Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IMDb's New Look

txfilmfan

Has anyone else noticed that IMDb has changed their main page when you look at a title?  It appears to have been reformatted and optimized for tablets and other mobile devices.  The fonts are larger, and there is more separation between clickable/touchable items that are hyperlinked to other pages.

Other IMDb pages appear to be untouched (for now, I suppose).  

I don't care for it much, but like everything else, I'll get used to it.

• Like 1

It is less information spread over a wider area with touches of glitz. That is the trend for many sites which do not wish to maintain separate formats for desktops, telephones and tablets.

The main page is now solidly in the new format. The pages of individual movies and television programs are in a process of migration to that format. It is possible to look at a movie's page in previous format and have it change to the new format when the page is refreshed. I would suppose that pages are ranked by use and they are converting the most-accessed ones first and are working their way down the list. 

I find it quite unfortunate that they do not offer the option to see the pages in: 'classic' format as many sites do when transitioning to the less-user-friendly formats.

• Like 2

Their new format kind of sucks.  Luckily this doesn't affect my public project in any way, since it doesn't use it.  My private database for my own collecting, on the other hand, scrapes it on an as-needed per-movie basis.  And reassociating the different database elements for their new website format is a bear.  I am almost done though.  A few hours last night and a bit more tonight when I get the down time.  I cannot seem to find any display elements on their new site for "budget", "opening weekend revenue", and "gross revenue".  Maybe now they are putting that behind a paywall as well. (??)

8 hours ago, SansFin said:

I find it quite unfortunate that they do not offer the option to see the pages in: 'classic' format as many sites do when transitioning to the less-user-friendly formats.

That's already come and gone.  There was a time when I saw a link to "preview the new site" at the top on older browsers, though I don't think that link actually registered on my main Firefox browser, or I don't recall seeing it.  So for a while I mistakenly thought I "was" looking at the new version of their site. 

Now that I have seen the new site, my first impression was that the page didn't finish loading correctly.  So I clicked Reload.  That of course defaulted back to the old page.  I did that a few times before I realized what was happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Their new format kind of sucks.  Luckily this doesn't affect my public project in any way, since it doesn't use it.  My private database for my own collecting, on the other hand, scrapes it on an as-needed per-movie basis.  And reassociating the different database elements for their new website format is a bear.  I am almost done though.  A few hours last night and a bit more tonight when I get the down time.  I cannot seem to find any display elements on their new site for "budget", "opening weekend revenue", and "gross revenue".  Maybe now they are putting that behind a paywall as well. (??)

Hi IMDB moved these info several years ago to have access you must register (and pay i suppose) at IMDBPRO,i was not very happy about that,now i must go at boxscore mojo to get some info.

20 minutes ago, nakano said:

Hi IMDB moved these info several years ago to have access you must register (and pay i suppose) at IMDBPRO,i was not very happy about that,now i must go at boxscore mojo to get some info.

Here's what I meant.  This is still on the old site.  If you refresh the window while on the new site, it still seems to default to the old site.  I just didn't see the "box office" entries on the new site as of last night (I haven't looked yet today).

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202021-05-26%2019-37-58.png

• 4 weeks later...

Something on IMDb broke browsing this morning, Sunday, June 27, for me.

I was willing to put up with some tracking there, and I guess alot of that rather had to do with Amazon anyway, since while browsing the media.amazon.com "toast" would show long and hard, since IMDb carries alot of pictures.

Anyway, this morning the whole site layout would fail into just jumbled TEXT, until I turned off all tracking prevention and whitelisted the site.

Turning it on and off successively to test finds that this is merely the difference. NO AD-BLOCKING ALLOWED since this morning. It is not even gracious about it (i.e. some sites ask you to cooperate with your blocking, via a banner or dialog); nope, it just flogs you into compliance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wbogacz said:

I was willing to put up with some tracking there, and I guess alot of that rather had to do with Amazon anyway, since while browsing the media.amazon.com "toast" would show long and hard, since IMDb carries alot of pictures.

Anyway, this morning the whole site layout would fail into just jumbled TEXT, until I turned off all tracking prevention and whitelisted the site.

Turning it on and off successively to test finds that this is merely the difference. NO AD-BLOCKING ALLOWED since this morning. It is not even gracious about it (i.e. some sites ask you to cooperate with your blocking, via a banner or dialog); nope, it just flogs you into compliance.

Hmm..  Is that still the case for you?  I just tried and I can navigate around as usual.

I'm effectively just using uBlock Origin to block ads in Firefox. (Have Adblock Plus installed too, but not using their default lists - so probably irrelevant here)

Having said that, one of the scripts on their old page has been broken for me on Firefox for me for quite some time.  The part where credits are listed for someone, and maybe Producer credits are shown, but I want to see Director or Actor credits instead, and I go to expand the other categories and nothing happens.

22 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hmm..  Is that still the case for you?  I just tried and I can navigate around as usual.

I'm effectively just using uBlock Origin to block ads in Firefox. (Have Adblock Plus installed too, but not using their default lists - so probably irrelevant here)

Still an issue as of this posting time.

I think uBlock Origin vs. AdBlock Plus is the crux here. I'm using Firefox, too; I'm using ABP, and my filters are up to date.

I should try uBlock Origin instead.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wbogacz said:

I should try uBlock Origin instead.

uBlock Origin installed and ABP disabled. I got into ABP because of its larger download base, but the two seem similar in structure and use the same or similar blocking lists. I will monitor it for a while to see what needs direct attention, but for now, it's pleasing me out of the box. Thanks for the info.

No complaints on the IMDb site so far.

10 minutes ago, wbogacz said:

uBlock Origin installed and ABP disabled. I got into ABP because of its larger download base, but the two seem similar in structure and use the same or similar blocking lists. I will monitor it for a while to see what needs direct attention, but for now, it's pleasing me out of the box. Thanks for the info.

No complaints on the IMDb site so far.

Sounds good!

I seldom used IMDb in the past and the new presentation is not friendly for me to use.  Too much to scroll down to get to the meat of the movies.  Plot, actors, etc.

I have always found Wikipedia much more informative and much easier to use, so I almost always go there.

33 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I seldom used IMDb in the past and the new presentation is not friendly for me to use.  Too much to scroll down to get to the meat of the movies.  Plot, actors, etc.

I have always found Wikipedia much more informative and much easier to use, so I almost always go there.

I do too, but IMDb's cast & crew lists are usually more exhaustive (including uncredited actors, for example).  Wikipedia tends to list only those who get on-screen credit.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wbogacz said:

I suspect the problem can be traced to a change in AdBlockPlus rather than a change in IMBd.com policy. I am having similar problems on several sites and all are resolved completely by turning off AdBlockPlus on those sites. I doubt that so many sites changed simultaneously.

I find that Wikipedia presents a better synopsis and critical reviews than IMDb.com but IMDb.com provides better cast lists and trivia.

It seems that rollout of their new format is incomplete. The main page is of the new but many pages for individual movies are the usable format. I have yet to see an actor's page in the new.

On 5/27/2021 at 5:43 AM, TikiSoo said:

I never liked IMDB, don't use it.

Boy, I use imdb a lot. I find it a useful tool. I'm currently using it to confirm the home studios of all the movies airing on TCM in August, which I'm reporting on in another thread. I have a pretty good idea already for a lot of these movies, but confirmation helps. By the way, I commented on that thread weeks ago about dramatically different it looked prior to this thread being created, for what it's worth. I also use imdb as an instant link to what's available on Amazon Prime, and whether a title is free, for pay or for subscription to a sister channel.

All this talk about adblock is giving me tired head. When the conversation gets too technical on here, I know there's little or zero chance of me keeping up. I guess I have no ad-blocking software and I occasionally fall victim to my entire screen being filled with an ad for whatever imdb is promoting. Fortunately, this happens only rarely and takes only a few seconds.

The change in format was initially jarring to me (all changes are! "No offense, but I fear the unfamiliar"), but the layout is essentially the same. What SansFin said is the best description I've read, and if you get past the main page, the differences are less prominent. As MCOH pointed out, they were teasing a preview of the new format for a long time, so I was aware it was coming. I never did preview ahead of time.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 11:22 AM, Sepiatone said:

And we should care about that here why?

I think a lot of us on here use imdb a lot. I know I do, as discussed in the post above. It appeals to the same sensibilities that appeal here, in my opinion. So, this seems to me like a perfectly natural venue for discussing it. I don't know that you can talk about it there. They banished their message boards maybe two or three years ago. As the link above shows, they're also talking about it on reddit.  

• Thanks 2