Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Halston (2021)

jaragon

Ewan McGregor plays the gay fashion designer  Halston in this fabulous looking mini series on Netflix but unless you are really fascinated by fashion it's a bit long and would have been better as two hour movie. McGregor gives his all even in the energetic gay love scenes but Krysta Rodriguez as Liza steals all her scenes. This woman deserves to star in a movie musical.

• Like 3

I didn't mind the length because it kept my interest. It did have some "Ryan Murphy Explains It All" moments, but I guess some of that is needed to keep younger viewers up to speed. I was never interested in (or anywhere near) Studio 54 because I had access to local clubs with fabulous people minus all the money. I bet we had more fun. It's surprising how little actual fun Halston seems to have had, so he's more like an anti-hero and a cautionary tale. I agree that Liza comes off the best of anyone, though the artist Joe Eula also seems to have weathered the Halston storm pretty well too. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DougieB said:

I didn't mind the length because it kept my interest. It did have some "Ryan Murphy Explains It All" moments, but I guess some of that is needed to keep younger viewers up to speed. I was never interested in (or anywhere near) Studio 54 because I had access to local clubs with fabulous people minus all the money. I bet we had more fun. It's surprising how little actual fun Halston seems to have had, so he's more like an anti-hero and a cautionary tale. I agree that Liza comes off the best of anyone, though the artist Joe Eula also seems to have weathered the Halston storm pretty well too. 

Halston is a anti -hero I mean it's really hard to feel sorry for the guy- even the growing up gay trauma aspect of the story. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

May contain “spoilers”-I just finished this one and loved it!  I polished it off in two sittings!  I’m a big fan of druggy, show-bizzy “rise and fall” tales, and this did not disappoint.  Ewan McGregor, in the title role, smokes cigs like a house afire from beginning til end, screaming and hurling insults at many in his path.  Two scenes will always come to mind when I recall this series.  One, Halston is working with an expert in the field to develop his new perfume.  She asks him  to think of some different scents he’d like in the “mix”, so he brings in his lover’s jock strap, which she proceeds to unfold, place over her face, and inhale.  She’s a  really a good sport about it, too!   The next bit I loved concerned Halston’s telephone receiver.  He complains of a bad connection while chatting with Liza Minnelli, but after a visit from a NYTel repairman, it’s determined that the problem is not the connection.  It turns out the “mouthpiece” in his telephone receiver is merely clogged with coke.  Jackie Susann would be proud!  In fact, another scene brought to mind one of my favorite ones from Valley of the Dolls.  Halston is in a meeting, where easels are set up, displaying possible designs for his perfume bottle.  When none are to his liking, he rises from his seat, approaches the easel, and knocks them to the floor, one by one.  In Valley, when presented with 8 x 10’s she considers unflattering, Helen Lawson litters the dressing room floor with her rejects, in a similar “star fit”.  I enjoyed the scenes of the out of control Halston more than those featuring the serene one, showing a man finally learning to appreciate simple things, as well as accepting his own mortality, but  I hope the real-life Halston was able to find that peace.

• Like 1