Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NYC Pride Bans Police Participation until 2025

Swithin

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, it seems a bit illogical...gay police officers are banned?

New York Times: "L.G.B.T.Q. police officers will not be allowed to participate as a group in the annual march, and organizers said they will rely on private security for their events."

Daily News: New York City Pride has told the Gay Officers Action League — which represents officers from the NYPD and other law enforcement organizations — that it is not welcome in the parade, said NYPD Det. Brian Downey, president of the police group.

We have a Democratic Primary for Mayor coming up on June 22, which is already super complicated. For the first time in my life, I don't know who I'm going to vote for. There are many candidates, but this year we get to rank them if we want. It's a very motley assortment.  I wonder if this issue is going to come up.

10 hours ago, Swithin said:

New York Times: "L.G.B.T.Q. police officers will not be allowed to participate as a group in the annual march, and organizers said they will rely on private security for their events."

Daily News: New York City Pride has told the Gay Officers Action League — which represents officers from the NYPD and other law enforcement organizations — that it is not welcome in the parade, said NYPD Det. Brian Downey, president of the police group.

We have a Democratic Primary for Mayor coming up on June 22, which is already super complicated. For the first time in my life, I don't know who I'm going to vote for. There are many candidates, but this year we get to rank them if we want. It's a very motley assortment.  I wonder if this issue is going to come up.

Thanks. I did read the article. I was trying to make sense of it. 

It seems like they are establishing a precedent...I can see other outdoor functions banning the police, because we have reached a point where some activists (not just LGBTQ activists) feel the police are harmful and non-essential. So there is now a movement to displace the police and make them less relevant.

37 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. I did read the article. I was trying to make sense of it. 

It seems like they are establishing a precedent...I can see other outdoor functions banning the police, because we have reached a point where some activists (not just LGBTQ activists) feel the police are harmful and non-essential. So there is now a movement to displace the police and make them less relevant.

It's deeply insulting to the gay police officers who have worked against great odds for their positions.  The defund the police activists are louder, but they are not (I don't think) in the majority in New York City; and I think the June 22 primary will reflect that. Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, one of our leading African American candidates for Mayor, has said that "Young white affluent people lead the defund the police movement."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's shameful, denying gay cops the right to participate.  Do they think the long fight for inclusion has been so that they can imperiously start excluding  other gay people who somehow don't measure up?  "Private security"? To me, a dubiously secure, well-publicized large-scale gay event combined with a perceived insult to the police is asking for trouble. There are people out there ready to rumble (again) and they don't need this kind of encouragement. All the intelligence says that they're itching to move again. This isn't the climate in which to be pulling a stunt like this. I'm stunned by some of the lunacy the "right" is falling prey to these days, but things like this make me fear for the "left" too. I hope this won't be something we all come to regret. 

This a result of woke culture which has not concept of history- all police officers are not evil- and we should celebrate of the gay  men and women who are in the police force- this is a good reason to boycott this parade

• Thanks 1