Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Once again, I am disappointed that my July 1, Canada Day suggestion has fallen on deaf ears.

Still no Canada Day TCM?  What about featuring some of these people on July 1:

Jack Warner, Mack Sennett, Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Nell Shipman, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Green, John Ireland, William Shatner,  James Doohan, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, John Colicos, Matheson Lang, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Gordon Pinsent, Laura Linney, Eugene Levy, Chief Dan George, Jay Silverheels, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Francis Mankiewicz, Norman McLaren, Budge Crawley, Joanna Shimkus, Alexandra Stewart, Carole Laure, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Maude Eburne, Arthur Hiller, Brendan Fraser, Brent Carver, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Andrea Martin, Craig Russell, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan, Raymond Burr. and Louis B. Mayer (landed)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Lots of gaps in the schedule. On another board I saw that one of the monthly themes (TCM Spotlight?) would be neo-noir, presented by Eddie M. and Ben M.

07/03/2021 3:45 AM    Fragment of Seeking (1946)

3:45 AM    Picnic (1949)

3:45 AM    On the Edge (1949)

3:45 AM    The Assignation (1953)

3:45 AM    The Wormwood Star (1956)

3:45 AM    Usher (2000)

All directed by Curtis Harrington, probably programmed by TCM Underground. Usher is the umpteenth adaptation of Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher," judging from the synopsis.

07/12/2021 12:45 AM    So This Is Paris (1926)

A repeat of the recent TCM Film Festival title--if you didn't see it the first time don't miss it.

07/12/2021 02:00 AM    Gojira (1954)

Does the title mean this is the original Japanese cut, as opposed to the dubbed version for the U.S. market?

07/18/2021 12:15 AM    Los Tallos Amargos (1956)

Hope this foretells more Noir Alley non-English language programming.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Once again, I am disappointed that my July 1, Canada Day suggestion has fallen on deaf ears.

Some bright spots in July: Ah! Wilderness is being shown on July 4, which is appropriate, as it features some nice July 4 scenes. 

Two good spy movies: Confidential Agent, worthy if only for Katina Paxinou's nastiness; and I Was an American Spy, one of Ann Dvorak's best. 

(Btw, there does seem to be a focus on the Canadian wilderness on May 28, a few days after Victoria Day, which I think is a holiday in Canada. So perhaps TCM feels that's enough about Canada for a while!)

As Polly of the Precodes points out, there are lots of gaps in the July schedule as it stands now, especially in the primetime hours. But I know our friend MovieCollectorOH will provide updates as they become available to him. Not a big fan of Elvis' movies (at least the post-VIVA LAS VEGAS batch), but I have no problem with his being SOTM. As the schedule stands, however, it looks as though I'll be doing a lot more reading this July.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Still no Canada Day TCM?  What about featuring some of these people on July 1:

Jack Warner, Mack Sennett, Norman Jewison, Marie Dressler, Walter Pidgeon, Mary Pickford, Fay Wray, Nell Shipman, Walter Huston, John Candy, Glenn Ford, Deanna Durbin, Colleen Dewhurst, Lorne Green, John Ireland, William Shatner,  James Doohan, Martin Short, James Cameron, Michael J. Fox, Keanu Reeves, Norma Shearer, Christopher Plummer, John Colicos, Matheson Lang, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Leslie Nielsen, Gordon Pinsent, Laura Linney, Eugene Levy, Chief Dan George, Jay Silverheels, Graham Greene, Gary Farmer, David Cronenberg, Denis Villeneuve, Denys Arcand, Francis Mankiewicz, Norman McLaren, Budge Crawley, Joanna Shimkus, Alexandra Stewart, Carole Laure, Hume Cronyn, Yvonne De Carlo, Maude Eburne, Arthur Hiller, Brendan Fraser, Brent Carver, Alexis Smith, Alexander Knox, Genevieve Bujold, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Barry Pepper, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Andrea Martin, Craig Russell, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Bruce Greenwood, Raymond Massey, Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Rody Piper, Kate Nelligan, Raymond Burr. and Louis B. Mayer (landed)

Small consolation Bogie, and maybe the promo has already been cut, but using The Guess Who song, "Star Baby" for this year's Summer Under the Stars series would be pretty cool.  🎵  It wouldn't surprise me if TCM has used this song in the past though, assuming they could get permission to do so.

Daytime July 1. My guess is William Wyler

Jezebel (Bette Davis, Henry Fonda) (Warner Bros., 1938)
The Letter (Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall) (Warner Bros., 1940)
The Little Foxes (Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall) (RKO, 1941)
Mrs. Miniver (Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon) (MGM, 1942)
The Best Years of Our Lives (Myrna Loy, Frederic March) (RKO, 1946)
Friendly Persuasion (Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire) (Allied Artists, 1956)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Themes of the day have been completely removed, replaced with lengthy genre/subgenre listings, leaving me to have to guess.

It just is whatever it is.  :D   Somewhat "downstream" for the masses, if you ask me, and I have my theories on this.  If/when the other comes up, I will post it.

• Thanks 1

... On another board I saw that one of the monthly themes (TCM Spotlight?) would be neo-noir, presented by Eddie M. and Ben M.

I wonder if this is going to be on Friday evenings in July.   I see that they are currently scheduled to show a number  movies on Fridays could be considered neo-noirs. 

There are a number that I  don't think have been shown on TCM before including:

1. July 16- Body Heat (1981) with William Hurt and Katheen Turner

2.  July 30-  Mona Lisa (1986) with Bob Hoskins and Michael Caine

3.  July 30- Tequila Sunrise (1987) with Mel Gibson and Michelle Pfeiffer

It also looks like there are gaps in the schedule on the evenings of July 16 and July 30; they might be trying to negotiate rights to other 1980s neo-noirs .  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, CallMeTim said:

I wonder if this is going to be on Friday evenings in July.   I see that they are currently scheduled to show a number  movies on Fridays could be considered neo-noirs. 

It also looks like there are gaps in the schedule on the evenings of July 16 and July 30; they might be trying to negotiate rights to other 1980s neo-noirs .  

A little late for that don't you think ?

4 hours ago, Millenniumman said:

A little late for that don't you think ?

If you are refering to rights negotiations probably not. 

In the past TCM has pulled premieres off their schedule a few days before they were supposed to be shown.   

The programmers  might be trying to get the rights for other movies they don't own in their catalog (or TCM management approval to pay for the rights). 

If they aren't sucessful then they can show one of the "usual suspects" they own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, CallMeTim said:

Mona Lisa was just on last month. But you're right the other two are premieres. I wonder what other ones they will pick. Jagged Edge maybe?

Primetime July 1 Star of the Month Elvis Presley?

Kissing Cousins (Elvis Presley, Arthur O'Connell) (MGM, 1964)
Double Trouble (Elvis Presley, John Williams) (MGM, 1967)
Live a Little, Love a Little (Elvis Presley, Michelle Carey) (MGM, 1968)

This last one apparently runs twice, back-to-back?

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Mona Lisa was just on last month.....

You are correct sir... Looked back at April 2021 schedule and Mona Lisa was on in mid-April during the 31 Days of Oscar. 

Its a movie I'd like to see so I'll record it in May.    Body Heat is one of my favorite movies of the  1980s so I'll record it too. 

Jagged Edge would be a good choice. 

Another couple they could do if they're doing a 1990s segment would be Basic instinct or Fargo. 

Those would probably require licensing that TCM might not be able to do considering the business environment they face. 

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Primetime July 1 Star of the Month Elvis Presley?

Kissing Cousins (Elvis Presley, Arthur O'Connell) (MGM, 1964)
Double Trouble (Elvis Presley, John Williams) (MGM, 1967)
Live a Little, Love a Little (Elvis Presley, Michelle Carey) (MGM, 1968)

This last one apparently runs twice, back-to-back?

Obviously an error. That part of the schedule is not complete.

• Thanks 1

Daytime July 2 These are all films that have more than one director, but as the day goes on, a number of films also concern troubled youth, pretty much a continuation of the juvenile delinquency theme. So, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe it's both?

Finishing School  (Frances Dee, Ginger Rogers) (RKO, 1934)
Boys Town (Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney) (MGM, 1938)
Crime School (Humphrey Bogart, Huntz Hall (Warner Bros., 1938)
Boy Slaves (Anne Shirley, Roger Daniel) (RKO, 1939)
Land of Liberty (Humphrey Bogart, Huntz Hall) (Distributors of American, 1939)
The Mayor of 44th Street (George Murphy, Anne Shirley) (RKO, 1944)
Youth Runs Wild (Bonita Granville, Kent Smith) (RKO, 1944)
Delinquent Daughters (June Carlson, Fifi D'orsay) (Producers Releasing Corp., 1944)
Boys' Ranch (Jackie Jenkins, James Craig) (MGM, 1946)
Cash McCall (James Garner, Natalie Wood) (Warner Bros., 1960)

The new imdb formatting is freaking me out.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen a thread for August, which I think will be SUTS, yet, so I'm plunging back into my list of films shown in July.

Primetime July 2 '60s Noir?

Harper (Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall) (Warner Bros., 1966)
Point Blank (Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson) (MGM, 1967)
Warning Shot (David Janssen, Steve Allen) (Paramount, 1967)

I think the next movie is TCM Underground. July 2 turning into 3 is Friday night/Saturday morning. 

What's the Matter with Helen? (Debbie Reynolds, Shelly Winters) (United Artists, 1971)

Late night continues with five straight shorts directed by Curtis Harrington, the director of Helen.

• Like 1

Daytime July 3 Saturday Matinee. There's a Batman serial running Saturdays this month, also Popeye cartoons. I'm only listing the features:

Lady Gangster (Faye Emerson, Julie Bishop) (Warner Bros., 1942)
The Falcon in Hollywood (Tom Conway, Barbara Hale) (RKO, 1944)
Dream Wife (Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr) (MGM, 1953)

Then theme-free afternoon programming. Or, if I was to give it a theme, it would be really, really famous movies:

The Third Man (Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli) (Dist. in the US by Selznick Releasing Corp., 1950)
Strangers on a Train (Farley Granger, Robert Walker) (Warner Bros., 1951)
Ocean's 11 (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin) (Warner Bros., 1960)
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (Paul Newman, Robert Redford) (20th  Century Fox, 1969)

• Like 1

Primetime July 3 looks like a late-career Clark Gable double feature.

The Tall Men (Clark Gable, Jane Russell) (20th Century Fox, 1955)
The Misfits (Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe) (United Artists, 1961)

Boy, I'm a helpless child when this website doesn't spoonfeed me the themes. I think the next movie is Noir Alley. What confuses me is it doesn't rerun in the morning, but that may be because the following day is devoted entirely to a Revolutionary War theme for the Fourth of July. So, let's call it Noir Alley.

Guilty Bystander (Zachary Scott, Faye Emerson) (Film Classics, 1950)

Overnight is a back-to-back airing of a movie adaptation of a play and then a movie musical adaptation of the same play:

Ah, Wilderness! (Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore) (MGM, 1935)
Summer Holiday (Mickey Rooney, Gloria DeHaven) (MGM, 1948)

Daytime July 4 Revolutionary War Movies for the Fourth of July

The Howards of Virginia (Cary Grant, Martha Scott) (Columbia, 1940)
The Time of Their Lives (Bud Abbott, Lou Costello) (Universal, 1946)
The Scarlet Coat (Cornel Wilde, Michael Wilding) (MGM, 1955)
John Paul Jones (Robert Stack, Marisa Pavan) (Warner Bros., 1959)
The Devil's Disciple (Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas) (United Artists, 1959)

The last movie of the day doesn't fit the war theme, but it's about a small-town patriotic-themed marching band, so maybe it's appropriate for the Fourth of July:

The Music Man (Robert Preston, Shirley Jones) (Warner Bros., 1962)

Primetime July 4 The Fourth of July continues with patriotic musicals

Yankee Doodle Dandy (James Cagney, Joan Leslie) (Warner Bros., 1942)
1776 (William Daniels, Howard DeSilva) (Columbia, 1972)

Silent Sunday Night

Mockery (Lon Chaney, Ricardo Cortez) (MGM, 1927)

I think it's TCM Imports after that, though it's a movie set in America

Paris, Texas (Harry Dean Stanton, Nastassja Kinski) (Dist. in the US by 20th Century Fox, 1984)

Daytime July 5 Well, they're all romantic comedies in which the potential couple doesn't know everything there is to know about each other? Like, they're secret pen pals, they rotate use of the same apartment or phone line, etc.

Rafter Romance (Ginger Rogers, Norman Foster) (RKO, 1933)
The Shop Around the Corner (Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart) (MGM, 1940)
The Bride Came C.O.D. (James Cagney, Bette Davis) (Warner Bros., 1941)
A Girl, a Guy and a Gob (George Murphy, Lucille Ball) (RKO, 1941)
Pillow Talk (Doris Day, Tony Randall) (Universal, 1959)
Sunday in New York (Rod Taylor, Jane Fonda) (MGM, 1963)
The Glass Bottom Boat (Doris Day, Rod Taylor) (MGM, 1966)