Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have celebrated the greatest entertainers in Hollywood and even chuckled at the worst films ever directed. How about a TCM tribute dedicated  to some of the worst actors of the Golden Age ?

Here's my short  list of some of a number of actors/actresses from the Golden Age who should never have been afforded a screen test.

1. Ruth Chatterton

2. Jayne Mansfield

3. Guy Madison

4. Lupe Velez

5. Nat King Cole

6. Farley Granger

7. Van Heflin

8. Troy Donahue

9. James Dean

10. Jane Russell

Please provide other nominees for this ever expanding list and there  far more we can pin point today!

A11.jpg

• Like 1

a good list but Guy Madison wasn't that bad. he starred in a childhood favorite of mine The Beast of Hollow Mountain along with patricia medina.

it is better than it's Harryhausen remake the valley of Gwangi.

take a look at Guy in On the Threshold of Space an interesting variation of Torwards the Unknown

On the Threshold of Space (1956)

Guy Madison, Virginia Leith / On the Threshold of Space 1956 directed Stock  Photo - Alamy

On the Threshold of Space DVD Review ⢠Home Theater Forum | Home Theater  Forum

• Like 2

reneex said:

Here's my short  list of some of a number of actors/actresses from the Golden Age who should never have been afforded a screen test.

And now MY assessment of YOUR assessment of them in red...

1. Ruth Chatterton ...no, good actress

2. Jayne Mansfield...yes, you're right here

3. Guy Madison...yes, you're especially right here...lousy actor who, yes, only got that screen test because he was so damn handsome

4. Lupe Velez...no, fairly good actress

5. Nat King Cole...yes, great singer but lousy actor

6. Farley Granger...no, fairly good actor

7. Van Heflin...you're kiddin' here especially, right...no, great actor...one of the best in fact

8. Troy Donahue...yes, you're right here

9. James Dean...no, very good actor who would've only gotten better

10. Jane Russell...no, fairly good actress

(...and now MY picks for the worst...George Raft and James Craig)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Wow, Dargo, you basically read my mind with those comments.  Haven't decided yet whether to compile my own list, but at least among actors with "major" careers, George Raft would certainly be on it (although I do enjoy his mild self-parody in Some Like it Hot...just not sure he recognized it as such).

Re Troy Donahue, I happened to catch about 2/3 of Rome Adventure the other day (that was about as much as I could take), and was surprised to learn that he and Suzanne Pleshette were (very) briefly married shortly afterwards.  She just seems like so much more vivid a person and actress than he is, I don't quite get the attraction.  At least in that film, he always looks vaguely annoyed for some reason--maybe he was more charming in real life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Firstly & ForeMostly...

All This is Said and Posited in Ammicable Camaraderie, Curiosity;,,, and Interest ..

🥂🍻

Okay, then ..

_

Why.. ... is Farley Granger .. ... on that list...,? ..

Is he too .. "boyish" (in appearance) ,for You ,?...

. ... ..

I.. ... always .. never thougt that much for /of W.C. Fields...

.. ... .

Now im gonna go ask Rod if i can jump in his time machine and ZOOOHHM, Ahead..

To just about right now..

🙏,.

. ... .....

(i) Do.. ...NOT .. .....really care for leonardo de caprio... .. ..... ..in ANY (of his) films.....

^*Ditto For (adam) sandler.... ..

• Confused 1
13 hours ago, reneex said:

We have celebrated the greatest entertainers in Hollywood and even chuckled at the worst films ever directed. How about a TCM tribute dedicated  to some of the worst actors of the Golden Age ?

1. Ruth Chatterton

2. Jayne Mansfield

3. Guy Madison

4. Lupe Velez

5. Nat King Cole

6. Farley Granger

7. Van Heflin

8. Troy Donahue

9. James Dean

10. Jane Russell

Please provide other nominees for this ever expanding list and there  far more we can pin point today!

A11.jpg

I disagree strongly with half your list. I realize it's all a matter of opinion, however, no way was Ruth Chatterton, Farley Granger,Van Heflin, James Dean, Jane Russell "bad actors". Thar's half of your strange choices for bad actors.   Van Heflin? You've got to be kidding there.You need to Re-watch some of the movies they've been in. While I agree about George Raft, he's actually pretty effective in the movie Red Light out to avenge his brother's murder.

• Like 2

Hedy Lamarr.

Ava Gardner.  So gorgeous that it's hard to concentrate on the movie, but, not so good an actress.

Greta Garbo.  Wooden.

• Thanks 1

Like Lavender said above, it's all a matter of opinion. I disagree with James Dean, Troy Donahue, and Guy Madison, as I'm a fan of theirs.

Anyone who knows me knows I can't stand Farley Granger. His voice is extremely annoying, and it gets on my nerves after awhile. He's basically the male version of Kristen Stewart; both were former teen stars who got juicy adult roles based on luck and not on talent.

Here's a couple more:

Gary Cooper is extremely boring. He talks very slowly out of the side of the mouth. Plus, my dad has never made it through a Gary Cooper movie without falling asleep.

Tab Hunter is a very bland actor who coasts through movies with his looks. He's better known to me in his real life role as Anthony Perkins' ex-boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am actually surprised at how many good actors there are out of the multitude to have tried. It is not the easiest thing to be comfortable in front of the camera, the crew, and with the knowledge that possibly millions of people are going to see you magnified up on a giant screen.

I was on a show once where Elon Musk came in as a guest star. As multi talented and genius as he is, he was horrible in front of the camera. So bad in fact, that the production was just going to use his voice off camera while shooting other actors. I am not criticizing him, as a matter, I would think that is normal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stallion said:

...I was on a show once where Elon Musk came in as a guest star. As multi talented and genius as he is, he was horrible in front of the camera. So bad in fact, that the production was just going to use his voice off camera while shooting other actors. I am not criticizing him, as a matter, I would think that is normal.

This show you said you were on wouldn't have been Chuck Lorre's The Big Bang Theory, would it Stallion? I remember an episode where Howard meets Musk while they're both volunteering at a homeless shelter's kitchen.

(...and yes, I winced repeatedly while watching him host SNL just a week ago...but then again, during his opening monologue, he did mention he has Asperger's and which was something I didn't previously know)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

This show you said you were on wouldn't have been Chuck Lorre's The Big Bang Theory, would it Stallion? I remember an episode where Howard meets Musk while they're both volunteering at a homeless shelter's kitchen.

(...and yes, I winced repeatedly while watching him host SNL just a week ago...but then again, during his opening monologue, he did mention he has Asperger's and which was something I didn't previously know)

It was The Big Bang Theory. By the way, the Stallion name is a joke as I am always telling my wife I am a Stallion, haha.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Stallion said:

It was The Big Bang Theory.

Could I ask in what capacity you were on it?

Primarily interested here only because 'TBBT' has been one of my favorite sitcoms for years now.

(...in fact, I think almost every Chuck Lorre produced sitcom from 'Dharma & Greg' on has been excellent, and am still sort of mourning the fact that he decided to end the run of 'Mom')

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Could I ask in what capacity you were on it?

Primarily interested here only because TBBT has been one of my favorite sitcoms for years now.

(...in fact, I think almost every Chuck Lorre produced sitcom from Dharma & Greg on has been excellent)

I was the lighting best boy on the show. Chuck Lorre is the current master of the sitcom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Stallion said:

I was the lighting best boy on the show.

Fun sets to work on, I'd bet.

12 hours ago, reneex said:

1. Ruth Chatterton

2. Jayne Mansfield

3. Guy Madison

4. Lupe Velez

5. Nat King Cole

6. Farley Granger

7. Van Heflin

8. Troy Donahue

9. James Dean

10. Jane Russell

A11.jpg

I .. Wanted to Add ... .. just a bit.. ...to my response to You Voicing Surprise at F. Granger...

No Dissrespect and or Condescension was /is meant with my question about (the Possibility of) his boyish, "young" looks.. ...

Nothing mean spirited is meant with that,. .. im ("simply").

Curious. And Interested.

My Apologies Reneex though if that was a peacock remark. .. it was not meant as such.

Just now, Dargo said:

Fun sets to work on, I'd bet.

The Big Bang Theory was a show where the crew actually laughed at things. This isn't always the case. It really does seem if a sitcom is going to be funny, first the crew thinks it is.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stallion said:

The Big Bang Theory was a show where the crew actually laughed at things. This isn't always the case. It really does seem if a sitcom is going to be funny, first the crew thinks it is.

Yeah, I'd think so too. 

This comment of yours reminds me that one could often hear James Burrows and James L. Brooks, the directors of Cheers and Taxi respectively, laughing out loud during the final tapings.

I did a show with Jim Burrows once. He was tops. It used to be when pilot season came around, everyone wanted Burrows to direct their sitcom pilots, rightly thinking it would make for a better chance to be picked up to go to series.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Leighcat said:

Ruth Chatterton? See Dodsworth. Not only a good actress, sometimes she was great.

Even the late TCM host Robert Osbourne wasn't impressed with her acting skills.

7 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Unless he was acting as a singer like in Cat Ballou.

Belafonte was a good friend and contemporary of Sidney Portier. Both competed for the so few roles offered to black actors during that era but in all fairness, Belafonte IMHO, wasn't much of an actor either.  Like NKC, he was fine singer and basically, eye candy. Didn't offer much in any of his limited roles.

A4.jpg

2 minutes ago, reneex said:

Even the late TCM host Robert Osbourne wasn't impressed with her acting skills.

Who's this "Robert Osbourne" character you're speaking of here?

The spelling of the late great TCM host's last name didn't include that superfluous letter 'u', ya know.  ;)

(...but hey, anyone who'd think Van Heflin was a lousy actor might not know this either, huh)  LOL

• Like 1

Sorry Darg, but I'm still unsettled as to what I think is the most UNfunniest "comedy" show ever.  Three way tie between;

BIG BANG THEORY

SEINFELD

WILL AN GRACE

But you did say it's all a matter of opinion.  

To the bad actors list I'd add...

ADOLPH MENJOU

GARY COOPER

PAT O'BRIEN(yeah, I know.  Some kind of "icon" but face it.  Had the range of a man with serious prostrate problems.  ;) ) 

Sepiatone