Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

.........the new report of Justice Department notes showing the extent to which former President Donald Trump sought to interfere in the department's policy to overturn the presidential election.............

......."Think of this in a foreign country," added Kristol. "The defense secretary fired a bunch of cronies. It's lucky that even though Esper was gone, Mark Milley held the line are defense, it's lucky that deputy — acting Attorney General Rosen seems to have held the line at Justice Department, but the degree to which this was a genuine attempt by a sitting president."

"Think of this in a foreign country," added Kristol. "The defense secretary fired a bunch of cronies. It's lucky that even though Esper was gone, Mark Milley held the line are defense, it's lucky that deputy — acting Attorney General Rosen seems to have held the line at Justice Department, but the degree to which this was a genuine attempt by a sitting president."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-coup-2654294532/

<_<

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

.........the new report of Justice Department notes showing the extent to which former President Donald Trump sought to interfere in the department's policy to overturn the presidential election.............

......."Think of this in a foreign country," added Kristol. "The defense secretary fired a bunch of cronies. It's lucky that even though Esper was gone, Mark Milley held the line are defense, it's lucky that deputy — acting Attorney General Rosen seems to have held the line at Justice Department, but the degree to which this was a genuine attempt by a sitting president."

"Think of this in a foreign country," added Kristol. "The defense secretary fired a bunch of cronies. It's lucky that even though Esper was gone, Mark Milley held the line are defense, it's lucky that deputy — acting Attorney General Rosen seems to have held the line at Justice Department, but the degree to which this was a genuine attempt by a sitting president."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-coup-2654294532/

<_<

'Just say the election was corrupt, and leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen,...'

What Donald Trump said to the DOJ in December in bid to overturn Biden's win when top officials insisted there was no evidence of voter fraud

• A Dec. 27, 2020 email memorializes a conversation between Trump and two top DOJ officials
  • House Oversight released hand-written notes about conversation between 'P' and 'DAG' – the Deputy Attorney General
  • Trump voiced his claims of election fraud just weeks before the end of his term
  •  'Just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen,' he told the officials
  • Came days after former AG Bill Barr left his post 
  • Also told the officials 'people will criticize the DOJ' if Hunter Biden were 'not investigated for real'
  • Officials pushed back and 'told him flat out that much of the info he is getting is false'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9844719/Just-say-election-corrupt-leave-rest-Donald-Trump-told-DOJ-official.html

-_-

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just part of today's Washington Post article ...

Opinion: Trump’s coup attempt grows even more worrisome as new details emerge

The Clark letter not only urged Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) to call the legislature into special session to consider “this important and urgent matter” but also advised the legislature of its “implied authority under the Constitution of the United States to call itself into special session for the limited purpose of considering issues pertaining to the appointment of Presidential Electors.” It was to be signed by Rosen, acting deputy attorney general Richard Donoghue and Clark himself.

Clark had insisted that his dealings with the White House were “consistent with law” and that he had merely participated in “a candid discussion of options and pros and cons with the president.”

This is not how things are supposed to work. At a normal Justice Department, the head of the civil division, rungs down the organization chart, does not end-run the attorney general to have “candid discussions” with the president. At a normal Justice Department, there are guardrails in place to prevent this sort of improper interference by the president.

Now we are getting accounts of what happened in those frenzied final days from Rosen himself. Over the weekend, he hastened to testify to the Justice Department inspector general and the Senate Judiciary Committee before Trump could seek to interpose assertions of executive privilege. Rosen’s former deputy, Donoghue, also appeared before the Senate panel. The testimony was behind closed doors, but as we learn more of what was said, I suspect there will be even more reason to be concerned about what might have been.

• Sad 1

CNN had an opinion article on the Trump coup attempt but it was mostly positive in that,  after the election and until Jan 6th,  the vast majority of those under Trump either ignored him or refused to carry out his request.    Even Barr ignored him, and resigned.     The few Trump loyalist didn't have the power to carry out any request and even Trump was wise enough to know that if he fired Rosen and others and put these traitorous loyalist in their place McConnel would have to push for a conviction on the impeachment.

Otherwise why didn't Trump fire everyone that wasn't willing to assist in the coup?    

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

CNN had an opinion article on the Trump coup attempt but it was mostly positive in that,  after the election and until Jan 6th,  the vast majority of those under Trump either ignored him or refused to carry out his request.    Even Barr ignored him, and resigned.     The few Trump loyalist didn't have the power to carry out any request and even Trump was wise enough to know that if he fired Rosen and others and put these traitorous loyalist in their place McConnel would have to push for a conviction on the impeachment.

Otherwise why didn't Trump fire everyone that wasn't willing to assist in the coup?    

McConnell would never have pushed for conviction regardless of what Trump did.  

Trump probably did not fire more as someone (who knows who) probably pointed out that no matter how many he fired, he would not find anyone willing to do what he wanted.  Or else, if someone could be found that would issue a traitorous order, those under him or her would not carry it out.  Therefore Trump would come off looking even weaker and dumber than he already did.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Trump probably did not fire more as someone (who knows who) probably pointed out that no matter how many he fired, he would not find anyone willing to do what he wanted.  Or else, if someone could be found that would issue a traitorous order, those under him or her would not carry it out.  Therefore Trump would come off looking even weaker and dumber than he already did.

Yes and I would add that just because his evil scheme did not work it does not then exonerate him in any way.

He's still chipping away at it and raising tens of millions of dollars!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is only what has been revealed so far.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I understand why you have a different take on what McConnell might or might not have done.    

Your second paragraph would appear to imply that the threat of a coup is being overblown in the above Washington Post article.   I.e.  there was no way to stop Trump from asking "what if" of  "can we just do this",  (since he has no shame and would be  willing to commit or put into motion, any illegal act),  but that since "he would not find anyone willing to do what he wanted",   that their was no actual fear of a coup;   Just a lot of Trump hot-air. 

I.e.  overall the system worked;  (which was the overall take I got from the CNN article).

49 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I understand why you have a different take on what McConnell might or might not have done.    

Your second paragraph would appear to imply that the threat of a coup is being overblown in the above Washington Post article.   I.e.  there was no way to stop Trump from asking "what if" of  "can we just do this",  (since he has no shame and would be  willing to commit or put into motion, any illegal act),  but that since "he would not find anyone willing to do what he wanted",   that their was no actual fear of a coup;   Just a lot of Trump hot-air. 

I.e.  overall the system worked;  (which was the overall take I got from the CNN article).

This is the system that worked?

DA5ZX7SQP4I6XIPV7WXSRT6KSA.jpg

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree except that there was a "threat of a coup" but Trump and his acolytes could not muster enough people to actually attempt it.  The fact that a president wanted to stage a coup or even asked it if was possible is horrendous enough and deserving of severe punishment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

This is the system that worked?

DA5ZX7SQP4I6XIPV7WXSRT6KSA.jpg

The system did work in that Trump and his acolytes failed to overthrow the duly elected government of the United States.  The system did fail in that the insurrectionists got as far as they did.  Now we have to see if the American justice systems succeeds in punishing the insurrectionist and those who encouraged them.

Just think how far a well organized, efficient organization led by intelligent people (rather than the Trump rabble) might have gotten. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Is that a Bible or a medieval book of magick spells?

I think Biden needed a book of the rites of exorcism and an exorcist to remove the Trump evil that doesn’t want to leave the WH.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Arturo said:

I think Biden needed a book of the rites of exorcism and an exorcist to remove the Trump evil that doesn’t want to leave the WH.

oval-office-e1494412702812.jpg

2 hours ago, Arturo said:

Yes, a little white magic would be more ecologically responsible than fumigating the White House.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, ElCid said:

I agree except that there was a "threat of a coup" but Trump and his acolytes could not muster enough people to actually attempt it.  The fact that a president wanted to stage a coup or even asked it if was possible is horrendous enough and deserving of severe punishment.

So why isn't A.G.  Garland going after Trump?    (BTW, there is another thread about Dem disappointment with Garland).

Biden has to be aware of what Garland is NOT doing,  or Garland is following the direction Biden wants him to follow  -  which is,  it isn't in the best interest of the nation for the current DOJ to go after an ex-President.     I.e. Doing so doesn't lead to healing but instead more of a division.

Of course maybe it is just a matter of time and Garland is waiting on the state investigations to complete (e.g. in Georgia),  and the Jan 6th House Committee and then he will use the evidence from these investigations and file charges against Trump and his cronies.  

• 2 weeks later...