Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

July 2021- Elvis Presley SOTM

speedracer5

7 hours ago, nakano said:

It is quite amazing the  amount of screen time Elvis gets on TCM.Well you can start your month with Kissin' Cousins the Sam Katzman cheapie,the first true  rotten Presley movie.I recommend the ending where you clearly see Elvis and his 'twin' in the hay, Katzman and Parker were so cheap they did not even bother for an optical correction.  Colonel Tom Parker insisted on keeping the budget of all Elvis movies to a minimum, and a $750 optical was required to achieve the effect, the two cousins Presley plays are only seen together in the same shot once. Presley and his double appear in the immediately prior long-shot where they somersault into the hay .Incredibly  bad movie and for all the masochists down here i strongly recommend 'Tickle Me' the bottom of the barrel worthy of the Eddy Murphy's jokes,,terrible...

I may "try"to watch those two! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Mankiewicz mentioned in his outro to Clambake that Elvis himself thought it was his worst movie. It was thoroughly standard fare, but not nearly as bad as the above-mentioned Kissin' Cousins, which opened the night. Because when you think of the Smokey Mountains, you think of bikinis, right? However, I remember from one of the Elvis biographies that he was thrilled when Gene Nelson was assigned to direct Kissin' Cousins and gushed to Gene about his love for those Warner Bros. musicals in which Gene had acted, danced and choreographed. Elvis was a fanboy of musicals, so the irony that he ended up being packaged in so many that stunk to high heaven is particularly poignant.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The reddish blonde type teenage guy in Clambake?  Wasn’t he in all or some of the beach movies with Frankie Avalon and my favorite Mouseketeer Annette Funichello from Walt Disney’s The Mickey Mouse Club and it was also so cool that Dick Sargent.  The second Daren Stevens of TV’s Bewitched was in Love A Little Live A Little or Live A Little Love A Little too.  That was neat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the lineup from the week before last and that western role in that western movie Charo was a great role for Elvis.  I think and it’s also so cool that Victor French from Little House On The Prairie and Highway To Heaven.  Which he and Michael Landon did together.  Was in it with Elvis too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn’t that Howard Mcnear who was Floyd The Barber on The Andy Griffith Show in Fallow That Dream?  That was a great one too.  I loved it.  It’s also so cool that Donny Douglas.  Ellie Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies and Harry Morgan.  Kernel Potter on Mash was in Frankie And Johnny too.  He was young then and he also sounded exactly the same as he did on Mash.  Wow.  That’s really neat.  He’s also been in all kinds of movies too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for having Elvis as July’s SOTM TCM.  It was great.  Now I’ve seen a whole bunch of his movies and documentaries.  I think the only ones they didn’t show are Paradise Hawian. style.  Fun In Acapulco.  Girls Girls Girls.  Easy Come Easy Go and Love Me Tender.  Did everybody have a good time?  How about you TopBilled?  There are all kinds of people I hope to see as SOTM someday.  But I’ll wait and see who they choose.  Before I make any requests.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings