• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"EXCLUSIVE INSIGHTS FROM BEN MANKIEWICZ"

Bronxgirl48

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

That always makes me laugh.

So, whaddaya sayin' here, Bronxie?

Wait! IF you might be implying that these "exclusive insights" into movies are something that your average Joe or Jane couldn't glean from just going into a film's IMDb web page and then clicking on the "Trivia" section of it and reading though it, THEN you MIGHT have a point here, lady! 

(...but I CERTAINLY hope you're not implyin' THAT, and seein' as how Ben JUST by virtue of his surname comes from a LONG line of "Hollywood insiders", ya know)  ;)

LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

So, whaddaya sayin' here, Bronxie?

Wait! IF you might be implying that these "exclusive insights" into movies are something that your average Joe or Jane couldn't glean from just going into a film's IMDb web page and then clicking on the "Trivia" section of it and reading though it, THEN you MIGHT have a point here, lady! 

(...but I CERTAINLY hope you're not implyin' THAT, and seein' as how Ben JUST by virtue of his surname comes from a LONG line of "Hollywood insiders", ya know)  ;)

LOL

Well, I've gotten used to Ben.....sort of, lol.    He can be occasionally witty -- I do enjoy the fun, clever exchanges between him and Eddie Muller "You always feel like Mary Astor" -- but, in my humble opinion I doubt Mankiewicz has ever had any important insights on film, exclusive or otherwise.   This might sound harsh to some but it's the way I feel.   

I keep hoping TCM will bring Leonard Maltin on board, but I guess he's not as glamorous....not "hip" looking or with a movie "name".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you, Ben is a "celebrity" without any real classic film credentials. I'm sure he has ambitions to be some sort of celebrity host and I suppose TCM is a perfect fit, although he's also recently been given time on CBS Sunday Morning. I think he does an OK job as a spokesperson and he can do the research to enhance his comments just like anyone else.

Leonard Maltin has many historical facts & personal anecdotes filed right in his brain, especially early cinema. I've always felt he was "the guy" while many on this board trashed him, mostly for misunderstanding his movie guide books. But I'm afraid his illness will eventually keep him off camera. Pity he wasn't better appreciated in his prime years, he really is a classic film treasure trove.

• Like 4

Thank you, TikiSoo.    I didn't realize until recently that Maltin suffers from Parkinson's.  Makes me very sad to hear.  I remember his movie guide books with great affection and appreciation.

• Like 2

I put on my flameproof suit, so I'm comfortable in saying I think Ben knows FAR more about Film than Eddie Muller knows what Noir truly is.  But that's because unlike Eddie, I believe "Noir" is more a film making STYLE, and NOT a genre.   And DAMN sure not a "lifestyle".

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I can never understand how people can get satisfaction out of dissing others. Is it out of a desperate need cope with feeling inferior?  Dis a movie, dis the editing or acting.  Dis what people do. But running someone else down only reflects poorly on the one doing it.

On 5/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, Allhallowsday said:

I doubt Mankiewicz has had any insights important or otherwise.

My view on the overall topic of important insight is that it can only come from those who did the work.

This is a frequent topic at the jazz guitar forum I'm a member of;   (as an amateur jazz guitar player).       Only the pros that has produced recordings,  and done paying live gigs can offer any important insights.    Us amateurs should just shut-up and listen!

• Thanks 1

When I see the title I have a mental picture of the Mankman talking into an old-fashioned radio

mic, wearing a fedora, and saying something like Bulletin, this is your scribe Ben Mankiewicz

with another edition of my exclusive insights. Citizen Kane, not Welles' best picture, not even

his second best. More after this word from Camel cigarettes. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I can never understand how people can get satisfaction out of dissing others. Is it out of a desperate need cope with feeling inferior?  Dis a movie, dis the editing or acting.  Dis what people do. But running someone else down only reflects poorly on the one doing it.

I'd like to think I'm a nice person!   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Please guys, I'm just having fun with Ben!  Hope this thread title and my comments aren't interpreted as disingenuous or mean-spirited.     

Nope, I didn't get the idea you were being either of those things, Bronxie.

And, I hope nobody got the idea that when I earlier said the following I was being either of those two things either and which WAS a true statement of FACT:

On 5/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, Dargo said:

BUT, I wouldn't be at ALL surprised after I made the following sarcastic comment in that same posting:

On 5/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, Dargo said:

(...but I CERTAINLY hope you're not implyin' THAT, and seein' as how Ben JUST by virtue of his surname comes from a LONG line of "Hollywood insiders", ya know) 

...if a few around here might've thought I was bein' either or both of those things, anyway!!!  LOL  Well, that of course WOULD be if they even picked up on the idea that I WAS being "sarcastic" there, anyway.

(...but then again and when it comes to our Mr. Mankiewicz, I'm ALSO pretty sure that all those times in the past where I've mentioned that he has a nasally voice, those SAME people probably think I'm being both of those things too...but frankly, I don't and have never cared IF some might think I'm being those two things and 'cause whenever I speak the TRUTH and as in the case of Ben having a "nasally voice", and YES, which he freakin' DOES, I've never cared if ANYONE thinks I'm being those two things!!!

LOL...some more now

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slaytonf said:

That's not what happened.  A TV personality is often and typically criticized.  It's not the same as "dissing" people in your personal life.   If one is in public life, one presumably grows a thick skin or drops out. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope, I didn't get the idea you were being either of those things, Bronxie.

And, I hope nobody got the idea that when I earlier said the following I was being either of those two things either:

BUT, I wouldn't be at ALL surprised after I made the following sarcastic comment in that same posting:

...if a few around here might've thought I was bein' either or both of those things, anyway!!!  LOL

(...but then again and when it comes to our Mr. Mankiewicz, I'm ALSO pretty sure that all those times in the past where I've mentioned that he has a nasally voice, those SAME people probably think I'm being both of those things too...but frankly, I don't  and have never cared IF some might think I'm being those two things, and 'cause whenever I speak the TRUTH and as in the case of Ben having a "nasally voice", I've never cared if ANYONE thinks I'm being those two things!!!

LOL...some more now

Thanks, Dargo, you're a man after my own heart, lol!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'd like to think I'm a nice person!   

My observation wasn't directed at you, but other increasingly superfluous jabs.  I understood your comment arose more from the phoniness of the ad campaign.  But others took it as an opening to get out their rhetorical razors.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

That's not what happened.  A TV personality is often and typically criticized.  It's not the same as "dissing" people in your personal life.   If one is in public life, one presumably grows a thick skin or drops out. 

Yeah, that's a good rationalization.  If you keep telling yourself that, you might even believe it yourself.  I won't.

19 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

My observation wasn't directed at you, but other increasingly superfluous jabs.  I understood your comment arose more from the phoniness of the ad campaign.  But others took it as an opening to get out their rhetorical razors.

Thanks, slayton.

I can't live without TCM but imo they're getting more and more insufferable....it's sad.

• Thanks 1

Then just watch the movies.  As far as I know, TCM has never sent out enforcers en masse to people's living rooms to compel people at gun-point to watch the editorial content.  And there's nothing new about it, either.  Robert Osborne hosted month-long focuses on different aspects of prejudicial treatment of homosexuals, women, African-Americans, Latinos, Arab-Americans, etc.  Cause, I might add, for more voluminous, and heated objection on the messageboards  than we see today.  All this hasn't made a damn bit of difference in programming.  So if you like complaining, go at it to your heart's content.  Just be aware it's just for your own entertainment

38 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

So if you like complaining, go at it to your heart's content.  Just be aware it's just for your own entertainment

You are "entertaining" yourself and can't help but a get a swipe in.  Now that I would call "dissing".  Perhaps you have a "desperate need" and feel inferior? 

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Yeah, that's a good rationalization.  If you keep telling yourself that, you might even believe it yourself.  I won't.

Well, I agree Ben was being ridiculed, but only in good clean fun.  You believe me don't you? 

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Then just watch the movies.  As far as I know, TCM has never sent out enforcers en masse to people's living rooms to compel people at gun-point to watch the editorial content.  And there's nothing new about it, either.  Robert Osborne hosted month-long focuses on different aspects of prejudicial treatment of homosexuals, women, African-Americans, Latinos, Arab-Americans, etc.  Cause, I might add, for more voluminous, and heated objection on the messageboards  than we see today.  All this hasn't made a damn bit of difference in programming.  So if you like complaining, go at it to your heart's content.  Just be aware it's just for your own entertainment

So then, pretty much like all those times I've mentioned Ben's "nasally voice" in almost any thread that has had his name in a thread's title, RIGHT slayton ol' chum?!!! 

(...'cause evidently this has always just been for MY "own entertainment" around here, huh!)  ;)

LOL

49 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So then, pretty much like all those times I've mentioned Ben's "nasally voice" in almost any thread that has had his name in a thread's title, RIGHT slayton ol' chum?!!! 

(...'cause evidently this has always just been for MY "own entertainment" around here, huh!)  ;)

LOL

You know it, Darg.  He's still around, and still nasally, so they're not listening to you.  The only instance I can think of where complaining has affected programming is when Joel McCrea got Star of the Month from a thread on him.  I think it only took a couple of years for that.

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

You know it, Darg.  He's still around, and still nasally, so they're not listening to you.  The only instance I can think of where complaining has affected programming is when Joel McCrea got Star of the Month from a thread on him.  I think it only took a couple of years for that.

Gee, in that case slayton, I've been wondering if people would register their complaints, suggestions and/or any other comments about TCM on one of the newer style social media sites, like say Facebook or Twitter, if there'd be any quicker responses received or actions taken from someone in a position to make changes at TCM?

'Cause for years now, it's seemed to me as if they feel the people who regularly contribute to their very own website here, aren't worth listening to anyway. YOU know, kind'a like being treated like the proverbial  "redheaded stepchild"?!

And with just ONE example of this being that Eddie Muller never EVER mentions, once again TCM's very own website, at the end of his program and when he says "To further discuss tonight's movie, go to TCM's Facebook or Twitter account."

Know what I mean? I'm sure you do, huh.

(...and HEY, come to think of it, I don't think Ben has mentioned, once again, TCM's very own website, in HIS nasally voice for quite a long time now EITHER!!!)