Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Facebook whistleblower claims site contributed to Capitol riots by turning off online safeguards too soon after 2020 election - sparking furious response from embattled tech titan

Facebook whistleblower to accuse it of enabling Capitol riot by turning off safeguards too

Facebook went into damage control Friday ahead of the interview ahead of CBS's 60 Minutes interview Sunday where the whistleblower (pictured) is expected to make fresh allegations and reveal her identity. Vice President of Policy and Global Affairs Nick Clegg sent an 1,500-word email to staff attempting to prepare them for what allegations will surface. The whistleblower will accuse her former employer of relaxing its emergency 'break glass' measures put in place in the lead-up to the election 'too soon', allowing Capitol rioters to plot the insurrection (inset) on the platform. The former employee is also expected to claim the social media giant is responsible for making America increasingly polarized. She will pin much of the blame on a change in algorithm in 2018 which makes users more likely to see posts from Facebook friends and groups. Clegg gave a lengthy defense and slammed the accusations as 'misleading'.

• Sad 1

Opinion: The revelations about Mike Pence’s role in Jan. 6 keep getting worse

Former vice president Mike Pence gives a speech in Budapest on Sept. 23. (Attila Kisbenedek/AFP via Getty Images)
Image without a caption
Opinion by 
Columnist
Today at 10:30 a.m. EDT

The meeting

Eastman met with Pence and Trump a few days before Jan. 6, the Times reports. Eastman tells the Times he suggested to Pence and his chief counsel, Greg Jacob that Pence could merely delay counting the electors.

This would kick things back to the states, where GOP legislators could send rogue electors for Trump in defiance of the popular vote and Pence could then refuse to count the real electors, triggering a contingent election in the House decided for Trump by state delegations.

• Sad 1

Biden DOJ shields ex-Trump officials from testifying about election fraud cases

A veteran Justice Department attorney paved the way for congressional testimony but limited the topics former officials were permitted to discuss.

"........The official, DOJ attorney Bradley Weinsheimer — a career official who has worked under attorneys general of both parties — cited guidance he issued in July that paved the way for congressional testimony but limited the topics former DOJ officials were permitted to discuss. But his assertions drew repeated, and sometimes pointed, challenges from Judiciary Committee aides in both parties, the transcripts show.

“It strikes me as completely within the scope of this interview,” said Sara Zdeb, chief oversight counsel for Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), after Weinsheimer intervened to block an answer from Byung Pak, a former U.S. attorney from the Atlanta area. Pak resigned on Jan. 4 under pressure from Trump to interfere in election-related matters.

The exchange, one of a dozen times that Weisenheimer blocked former officials from answering committee questions, underscores the tension facing the Biden DOJ and Attorney General Merrick Garland. Although congressional Democrats have largely hailed Garland’s willingness to make witnesses available, the interviews show that the Biden administration will still move to protect Executive Branch interests. ........

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/07/doj-shields-ex-trump-officials-515594

:wacko:

• Sad 1

Don't rule out coincidence or chance, but this is interesting
Quote Tweet

bV8OemO9_normal.jpg

Eric Garland

@ericgarland
· Oct 6
NEW: The Capitol has 658 windows. Only about a dozen weren't reinforced to be bomb-resistant. The attackers of the Jan 6 coup ran past many closer window, and ran *straight* to the few windows without the upgrade. Face with monocle https://latimes.com/politics/story/2021-10-04/jan-6-rioters-exploited-little-known-capitol-weak-spots-a-handful-of-unreinforced-windows
Show this thread

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Trump Tells Former Aides to Defy Subpoenas From Jan. 6 Panel

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/07/us/politics/jan-6-subpoenas.html

No wonder Donald Trump is so DESPERATE to get reinstated or re-elected President!  He is trying to again claim Executive Privilege so he doesn’t (continue to) get prosecuted for his many crimes.  And he tells his Aides to not testify, probably with the promise that he will pardon them once he is back on the throne.  Really desperate idiot!! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Arturo said:

No wonder Donald Trump is so DESPERATE to get reinstated or re-elected President!  He is trying to again claim Executive Privilege so he doesn’t (continue to) get prosecuted for his many crimes.  And he tells his Aides to not testify, probably with the promise that he will pardon them once he is back on the throne.  Really desperate idiot!! 

In addition, the longer they can stretch it out, they believe the more likely that the GOPers will win control of the House in 2022 and then abolish the committee.

• Sad 1
39 minutes ago, ElCid said:

In addition, the longer they can stretch it out, they believe the more likely that the GOPers will win control of the House in 2022 and then abolish the committee.

I'm not sure I'm following you here;   are you saying that GOP members in Congress believe this committee increases the odds the GOP will win control of the House in 2022?   

I ask because "the more likely" part is confusing me.

26 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I'm not sure I'm following you here;   are you saying that GOP members in Congress believe this committee increases the odds the GOP will win control of the House in 2022?   

I ask because "the more likely" part is confusing me.

Sorry.  Meant that they expect to win control of the House in 2022, but not necessarily because of this committee.  Just their aspirations.  The longer they stretch out not responding to subpoenas, requests and so forth, the more likely GOPers will be in control by the time their delays run out.

• Thanks 1

Apparently if he is convicted after appeal this is a misdemeanour.

January 6 committee confirms it WILL refer Steve Bannon for criminal contempt charges for not testifying: Democrats accuse him of 'hiding behind Trump' as Kash Patel also skips his appearance 

Jan 6 committee confirms it will refer Steve Bannon for criminal contempt charges for not

Steve Bannon insisted he would not testify before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot until the matter of former President Trump's executive privilege is settled. Bannon's lawyer on Thursday wrote a letter to the House select committee chair Rep. Bennie Thompson, reiterating to the committee that the former Trump adviser had no intention of testifying. Bannon's lawyer, Robert Costello, said that Trump's lawyer Justin Clark had informed Bannon on Wednesday that Trump would be exercising executive privilege and directed Bannon not to produce documents or testify until the matter had been settled. The letter argued that 'Bannon's position is not in defiance of your Committee's subpoena.'

• Haha 2

If Steve Bannon looks as disheveled, unkempt and scuzzy now, imagine after incarceration for awhile, when his grooming options are limited at best.  Or Donald Trump, who won’t have the wherewithal to keep that combover coif in place, much less deal adequately which his regular shhaarts.

I predict a Federal Judge will grant Trump's request that the subpoena's for White House records etc... is too broad.      While Trump typically hires idiotic and unprofessional attorneys,    the basis of denying ALL the request is based on sound legal theory (IMO);      This is based on the sheer number of request and what they are looking for,  that goes way beyond Jan 6th.     So the Judge will deny ALL of them and advise the House Legal team to draft very narrow subpoenas.     If Trump then challenges these,  the same Judge will allow them to proceed  (if they are indeed narrow and targeted only to Jan 6th).

Anyhow,  just my prediction.  

9 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I predict a Federal Judge will grant Trump's request that the subpoena's for White House records etc... is too broad.      While Trump typically hires idiotic and unprofessional attorneys,    the basis of denying ALL the request is based on sound legal theory (IMO);      This is based on the sheer number of request and what they are looking for,  that goes way beyond Jan 6th.     So the Judge will deny ALL of them and advise the House Legal team to draft very narrow subpoenas.     If Trump then challenges these,  the same Judge will allow them to proceed  (if they are indeed narrow and targeted only to Jan 6th).

Anyhow,  just my prediction.  

It was MY understanding that the Biden administration had already set those parameters you describe when they waved executive privilege.

• Like 1

Apparently about a dozen Republican law makers were not with the rest of the politicos that were in hiding on January 6.  They were in a cloak room discussing strategy to overthrow the election - while the insurrection was raging.  Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley were among them.

• Sad 2