Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone see it today? Came on 12 noon here, I enjoyed it. I have heard about it (the movie) but it really was not my cup of tea. This version with Margaret 0Brian was delightful. The little boy was played by dean stockwell who I didn't recognize until later.  This is a good film and Margaret 0 Brian was a good actress at that age. Thank you TCM for this one.

Watched only part of it sometime back on Youtube before it was taken down.  Found it a bit boring.

I have the 1993 version on Laserdisc which has the surreal music by Zbigniew Preisner 

KATE-MABERLY-MAGGIE-SMITH-The-Secret-Gar

There is a 1987 TV version but never seen it.

• Confused 1

On 5/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, mabelnormand1930 said:

Thank you TCM for this one.

It's great when you stumble upon a movie that doesn't fit in your usual genre & love it. That's how I feel when I catch a great Western or War film.

I love the sincerity & sweetness of The Secret Garden & easily sucked in. Glad it "stretched" your preferred genres!

THE SECRET GARDEN is a story that is quite close to my shrivelled black heart and yet- like DRACULA- I don't think it's ever had a definitive film version, although the 1993 version was a critically ADORED box office FLOP- and I understand anyone who likes it, there is something so ragged about it, it's hyper-naturalistic and I always wanna take my pruning shears to the garden in their version, it's too rambling and overgrown- and I swear there's not a scene where some PA isn't standing on a ladder just off-camera dropping flower petals on the right side of the shot.  ALSO: there's  A WEIRD SCENE of THE TWO CHILD PROTAGONISTS (A BOY AND GIRL, each 10 years old or so) BATHING IN  A BATHTUB TOGETHER that- maybE i'm being a prude- BUT THIS SCENE DID NOT NEED TO BE IN THE MOVIE OR EVEN, QUITE, FRANKLY FILMED (as I recall it, the girl is also filmed where we can see her chest.)

i literally turned it off after that scene one time.

it still bothers me.

edit:

PASTED FROM THE PARENTS GUIDE SECTION FOR "THE SECRET GARDEN"(1993) ON IMDB:

Sex & Nudity

• There is a brief scene in which young Mary is getting out of the bathtub and we can see her right **** for a brief moment. Also during the opening credits of the movie we see a full frontal shot of Mary's chest when her servants are dressing her
  • Sad 1

AS FOR THE 1949 VERSION (FROM MGM)- they made a HUGE MISTAKE filming it in BLACK AND WHITE and then COLOR in the garden scenes; it makes no sense and it's jarring and, at the very least INDIA should have been sepia toned in the beginning. they could have done it in muted colors and also it would have been nice if they had done location shooting in ENGLAND. also MGM MGM-ified it by making villians of MRS MEDLOCK and THE DOCTOR- both of whom are pretty benign characters in the novel.

also MARGARET O'BRIEN scares the Hell out of me.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Gosh, I just thought of that as a thread topic:  in which movie does Margaret O'Brien most creep me out?

WHOA. THAT'S LIKE ONE OF THOSE "IF A TREE FALLS IN THE FOREST AND NO ONE IS AROUND TO HEAR IT, DOES IT MAKE A SOUND?" type questions one ponders in order to attain a full state of Dharma.

Be careful though, she's still alive and she may find us.

apparently a version came out in the spring of 2020 but got lost in the Corona Shuffle.

it looks very...um, 2020. CGI, Migraine-inducing camera movements, swooping noises, and apparently Australian Tree Ferns grow wild and into full maturity in the woods of England.  

Personally, I give it the hardest of hard passes.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, mabelnormand1930 said:

Did anyone see it today? Came on 12 noon here, I enjoyed it. I have heard about it (the movie) but it really was not my cup of tea. This version with Margaret 0Brian was delightful. The little boy was played by dean stockwell who I didn't recognize until later.  This is a good film and Margaret 0 Brian was a good actress at that age. Thank you TCM for this one.

One of my favorite films watch it every time it's on.

• Like 1

there's also a 1987 HALLMARK HALL OF FAME VERSION that I taped and watched 187 times as a child.

It was filmed at HIGHCLERE CASTLE (later used as DOWNTON ABBEY) and I think it contains a lot of interior shots as well. it's pretty faithful to the novel, except for a STUPID, STUPID final scene that was totally unnecessary. DEREK JACOBI is superb as MR CRAVEN and I don't recall the name of the actress who played MRS MEDLOCK, but she was really excellent as well. it also has a WONDERFUL SCORE THAT I CAN RECALL TO THIS DAY and some TERRIFICALLY ATMOSPHERIC SCENES EARLY ON that nicely salutes the somewhat Gothic touches of the novel.

See the source image

it literally has everything going for it with the deadly exception of the fact that the child leads are absolutely and utterly dreadful. the young lady playing MARY LENNOX is especially bad, to this day i can still recall how AWFUL some of her line reads are. the director should be ashamed for allowing two performances like that into the final film.

14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE SECRET GARDEN is a story that is quite close to my shrivelled black heart and yet- like DRACULA- I don't think it's ever had a definitive film version, although the 1993 version was a critically ADORED box office FLOP- and I understand anyone who likes it, there is something so ragged about it, it's hyper-naturalistic and I always wanna take my pruning shears to the garden in their version, it's too rambling and overgrown- and I swear there's not a scene where some PA isn't standing on a ladder just off-camera dropping flower petals on the right side of the shot.  ALSO: there's  A WEIRD SCENE of THE TWO CHILD PROTAGONISTS (A BOY AND GIRL, each 10 years old or so) BATHING IN  A BATHTUB TOGETHER that- maybE i'm being a prude- BUT THIS SCENE DID NOT NEED TO BE IN THE MOVIE OR EVEN, QUITE, FRANKLY FILMED (as I recall it, the girl is also filmed where we can see her chest.)

i literally turned it off after that scene one time.

it still bothers me.

edit:

PASTED FROM THE PARENTS GUIDE SECTION FOR "THE SECRET GARDEN"(1993) ON IMDB:

Sex & Nudity

• There is a brief scene in which young Mary is getting out of the bathtub and we can see her right **** for a brief moment. Also during the opening credits of the movie we see a full frontal shot of Mary's chest when her servants are dressing her

This is one reason I'd rather watch old classics.😊

• Thanks 1