things or NOT!!!

(...and besides, you sure wouldn't want me doin' this in the Games & Trivia forum, now would YOU?!!!)   LOL

;)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, here's the way I feel about this sort'a thing, ladies.

Just as long as I can find a way to insert my attempts at humor into threads, I don't really care if the threads here in the General Discussion forum ask for a freakin' list of things or NOT!!!

(...and besides, you sure wouldn't want me doin' this in the Games & Trivia forum, now would YOU?!!!)   LOL

;)

LOL, nah, wouldn't want that. We already had that pleasure years ago Dargo. ( just teasing, you're welcome over there any old time) If it becomes a trend we'll have that many more threads pushing down discussions of films. Keep the threads seperate.

• Like 1

Btw here Herman...

22 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

This is an interesting challenge. 

How about Matthew Broderick...?

BTW he is a ubiquitous New York celebrity, nice guy and pretty good softball player.

From 1987-2007 I played on competitive softball teams mostly in Manhattan, but also in Queens, Brooklyn, the BX, NJ....

Matthew Broderick on a number of occasions showed up in Central Park (Heckscher Field) or Dewitt Clinton Park on his Vespa and asked if he could "shag" or work out with my teams. Heckscher was an easy destination. Clinton Park on 11th Avenue and West 54th St., not so much...

So he would shag fly balls in the outfield until everyone else had hit, and then would ask if he could get some swings (which is appropriate if you join some other teams's softball practice).

Mr. Broderick I would guess at least played low level high school baseball, his throwing and his (lefty) batting swing were pretty good! He was small (like 5'8") but had a little power, though a tendency to hit fly balls.

In one of the practices, we were doing "game-situations" on every batted ball. So on every batted ball to the outfield we are charging and throwing to bases. I was in center field with Mr. Broderick. His throws to third were low and would have hit a runner (if there was one). I told him to take a different angle and take the runner into account.  He actually subsequently did that, and thanked me for the advice, he was a humble guy in my estimation.

Yes, I'm sure Matthew is a very nice guy, Herman. AND, it was nice to hear he took to heart your advice about throws being sent back into the infield from center field. (which coincidentally happens to be the title of my favorite song about the sport of Baseball)

However, I must now ask the following:

Where the hell were you when you could have maybe given Mr. Broderick a few tips on how to not be so damn boring and lifeless when he hosted that week of screwball comedies on TCM a few year back, HUH???

(...yep, I still remember this after all these years, alright...but then again, I DO have one of those minds which like they say is "like a steel trap", ya know!)

LOL

• Haha 1

Threads like this for some reason don't seem to need being elsewhere or the mods would have moved them(like they've done to other threads at times) to where they think they should be.  And at least while posting your queries you could have at least added a pertinent reply.   like----

SPENCER TRACY  ;) 

And BRICKS;

Your mention of MATTHEW BRODERICK  is fine  So too, is his father, actor JAMES BRODERICK.  ;) 

Sepiatone

OK.  so they moved it.  But this WASN'T intended as a game,  nor a trivia  pursuit.  If the mods were as smart as they PRETEND to be, they maybe might have moved it to the  "Information Please" page.  ;) 

Hope you widdle whiners are happy.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone