Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

July 2021- Elvis Presley SOTM

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

It looks like the schedule is in the process of being posted. It's pretty rough looking right now.  They have the same two Elvis movies scheduled back-to-back.  I imagine that that will be fixed.  I notice in this new iteration of the schedule, all the themes are missing.  Not sure if the feed has changed or what is going on.  I am guessing that the Star of the Month is Elvis.

I know a lot of people are going to groan about Elvis being SOTM, but I for one am happy! His movies bring about a delightful amount of fluffiness (except for some of his earlier, more serious films like Jailhouse Rock and King Creole) that I find entertaining and sometimes is just what I need when I lack the mental brainpower for a more involved film.  Plus, I like Elvis' music and he's easy on the eyes and sometimes that's all I want from a movie.  I've been trying to see his films, so I'm happy that TCM is coming through with some of the titles I haven't seen yet. 

Thank you, TCM! 

From what I can discern from the rough draft, this looks to be the Noir Alley schedule:

7/3 Guilty Bystander

7/10 The Bribe

7/17 Los Tallos Amargos

7/24 Cause for Alarm!

7/31 Hollow Triumph 

Hollow Triumph would repeat during the first day of SUTS.  I wonder if that means that one of that film's stars will be honored with a day, or whether they'll forgo the customary repeat of the Noir Alley feature.

There are still a lot of gaps in the schedule, but it looks like it's coming together.

• Like 2

UGH. Another wasted month (SOTM) Cheap for TCM though, as they can show all his MGM junk cheaply....... Sorry, Joan! (Bennett) Maybe fall. I don't watch TCM much in the summer anyway....

Noir Alley looks good at least. Some films I haven't seen and a few I would like to see again.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It looks like the schedule is in the process of being posted. It's pretty rough looking right now.  They have the same two Elvis movies scheduled back-to-back.  I imagine that that will be fixed.  I notice in this new iteration of the schedule, all the themes are missing.  Not sure if the feed has changed or what is going on.  I am guessing that the Star of the Month is Elvis.

I know a lot of people are going to groan about Elvis being SOTM, but I for one am happy! His movies bring about a delightful amount of fluffiness (except for some of his earlier, more serious films like Jailhouse Rock and King Creole) that I find entertaining and sometimes is just what I need when I lack the mental brainpower for a more involved film.  Plus, I like Elvis' music and he's easy on the eyes and sometimes that's all I want from a movie.  I've been trying to see his films, so I'm happy that TCM is coming through with some of the titles I haven't seen yet. 

Thank you, TCM! 

From what I can discern from the rough draft, this looks to be the Noir Alley schedule:

7/3 Guilty Bystander

7/10 The Bribe

7/17 Los Tallos Amargos

7/24 Cause for Alarm!

7/31 Hollow Triumph 

Hollow Triumph would repeat during the first day of SUTS.  I wonder if that means that one of that film's stars will be honored with a day, or whether they'll forgo the customary repeat of the Noir Alley feature.

There are still a lot of gaps in the schedule, but it looks like it's coming together.

Probably Paul Henreid then. I doubt it would be JOAN BENNETT! (LOL).

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Probably Paul Henreid then. I doubt it would be JOAN BENNETT! (LOL).

Lol.  Maybe TCM will finally answer our pleas and schedule Joan.

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

UGH. Another wasted month (SOTM) Cheap for TCM though, as they can show all his MGM junk cheaply....... Sorry, Joan! (Bennett) Maybe fall. I don't watch TCM much in the summer anyway....

Noir Alley looks good at least. Some films I haven't seen and a few I would like to see again.

Lol.  I love Elvis.  I don't care.  I may have a high "junk" threshold though.  After all, I do love Roller Boogie, Xanadu, and Barbarella. And I love the Beach Party movies which definitely get more ridiculous with each successive sequel. 

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

As a guy, I couldn't care less about his ease on the eyes.  But, many of the girls in his flicks are!  ;)  After all, that's mostly why me and my buddies went to see his movies.  

And several were fun regardless.  

Sepiatone

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

As a guy, I couldn't care less about his ease on the eyes.  But, many of the girls in his flicks are!  ;)  After all, that's mostly why me and my buddies went to see his movies.  

And several were fun regardless.  

Sepiatone

I love a lot of Elvis' ladies as well! Many of them were gorgeous and I think lends to the glamor (I think that's the wrong word--fantasy? dreamlike? I'm not sure what word I'm looking for) of the entire production.   You've got great music, fun locations, bright colors, handsome Elvis, gorgeous women, everything.  And not only does Elvis have a gorgeous co-star, he's usually in some sort of love triangle with another beautiful co-star.  

• Like 1

Not all the selections have been added yet. As they appear on the schedule I will update this list.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 10.31.00 AM

1st of july & 2nd of july

kissin' cousins (1964) with glenda farrell
double trouble (1967) with annette day
live a little love a little (1968) with michelle carey

8th of july & 9th of july

viva las vegas (1964) with ann-margret
speedway (1968) with nancy sinatra
spinout (1966) with shelley fabares
harum scarum (1965) with mary ann mobley
stay away joe (1968) with burgess meredith
charro! (1969) with ina balin

15th of july & 16th of july

elvis: that's the way it is (1970)

22nd of july & 23rd of july

jailhouse rock (1957) with judy tyler
elvis on tour (1972)

29th of july & 30th of july

tickle me (1965) with julie adams
it happened at the world's fair (1963) with joan o'brien
the trouble with girls (1969) with marlyn mason
girl happy (1965) with shelley fabares
this is elvis (1981)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Thank you, TCM! 

7/3 Guilty Bystander

7/10 The Bribe

7/17 Los Tallos Amargos

7/24 Cause for Alarm!

7/31 Hollow Triumph 

Los Tallos Amargos is an Argentinian film said to be visually striking. It was shown at a previous TCM Festival, though I did not get to see it. I'm excited this will be on the schedule.

Lol.  I love Elvis.  I don't care.

Sounds like you'd agree with Clarence's views on Elvis that he shares in the bar in True Romance.

I notice in this new iteration of the schedule, all the themes are missing.  Not sure if the feed has changed or what is going on.

Hi, thanks for doing that.

This is another data feed, it is used on their new website.  This one appears to be "downstream" from the other - as in less detail.  I make both available just in case.  Sooner or later the other one should be ready and I'll let you know, so you can change the OP link.

• Thanks 1

Here's hoping that this July's  Elvis SOTM schedule will include the following films:

"Roustabout",     "G.I. Blues",      "Paradise Hawaiian Style",      "Fun In Acapulco",      "Frankie and Johnny",     "Kid Galahad",      "Kid Creole",     "Change of Habit",    "Blue Hawaii",    

"Love Me Tender" (Elvis' film debut),     and, last but not least,   "Loving You".    

According to the TCM film collection database, TCM has never aired "Loving You"  yet.    Isn't it high time that TCM get the leasing/broadcast rights for this one?  

We're talking Elvis,  Lizabeth Scott, and Dolores Hart in her first starring role.       For that matter, perhaps TCM could air the Dolores Hart and Elvis documentary "God is the bigger Elvis" .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

Here's hoping that this July's  Elvis SOTM schedule will include the following films:

"Roustabout",     "G.I. Blues",      "Paradise Hawaiian Style",      "Fun In Acapulco",      "Frankie and Johnny",     "Kid Galahad",      "Kid Creole",     "Change of Habit",    "Blue Hawaii",    

"Love Me Tender" (Elvis' film debut),     and, last but not least,   "Loving You".    

According to the TCM film collection database, TCM has never aired "Loving You"  yet.    Isn't it high time that TCM get the leasing/broadcast rights for this one?  

We're talking Elvis,  Lizabeth Scott, and Dolores Hart in her first starring role.       For that matter, perhaps TCM could air the Dolores Hart and Elvis documentary "God is the bigger Elvis" .

I really like LOVING YOU too!

• 3 weeks later...

Good grief.      

Among the films that I was hoping TCM would include for Elvis Presley's SOTM in July, they're only showing "Change of Habit" and "Frankie and Johnny".

According to TCM's database, it's been at least eight years since TCM aired "Love Me Tender" - Elvis' film debut.    What is TCM's problem?

In the last few years, TCM has been doing better regarding leasing films from other film studios' libraries.    There isn't any reason for TCM to stop doing so now, and to merely stick to the Time-Warner (1924-1986 MGM) library and the United Artists (1987-present MGM) library.

17 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

Good grief.      

Among the films that I was hoping TCM would include for Elvis Presley's SOTM in July, they're only showing "Change of Habit" and "Frankie and Johnny".

According to TCM's database, it's been at least eight years since TCM aired "Love Me Tender" - Elvis' film debut.    What is TCM's problem?

In the last few years, TCM has been doing better regarding leasing films from other film studios' libraries.    There isn't any reason for TCM to stop doing so now, and to merely stick to the Time-Warner (1924-1986 MGM) library and the United Artists (1987-present MGM) library.

Uh,   Love Me Tender is a 20th Century Fox and Disney recently purchased the company, along with the rights to all their films.

Fox always charged a premium leasing price to content providers for their films,  as well as,  not even leasing films once Fox started some of their own movie-related-networks.   

Disney is even more controlling when it comes to their products. 

Therefore when you say:  "There isn't any reason for TCM to stop doing so now",    you likely don't know what is taking place with the leasing of any 20th Century Fox.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,   Love Me Tender is a 20th Century Fox and Disney recently purchased the company, along with the rights to all their films.

Fox always charged a premium leasing price to content providers for their films,  as well as,  not even leasing films once Fox started some of their own movie-related-networks.   

Disney is even more controlling when it comes to their products. 

Therefore when you say:  "There isn't any reason for TCM to stop doing so now",    you likely don't know what is taking place with the leasing of any 20th Century Fox.

The same goes for Wild in The Country (1961), another Fox film which also rarely shows up in these Elvis-a-thons on TCM. I'm not a big Clifford Odets fan (screenwriter) but it's a decent film and features the actresses Hope Lange, Tuesday Weld and Millie Perkins, none of whom were treated as interchangeable arm candy for Elvis the way women in the later films were. It got to be a little like the "Bond Girl" phenomenon, with new it-girls being trotted out as co-stars for each new Elvis movie. As sepia noted above, there are fans of that formula, and I could personally watch Nancy Sinatra sing "Your Groovy Self" all day long or Ann-Margret sing anything at all, but it all got formulaic pretty quickly, especially if the women were non-singers. I always wondered if "The Colonel" was responsible for the same-oldness or if it suited Elvis himself. Ann-Margret was the only one ever allowed to duet with him onscreen, but she was also the only one who could generate the same kind of heat he did. It's all so unfortunate because Elvis was a major talent that somehow got wasted, in more ways than one. I love some of the music from the films (Springsteen did killer covers of "Follow That Dream" and "Viva Las Vegas" in his live shows.) and the music is what I turn to when I want to remember Elvis. I have to confess that when I saw he was Star of the Month my reaction was: Yeah? So?, knowing it would be mostly the usual suspects that TCM shows all the time. 

• Like 1
On 6/8/2021 at 9:39 PM, Classic aficionado said:

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to access the TCM database? I thought it was defunct. I used to go there a lot.

To jamesjazzguitar, you have a point there.    Sound like a whole lot of corporate drama behind the scenes.     At the same time, Disney acquiring Fox happened months ago, early this year.     TCM is still airing a lot of Fox films.  I can't see any decrease in the number of Fox films on TCM.     This actually makes it even more shocking to think this would be the reason for an absence of films like "Love Me Tender".    If Disney wanted to stop TCM from airing Fox films, they probably would have done so before now.     TCM has always done well with negotiating films from other libraries.    It would be a travesty for TCM to give up now.      July does have a lot of Fox and non-United Artists and non-Time-Warner films scheduled on TCM.  It's just Elvis Presley's films that seem to be getting the short end of the stick this time.      With TCM having done better with their recent SOTM tributes to Joan Crawford, Myrna Loy, Bette Davis, Lana Turner, Clark Gable, Charles Boyer, and Sidney Poitier - not just confining themselves to the Time-Warner and United Artists libraries but including them and also expanding beyond them, I simply thought that they would do the same for Elvis, that's all. 

To DougieB, the TCM database is at this link right here.    

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

It looks as though they update it rather frequently.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Classic aficionado said:

To jamesjazzguitar, you have a point there.    Sound like a whole lot of corporate drama behind the scenes.     At the same time, Disney acquiring Fox happened months ago, early this year.     TCM is still airing a lot of Fox films.  I can't see any decrease in the number of Fox films on TCM.     This actually makes it even more shocking to think this would be the reason for an absence of films like "Love Me Tender".    If Disney wanted to stop TCM from airing Fox films, they probably would have done so before now.     TCM has always done well with negotiating films from other libraries.    It would be a travesty for TCM to give up now.      July does have a lot of Fox and non-United Artists and non-Time-Warner films scheduled on TCM.  It's just Elvis Presley's films that seem to be getting the short end of the stick this time.      With TCM having done better with their recent SOTM tributes to Joan Crawford, Myrna Loy, Bette Davis, Lana Turner, Clark Gable, Charles Boyer, and Sidney Poitier - expanding beyond the Time-Warner and United Artists libraries, I simply thought that they would do the same for Elvis, that's all. 

I think we see things mostly the same on this topic.    I'm not so sure I can agree that TCM airs a lot of Fox films  (but I'm a stat guy and a lot can be interpreted in many different ways).    My gut tell me that less than 5% - 10% of the films TCM shows are from Fox,  but that is just a wild guess.     I say this since I assume 80% (or so) of the films shown are from what I call the Ted Turner library of films  (which your call Time-Warner).     

That only leaves around 20 percent for Columbia,  Fox,  Republic (which TCM almost never features),  early Paramount films,  and Universal (where TCM will pony up for their horror classics,  but not much else).

Anyhow,   I believe we have the same overall goal:  TCM lease more films from studios outside of the Turner\Time-Warner library!   

Take care.    

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Classic aficionado said:

Thank you for the link but that site is privately maintained by MovieCollectorOhio, a frequent poster here, and it's invaluable, but TCM up until fairly recently maintained a full movie database (or contracted third party services to maintain it?) similar to the IMDB. In many cases it was more helpful and detailed than the IMDB. There was an link at the top right of the TCM home page. Many TCM fans posted thoughtful (mostly) reviews and comments and it was a quick way to refresh your memory about films, directors, actors and all aspects of filmmaking. I especially liked the links to contemporary reviews from when the films were released. For a brief moment I thought you had somehow magically found a way to resurrect it. The whole thing disappeared in one of the dreaded "upgrades" a couple of years ago and I really miss it. 

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

Thank you for the link but that site is privately maintained by MovieCollectorOhio, a frequent poster here, and it's invaluable, but TCM up until fairly recently maintained a full movie database (or contracted third party services to maintain it?) similar to the IMDB. In many cases it was more helpful and detailed than the IMDB. There was an link at the top right of the TCM home page. Many TCM fans posted thoughtful (mostly) reviews and comments and it was a quick way to refresh your memory about films, directors, actors and all aspects of filmmaking. I especially liked the links to contemporary reviews from when the films were released. For a brief moment I thought you had somehow magically found a way to resurrect it. The whole thing disappeared in one of the dreaded "upgrades" a couple of years ago and I really miss it. 

When I posted those speculative percentages above the person that came to mind was MovieCollector;   Does he have stats on TCM films by studio,  by some periodic timeframe? 

This is yet another topic related to the-films-TCM -shows where actual data would be enlightening.     (like the great percent by decade stats  he provided). 

• Like 1
On 5/21/2021 at 12:39 PM, Hibi said:

It is quite amazing the  amount of screen time Elvis gets on TCM.Well you can start your month with Kissin' Cousins the Sam Katzman cheapie,the first true  rotten Presley movie.I recommend the ending where you clearly see Elvis and his 'twin' in the hay, Katzman and Parker were so cheap they did not even bother for an optical correction.  Colonel Tom Parker insisted on keeping the budget of all Elvis movies to a minimum, and a $750 optical was required to achieve the effect, the two cousins Presley plays are only seen together in the same shot once. Presley and his double appear in the immediately prior long-shot where they somersault into the hay .Incredibly  bad movie and for all the masochists down here i strongly recommend 'Tickle Me' the bottom of the barrel worthy of the Eddy Murphy's jokes,,terrible...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1