Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming on TCM

RealClassic

Why have I watched and enjoyed TCM for decades? Simple. To enjoy REAL CLASSIC films  from the golden studio era of cinema, and a much smaller select number of CLASSIC films from the later film era. This DOES NOT include about a third of the new programming on TCM, which now is seemingly selected and scheduled by the WOKE faculty from the film studies department at Bryn Mawr.  ENOUGH!  An increasingly greater number of films are being shown on TCM that are simply not in any way film CLASSICS.

TCM fans are tired of the lectures, social awareness prompting  and cultural re-education programming.  This may appeal to a small minority of the TCM audience, but please be assured that it is TURNING OFF the vast majority of long-time and faithful TCM viewers.  You are wrecking the classic movie network we have loved to ESCAPE to for decades. If we want REALITY, we can watch the news.

STOP IT.

19 minutes ago, RealClassic said:

This DOES NOT include about a third of the new programming on TCM, which now is seemingly selected and scheduled by the WOKE faculty from the film studies department at Bryn Mawr. 

Are we talking about the intro and outro "programming" or the films sandwiched in-between? And if it IS the films, an example would perhaps be helpful.

48 minutes ago, RealClassic said:

Why have I watched and enjoyed TCM for decades? Simple. To enjoy REAL CLASSIC films  from the golden studio era of cinema, and a much smaller select number of CLASSIC films from the later film era. This DOES NOT include about a third of the new programming on TCM, which now is seemingly selected and scheduled by the WOKE faculty from the film studies department at Bryn Mawr.  ENOUGH!  An increasingly greater number of films are being shown on TCM that are simply not in any way film CLASSICS.

TCM fans are tired of the lectures, social awareness prompting  and cultural re-education programming.  This may appeal to a small minority of the TCM audience, but please be assured that it is TURNING OFF the vast majority of long-time and faithful TCM viewers.  You are wrecking the classic movie network we have loved to ESCAPE to for decades. If we want REALITY, we can watch the news.

STOP IT.

While Not at All Outright,  Nor Completely Disagreeing with You About the Classics that turner classic movies does and does not show..

.. ...

Classic ..

- is Subjective.  ....

..while (marginally) newer; i would NEVER, EVER Consider .. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.. ...E.T,. .....or Even 2001: Space Odyssey .. .Classics...

And.. ... that last one, Might Certainly Ruffle Some Feathers..

...but, ..for the topic at hand... .....that.. digression of sorts; is not quite, not entirely the purpose..

. ... ..

Their Library.. .... is .. Like the Louvre of Films and Cinema...

If the Proverbial we is dissatisfied and or impatient with what is on display.. ...im betting that it will change,. rotate.. ...and cycle in and out ..

I like being able to see films that most people would not necessarily think are classics, but that aren’t available readily elsewhere.  For example, In Search of Gregory and Every Little Crook and Nanny, just to randomly choose a couple.  I’m pretty happy with TCM’s current direction. 

• Like 2

One guy stated it up there just fine.

"Classic is subjective."

"Classic doesn't necessarily only mean old,  but in film can also refer to being groundbreaking, influential,  or much revered.  And the movies he(or she?) mentioned that they wouldn't consider classic do indeed qualify. 

But I get the "social awareness"  fatigue.  Especially when it gets to the point of actually(and without statistical proof and it's source) trying to state HOW it made people react, think or feel about what they saw in a movie made(and first seen) 50-90 years ago.   Or too, how WE, all these years later, SHOULD think and feel about it.  Or worse yet, tries to cop to knowing the producer's true motive behind subject matter of a movie made 80 years ago.   And IMHO, the "body image" twixt movie PSA is the most ridiculous thing so far.

Sepiatone 

54 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

One guy stated it up there just fine.

"Classic is subjective."

"Classic doesn't necessarily only mean old,  but in film can also refer to being groundbreaking, influential,  or much revered.  And the movies he(or she?) mentioned that they wouldn't consider classic do indeed qualify. 

But I get the "social awareness"  fatigue.  Especially when it gets to the point of actually(and without statistical proof and it's source) trying to state HOW it made people react, think or feel about what they saw in a movie made(and first seen) 50-90 years ago.   Or too, how WE, all these years later, SHOULD think and feel about it.  Or worse yet, tries to cop to knowing the producer's true motive behind subject matter of a movie made 80 years ago.   And IMHO, the "body image" twixt movie PSA is the most ridiculous thing so far.

Sepiatone 

I'll have to come up with another venn diagram and see where this takes me.  Classic movies, classic movies that are great, classic movies that aren't great, non-classic movies that are great, non-classic movies that aren't great, classic movies that are great that aren't "woke" (and therefore must be wrapped up in viewer warnings), non-classic movies that aren't great yet have a "woke" moment (and are therefore now a hidden gem), etc.  Unintentionally ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, RealClassic said:

STOP IT.

I agree with you on being tired of the push on social awareness, but i don't think TCM is necessarily pushing this to the extent i'm seeing it everywhere else.  There are only so many films so after decades of programming i guess TCM will use any excuse to highlight films that might not have previously gotten much attention.

I'm more concerned with the new films that hollywood is putting out that seem more concerned with pushing an agenda as opposed to telling a story.

6 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Classic movies, classic movies that are great, classic movies that aren't great, non-classic movies that

For classic, read 'studio era.'  That encompasses both the good (few) and the (many) not good.

5 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

I'm more concerned with the new films that hollywood is putting out that seem more concerned with pushing an agenda as opposed to telling a story.

Whooee!  What makes you think studio era movies weren't pushing an agenda?  The production code was one big huge agenda package.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, slaytonf said:

For classic, read 'studio era.'  That encompasses both the good (few) and the (many) not good.

Whooee!  What makes you think studio era movies weren't pushing an agenda?  The production code was one big huge agenda package.

Ha- touche.  But i am definitely seeing a new trend emerging now.

17 hours ago, slaytonf said:

And just WHAT "agenda" would any of those be?  I'm willing to bet (if they were) they weren't any of the "agendas" the TCM nabobs are trying to say they were(racism, sexism, etc.).

Sepiatone

Nothing too subtle about todays line up on a certain anniversary....

The Symbol of the Unconquered (1921) A black heiress fights off the Ku Klux Klan to save her land.

One Potato, Two Potato (1964) A white divorcee's marriage to a black man could cost her custody of her daughter.

Crisis: Behind a Presidential Commitment (1963) After years of segregation, the University of Alabama becomes the last U.S. college to open its doors to black students.
Black Panthers (1968)Interviews and protests at a rally to free Huey P. Newton.

You Got to Move-Stories of Change in the South (1985) Documentary following people from communities in the Southern United States in their involvement with social change, from organizing labor rights to the Civil 

In the Heat of the Night (1967) A black detective teams up with a racist white sheriff to solve a murder in a small town in the South. Over time, they begin to find respect for one another.

Freedom on My Mind (1994) The dramatic story of the Mississippi Voter Registration project (1961-64) is told through the eyewitness accounts of several remarkable men and women.

Hairspray (1988) A teenager uses local stardom to fight segregation, raising the ire or her rival.

2 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

But i am definitely seeing a new trend emerging now

Not agendas vs. no agendas. It's just different agendas. The reason the new agendas are salient to you is that they are different from the old ones you know. 

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Why, the very ones you push yourself:  The American Myth.  God's in his heaven, everyone's in his place. 

Well it isn't the American Myth, but more like the European one;    a perspective driven mostly by white,  Christian,  heterosexual males.

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2021 at 12:18 PM, Sepiatone said:

Totally agree.  I just want to curl up with some 1930's-1940's films and not be made to feel guilty about the content.  Give it a rest, TCM.

• Thanks 2

I find that the ones who complain about agenda fatigue, are not objecting to agendas so much, but that it is not the agenda that they want to see pushed.  They want agendas convenient for their prejudices, and object to other agendas because they threaten their comfortable world view.  As a means of gaining control over the threat, they develop terminologies and mantras that trivialize the threatening agendas and allow them to be dismissive and treat them with contempt.  I think a corresponding terminology ought to be developed to label the old agendas that these people champion.  Let's see. . . .how about dormant?  No, not snappy.  Comotose?  Moribund?  Nah.  There are always the descriptive terms, like racist, or sexist, or bigoted.  But I want something fresh. . . .I got it!  How about crap?  Let's see how that works:  Crap agendas.  Yeah, that sounds fine.  And:  Crap culture.  Much better when capitalized.  I think I'll adopt that as my new terminology.

21 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Why, the very ones you push yourself:  The American Myth.  God's in his heaven, everyone's in his place. 

And just WHEN was it I "pushed" ANY agenda?  

For me, "agenda fatigue" takes place when the "discussions" (they're mostly NOT discussions as much as like minded circle j e r k s) deteriorate into self righteous beliefs that certain negative aspects in movies made 50-80+ years ago were intentional.  Like racism and/or misogyny.  Those horses should be hamburger by now, and all that spilled milk  is curdled.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I find that the ones who complain about agenda fatigue, are not objecting to agendas so much, but that it is not the agenda that they want to see pushed.  T

I don't know why you would assume this based on the comments made.   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well it isn't the American Myth, but more like the European one;    a perspective driven mostly by white,  Christian,  heterosexual males.

You say that as if it is a bad thing.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:03 AM, Sepiatone said:

certain negative aspects in movies made 50-80+ years ago were intentional.  Like racism and/or misogyny.  Those horses should be hamburger by now, and all that spilled milk  is curdled.

That is your agenda.  That the racism, sexism and the like common in studio era movies (and after) was not intentional.  Thus how could any of the targeted groups object?  This absurd claim is patently false.  But that is not the full agenda.  Another part that the people who object to marking movies for their bigoted content is to send the message to the subjects of the content that they are vulnerable.  If disparagement, ridicule, and demeaning portrayals in movies are allowed to pass unmarked, then the implication is that they are not  protected by the same guarantees (cultural and institutional) that the ones making the movies are.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:03 AM, Sepiatone said:

circle j e r k s

When people know their position has no legitimacy they resort to abuse, insults, obscenity and the like to distract attention from the fact.  

You're like a dog with a bone( sorry.  Was that an insult to distract attention?)  I have no agenda.  And I stand by the FACT that what's seen NOW as racism, sexism, misogyny etc. in old movies WASN'T put into those films with the intention of insulting ANYBODY.  Add to that the fact that it's already been done and over with.  And all the self righteous bloviating isn't going to make any of it go away.  UNLESS, these blathering heads are pushing to have these movies BANNED from being shown on TCM ever again.   And that would accomplish what? 

and BTW:

A "circle j e r k " is an activity, not an individual.  

Sepiatone