Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BEST PERFORMANCE by a Child Star?

DickLindsay

I am always amazed at some of the performances by child stars of the 1930s and 1940s.  the two that come to mind are Judy in THE WIZARD OF OZ, and Freddie Bartholomew for CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (he was only 12 or 13, wow!).  anyone have thoughts on this topic?

2 hours ago, DickLindsay said:

I am always amazed at some of the performances by child stars of the 1930s and 1940s.  the two that come to mind are Judy in THE WIZARD OF OZ, and Freddie Bartholomew for CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (he was only 12 or 13, wow!).  anyone have thoughts on this topic?

Many people have thoughts on this topic;  E.g. there are already more than 3 threads about child stars like "favorite child actors" etc...

• 1 month later...

For my money, the preeminent child actor of his generation -- and any other generation -- was Martin Stephens.

Stephens' sterling performances in The Innocents (as preternatural, precocious Miles) and Village of the Damned (as otherworldly David Zellaby) are the gold standards for kiddie thespians, as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite (so i guess I consider it the best) is Bobby Henry in The Fallen Idol (1949) with Ralph Richardson. I understand it was really grueling for Carol Reed to get that performance on film, but, without keeping that in mind, watching the boy is a magical experience. I also really loved Dickie Moore as Marlene Dietrich's son in Blonde Venus (1932). I always felt Dietrich herself was just as responsible as von Sternberg in helping that performance along.

• Like 1