Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 5/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bogie56 said:

The Democrats agreed to share the commission 50/50 with the Party that caused the insurrection and that still wasn't good enough.

As BTC puts it, giving the Republicans equal control of the Jan 6 Commission is like giving the Nazis a seat at the table of the Nuremberg trials.

In his column in the Washington Post today, Max Boot speculates that we are better off without this 50/50 Commission as the Republicans show no good faith anyway.

Bill Kristol, David Frum, and Max Boot, 
By CONOR LYNCH
PUBLISHED FEBRUARY 25, 2018 1:00PM (UTC)
Neoconservatives have managed to salvage their sullied reputations, with many Democrats embracing them for their Russia-centered critiques of the president. This shift was evident in a recent approval rating poll for George W. Bush, revealing that his favorability has soared among Democrats from just 11 percent approval in 2009 to 54 percent today. Other neocons like Kristol and Frum — who notoriously coined the phrase “axis of evil” as President Bush’s speechwriter — have become darlings of the “Resistance,” a movement that seems to have no real politics besides opposing the contemptible president.

• Like 1

It seems a number of GOP Senators would not even meet with her.

'I couldn't stay quiet anymore': Mother of slain Capitol cop Brian Sicknick meets with Republican senators urging them NOT to block the riot commission 

Mother of slain Capitol cop Brian Sicknick meets with GOP senators on 1/6 commission bill

The mother of slain Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick and his longtime girlfriend were on Capitol Hill Thursday trying to convince Republican senators not to doom the House-passed bill that would create a 9/11-style commission to investigate the January 6 Capitol riot. 'This is why I'm here today,' Gladys Sicknick said when asked if she was angry at GOP lawmakers not supportive of a commission. 'Usually I'm staying in the background and I just couldn't, I couldn't stay quiet anymore.'

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

GOP set to block Jan. 6 panel, stoking Senate filibuster fight-

"..........The filibuster is a time-honored Senate tradition that requires a vote by 60 of the 100 senators to cut off debate and advance a bill. With the Senate evenly split 50-50, Democrats would need support of 10 Republicans to move to the commission bill, sparking fresh debate over whether the time has come to change the rules and lower the threshold to 51 votes to take up legislation.

The House already approved the measure with some Republican support, but Trump has made it clear he opposes the formation of any panel to investigate the Jan. 6 mob siege, when his supporters mounted an assault in a failed effort to overturn Joe Biden’s election.

Democrats are warning that if Republicans are willing to use the filibuster to stop an arguably popular measure, it shows the limits of trying to broker compromises, particularly on bills related to election reforms or other aspects of the Democrats’ agenda.

“There is no excuse for any Republican to vote against this commission,” said Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., ........

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/gop-set-to-block-jan-6-panel-stoking-senate-filibuster-fight

<_<

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

But, don't you think it's CUTE how Mitch and his cronies think blocking the formation of the commission ISN'T as partisan an act as he believes the commission IS?  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, mr6666 said:

A bipartisan January 6 commission is probably dead.

Democrats have a backup plan.

".......

Democrats may have a new plan to investigate the attack on the Capitol: A select House committee, which would not require Republican support to establish.

Such a committee would differ from the proposed bipartisan commission in several key ways, but it could still take steps to ensure accountability for those involved in the insurrection. Notably, a select committee would be composed of members of Congress rather than outside experts, and the subpoena power would function differently — but, crucially, it could also be created with only a simple majority vote in the House.

At the same time, a select committee could cast an inescapable partisan shadow over the investigation — and the failure of the independent commission bill underscores the alarming depths of Republican fealty to the Big Lie. ...................

https://www.vox.com/2021/5/29/22459614/commission-bipartisan-january-6-democrats-select-committee

:unsure:

• Like 1

I'm curious how many here believe if there is no Congressional investigation committee (either bipartisan or one run only by House Dems),  if the truth about January 6th wouldn't be made available to the US public.      I assume that most of the truth will come out anyway from the multiple trials and overall investigations from the DOJ.

Even the L.A. Times stated something similar;   that the multiple trials and DOJ investigations will reveal most of the truth \ information and that a bipartisan commission wasn't really necessary for that,  but instead to summaries the information since such a commission issues a final comprehensive report.  

Also if one of the Dems' goals of a Congressional investigation was to convince on-the-fence GOPers and independents about the seriousness of what happened on that day and Trump's being the driving force,   I'm not convinced something coming from Congress would be any more convincing then what comes out of the trials and DOJ investigations. 

E.g.  the defendants that are claiming Trump was the main reason and motivator for their actions leading up to,  and including,  that day.  

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm curious how many here believe if there is no Congressional investigation committee (either bipartisan or one run only by House Dems),  if the truth about January 6th wouldn't be made available to the US public.      I assume that most of the truth will come out anyway from the multiple trials and overall investigations from the DOJ.

Even the L.A. Times stated something similar;   that the multiple trials and DOJ investigations will reveal most of the truth \ information and that a bipartisan commission wasn't really necessary for that,  but instead to summaries the information since such a commission issues a final comprehensive report.  

Also if one of the Dems' goals of a Congressional investigation was to convince on-the-fence GOPers and independents about the seriousness of what happened on that day and Trump's being the driving force,   I'm not convinced something coming from Congress would be any more convincing then what comes out of the trials and DOJ investigations. 

E.g.  the defendants that are claiming Trump was the main reason and motivator for their actions leading up to,  and including,  that day.  

It will be easier for Kevin McCarthy to not give evidence if he can claim it is all a partisan witch hunt.

As John dean said, the thing most people want to know is what was Trump doing, or not doing when all of this was going on.  How does that come out?

• Thanks 2
14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

It will be easier for Kevin McCarthy to not give evidence if he can claim it is all a partisan witch hunt.

As John dean said, the thing most people want to know is what was Trump doing, or not doing when all of this was going on.  How does that come out?

I would like one of the defendant's lawyers to issue a subpoena to McCarthy to testify about his phone call with Trump.  This could be relevant to the defense's case that their client was just following order from the highest office in the USA,  the President:    In that call Trump complaining that the insurgents cared more about over turning the election results than McCarthy is useful evidence for the defense.      

47 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would like one of the defendant's lawyers to issue a subpoena to McCarthy to testify about his phone call with Trump.  This could be relevant to the defense's case that their client was just following order from the highest office in the USA,  the President:    In that call Trump complaining that the insurgents cared more about over turning the election results than McCarthy is useful evidence for the defense.      

As "defendant's lawyers" I take that you mean a lawyer for one of the indicted insurrectionists?  Those approximately 450 accused are under intense pressure to plead guilty and take whatever deal they are offered so there would not be a trial.  If some go to trial and their defence was "God, ie Trump told me to do it" I doubt very much that would be enough for a Judge to agree that Kevin McCarthy or Donald Trump for that matter be called to testify.  The accused still broke into the Capital no matter what the reason.  That's just my feeling for the matter, of course.

I think the only way to seriously get McCarthy to testify is if Donald Trump comes to be charged for inciting the entire affair.  Eric Swalwell is suing Trump for instance.  The prosecution would call him as a witness.

As a loyal servant of the American people McCarthy should willingly testify under oath for any Congressional committee, but will he?

In any event, there were others reportedly in the room with Trump while he gleefully watched everything on television.  We especially need to hear from those people.

• Thanks 1
On 5/29/2021 at 5:44 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yep.  But Granny Mitch wasn't claiming the bipartisan commission wasn't necessary.  He claimed he believed it WAS partisan motivated. 

Sepiatone

• 3 weeks later...
  • Bogie56 changed the title to January 6th Committee

so the american people are supposed to believe that this select committee will be fair enough to seek all the facts no matter where they lead?

Bogie56, can you get a hold of nancy pelosi and tell her it's now June 24th, 2021

when is she going to start construction of the Jan. 6th insurrection shrine?

I think the marble should come from the same quarries that the marble tables in the house chamber came from.

:lol:

(I'm partial to white marble)

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

so the american people are supposed to believe that this select committee will be fair enough to seek all the facts no matter where they lead?

Bogie56, can you get a hold of nancy pelosi and tell her it's now June 24th, 2021

when is she going to start construction of the Jan. 6th insurrection shrine?

I think the marble should come from the same quarries that the marble tables in the house chamber came from.

:lol:

(I'm partial to white marble)

Frankly, I'm glad that it will be partisan.  Trumpists would not believe anything about the insurrection in any event.  And because it will not be equally shared with the Republican politico insurrectionists the Committee will have much less BS to put up with.

We call ... Citizen Trump to take the stand!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

just how can the country move on when the democrats are so unwilling to forget about Trump themselves?

I think the country can move on as soon as he shuts up.  But that won't happen until the bitter end

• Like 3