Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 hours ago, lydecker said:

Thanks, LP.  I was a bit stumped about the Theme Park Challenge and then I got an inspiration  --  Every Hitchcock film is a trip to Adventure Land!!  Glad you appreciate "Friday," as I do. I wish they had continued with that series (Eyes in the Night, The Hidden Eye) because Edward Arnold & Friday are terrific and, come to think of it  --  what an "ahead of its time" concept.

Yes, I too wish we had more of those films based on the Duncan MacLain books!

Speaking of Edward Arnold, another great performance of his is in the original TV version of 12 ANGRY MEN, starring Robert Cummings. Youtube it--it's great. Edward Arnold plays Juror #10 (played in the movie by Ed Begley Jr), and he's such a great heavy he actually makes a better "red herring" than Ed Begley Jr does in the movie, distracting us from Juror #3 (Lee J Cobb in the movie, a more dignified Franchot Tone on TV). ANyway, check it out--he's great. So is Bob Cummings as Juror #8 (Henry Fonda) in his award-winning role. In some ways I prefer Bob as #8 than Henry because the way Bob plays it. Fonda comes off as an all-knowing saint trying to persuade the other 11 to do something he knows is the right thing. But Bob Cummings seems more like a regular guy who isn't sure what the right thing is and needs to talk it through first, just as the script indicates, who himself is also gradually realizing the kid is innocent. I love Fonda and I love the film, it's just cool to see another take. I love how casting changed dynamics. Interestingly enough, two of the jurors--the old man and the European watch-maker-- are played by the same actors in both!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Yes, I too wish we had more of those films based on the Duncan MacLain books!

Speaking of Edward Arnold, another great performance of his is in the original TV version of 12 ANGRY MEN, starring Robert Cummings. Youtube it--it's great. Edward Arnold plays Juror #10 (played in the movie by Ed Begley Jr), and he's such a great heavy he actually makes a better "red herring" than Ed Begley Jr does in the movie, distracting us from Juror #3 (Lee J Cobb in the movie, a more dignified Franchot Tone on TV). ANyway, check it out--he's great. So is Bob Cummings as Juror #8 (Henry Fonda) in his award-winning role. In some ways I prefer Bob as #8 than Henry because the way Bob plays it. Fonda comes off as an all-knowing saint trying to persuade the other 11 to do something he knows is the right thing. But Bob Cummings seems more like a regular guy who isn't sure what the right thing is and needs to talk it through first, just as the script indicates, who himself is also gradually realizing the kid is innocent. I love Fonda and I love the film, it's just cool to see another take. I love how casting changed dynamics. Interestingly enough, two of the jurors--the old man and the European watch-maker-- are played by the same actors in both!

Just got YouTubeLive so I will definitely check this out.  I'm a big fan of Bob Cummings so it will be great to see his and Arnold's performances.  I've always been kind of "who cares" about Fonda though he is definitely a decent actor.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Thanks so much for the heads up about this being available on Youtube. I had always wanted to see it, but had just never gotten around to it. You're right, it was quite good, and very interesting to see some of the differences between this and the film version. With a run time of just over 50 minutes, they really had to get in and get out while hitting all the story beats, with little to no wasted motion so to speak. 

• Like 1

RED HEADS IN CINEMA!

NOVEMBER 6, 2022- NOVEMBER 13, 2022

STAR OF THE MONTH – AGNES MOORHEAD

A WEEK OF FILMS FEATURING ACTORS/ACTRESSES WITH RED HAIR

Sunday -11/6/2022

6 a.m. Naughty Marietta (1935) Jeannette McDonald and Nelson Eddy -Dir: W.S. Van Dyke, Robert Z. Leonard Studio: MGM Time:1hr 45 min Genre: Musical/Drama

7:45 a.m. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) Maureen O’Hara and Charles Laughton -Dir: William Dierterle   Studio: RKO Time: 1hr 57 min Genre: Romance/Drama

Channeling Hans Christian Andersen

9:45 a.m. Hans Christian Andersen (1952) – Danny Kaye and Farley Granger -Dir: Charles Vidor Time: 2hrs Studio: Samuel Goldwyn Genre: Musical/Family

11:45 a.m. The Red Shoes (1948) Moira Shearer, Anton Walbrook, and Marius Goring -Dir: Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger Time: 2hr 16 min Studio: UK Genre: Dance/Romance

The Team of Lemmon and MacLaine

2:00 p.m. Irma La Douce (1963) Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon -Dir. Billy Wilder Time: 2hrs 27 min Studio: United Artists Genre: Romance/Comedy

4:15 p.m. The Apartment (1960) Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon -Dir: Billy Wilder Time: 2hrs 5 min Studio: United Artists Genre: Romance/Comedy

TCM Spotlight: Widows & Widowers 6 p.m. – 12 a.m.  

6:00 p.m. The Courtship of Eddie’s Father (1963) Ron Howard and Glenn Ford -Dir: Vincente Minnelli Time: 1hr 58 min Studio: MGM Genre: Romance/Family

8:00 p.m. All That Heaven Allows (1955) Agnes Moorhead, Rock Hudson, Jane Wyatt-Dir: Douglas Sirk   Time: 1hr 29 min Studio: Universal Genre: Romance/Drama

9:30 p.m. Yours, Mines and Ours (1968) Van Johnson, Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda -Dir: Melville Shavelson Time:1hr 51 min Studio: United Artists Genre: Comedy/Drama

12 a.m. Silent Sunday – Pollyanna (1920) Mary Pickford and Howard Ralston -Dir: Paul Powell Time: 0hr 58 min Studio: United Artists Genre: Silent

1:00 a.m. Coquette (1929) Mary Pickford and Johnny Mack Brown - Dir: Sam Taylor Time: 1hr 16 min Studio: United Artists Genre: Silent

2:15 a.m. Imported: Black Narcissus (1947) Deborah Kerr, Jean Simmons, Sabu -Dir. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger Time: 1hr 42 min Studio: UK Genre: Drama

4:00 a.m. Battleground (1949) Van Johnson, Ricardo Montalban, James Whitmore - Dir: William Wellman Time: 1hr 58min Studio: MGM Genre: War/Action

Monday – 11/7/2022

Films Directed by W.S. Van Dyke – 6 a.m. – 12 p.m.

6:00 a.m. – Rose Marie (1936) Jeannette McDonald and Nelson Eddy - Dir: W.S. Van Dyke Time: 1hr 53 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Romance

8:15 a.m. – New Moon (1940) Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy - Dir: Robert Z. Leonard & W.S. Van Dyke Time:1hr 45 min Studio: MGM Musical/Romance

10:00 a.m. – San Francisco (1936) Jeannette McDonald, Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy - Dir: W.S. Van Dyke & D.W. Griffith Time: 1hr 55min Studio: MGM Genre: Romance/Drama

Ann Sheridan 12 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.

12:00 p.m. – Kings Row (1942) Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Regan - Dir: Sam Wood Time: 2hrs 7min Studio: WB Genre: Drama/Romance

2:15 p.m. – City for Conquest (1940) James Cagney, Ann Sheridan, and Pat O’Brien - Dir: Anatole Litvak & Jean Negulesco Time: 1hr 44 min Studio: WB Genre: Drama/Noir

4:15 p.m. – The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947) Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo - Dir: Norman Z. McLeod Time: 1hr 50min Studio: Samuel Goldwyn Genre: Comedy/Fantasy

6:15 p.m. – The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer (1947) Myrna Loy and Cary Grant - Dir: Sidney Sheldon Time: 1hr 35 min Studio: RKO Genre: Comedy/Romance

8:00 p.m. – Gone with the Wind (1939) Leslie Howard, Vivien Leigh, and Clark Gable - Dir: Victor Fleming   Time: 3hrs 58min   Studio: MGM Genre: Drama/Romance

12:00 a.m. – Tea and Sympathy (1956) Deborah Kerr, John Kerr, and Leif Erickson - Dir: Vincente Minelli Time: 2hrs 2 min Studio: MGM Genre: Drama

2:15 a.m. – Desert Fury (1947) Mary Astor, Burt Lancaster, John Hodiak, Lizbeth Scott - Dir: Lewis Allen Time: 1hr 36 min Studio: Paramount Genre: Noir/Crime

3:45 a.m. – Return to Peyton Place (1961) Mary Astor, Carol Lynley, Jeff Chandler - Dir: Jose Ferrer Time: 2hrs 3 min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Drama

Tuesday – 11/8/2022

6:00 am. Nora Prentiss (1947) Ann Sheridan, Kent Smith, and Bruce Bennett - Dir: Victor Sherman Time: 1hr 51min Studio: Warner Brothers Genre: Noir/Drama

8:00 a.m. The Long Gray Line (1955) Maureen O’Hara & Tyrone Power - Dir: John Ford Studio: Columbia Time: 2hrs 18 min Genre: Drama

10:15 a.m. – The 49th Parallel (1941) Leslie Howard, Laurence Olivier, Anton Walbrook - Dir: Michael Powell Time:2hrs 3 min Studio: UK General Film Genre: War/Drama

12:30 p.m. – Having a Wonderful Time (1938) Red Skelton, Lucille Ball, Ginger Rogers - Dir: Alfred Santell Time: 1hr 10 min Studio: RKO Genre: Romantic Comedy

1:45 p.m. – Three Little Words (1950) Red Skelton, Fred Astaire, Vera Ellen - Dir: Richard Thorpe Time: 1hr 42 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical Comedy

4:00 p.m. – Bye-Bye Birdie (1963) Ann-Margaret, Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke - Dir: George Sidney Time: 2hrs Studio: Columbia Genre: Musical/Comedy

6:00 p.m. Footlight Parade (1933) James Cagney, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler, Dick Powell - Dir: Busby Berkeley/Lloyd Bacon Time: 1hr 44 min Studio: WB Genre: Musical/Romance

Star of the Month: Agnes Moorhead

8:00 p.m. – Citizen Kane (1941) Agnes Moorhead, Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton - Dir: Orson Welles Time: 1hr 59min Studio: RKO Genre: Drama/Mystery

10:15 p.m. – Show Boat (1951) Agnes Moorhead, Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel - Dir: George Sidney Time: 1hr 48 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Romance

2:15 a.m. – Dark Passage (1947) Agnes Moorhead, Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall - Dir: Delmer Daves Time: 1hr 46 min Studio: Warner Brothers Genre: Noir/Crime

4:00 a.m. – Johnny Belinda (1948) Agnes Moorhead, Jane Wyman, and Lew Ayers - Dir: Jean Negulesco Time: 1hr 42 min Studio: Warner Brothers Genre: Drama

Wednesday – 11/9/2022

Born in New York City 6 a.m. – 10 a.m.

6:00 a.m. – The Kid from Brooklyn (1946) Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo  - Dir: Norman Z. McLeod Time: 1hr 53 min Studio: Samuel Goldwyn Genre: Comedy

8:00 a.m. – The West Point Story (1950) James Cagney, Virginia Mayo, and Doris Day - Dir: Roy Del Ruth Time: 1hr 47 min Studio: Warner Brothers Genre: Musical/Romance

Classi Categories:  Outrageous Personalities 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.

10:00 a.m. – Sitting Pretty (1948) Maureen O’Hara, Clifton Webb & Robert Young - Dir: Walter Lang Time: 1hr 24min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Comedy

11:45 a.m. – The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) Ann Sheridan, Bette Davis - Dir: William Keighley Time: 1hr 53 min Studio: Warner Brothers Genre: Comedy

Film Noir  Redheads 2 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

2:00 p.m. – The Maltese Falcon (1941) Mary Astor, Humphrey Bogart, Sidney Greenstreet - Dir: John Houston Time: 1hr 41 min   Studio: Warner Brothers Crime Drama/Noir

3:45 p.m. – While the City Sleeps (1956) Rhonda Fleming, Dana Andrews, Thomas Mitchell - Dir: Fritz Lang Time: 1hr 40min Studio: RKO Genre: Crime Drama/Noir

5:30 p.m. – Cry Danger (1951) Rhonda Fleming and Dick Powell - Dir: Robert Parrish Time: 2hr 3min Studio: RKO Genre: Crime/Drama/Noir

8:00 p.m. Premiere: The Help (2011) Jessica Chastain, Sissy Spacek, Bryce Dallas Howard - Dir: Tate Taylor Time: 2hrs 27 min Studio: Walt Disney Genre: Drama/Romance

Films with 2  or more Oscar Winners in them – 10:30 p.m. -4:15 a.m.

10:30 p.m. – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967) Katherine Houghton, Sidney Poitier, Spencer Tracy, & Katherine Hepburn - Dir: Stanley Kramer Time: 1hr 48 min Studio: Columbia Genre: Comedy/Drama

12:30 a.m. – The Catered Affair (1956) Debbie Reynolds, Bette Davis, Ernest Borgnine -Dir: Richard Brooks Time: 1hr 32 min Studio: MGM Genre: Drama

2:00 a.m. – I’ll Cry Tomorrow (1955) Susan Hayward, Richard Conte, Jo Van Fleet -Dir: Daniel Mann Time: 1hr 59min Studio: MGM Genre: Drama

4:15 a.m. – Of Human Bondage (1934) Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Frances Dee -Dir: John Cromwell Time:1hr 45 min Studio: RKO Genre: Drama

Thursday – 11/10/2022

Classi Categories: Associated with MGM 6 a.m. – 1 p.m.

6:00 a.m. - Whistling in the Dark (1941) – Red Skelton, Ann Rutherford, and Virginia Grey - Dir: S. Sylvan Simon Time: 1hr 18 min Studio: MGM Genre: Comedy

7:30 a.m. - Neptune’s Daughter (1949) Red Skelton, Esther Williams, Ricardo Montalban - Dir: Edward Buzzell Time: 1hr 35 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Romance

9:15 a.m. – I Love Melvin (1953) Debbie Reynolds, Donald O’Connor, Una Merkel - Dir: Don Weis Time: 1hr 17 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Comedy

10:45 a.m. – The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964) Debbie Reynolds, Harve Presnell - Dir: Charles Waters Time: 2hr 15 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Comedy

Susan Hayward 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.

1:00 p.m. – The President’s Lady (1953) Susan Hayward, Charlton Heston, John McIntire - Dir: Henry Levin Time:1hr 37 min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Romance/Drama

2:45 p.m. – David and Bathsheba (1951) Susan Hayward, Gregory Peck - Dir: Henry King Time: 2hr 3 min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Romance/Drama

5:00 p.m. – The Best Years of My Life (1945) Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Dana Andrews - Dir: William Wyler Time: 2hrs 52 min Studio: RKO Genre: Drama/War

James Cagney Featured in Biographies – 8 p.m. – 12:15 a.m.

8:00 p.m. – Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) James Cagney, Walter Houston, Joan Leslie - Dir: Michael Curtiz Time: 2hrs 6 min    Studio: Warner Brothers Genre: Musical

10:15 p.m. – Man of a Thousand Faces (1957) James Cagney, Dorothy Malone, Jane Greer - Dir:  Joseph Pevney Time: 2hrs 2 min Studio: Universal Genre: Drama

Films with 2 or more Oscar winners in them

12:15 a.m. – The Turning Point (1977) Shirley MacLaine, Anne Bancroft, Tom Skerritt - Dir: Herbert Ross Time: 1hr 59 min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Drama/Dance

2:15 a.m. – Atlantic City (1980) Susan Sarandon, Burt Lancaster - Dir. Louis Malle Time: 1hr 44 min Studio: Paramount Genre: Crime/Romance

3:45 a.m. – State of the Union (1948) Van Johnson, Spencer Tracy, & Katherine Hepburn - Dir: Frank Capra Time: 2hrs 4 min Studio: MGM Genre: Comedy/Drama

Friday 6/11/2022

6:00 a.m. – Brigadoon (1954) Van Johnson, Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse  - Dir: Vincente Minelli Time: 1hr 48 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Romance

Greer Garson 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.

8:00 a.m. – Good-bye Mr. Chips (1939) Greer Garson, Robert Donat, Paul Henreid - Dir: Sam Wood    Time: 1hr 54min     Studio: MGM Genre: Romance/Drama

10:00 a.m. – Pride and Prejudice (1940) Greer Garson, Laurence Oliver, Edmund Gwenn - Dir: Robert Z. Leonard Time: 1hr 58 min Studio: MGM Genre: Romance/Drama

12:00 p.m. – Three Daring Daughters (1948) Jeannette McDonald and Nelson Eddy - Dir: Fred M. Wilcox Time: 1hr 55 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Romance

Maureen O’Hara  and John Ford 2 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.

2:00 p.m. – How Green Was My Valley (1941) Maureen O’Hara & Roddy McDowall -Dir: John Ford Time: 2hrs 2 min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Drama

4:15 p.m. – The Quiet Man (1952) Maureen O’Hara, John Wayne & Ward Bond - Dir: John Ford Time: 2hr 9 min Studio: Republic Pictures Genre: Romance/Drama

6:30 p.m. – Rawhide (1951) Susan Hayward, Tyrone Power, Hugh Marlowe - Dir: Henry Hathaway Time: 1hr 29min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Western/Romance

8:00 p.m. – From Here to Eternity (1953) Deborah Kerr, Burt Lancaster, and Frank Sinatra - Dir: Fred Zimmerman Time: 1hr 58 min Studio: Columbia Pictures Genre: War/Romance

10:00 p.m. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) Rhonda Fleming, Burt Lancaster - Dir: John Sturges Time: 2hrs 2 min Studio: Paramount Genre: Western/Drama

12:15 a.m. – The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon, Raymond Massey - Dir: Harold Young Time: 1hr 37min Studio: United Artists Genre: Adventure/Drama

TCM: Underground/Cult

2:00 a.m. Valley of the Dolls (1967) Susan Hayward, Patty Duke, Sharon Tate - Dir: Mark Robson Time: 2hrs 3 min Studio: 20th Century Fox Genre: Drama/Romance

4:00 a.m. – The Hurricane (1937) Mary Astor, Jon Hall, Dorothy Lamour, Raymond Massey - Dir: John Ford Time: 1hr 50 min Studio: United Artists Genre: Adventure/Romance

Saturday – 11/12/2022

Van Johnson - 6 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.

6:00 a.m. – Thrill of the Romance (1945) Van Johnson and Esther Williams - Dir: Richard Thorpe Time:1hr 45 min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Romance

8:00 a.m. – Weekend at the Waldorf (1945) Van Johnson, Ginger Rogers, and Lana Turner - Dir: Robert Z. Leonard Time: 2hrs 10 min Studio: MGM Genre: Drama

10:15 a.m. – The Story of Three Loves (1953) Moira Shearer, James Mason, Leslie Caron - Dir: Gottfried Reinhardt & Vincente Minelli Time: 2hrs 2 min Studio: MGM                                      Genre: Romance/Drama

12:30 p.m. – The Music Man (1962) Ron Howard, Shirley Jones, and Robert Preston - Dir: Morton DaCosta Time: 2hrs 31 min Studio: Warner Brothers Genre: Musical/Comedy

3:45 p.m. – Viva Las Vegas (1964) Ann-Margret and Elvis Presley - Dir: George Sidney Time: 1hr 30min Studio: MGM Genre: Musical/Romance

5:15 p.m. –How the West Was Won (1962) Debbie Reynolds, Agnes Moorhead, Gregory Peck - Dir: George Marshall, Henry Hathaway, and John Ford                                                                          Time: 2hrs 44 min Studio: MGM Genre: Western/Epic

8:00 p.m. – Essential: Mrs. Miniver (1942) – Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Teresa Wright -Dir: William Wyler Time: 2hrs 14 min Studio: MGM Genre: Romance/War                 

10:15 p.m. Magnificent Obsession (1954) Agnes Moorhead, Jane Wyman, and Rock Hudson - Dir: Douglas Sirk Time: 1hr 48 min Studio: Universal Pictures Genre: Romance/Drama

12:15 a.m. – Noir Alley: Out of the Past (1947) Rhonda Fleming, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas - Dir: Jacques Tourneur Time: 1hr 37 min Studio: RKO Genre: Noir/Crime

2:00 a.m. – The Caine Mutiny (1954) Van Johnson, Humphrey Bogart and Fred MacMurray - Dir: Edward Dmytryk Time: 2hrs 5 min Studio: MGM Genre: War/Drama

4:15 a.m. – The Shootist (1976) Ron Howard, John Wayne, Lauren Bacall - Dir: Don Siegel   Time:1hr 40 min Studio: Paramount Pictures Genre: Western

Sunday 11/13/2022

6:00 a.m. – Dodsworth (1936) Mary Astor, Ruth Chatterton, Walter Houston - Dir: William Wyler Time: 1hr 41 min Studio: United Artists Genre: Drama/Romance

• Like 3

REDHEADS IN THE CINEMA

All of these film feature actors and actresses who are natural redheads.

Mary Astor

James Cagney

Jessica Chastain

Rhonda Fleming

Greer Garson

Susan Hayward

Katherine Houghton

Leslie Howard

Ron Howard

Bryce Dallas Howard

Van Johnson

Danny Kaye

Deborah Kerr

Myrna Loy

Ann Margaret

Shirley MacLaine

Jeannette McDonald

Agnes Moorhead

Maureen O’Hara

Mary Pickford

Debbie Reynolds

Susan Sarandon

Moira Shearer

Ann Sheridan

Red Skelton

Sissy Spacek

• Like 3
On 6/28/2021 at 1:22 PM, Oneeyeopen said:

REDHEADS IN THE CINEMA

All of these film feature actors and actresses who are natural redheads.

Mary Astor

James Cagney

Jessica Chastain

Rhonda Fleming

Greer Garson

Susan Hayward

Katherine Houghton

Leslie Howard

Ron Howard

Bryce Dallas Howard

Van Johnson

Danny Kaye

Deborah Kerr

Myrna Loy

Ann Margaret

Shirley MacLaine

Jeannette McDonald

Agnes Moorhead

Maureen O’Hara

Mary Pickford

Debbie Reynolds

Susan Sarandon

Moira Shearer

Ann Sheridan

Red Skelton

Sissy Spacek

This is so clever, oneeyeopen! A whole week's worth of redheads jam packed with ClassiCategories too! So many talented redheads! I loved how Lucille Ball had no shame about her dyed hair and joked about it all the time of I LOVE LUCY.

Thanks LonesomePolecat,

Imagine my sadness to find that Rita Hayworth, Lucille Ball, Russ Tamblyn and Jane Powell weren't natural redheads.

This was really a challenge, first finding a theme then tracking down my redheaded actors. Luckily, my favorite actor of all-time, Jimmy Cagney is a redhead and that made it fun. I don't believe Agnes Moorhead was ever Star of the Month, so I gave her the title for that week. She proved to be a versatile actress appearing in films from various studios.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, Oneeyeopen said:

RED HEADS IN CINEMA!

NOVEMBER 6, 2022- NOVEMBER 13, 2022

STAR OF THE MONTH – AGNES MOORHEAD

A WEEK OF FILMS FEATURING ACTORS/ACTRESSES WITH RED HAIR

As a redhead myself, I wholeheartedly endorse this schedule! Welcome to the Programming Challenge Oneeyeopen. Nice job, hope you had fun!

• Like 3

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #45

SUNDAY 23 JANUARY 2022 through SATURDAY 29 JANUARY 2022

SUNDAY 23 JANUARY 2022

TCM SPOTLIGHT: NOBODY READS ANYMORE: FILMS WITH LITERARY BEGINNINGS

6:00a -- It Happened One Night (1934). Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connelly; dir Frank Capra.  Columbia Pictures, 105 min. P/S

7:45a -- Random Harvest (1942). Ronald Colman, Greer Garson, Philip Dorn; dir Mervyn LeRoy. MGM, 126 min. P/S

10:00a -- Of Mice and Men (1939). Burgess Meredith, Betty Field, Lon Cheney, Jr.; dir Lewis Milestone. Hal Roach Studios, 106 min. P/S

12:00p -- Carrie (1952). Laurence Olivier, Jennifer Jones, Miriam Hopkins; dir William Wyler. Paramount,118 min. P/S

2:00p -- Great Expectations (1946). John Mills, Tony Wager, Valerie Hobson; dir David Lean. Cineguild, 118 min. P/S

4:00p -- The Great Gatsby (1974). Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern; dir Jack Clayton. Newdon Productions/Paramount, 144 min. P/S

6:30p-- The Maltese Falcon (1931). Bebe Daniels, Ricardo Cortez, Dudley Digges; dir Roy Del Ruth. Warner Bros., 80 min. P/S

8:00p -- Jude (1996). Christopher Eccleston, Kate Winslet, Liam Cunningham; dir Michael Winterbottom. BBC Films/BBC/Polygram/Revolution Films, 123 min. PREMIERE

10:15p -- The Old Maid (1939). Bette Davis, Miriam Hopkins, George Brent; dir Edmund Goulding. Warner Bros., 95 min. P/S

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS

12:00a -- Rumpelstiltskin: A Fairy Story (1914). Clyde Tracy, Elizabeth Burbridge, Kenneth Brown; dir Thomas H. Ince. New York Motion Picture Company, 45 min. EXEMPT PREMIERE

12:45a -- The Last of the Mohicans (1920). Wallace Beery, Barbara Bedford, Alan Roscoe; dir Clarence Brown, Maurice Tourneur. Maurice Tourneur Productions, 73 min. P/S

TCM IMPORTS

2:00a -- Tristana (1970). Catherine Deneuve, Fernando Rey, Franco Nero; dir Luis Buñuel. Les Films Corona [fr]; Selenia Cinematografica [it]; Talía Films [es]; Época Films [es] 105 min. P/S

3:45a -- The Trial (1962). Anthony Perkins, Arnoldo Foà, Jess Hahn; dir Orson Welles. Finanziaria Cinematografica Italiana [it]; Hisa-Film [de]; Paris-Europa Productions [fr], 107 min. P/S

5:45a -- The Alphabet (1968). Peggy Lynch; dir David Lynch. Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, 4 min. P/S

MONDAY 24 JANUARY 2022

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: CHITA RIVERA

6:00a -- Sweet Charity (1969). Shirley MacLaine, John McMartin, Ricardo Montalban; dir Bob Fosse. United Artists, 154 min. P/S

8:45a -- Chicago (2002). Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger, Richard Gere; dir Rob Marshall. Miramax, 113 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: ANN TODD

10:45a -- The Paradine Case (1947). Gregory Peck, Ann Todd, Charles Laughton; dir Alfred Hitchcock. The Selznick Studio; Vanguard Films, 132 min. P/S

1:00p -- Madeleine (1950). Ann Todd, Norman Wooland, Ivan Desny; dir David Lean. Cineguild [gb], 101 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: ERNEST BORGNINE

2:30p -- Jubal (1956). Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, Rod Steiger; dir Delmer Daves. Columbia, 100 min. P/S

4:15p -- The Badlanders (1958). Alan Ladd, Ernest Borgnine, Katy Jurado; dir Delmer Daves. Arcola Pictures, 85 min. P/S

5:45p -- The Revengers (1972). William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Woody Strode; dir Daniel Mann. Cinema Center Films; Estudios Churubusco Azteca [mx], 106 min. PREMIERE

JACKS ARE WILD

8:00p -- 12 Angry Men (1957). Martin Balsam, John Fiedler, Lee J. Cobb; dir Sidney Lumet. Orion-Nova Productions, 96 min. P/S

9:45p -- Days of Wine and Roses (1962). Jack Lemmon, Lee Remick, Charles Bickford; dir Blake Edwards. Jalem Productions, 117 min. P/S

11:45p -- Phffft (1954). Judy Holliday, Jack Lemmon, Jack Carson; dir Mark Robson. Columbia, 88 min. P/S

1:15a -- The April Fools (1969). Jack Lemmon, Catherine Deneuve, Peter Lawford; dir Stuart Rosenberg. Jalem Productions, 95 min. P/S

3:00a -- Thanks for Everything (1938). Adolphe Menjou, Jack Oakie, Jack Haley; dir William A. Seitar. Fox, 70 min. PREMIERE

4:15a -- Navy Blues (1941). Ann Sheridan, Jack Oakie, Martha Raye; dir Lloyd Bacon. Warner Bros., 108 min. P/S

TUESDAY 25 JANUARY 2022

SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 1: ClassiCategories — Twenty-Fourth Category: Established Stars Who Helped Future Stars Get Started in the Movies (aka: MENTORS)

6:15a -- Without Love (1945). Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, Lucille Ball; dir Harold S. Bucquet. MGM, 111 min. P/S

8:15a -- Adam’s Rib (1949). Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, Judy Holliday; dir George Cukor. MGM, 101 min. P/S

10:00a -- The Gift of Love (1958). Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack, Evelyn Rudie; dir Jean Negulesco. Fox, 105 min. P/S

11:45a -- Young Man with a Horn (1950). Kirk Douglas, Lauren Bacall, Doris Day; dir Michael Curtiz. Warner Bros., 112 min. P/S

1:45p -- The Millionaire (1931). George Arliss, Florence Arliss, David Manners; dir John G. Adolfi. Warner Bros., 80 min/ P/S

3:15p -- A Successful Calamity (1932). George Arliss, Mary Astor, Evelyn Knapp; dir John G. Adolfi. Warner Bros., 72 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: DEAN JONES

4:30p -- The Ugly Dachshund (1966). Dean Jones, Suzanne Pleshette, Charles Ruggles; dir Norman Tokar. Walt Disney Productions, 93 min. P/S

6:15p -- The Shaggy D.A. (1976). Dean Jones, Tim Conway, Suzanne Pleshette; dir Robert Stevenson. Walt Disney Productions, 90 min. P/S

7:45p -- Are Animals Actors? (1945). Knox Manning, Rennie Renfro; prod Gordon Hollingshead. Warner Bros., 14 min. P/S

STAR OF THE MONTH and SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 2: ANIMAL ACTORS: RIN TIN TIN

8:00p -- The Man from Hell’s River (1922). Irving Cummings, Wallace Beery; dir Irving Cummings. Irving Cummings Productions, 75 min. EXEMPT PREMIERE

9:15p -- My Dad (1922). Johnnie Walker, Wilbur Higby, Mary Redmond; dir Clifford Smith. Robertson-Cole Pictures Corp., 60 min. EXEMPT PREMIERE

10:15p -- Where the North Begins (1923). Rin Tin Tin, Claire Adams, Fred Huntley; dir Chester M. Franklin. Warner Bros., 60 min. PREMIERE

11:15p -- Find Your Man (1924). Rin Tin Tin, June Marlowe, Eric St. Clair; dir Malcolm St. Clair. Warner Bros., 70 min. PREMIERE

STARS IN FUR COATS

12:30a -- The Incredible Journey (1963). Émile Gerest, John Drainie, Tommy Tweed; dir Fletcher Markle. Cangary; Walt Disney Productions, 80 min. P/S

2:00a -- Ring of Bright Water (1969). Bill Travers, Virginia McKenna, Peter Jeffrey; dir Jack Couffer. Brightwater Film Production [gb]; Palomar Pictures International, 107 min. P/S

4:00a -- Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar (1967). Ron Brown, Russell Brian, Linda Wallace; dir Winston Hibler. Walt Disney Productions, 75 min. P/S

5:15a -- A Tale of Two Critters (1977). Mayf Nutter; dir Jack Speirs. Walt Disney Productions, 48 min. P/S

WEDNESDAY 26 JANUARY 2022

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: JOAN LESLIE

6:15a -- The Hard Way (1943). Ida Lupino, Dennis Morgan, Joan Leslie; dir Vincent Sherman. Warner Bros., 109 min. P/S

8:15a -- Repeat Performance (1947). Louis Hayward, Joan Leslie, Virginia Field; dir Alfred L. Werker. Bryan Foy Productions, 91 min. P/S

10:00a -- Thieves Fall Out (1941). Eddie Albert, Joan Leslie, Jane Darwell; dir Ray Enright. Warner Bros., 72 min. P/S

11:15a -- The Great Mr. Nobody (1941). Eddie Albert, Joan Leslie, Alan Hale; dir Benjamin Stoloff. Warner Bros., 71 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: PAUL NEWMAN

12:30p -- Sometimes a Great Notion (1971). Paul Newman, Henry Fonda, Lee Remick; dir Paul Newman. Newman-Foreman Company; Universal, 114 min. P/S

2:30p -- Pocket Money (1972). Paul Newman, Lee Marvin, Strother Martin; dir Stuart Rosenberg. Coleytown Productions; First Artists, 102 min. P/S

4:15p -- The MacKintosh Man (1973). Paul Newman, Dominique Sanda, James Mason; dir John Huston. Newman-Foreman Company, 98 min. P/S

6:00p -- Quintet (1979). Paul Newman, Vittorio Gassman, Fernando Rey; dir Robert Altman. Lion’s Gate Films, 118 min. PREMIERE

CINEMATOGRAPHY BY JAMES WONG HOWE

8:00p -- Hud (1963). Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal; dir Martin Ritt. Paramount; Salem-Dover Productions, 112 min. P/S

10:00p -- The Rose Tattoo (1955). Anna Magnani, Burt Lancaster, Marisa Pavan; dir Daniel Mann. Hal Wallis Productions, 117 min. P/S

12:00a -- Kings Row (1942). Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Reagan; dir Sam Wood. Warner Bros., 127 min. P/S

2:15a -- Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940). Raymond Massey, Gene Lockhart, Ruth Gordon; dir John Cromwell. Max Gordon Plays and Pictures Corporation; RKO, 110 min. P/S

4:15a -- Algiers (1938). Charles Boyer, Sigrid Gurie, Hedy Lamarr; dir John Cromwell. Walter Wanger Productions, 96 min. P/S

THURSDAY 27 JANUARY 2022

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: SABU

6:00a -- Jungle Book (1942). Sabu, Joseph Calleia, John Qualen; dir Zoltan Korda. Alexander Korda Films, 108 min. P/S

8:00a -- The Thief of Bagdad (1940). Conrad Veidt, Sabu, June Duprez; dir Ludwig Berger, Alexander Korda, Zoltan Korda, William Cameron Menzies, Michael Powell, Tim Whelan. Alexander Korda Films; London Film Productions [gb], 106 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: DONNA REED

10:00a -- Scandal Sheet (1952). Broderick Crawford, Donna Reed, John Derek; dir Phil Karlson. Columbia; Motion Picture Investors, 82 min. P/S

11:30a -- Raiders of the Seven Seas (1953). John Payne, Donna Reed, Gerald Mohr; dir Sidney Salkow. Global Pictures, 88 min. P/S

LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE

1:00p -- The Set-Up (1949). Robert Ryan, Audrey Totter, George Tobias; dir Robert Wise. RKO, 73 min. P/S

2:15p -- Gentleman Jim (1942). Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, Jack Carlson; dir Raoul Walsh. Warner Bros., 104 min. P/S

4:15p -- Champion (1949). Kirk Douglas, Marilyn Maxwell, Arthur Kennedy; dir Mark Robson. Screen Plays; Stanley Kramer Productions, 99 min. P/S

6:00p -- Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956). Paul Newman, Pier Angeli, Everett Sloane; dir Robert Wise. MGM, 113 min. P/S

EAT YOUR PEAS, AND PASS THE MacGUFFIN

8:00p -- Kiss Me Deadly (1955). Ralph Meeker, Albert Dekker, Paul Stewart; dir Robert Aldrich. Parklane Pictures Inc., 104 min. P/S

10:00p -- The Ipcress File (1965). Michael Caine, Nigel Green, Guy Doleman; dir Sidney J. Furie. Lowndes Productions Limited [gb]; The Rank Organisation [gb]; Steven S.A., 109 min. P/S

12:00a -- The Lady Vanishes (1938). Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Paul Lukas; dir Alfred Hitchcock. Gainsborough Pictures [gb], 96 min. P/S

1:45a -- The Trouble with Harry (1955). Edmund Gwenn, John Forsyth, Mildred Natwick; dir Alfred Hitchcock. Alfred J. Hitchcock Productions, 99 min. P/S

3:30a -- The Double McGuffin (1979). Dion Pride, Greg Hodges, Jeff Nicholson; Dir Joe Camp. Mulberry Square Productions, 101 min, PREMIERE

5:15a -- Men Who Made the Movies: Alfred Hitchcock (1973). Dir Richard Schickel. The American Cinematheque, 57 min. PREMIERE

FRIDAY 28 JANUARY 2022

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: MARY BOLAND

6:15a -- Three Cornered Moon (1933). Claudette Colbert, Richard Arlen, Mary Boland; dir Elliott Nugent. Paramount, 77 min. P/S

7:45a -- Ruggles of Red Gap (1935). Charles Laughton, Mary Bland, Charles Ruggles; dir Leo McCarey. Paramount, 90 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: ALAN ALDA

9:15a -- Paper Lion (1968). Alan Alda, Lauren Hutton, Joe Schmidt; dir Alex March. Stuart Miller Productions, 107 min. P/S

11:15a -- Same Time, Next Year (1978). Alan Alda, Ellen Burstyn, Ivan Bonar; dir Robert Mulligan. The Mirisch Corporation; Universal Pictures, 119 min. P/S

LET’S MAKE A RUN FOR IT

1:15p -- Run for Cover (1955). James Cagney, Viveca Lindfors, John Derek; dir Nicholas Ray. Pine-Thomas Productions, 93 min. P/S

3:00p -- The Runaway (1961). Cesar Romero, Roger Mobley, Anita Page; dir Claudio Guzmán, 85 min. P/S

4:30p -- Run Lola Run (1998). Franka Potente, Moritz Bleibtreu, Herbert Knaup; dir Tom Tykwer. Arte [fr]; Westdeutscher Rundfunk [de]; X-Filme Creative Pool [de] 80 min. P/S

SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 3: TCM THEME PARK: YOU CAN’T GET THERE FROM HERE

6:00p -- Erik the Viking (1989). Tim Robbins, Mickey Rooney, Eartha Kitt; dir Terry Jones. KB Erik the Viking [gb]; Prominent Features [gb]; Svensk Filmindustri [sw], 107 min. EXEMPT PREMIERE

8:00p -- Lost Horizon (1937). Ronald Colman, Jane Wyatt, Edward Everett Horton; dir Frank Capra. Columbia, 95 min. P/S

10:15p -- A Matter of Life and Death (1946). David Niven, Kim Hunter, Robert Coote; dir Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger. The Archers [gb], 104 min. P/S

12:00a -- Brigadoon (1954). Gene Kelly, Van Johnson, Cyd Charisse; dir Vincente Minnelli. MGM, 108 min. P/S

TCM UNDERGROUND

2:00a -- The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988). John Neville, Eric Idle, Sarah Polley; dir Terry Gilliam. Prominent Features [gb]; Laura Film [de]; Allied Filmmakers [gb], 126 min. EXEMPT PREMIERE

4:15a -- Time Bandits (1981). John Cleese, Sean Connery, Shelley Duvall; dir Terry Gilliam. HandMade Films [gb], 110 min. P/S

SATURDAY 29 JANUARY 2022

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: KATHERINE ROSS

6:15a -- Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (1969). Robert Redford, Katherine Ross, Robert Blake; dir Abraham Polonsky. Universal, 98 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: VICTOR MATURE

8:00a -- I Wake Up Screaming (1941). Betty Grable, Victor Mature, Carole Landis; dir H. Bruce Humberstone. Fox, 82 min. P/S

9:30a -- Kiss of Death (1947). Victor Mature, Brian Donlevy, Coleen Gray; dir Henry Hathaway. Fox, 99 min. P/S

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: W.C. FIELDS

11:15a -- Never Give a Sucker an Even Break (1941). W.C. Fields, Gloria Jean, Leon Errol; fir Edward F. Cline. Universal, 71 min. P/S

12:30p -- It’s a Gift (1934). W.C. Fields, Kathleen Howard, Jean Rouverol; dir Norman R. McLeod. Paramount, 68 min. P/S

HAVE A DRINK ON ME

1:45p -- The Lost Weekend (1945). Ray Milland, Jane Wyman, Phillip Terry; dir Billy Wilder. Paramount, 101 min. P/S

3:30p -- Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966). Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, George Segal; dir Mike Nichols. Chenault Productions, Warner Bros., 131 min. P/S

5:45p -- Our Man in Havana (1959). Alec Guinness, Burl Ives, Maureen O’Hara; dir Carol Reed. Columbia; Kingsmead Productions [gb], 111 min. P/S

7:30p -- The Idle Class (1921). Charles Chaplin, Edna Purviance; dir Charles Chaplin. Charles Chaplin Productions, 29 min. P/S

THE ESSENTIALS

8:00p -- Greed (1924). ZaSu Pitts, Gibson Gowland, Jean Hersholt; dir Erich von Stroheim. MGM, 239 min. P/S

NOIR ALLEY

12:00a -- He Ran All the Way (1951). John Garfield, Shelly Winters, Wallace Ford; dir John Berry. Roberts Pictues Inc., 77 min. P/S

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

1:30a -- Seven Angry Men (1955). Raymond Massey, Debra Paget, Jeffrey Hunter; dir Charles Marquis Warren. Allied Artists, 90 min. P/S

3:00a -- The Jayhawkers! (1959). Jeff Chandler, Fess Parker, Nicole Maurey; dir Frank Melvin. Paramount, 100 min. PREMIERE

4:45a -- Quantrill’s Raiders (1958). Steve Cochran, Diane Brewster, Leo Gordon; dir Edward Bernds. Allied Artists, 68 min. P/S

• Like 3

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #45 — PROGRAMMING NOTES

TCM SPOTLIGHT: NOBODY READS ANYMORE: FILMS WITH LITERARY BEGINNINGS

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: Rumpelstiltskin: A Fairy Story (1914)

TCM IMPORTS: Tristana (1970), and The Trial (1962)

SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 1: ClassiCategories — Twenty-Fourth Category: Established Stars Who Helped Future Stars Get Started in the Movies (aka: MENTORS)

STAR OF THE MONTH and SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 2: ANIMAL ACTORS: Rin Tin Tin

SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 3: TCM THEME PARK: YOU CAN’T GET THERE FROM HERE

TCM UNDERGROUND: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988), and Time Bandits (1981)

THE ESSENTIALS: Greed (1924)

NOIR ALLEY: He Ran All the Way (1951)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FILMS BY DECADE:

1900-1910 —   0                  1961-1970 —  16

1911-1920 —   2                  1971-1980 —  10

1921-1930 —   6                  1981-1990 —    3

1931-1940 — 15                 1991-2000 —    2

1941-1950 — 23                 2001-2010 —    1

1951-1960 — 19                 2011-2021 —    0

PREMIERES:

1. Jude (1996)

Rumpelstiltskin: A Fairy Story (1914) [exempt]

2. The Revengers (1972)

3. The April Fools (1969)

4. Thanks for Everything (1938)

The Man from Hell’s River (1922) [exempt]

My Dad (1922) [exempt]

5. Where the North Begins (1923)

6. Find Your Man (1924)

7. Quintet (1979)

8. The Double MacGuffin (1979)

9. Men Who Made the Movies: Alfred Hitchcock (1973)

Erik the Viking (1989) [exempt]

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen [exempt]

10. The Jayhawkers! (1959)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

🎬 TCM SPOTLIGHT: Spotlight films are programmed for the entirety of Sunday, including straight through SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS and TCM IMPORTS. All films are based on novels, novellas, short stories, or fairy tales. Several other films in this week’s program are from novels as well. A programming theme such as this could go on, and on.

It Happened One Night (1934) — “Night Bus”, short story by Samuel Hopkins Adams, 1933

Random Harvest (1942) — James Hilton’s novel, 1941

Of Mice and Men (1939) — John Steinbeck’s novel, 1937

Carrie (1952) — Theodore Dreiser’s novel, Sister Carrie, 1900

Great Expectations (1946) — Charles Dickens’ novel, 1861

The Great Gatsby (1974) — F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel, 1925

The Maltese Falcon (1931) — Dashiell Hammett’s novel, 1930

Jude (1996) — Thomas Hardy’s novella Jude the Obscure, 1895

The Old Maid (1939) — Edith Wharton’s novel, 1924

Rumpelstiltskin: A Fairy Story (1914) — German fairy tale, collected by Brothers Grimm, 1812

The Last of the Mohicans (1920) — James Fenimore Cooper’s novel, 1826

Tristana (1970) — Benito Pérez Gablós’ novel, 1892

The Trial (1962) — Franz Kafka’s novel, 1925

🎬 JACKS ARE WILD: All films in this category feature at least two actors named Jack.

12 Angry Men (1957) — Jack Klugman, Jack Warden

Days of Wine and Roses (1962) — Jack Lemmon and Jack Klugman

Phffft (1954) — Jack Lemmon and Jack Carson

The April Fools (1969) — Jack Lemmon, Jack Weston

Thanks for Everything (1938) — Jack Oakie, Jack Haley

Navy Blues (1941) — Jack Haley, Jack Oakie, Jack Carson, Jackie Gleason

🎬 SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 1: ClassiCategories — Twenty-Fourth Category: Established Stars Who Helped Future Stars Get Started in the Movies (aka: MENTORS)

Three pairs of films, each beginning with a film featuring an actor/actress who championed a newcomer to the business, then a film with both those actors working together.

Katherine Hepburn championed Judy Holliday.

Lauren Bacall championed Kirk Douglas.

George Arliss championed Randolph Scott.

🎬 STAR OF THE MONTH and SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 2: ANIMAL ACTORS: Rin Tin Tin

With 2022 we mark the 100th anniversary of Rin Tin Tin in the movies, and it’s a perfect opportunity to feature him as Star of the Month. This category combines the STAR OF THE MONTH and the SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO.2: ANIMAL ACTORS.

Following the Star of the Month block is a group titled STARS IN FUR COATS. My vision is that each week the Rin Tin Tin films would be followed by a block of films with other animal “guest stars”. There are plenty of dogs, cats, mules, bears, otters, wolves, and more from which to choose.

The Incredible Journey (1963) — Syn as Tao the cat, Muffy as Bodger the Bull Terrier, Rink as Luath the Labrador retriever

Ring of Bright Water (1969) — otters

Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar (1967) — cougar

A Tale of Two Critters (1977) — raccoon and bear cub

🎬 CINEMATOGRAPHY BY JAMES WONG HOWE

Films featured here all received Academy Award nods for Howe.

Hud (1963) — win

The Rose Tattoo (1955) — win

Kings Row (1942) — nominated

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)— nominated

Algiers (1938) — nominated

🎬 LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE

I borrowed this signature line from Michael Buffer, famed ring announcer, to introduce a group of boxing pictures.

🎬 EAT YOUR PEAS, AND PASS THE MacGUFFIN

Is it a spoiler to reveal the MacGuffin in each of these films? Probably not, but….

🎬 LET’S MAKE A RUN FOR IT

A group of films in which the characters are running from, or toward, something or someone.

🎬 SPECIAL CHALLENGE NO. 3: TCM THEME PARK: YOU CAN’T GET THERE FROM HERE

The challenge statement: “As long as you can’t visit it in real life, you can put it in the theme park.” Cool.

Erik the Viking (1989) — Valhalla (not to mention falling off the edge of the Earth)

Lost Horizon (1937) — Shangri-La

A Matter of Life and Death (1946) — Heaven

Brigadoon (1954) — Brigadoon (you know, wherever that is)

🎬 HAVE A DRINK ON ME

Some hardcore drinking goes on in this group of films, but to lighten things up a bit I did add that great mini-bottle checkers game, along with some Chaplin. Cheers!

🎬 THE ESSENTIALS

No such thing as seeing Greed (1924) too many times, in my opinion. It’s from the Frank Norris novel, McTeague (1899), one of my favorites.

🎬 NOIR ALLEY

“Everybody gets to the point where they draw the line.”

🎬 AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

(“To the stars through difficulty.”)

This group of films see Kansas on her way to statehood, which she achieved on 29 January 1861. Happy birthday, Kansas! (I chose to program this week specifically because it contains Kansas Day, which also happens to be my birthday.)

🎬 BIRTHDAY TRIBUTES

• Like 3

BunnyWhit, this is so great! I love the MacGuffins, Rin Tin Tin, Alan Alda, mentors, your literary spotlight, James Wong Howe, and stars in fur coats. All  of it!

I want to go to your theme park. Who wouldn’t want to visit heaven and ride on some clouds or see Valhalla? Shangri La is so great I wish I thought of it myself. I’ve always wanted to visit Brigadoon for real. What an opportunity for live performances!

Thanks, Polecat. With the theme park, I see tons of great opportunities for costume and set designers to really shine. Would I want to visit these places? Sure. Would I want to come back? Hmmmm.....

• Like 1

Over Easy's Schedule.

I am going to follow up  with  my notes tomorrow, but wanted to get this under the deadline!  Hope you enjoy...

TCM Programming Challenge #45

Week of November 13, 2022

Sunday, November 13

Challenge #3 – TCM Theme Park

“Noir Park:  We Won’t Leave The Lights On For You”

6 AM The Narrow Margin (1952) Charles McGraw, Marie Windsor Dir: Richard Fleischer. RKO, 71 min. p/s

7:15 AM City For Conquest (1940) James Cagney, Ann Sheridan. Dir: Anatole Litvak. WB, 104 min. p/s

9:00 AM Ace In The Hole (1951) Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling. Dir: Billy Wilder. PAR, 111 min. p/s

11:00 Secret Beyond the Door (1947) Joan Bennett, Michael Redgrave. Dir: Fritz Lang. Wanger/Universal, 99 min. p/s

That Weird Little Guy on My Knee.  Ventriloquists.

12:45 PM Magic (1978) Anthony Hopkins, Ann Margret. Dir: Richard Attenborough. FOX, 107 min. p/s

3:00 PM The Great Gabbo (1929) Erich von Stroheim, Betty Compson, Dir: James Cruze. James Cruze Prods., 92 min. Premiere

4:30PM The Unholy Three (1930) Lon Chaney, Lila Lee. Dir: Jack Conway. MGM, 72 min. p/s

6:30 PM The Unholy Three (1925) Lon Chaney, Mae Busch Dir: Tod Browning. MGM, 86 min. p/s

Cliffhangers (of another sort…)

8PM The Unguarded Hour (1936) Franchot Tone, Loretta Young. Dir: Sam Wood. MGM, 87 min. p/s

9:30PM The Uninvited (1939) Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey. Dir: Lewis Allen. PAR, 99 min. p/s

11:00PM They Won’t Believe Me (1947 ) Robert Young, Susan Hayward Dir: Irving Pichel. RKO, 95 min. p/s

Silent Sunday Night

12:45AM Dante’s Inferno (1911) Salvatore Papa, Arturo Paviano. Dir: Francesco Bertolini. Milano Film, 71 min. Exempt

2AM The Student of Prague (1913) Paul Wegener, Grete Berger. Dir: Paul Wegener. Deutsche Bioscop GmbH, 83 min. (restored version) Exempt

TCM Imports

3:30AM Diabolique (1955)  Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot. Dir: Henri-Georges Clouzot. Filmsonor. 117 min. p/s

5:30AM Summer with Monika (1953) Harriet Andersson, Lars Ekborg. Dir: Ingmar Bergman. SF, 96 min. p/s

Monday, November 14

Fred McMurray;  The Car Won’t Start!

7:15 AM Pushover (1954) Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak. Dir: Richard Quine. COL, 88 min. p/s

8:45 AM Double Indemnity (1944) Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck. Dir: Billy Wilder. PAR, 107 min. p/s

Guest Programmer

Moe Williams (Thelma Ritter in Pickup On South Street)

10:45 AM Sudan (1945) Maria Montez, John Hall. Dir: John Rawlins. UNV, 76 min. Premiere

12:15 PM Oliver Twist (1948) Robert Newton, Alec Guiness. Dir: David Lean. Cineguild, 116 min. p/s

2:15 PM Sidewalks of London (1938) Charles Laughton, Vivien Leigh. Dir: Tim Whelan. Mayflower, 85 min. p/s

3:45 PM New Adventures of Get Rich Quick Wallingford (1931 ) William Haines, Jimmy Durante. Dir: Sam Wood. MGM, 95 min. p/s

Bill & Kay 

5:30 PM For the Defense (1930) William Powell, Kay Francis. Dir:  John Cromwell. PAR, 65 min. p/s

6:45 PM Jewel Robbery (1932) William Powell, Kay Francis. Dir:  William Dieterle. WB, 68 min. p/s

Happy 100th Birthday, Veronica Lake

8 PM So Proudly We Hail (1943) Veronica Lake, Claudette Colbert Dir: Mark Sandrich, PAR, 126 min. p/s

10:15 PM The Blue Dahlia (1946) Veronica Lake, Alan Ladd. Dir: George Marshall. PAR, 96 min. p/s

12 AM This Gun for Hire (1942) Veronica Lake Alan Ladd. Dir: Frank Tuttle, PAR, 81 min. p/s

1:30 AM Sullivan’s Travels (1941) Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake. Dir:  Preston Sturges. PAR, 90 min. p/s

3 AM I Married a Witch (1942) Fredric March, Veronica Lake. Dir:  Rene Clair. PAR, 77 min. p/s

4:30 AM Saigon (1948) Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake. Dir:  Leslie Fenton. PAR, 93 min. p/s

Tuesday, November 15

Lies and Lying Liars

6:15 AM Thou Shall Not Lie (1915) William Garwood, Mersereau. Dir:  Clem Easton. UNIV, 20 min. Short

6:45 AM The Great Lie (1941) Bette Davis, George Brent. Dir:  Edmund Goulding. WB, 108, p/s

8:45 AM The Wonderful Lies of Nina Petrovna (1929) Brigette Hellm, Francis Lederer. Dir:  Hanns Schwarz. Universum Film AG, 102 min. Premiere

10:30 AM The Maltese Falcon (1941) Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor. Dir:  John Huston. WB, 101 min. p/s

Are You Buying This Accent?

12:15 PM Man Hunt (1941) Walter Pidgeon, Joan Bennett. Dir:  Fritz Lang. FOX, 105 min. p/s

2 PM The Lady from Shanghai (1947) Orson Wells, Rita Hayworth. Dir:  Orson Wells. COL, 88 min. p/s

3:30 PM White Cargo (1942) Hedy Lamarr, Walter Pidgeon. Dir:  Richard Thorpe. MGM, 88 min. p/s

5 PM Braveheart (1995) Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau. Dir:  Mel Gibson. Icon Ent., 178 min. p/s 

This is all going downhill, fast. Skiing in Movies.

8 PM Downhill Racer (1969) Robert Redford, Gene Hackman. Dir:  Michael Ritchie. PAR, 101 min. p/s

9:45 PM The Heroes of Telemark (1965) Kirk Douglas, Richard Harris. Dir:  Anthony Mann. Benton Films, 131 min.  p/s

12 AM Northern Pursuit (1943) Errol Flynn, Julie Bishop. Dir:  Raoul Walsh. WB, 93 min. p/s

1:45 AM Ski Patrol (1990) Roger Rose, Yvonne Nipar. Dir:  Richard Cornell. Epic Prod., 91 min. Premiere

3:30 AM Spellbound (1945) Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck. Dir:  Alfred Hitchcock. 111 min. p/s

A Benchley Quartet

5:30 AM How to Sublet (1939) Robert Benchley 8 min., p/s, How to Train a Dog (1936) Robert Benchley 8 min. p/s, How to Sleep (1935) Robert Benchley 11 min. p/s, How To Start the Day (1937) Robert Benchley 10 min. p/s

Wednesday, November 16

Sell Outs

6 AM The Candidate (1972) Robert Redford, Peter Boyle. Dir:  Michael Ritchie. Redford-Ritchie Prod., 110 min. p/s

8 AM 1984 (1984) John Hurt, Richard Burton. Dir:  Michael Radford. Virgin Films, 110 min. Premiere

10 AM Sunset Boulevard (1950) William Holden, Gloria Swanson. Dir:  Billy Wilder. PAR, 115 min. p/s

12 PM Rosemary’s Baby (1968) Mia Farrow, John Cassavetes. Dir:  Roman Polanski. PAR, 136 min. p/s

A Salute to Jack Cardiff

2:30 PM The Red Shoes (1948) Moira Shearer, Anton Walbrook. Dir:  Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger .Gen. Film, 133 min. p/s

4:45 PM Intent to Kill (1958) Richard Todd, Betsy Drake. Dir:  Jack Cardiff. FOX, 88 min. p/s

6:15 PM Sons and Lovers (1960) Trevor Howard, Dean Stockwell. Dir:  Jack Cardiff. Jerry Wald Prod., 103 min. p/s

SOTM Charles Laughton

8 PM Payment Deferred (1932) Charles Laughton, Maureen O’Sullivan. Dir: Lothar Mendes. MGM, 81 min. p/s

9:30 PM The Big Clock (1948) Charles Laughton, Ray Milland. Dir: John Farrow. PAR, 95 min. p/s

11:15 PM Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) Charles Laughton, Mary Boland. Dir:  Leo McCarey. PAR, 90 min. p/s

12:45 AM Advise & Consent (1962) Charles Laughton, Henry Fonda. Dir: Otto Preminger. Otto Preminger Films, 139 min. p/s

3:15 AM Witness for the Prosecution (1957) Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power. Dir: Billy Wilder. Edward Small Prods., 116 min. p/s

5:15 AM The Suspect (1944) Charles Laughton, Ella Raines. Dir: Robert Siodmak. UNV, 85 min. p/s

Thursday, November 17

Challenge #1  --  Classic Categories

Stars That Had Their Own Radio Series

Don Ameche  --  The BIckersons (1946-1951)

6:45 AM The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939) Don Ameche,  Loretta Young. Dir:  Irving Cummings. Fox, 98 min. p/s 

Ann Sothern -- The Adventures of Maisie (1945-1947; 1949-1952)

8:30 AM Maisie (1939) Ann Sothern, Robert Young. Dir:  Edwin Marin. MGM, 75 min. p/s

Howard Duff -- The Adventures of Sam Spade (1946-1950)

9:45 AM Private Hell 36 (1954) Howard Duff, Ida Lupino. Dir:  Don Siegel. The Filmmakers, 81 min. Exempt Premiere

William Bendix -- The Life of Riley (1944-1951)

11:15 AM Macao (1952) William Bendix, Robert Mitchum. Dir:  Josef von Sternberg. RKO, 81 min. p/s

Jean Hersholt-- Dr. Christian (1937-1954)

12:45 PM Meet Dr. Christian (1939) Jean Hersholt, Dorothy Lovett. Dir:  Bernard Vorhaus. RKO, 68 min. p/s

Nothin’ Could Be Finer Than Eating at the Diner

2 PM Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1974) Ellen Burstyn, Kris Kristofferson. Dir:  Martin Scorcese. WB, 112 min. p/s

4 PM Diner (1982) Steve Guttenberg, Daniel Stern. Dir:  Barry Levinson. MGM, 110 min. p/s

6 PM Back to the Future (1985) Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd. Dir:  Robert Zemeckis. UNIV, 116 min. p/s

Brothers in the Biz

Ricardo & Stanley Cortez

8 PM Midnight Mary (1933) Loretta Young, Ricardo Cortez. Dir:  William Wellman. MGM, 74 min. p/s

9:15 PM The Night of the Hunter (1955) Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters. Dir:  Charles Laughton. UA. 92 min. p/s (Cinematography by Stanley Cortez)

John & Lionel Barrymore

11 PM Twentieth Century (1934) John Barrymore, Carole Lombard. Dir:  Howard Hawks. COL, 91 min. p/s

12:45 AM One Man’s Journey (1933) Lionel Barrymore, May Robson. Dir:  John S. Robertson. RKO, 72 min. p/s

Joseph & Herman Mankiewicz

2 AM The Pride of the Yankees (1942) Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright. Dir:  Sam Wood. Samuel Goldwyn Prod., 128 min. p/s

4:15 AM All About Eve (1950) Bette Davis, Anne Baxter. Dir:  Joseph L. Mankiewicz. FOX, 138 min. p/s

Friday, November 18

Trust No One

6:45 AM Three Days of the Condor (1975) Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway. Dir:  Sydney Pollack. PAR, 118 min. p/s

8:45 AM Ten Little Indians (1965) Hugh O’Brien , Shirley Eaton. Dir:  George ****. Tenlit Films, 91 min. p/s

10:30 AM Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter. Dir:  Don Siegel. 80 min. p/s

12 PM The Parallax View (1974) Warren Beatty, Hume Cronyn. Dir:  Alan J. Pakula. PAR, 102 min. p/s

Challenge #2  --  Animal Actors and the Stars Who Owned Them

1:45 PM National Velvet (1944) Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney. Dir:  Clarence Brown. MGM, 123 min. p/s “The Pie”

4 PM High Sierra (1941) Humphrey Bogart,  Ida Lupino. Dir:  Raoul Walsh. WB, 100 min., p/s “Pard”

5:45 PM My Pal Trigger (1946) Roy Rogers, Dale Evans. Dir:  Frank McDonald. REP, 79 min. p/s “Trigger” 

7:15PM The Taking of Luke McVane (1915) William S. Hart, Enid Markey. Dir:  William S. Hart. 20 min. (Short) Exempt Premiere “Fritz”

7:35 PM Knight of the Trail (1915) William S. Hart, Leona Hutton. Dir:  William S. Hart. 24 min. (Short) Exempt Premiere “Fritz”

TCM Spotlight  --  Cult Films

8 PM This is Spinal Tap (1984) Christopher Guest, Michael McKean. Dir:  Rob Reiner. Spinal Tap Prod., 82 min. p/s

9:30 PM The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon. Dir:  Jim Sharman. Michael White Productions, 100 min. Premiere

11:15 PM Freaks (1932) Wallace Ford, Leila Hyams. Dir:  Tod Browning. MGM, 64 min. p/s

12:30 AM Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959) Gregory Walcott, Mona McKinnon. Dir:  Ed Wood, Jr. Reynolds Pictures, 79 min. p/s

TCM Underground

2 AM The Hands of Orlac (1960) Mel Ferrer, Christopher Lee. Dir:  Edmond T. Greville. Pendennis Films Ltd. 95 min. Exempt

3:45 AM Zardoz (1974) Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling. Dir:  John Boorman. John Boorman Prod. 105 min. Exempt

5:30 AM MGM Parade

Saturday, November 19

Everybody Out of the Pool

6 AM The Swimmer (1968) Burt Lancaster, Janet Landgard. Dir:  Frank Perry. COL, 95 min. p/s

7:45 AM Cat People (1942) Simone Simon, Kent Smith. Dir:  Jacques Tourneur. RKO, 73 min. p/s

9 AM The Graduate (1967) Anne Bancroft, Dustin Hoffman. Dir:  Mike Nichols. Lawrence Truman Prod., 106 min. p/s

11 AM The Philadelphia Story (1940) Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant. Dir:  George Cukor. MGM, 112 min. p/s

Men with Spectacles

1 PM Feet First (1930) Harold Lloyd, Barbara Kent. Dir:  Clyde Bruckman/HaroldLloyd. The Harold Lloyd Company, 93 min. p/s

2:45 PM The Barefoot Executive (1971) Kurt Russell, Wally Cox. Dir:  Robert Butler. Walt Disney Productions, 96 min. p/s

4:30 PM Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Tommy Noonan. Dir:  Howard Hawks. FOX, 91 min. p/s

6:15 PM Fast Company (1938) Melvyn Douglas, Florence Rice, George Zucco. Dir:  Edward Buzzell. MGM, 75 min. p/s

7:30 PM MGM Parade

A Salute to Cinematographer, John Alonzo

8 PM Chinatown 1974) Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway. Dir:  Roman Polanski. PAR, 131 min. p/s The Essential

10:15 PM Farewell, My Lovely (1975) Robert Mitchum, Charlotte Rampling. Dir:  Dick Richards. ITC Ent., 95 min. p/s

Noir Alley

12 AM The Reckless Moment (1949) Joan Bennett, James Mason. Dir:  Max Ophuls. Walter Wanger Prod., 82 min. p/s

A Salute to Mischa Auer  --  The Mad Russian

1:30 AM My Man Godfrey (1936) William Powell, Carole Lombard. Dir:  Gregory La Cava. UNIV, 95 min. p/s

3:15 AM You Can’t Take It with You (1938) Jean Arthur, Lionel Barrymore. Dir:  Frank Capra. COL, 126 min. p/s

• Like 3
12 hours ago, overeasy said:

Over Easy's Schedule.

I am going to follow up  with  my notes tomorrow, but wanted to get this under the deadline!  Hope you enjoy...

Week of November 13, 2022

Sunday, November 13

Challenge #3 – TCM Theme Park

“Noir Park:  We Won’t Leave The Lights On For You”

6 AM The Narrow Margin (1952) Charles McGraw, Marie Windsor Dir: Richard Fleischer. RKO, 71 min. p/s

7:15 AM City For Conquest (1940) James Cagney, Ann Sheridan. Dir: Anatole Litvak. WB, 104 min. p/s

9:00 AM Ace In The Hole (1951) Kirk Douglas, Jan Sterling. Dir: Billy Wilder. PAR, 111 min. p/s

11:00 Secret Beyond the Door (1947) Joan Bennett, Michael Redgrave. Dir: Fritz Lang. Wanger/Universal, 99 min. p/s

That Weird Little Guy on My Knee.  Ventriloquists.

12:45 PM Magic (1978) Anthony Hopkins, Ann Margret. Dir: Richard Attenborough. FOX, 107 min. p/s

3:00 PM The Great Gabbo (1929) Erich von Stroheim, Betty Compson, Dir: James Cruze. James Cruze Prods., 92 min. Premiere

4:30PM The Unholy Three (1930) Lon Chaney, Lila Lee. Dir: Jack Conway. MGM, 72 min. p/s

6:30 PM The Unholy Three (1925) Lon Chaney, Mae Busch Dir: Tod Browning. MGM, 86 min. p/s

Cliffhangers (of another sort…)

8PM The Unguarded Hour (1936) Franchot Tone, Loretta Young. Dir: Sam Wood. MGM, 87 min. p/s

9:30PM The Uninvited (1939) Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey. Dir: Lewis Allen. PAR, 99 min. p/s

11:00PM They Won’t Believe Me (1947 ) Robert Young, Susan Hayward Dir: Irving Pichel. RKO, 95 min. p/s

Silent Sunday Night

12:45AM Dante’s Inferno (1911) Salvatore Papa, Arturo Paviano. Dir: Francesco Bertolini. Milano Film, 71 min. Exempt

2AM The Student of Prague (1913) Paul Wegener, Grete Berger. Dir: Paul Wegener. Deutsche Bioscop GmbH, 83 min. (restored version) Exempt

TCM Imports

3:30AM Diabolique (1955)  Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot. Dir: Henri-Georges Clouzot. Filmsonor. 117 min. p/s

5:30AM Summer with Monika (1953) Harriet Andersson, Lars Ekborg. Dir: Ingmar Bergman. SF, 96 min. p/s

Monday, November 14

Fred McMurray;  The Car Won’t Start!

7:15 AM Pushover (1954) Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak. Dir: Richard Quine. COL, 88 min. p/s

8:45 AM Double Indemnity (1944) Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck. Dir: Billy Wilder. PAR, 107 min. p/s

Guest Programmer

Moe Williams (Thelma Ritter in Pickup On South Street)

10:45 AM Sudan (1945) Maria Montez, John Hall. Dir: John Rawlins. UNV, 76 min. Premiere

12:15 PM Oliver Twist (1948) Robert Newton, Alec Guiness. Dir: David Lean. Cineguild, 116 min. p/s

2:15 PM Sidewalks of London (1938) Charles Laughton, Vivien Leigh. Dir: Tim Whelan. Mayflower, 85 min. p/s

3:45 PM New Adventures of Get Rich Quick Wallingford (1931 ) William Haines, Jimmy Durante. Dir: Sam Wood. MGM, 95 min. p/s

Bill & Kay 

5:30 PM For the Defense (1930) William Powell, Kay Francis. Dir:  John Cromwell. PAR, 65 min. p/s

6:45 PM Jewel Robbery (1932) William Powell, Kay Francis. Dir:  William Dieterle. WB, 68 min. p/s

Happy 100th Birthday, Veronica Lake

8 PM So Proudly We Hail (1943) Veronica Lake, Claudette Colbert Dir: Mark Sandrich, PAR, 126 min. p/s

10:15 PM The Blue Dahlia (1946) Veronica Lake, Alan Ladd. Dir: George Marshall. PAR, 96 min. p/s

12 AM This Gun for Hire (1942) Veronica Lake Alan Ladd. Dir: Frank Tuttle, PAR, 81 min. p/s

1:30 AM Sullivan’s Travels (1941) Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake. Dir:  Preston Sturges. PAR, 90 min. p/s

3 AM I Married a Witch (1942) Fredric March, Veronica Lake. Dir:  Rene Clair. PAR, 77 min. p/s

4:30 AM Saigon (1948) Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake. Dir:  Leslie Fenton. PAR, 93 min. p/s

Tuesday, November 15

Lies and Lying Liars

6:15 AM Thou Shall Not Lie (1915) William Garwood, Mersereau. Dir:  Clem Easton. UNIV, 20 min. Short

6:45 AM The Great Lie (1941) Bette Davis, George Brent. Dir:  Edmund Goulding. WB, 108, p/s

8:45 AM The Wonderful Lies of Nina Petrovna (1929) Brigette Hellm, Francis Lederer. Dir:  Hanns Schwarz. Universum Film AG, 102 min. Premiere

10:30 AM The Maltese Falcon (1941) Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor. Dir:  John Huston. WB, 101 min. p/s

Are You Buying This Accent?

12:15 PM Man Hunt (1941) Walter Pidgeon, Joan Bennett. Dir:  Fritz Lang. FOX, 105 min. p/s

2 PM The Lady from Shanghai (1947) Orson Wells, Rita Hayworth. Dir:  Orson Wells. COL, 88 min. p/s

3:30 PM White Cargo (1942) Hedy Lamarr, Walter Pidgeon. Dir:  Richard Thorpe. MGM, 88 min. p/s

5 PM Braveheart (1995) Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau. Dir:  Mel Gibson. Icon Ent., 178 min. p/s 

This is all going downhill, fast. Skiing in Movies.

8 PM Downhill Racer (1969) Robert Redford, Gene Hackman. Dir:  Michael Ritchie. PAR, 101 min. p/s

9:45 PM The Heroes of Telemark (1965) Kirk Douglas, Richard Harris. Dir:  Anthony Mann. Benton Films, 131 min.  p/s

12 AM Northern Pursuit (1943) Errol Flynn, Julie Bishop. Dir:  Raoul Walsh. WB, 93 min. p/s

1:45 AM Ski Patrol (1990) Roger Rose, Yvonne Nipar. Dir:  Richard Cornell. Epic Prod., 91 min. Premiere

3:30 AM Spellbound (1945) Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck. Dir:  Alfred Hitchcock. 111 min. p/s

A Benchley Quartet

5:30 AM How to Sublet (1939) Robert Benchley 8 min., p/s, How to Train a Dog (1936) Robert Benchley 8 min. p/s, How to Sleep (1935) Robert Benchley 11 min. p/s, How To Start the Day (1937) Robert Benchley 10 min. p/s

Wednesday, November 16

Sell Outs

6 AM The Candidate (1972) Robert Redford, Peter Boyle. Dir:  Michael Ritchie. Redford-Ritchie Prod., 110 min. p/s

8 AM 1984 (1984) John Hurt, Richard Burton. Dir:  Michael Radford. Virgin Films, 110 min. Premiere

10 AM Sunset Boulevard (1950) William Holden, Gloria Swanson. Dir:  Billy Wilder. PAR, 115 min. p/s

12 PM Rosemary’s Baby (1968) Mia Farrow, John Cassavetes. Dir:  Roman Polanski. PAR, 136 min. p/s

A Salute to Jack Cardiff

2:30 PM The Red Shoes (1948) Moira Shearer, Anton Walbrook. Dir:  Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger .Gen. Film, 133 min. p/s

4:45 PM Intent to Kill (1958) Richard Todd, Betsy Drake. Dir:  Jack Cardiff. FOX, 88 min. p/s

6:15 PM Sons and Lovers (1960) Trevor Howard, Dean Stockwell. Dir:  Jack Cardiff. Jerry Wald Prod., 103 min. p/s

SOTM Charles Laughton

8 PM Payment Deferred (1932) Charles Laughton, Maureen O’Sullivan. Dir: Lothar Mendes. MGM, 81 min. p/s

9:30 PM The Big Clock (1948) Charles Laughton, Ray Milland. Dir: John Farrow. PAR, 95 min. p/s

11:15 PM Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) Charles Laughton, Mary Boland. Dir:  Leo McCarey. PAR, 90 min. p/s

12:45 AM Advise & Consent (1962) Charles Laughton, Henry Fonda. Dir: Otto Preminger. Otto Preminger Films, 139 min. p/s

3:15 AM Witness for the Prosecution (1957) Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power. Dir: Billy Wilder. Edward Small Prods., 116 min. p/s

5:15 AM The Suspect (1944) Charles Laughton, Ella Raines. Dir: Robert Siodmak. UNV, 85 min. p/s

Thursday, November 17

Challenge #1  --  Classic Categories

Stars That Had Their Own Radio Series

Don Ameche  --  The BIckersons (1946-1951)

6:45 AM The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939) Don Ameche,  Loretta Young. Dir:  Irving Cummings. Fox, 98 min. p/s 

Ann Sothern -- The Adventures of Maisie (1945-1947; 1949-1952)

8:30 AM Maisie (1939) Ann Sothern, Robert Young. Dir:  Edwin Marin. MGM, 75 min. p/s

Howard Duff -- The Adventures of Sam Spade (1946-1950)

9:45 AM Private Hell 36 (1954) Howard Duff, Ida Lupino. Dir:  Don Siegel. The Filmmakers, 81 min. Exempt Premiere

William Bendix -- The Life of Riley (1944-1951)

11:15 AM Macao (1952) William Bendix, Robert Mitchum. Dir:  Josef von Sternberg. RKO, 81 min. p/s

Jean Hersholt-- Dr. Christian (1937-1954)

12:45 PM Meet Dr. Christian (1939) Jean Hersholt, Dorothy Lovett. Dir:  Bernard Vorhaus. RKO, 68 min. p/s

Nothin’ Could Be Finer Than Eating at the Diner

2 PM Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1974) Ellen Burstyn, Kris Kristofferson. Dir:  Martin Scorcese. WB, 112 min. p/s

4 PM Diner (1982) Steve Guttenberg, Daniel Stern. Dir:  Barry Levinson. MGM, 110 min. p/s

6 PM Back to the Future (1985) Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd. Dir:  Robert Zemeckis. UNIV, 116 min. p/s

Brothers in the Biz

Ricardo & Stanley Cortez

8 PM Midnight Mary (1933) Loretta Young, Ricardo Cortez. Dir:  William Wellman. MGM, 74 min. p/s

9:15 PM The Night of the Hunter (1955) Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters. Dir:  Charles Laughton. UA. 92 min. p/s (Cinematography by Stanley Cortez)

John & Lionel Barrymore

11 PM Twentieth Century (1934) John Barrymore, Carole Lombard. Dir:  Howard Hawks. COL, 91 min. p/s

12:45 AM One Man’s Journey (1933) Lionel Barrymore, May Robson. Dir:  John S. Robertson. RKO, 72 min. p/s

Joseph & Herman Mankiewicz

2 AM The Pride of the Yankees (1942) Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright. Dir:  Sam Wood. Samuel Goldwyn Prod., 128 min. p/s

4:15 AM All About Eve (1950) Bette Davis, Anne Baxter. Dir:  Joseph L. Mankiewicz. FOX, 138 min. p/s

Friday, November 18

Trust No One

6:45 AM Three Days of the Condor (1975) Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway. Dir:  Sydney Pollack. PAR, 118 min. p/s

8:45 AM Ten Little Indians (1965) Hugh O’Brien , Shirley Eaton. Dir:  George ****. Tenlit Films, 91 min. p/s

10:30 AM Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter. Dir:  Don Siegel. 80 min. p/s

12 PM The Parallax View (1974) Warren Beatty, Hume Cronyn. Dir:  Alan J. Pakula. PAR, 102 min. p/s

Challenge #2  --  Animal Actors and the Stars Who Owned Them

1:45 PM National Velvet (1944) Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney. Dir:  Clarence Brown. MGM, 123 min. p/s “The Pie”

4 PM High Sierra (1941) Humphrey Bogart,  Ida Lupino. Dir:  Raoul Walsh. WB, 100 min., p/s “Pard”

5:45 PM My Pal Trigger (1946) Roy Rogers, Dale Evans. Dir:  Frank McDonald. REP, 79 min. p/s “Trigger” 

7:15PM The Taking of Luke McVane (1915) William S. Hart, Enid Markey. Dir:  William S. Hart. 20 min. (Short) Exempt Premiere “Fritz”

7:35 PM Knight of the Trail (1915) William S. Hart, Leona Hutton. Dir:  William S. Hart. 24 min. (Short) Exempt Premiere “Fritz”

TCM Spotlight  --  Cult Films

8 PM This is Spinal Tap (1984) Christopher Guest, Michael McKean. Dir:  Rob Reiner. Spinal Tap Prod., 82 min. p/s

9:30 PM The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon. Dir:  Jim Sharman. Michael White Productions, 100 min. Premiere

11:15 PM Freaks (1932) Wallace Ford, Leila Hyams. Dir:  Tod Browning. MGM, 64 min. p/s

12:30 AM Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959) Gregory Walcott, Mona McKinnon. Dir:  Ed Wood, Jr. Reynolds Pictures, 79 min. p/s

TCM Underground

2 AM The Hands of Orlac (1960) Mel Ferrer, Christopher Lee. Dir:  Edmond T. Greville. Pendennis Films Ltd. 95 min. Exempt

3:45 AM Zardoz (1974) Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling. Dir:  John Boorman. John Boorman Prod. 105 min. Exempt

5:30 AM MGM Parade

Saturday, November 19

Everybody Out of the Pool

6 AM The Swimmer (1968) Burt Lancaster, Janet Landgard. Dir:  Frank Perry. COL, 95 min. p/s

7:45 AM Cat People (1942) Simone Simon, Kent Smith. Dir:  Jacques Tourneur. RKO, 73 min. p/s

9 AM The Graduate (1967) Anne Bancroft, Dustin Hoffman. Dir:  Mike Nichols. Lawrence Truman Prod., 106 min. p/s

11 AM The Philadelphia Story (1940) Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant. Dir:  George Cukor. MGM, 112 min. p/s

Men with Spectacles

1 PM Feet First (1930) Harold Lloyd, Barbara Kent. Dir:  Clyde Bruckman/HaroldLloyd. The Harold Lloyd Company, 93 min. p/s

2:45 PM The Barefoot Executive (1971) Kurt Russell, Wally Cox. Dir:  Robert Butler. Walt Disney Productions, 96 min. p/s

4:30 PM Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Tommy Noonan. Dir:  Howard Hawks. FOX, 91 min. p/s

6:15 PM Fast Company (1938) Melvyn Douglas, Florence Rice, George Zucco. Dir:  Edward Buzzell. MGM, 75 min. p/s

7:30 PM MGM Parade

A Salute to Cinematographer, John Alonzo

8 PM Chinatown 1974) Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway. Dir:  Roman Polanski. PAR, 131 min. p/s The Essential

10:15 PM Farewell, My Lovely (1975) Robert Mitchum, Charlotte Rampling. Dir:  Dick Richards. ITC Ent., 95 min. p/s

Noir Alley

12 AM The Reckless Moment (1949) Joan Bennett, James Mason. Dir:  Max Ophuls. Walter Wanger Prod., 82 min. p/s

A Salute to Mischa Auer  --  The Mad Russian

1:30 AM My Man Godfrey (1936) William Powell, Carole Lombard. Dir:  Gregory La Cava. UNIV, 95 min. p/s

3:15 AM You Can’t Take It with You (1938) Jean Arthur, Lionel Barrymore. Dir:  Frank Capra. COL, 126 min. p/s

Overeasy’s Schedule   --  Challenge #45

Week of September November 13 - November 19, 2022

SOTM:  Charles Laughton

TCM Spotlight:  Cult Films

Silent Sunday Night:  Dante’s Inferno (1911) The Student of Prague (1913)

TCM Imports:  Diabolique (1955) and Summer With Monika (1953)

TCM Underground:  The Hands of Orlac (1960) & Zardoz (1974)

The Essential:  Chinatown (1974)

Noir Alley:  The Reckless Moment (1949) SAT.

Challenge #1:  Stars That Had Their Own Radio Series

Challenge #2:  Animal Actors and the Stars Who Owned Them

Challenge #3:  TCM Theme Park: Noir Park

Premieres:

The Great Gabbo (1929)

Sudan (1945)

The Wonderful Lies of Nina Petrovna (1929)

1984 (1984)

Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Ski Patrol (1990)

Exempt Premieres:

Dante’s Inferno (1911)

The Student of Prague (1913)

Private Hell 36 (1954)

The Taking of Luke McVane (1915)

Knight of the Trail (1915)

The Hands of Orlac (1960)

Zardoz (1974)

Decades:

1910s:  5

1920s:  3

1930s:  20

1940s:  29

1950s:  15

1960s:  9

1970s:  11

1980s:  4

1990s:  2

2000s:  0

2010s:  0

Program notes, etc....

Sunday kicks off with one of the three challenges, in this case I bring you — TCM Noir Park, where the theme is “We Won’t Leave The Lights On For You!”  Yes, it’s dark and scary, including a frightening train attraction (Narrow Margin) and a circus of hellish noir in the desert. (Ace In The Hole) We then move on to ventriloquists, where you’re never quite sure who’s really talking!  Primetime features “cliffhangers” where getting too close to the edge can be a very big mistake!  Silent Sunday Night highlights two films that you’ll need to watch with the lights on — and my TCM Imports are there to both frighten — and delight.

Monday starts, or doesn’t start too well, as Fred MacMurray tries to get cars to turn over.  He has more luck in Double Indemnity than in Pushover, but I find the fact that he was asked to do this same thing in two movies — just odd!  Then it’s time for my Guest Programmer, in this case “Moe Williams” the character portrayed by Thelma Ritter in Pickup On South Street.  Moe “picks” some great films where her fellow band of thieves, pickpockets in this case, ply their trade. Then we’re on to two films by two of my favorites, William Powell and Kay Francis. Jewel Robbery in particular is a high-light 🙂  Veronica Lake is our birthday girl.  Despite a rather tumultuous personal and professional life, she left us with some wonderful performances, as well as a classic hairdo.

Tuesday we start out lying right from the start, and include one of the great lying ladies of filmdom, Brigid O’Shaughnessy. It’s then time to listen, but not too carefully, to some cases where actors were asked to do an accent, and failed horribly!  We strap on the boards for a salute to skiing, starting in primetime.  If you’d like to “read more about it,” I’d highly recommend “The Winter Fortress,” which is a more recent non-fiction retelling of the “Telemark” story.

Wednesday begins with a look at “sell outs” of various types. Whether you’re selling your soul to the devil, the State or to the Party, it makes for fun viewing.  Jack Cardiff gets a salute for his years as a standout DP, beginning in the nascent British film industry.  Fun fact.  He was selected to train on the early Technicolor cameras not because of his technical camera knowledge, but because he understood classic painting and color theory.  My Star of the Month is maybe my favorite actor of all time, Charles Laughton. His range is just astounding. The guy who can do Quasimodo and Ruggles of Red Gap? That says it all to me! Oh, and if you haven’t seen Payment Deferred, one of his earlier films, do yourself a favor — and look for a VERY young Ray Milland, too.

Thursday I start out with my Classic Categories challenge, in this case, Stars Who Had Their Own Radio Series.  Many, many Hollywood actors were also heard on radio, so I picked a few that tickled my fancy.  William Bendix would, of course, take it a step further and eventually do a “Life of Riley” TV show as well.  That afternoon we grab some grub at the lunch counter in a short salute to short orders.  Our prime features highlight Brothers in the Biz, from Ricardo and Stanley Cortez’ to the magnificent Mankiewicz boys!

Friday begins with a bit of helpful paranoia, where the phrase “trust no one” is best adhered to, lest you end up carrying pods into the middle of town!  My third challenge is Animal Actors, and, in this case, the actors who actually owned them.  From Pard to The Pie, we highlight four furry features!  My TCM Spotlight is on Cult Films, so turn the volume up to eleven and enjoy a wild ride!

Saturday.  Ah, the weekend! After weeks of insanely hot temps, let’s hope you can cool off with Benjamin and Tracy as they, and others, chill by the pool. Men With Spectacles make a spectacle of themselves in a series of movies that feature leading men wearing — round glasses!  We salute the great DP John Alonzo with our Essential, Chinatown and then followup with another steamy mystery, Farewell My Lovely.  Our noir choice is one that sort of “sneaks up on you,” The Reckless Moment, with Joan Bennett.  I round out the week with Mischa Auer, “the crazy Russian.”  His backstory is fascinating. Originally cast as a heavy, his role as the whacky Carlo in My Man Godfrey solidified him as a comic actor from then on!

12 hours ago, overeasy said:

• Like 2

That is such a great schedule! As a big Noir fan I would love to attend your Noir park.  Great creative schedules here that I wish I had come up with such as Thelma Ritter’s character as Guest Programmer. Love the tribute to Jack Cardiff, Charles Laughton, radio show tie ins (a huge source for movie stories and stars back then), sell outs, etc—lots of great stuff in here. The “are you buying this accent” cracked me up. That could be a whole month—my vote would be hosted by Dick Van Dyke, then maybe he can explain his MARY POPPINS “accent”.

Love the animal tie in with owners, especially mentioning William S. Hart’s beloved horse. Next time you guys vacation the LA area you should check out William S. Hart’s house in Santa Clarita which features his horse in many paintings and photos. Apparently he was a great stunt horse who did amazing stuff. It’s a must visit location for TCM fans.

And now that we have overeasy’s wonderful, fascinating notes, we close the challenge. I will post a voting thread soon, and in the meantime start thinking about your choice. With all these great schedules, it’s not going to be easy!