Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"EXCLUSIVE INSIGHTS FROM BEN MANKIEWICZ"

14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I can never understand how people can get satisfaction out of dissing others. (snipped) But running someone else down only reflects poorly on the one doing it.

Whenever I read rude personal comments on this board about a celebrity, I am always taken aback and note the poster. Anyone who focuses on a host's personal traits -and I don't mean costuming/hair choices- is looking to expose chinks in armor, not an inviting trait. 

Our current society atmosphere of posting through phones/computers creates a barrier of relative anonymity & social media creates an atmosphere of "every opinion counts". It doesn't. It just exposes the self-important rather blatantly.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:26 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

but, in my humble opinion I doubt Mankiewicz has ever had any important insights on film, exclusive or otherwise. 

This OP was not a disrespectful nor personal, just a  comment on Ben's credentials as a classic film spokesperson. More pertinent is what do we expect from a classic film host? Do we want them to speak well & have accurate information? Or do we want a perfect hairdo?

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Gee, in that case slayton, I've been wondering if people would register their complaints, suggestions and/or any other comments about TCM on one of the newer style social media sites, like say Facebook or Twitter, if there'd be any quicker responses received or actions taken from someone in a position to make changes at TCM?

To respond to that would mean I'd have to visit Facebook and Twitter.  I've never felt a need to, but maybe I will.  My prejudiced opinion is that I'll see much the same content there as I do here, but I could be wrong.  There would be different names there, not that I've become tired of the ones I see here.  A wider audience (assuming there is one) would mean my comments could have greater influence, which is always a good thing.  One thing I'm certain of is that commentary there would have as little effect on programming as comments here.

So I'm afraid you'll just have to have your mute button at the ready for when Mr. Mankiewicz is on.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

To respond to that would mean I'd have to visit Facebook and Twitter.  I've never felt a need to, but maybe I will.  My prejudiced opinion is that I'll see much the same content there as I do here, but I could be wrong.  There would be different names there, not that I've become tired of the ones I see here.  A wider audience (assuming there is one) would mean my comments could have greater influence, which is always a good thing.  One thing I'm certain of is that commentary there would have as little effect on programming as comments here.

So I'm afraid you'll just have to have your mute button at the ready for when Mr. Mankiewicz is on.

Nah, I'd never do that.

Ya see, I feel about Ben just as Bronxie said earlier she does about him here...

Well, I've gotten used to Ben.....sort of, lol.    He can be occasionally witty

And so even IF Ben in my view doesn't have the most pleasant sounding voice I've ever heard, I'll just continue listening to him impart his "insights" to me at TCM.

And even IF those insights in most cases could never really be described as "exclusive" and which by and large are almost always "insights" which as I said earlier anyone can glean simply by reading the trivia section of any film's IMDb web page, and seldom if ever are "insights" born from and by virtue of his being a member of the Mankiewicz family.

(...and which I've always felt was the real reason Ben was given this position at TCM, and definitely NOT because of possessing a "pleasant sounding voice", and which is something I've always felt should be a basic requirement for anyone doing work as an announcer and which is basically what his position is)

19 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I can never understand how people can get satisfaction out of dissing others. Is it out of a desperate need cope with feeling inferior?  Dis a movie, dis the editing or acting.  Dis what people do. But running someone else down only reflects poorly on the one doing it.

:D  It's adorable that you post all that self righteousness with the belief IT'S not "dissing" too!  ;) 

Sepiatone

17 hours ago, slaytonf said:

You know it, Darg.  He's still around, and still nasally, so they're not listening to you.  The only instance I can think of where complaining has affected programming is when Joel McCrea got Star of the Month from a thread on him.  I think it only took a couple of years for that.

I've always thought Joel McCrea had a nasally voice.

(but one of my favorite actors.  Very underrated.  Versatile, low key -- satisfying in any genre!)

• Like 2
On 5/29/2021 at 10:03 AM, slaytonf said:

I'd have to visit Facebook and Twitter.  (snipped)  A wider audience (assuming there is one) would mean my comments could have greater influence, which is always a good thing. 

Wider isn't always better. Message boards are still the only Internet forums where you still find complete sentences and therefore complete & complex conversation. This board in particular has some really talented communicators.

FB & Twit (ter, aptly named) are full of fragmented outbursts with no intent of conversing. A Soapbox. A big indication of inability to compose a sentence are little cutesy emoticons instead of words.

I don't understand your desire to influence other posters...you mean along the lines of, "Wow that was a great movie-you should see it!"?  This message board will never influence TCM programming or it's hosts, money moves corporations.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I don't understand your desire to influence other posters

All part of my program to dominate the consciousness of humanity. 

The grammar of the posters is irrelevant. Though their thinking may be as disjointed,  the eloquence, and the clear rational of my ideas will succeed. 

I am not interested in influencing TCM. 

All part of my program to dominate the consciousness of humanity. 

Oh I getcha now...

919b666abd91fdb2463226d5fa40f4f7.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

seumpQX.jpg?1

You know, nothing delights me more than learning a different point of view. It's like speaking multiple languages, it can enhances the big picture for you if you're an accepting person.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SansFin said:

seumpQX.jpg?1

My, how "Zen", Sans!

(...ya know, you'd fit right in with many of the folks around here in Sedona)  ;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

My, how "Zen", Sans!

(...ya know, you'd fit right in with many of the folks around here in Sedona)  ;)

I doubt that it is "Zen" to have a call to arms to attract all right-thinking people. 😜

32 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I doubt that it is "Zen" to have a call to arms to attract all right-thinking people. 😜

Really? Even IF they might be Left-Brain types???

Ya see, I've always been under the impression (and which btw is always much preferrable than ever being over the impression, and especially of you might suffer from acrophobia...but I digress) that Left-Brain people and regardless if they might generally be "right-thinking" are usually much too preoccupied with thoughts of facts and figures, and so just a simple "call to arms" has never been a sufficient means in order to "attract" them to do ANYTHING!

Nope, I've always found that with those kind'a folks, you pretty much need somethin' like a cattle prod to get 'em to do what ya want 'em to do.

(...oh wait...maybe that was Right-Brain types?!...eeeh, either way and like I was sayin' here, sometimes a cattle prod comes in mighty handy)

• Like 1

You left me in right field.

That's 'cause you've got the strongest arm on the team, slayton!

(...we ALWAYS put the guy with the strongest arm out there, ya know)

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Really? Even IF they might be Left-Brain types???

Ya see, I've always been under the impression (and which btw is always much preferrable than ever being over the impression, and especially of you might suffer from acrophobia...but I digress) that Left-Brain people and regardless if they might generally be "right-thinking" are usually much too preoccupied with thoughts of facts and figures, and so just a simple "call to arms" has never been a sufficient means in order to "attract" them to do ANYTHING!

Nope, I've always found that with those kind'a folks, you pretty much need somethin' like a cattle prod to get 'em to do what ya want 'em to do.

(...oh wait...maybe that was Right-Brain types?!...eeeh, either way and like I was sayin' here, sometimes a cattle prod comes in mighty handy)

It is true in very general terms that each half of the brain receives sensory data from and exercises motor control of the opposite half of the body. It is by this that only left-handed people are in their right mind.

It is merely an old wives' tale that logic is the dominion of one side and emotions are the dominion of the other. I suspect that you are not an old wife nor have a wife whom you would call old. 

I do not know of cattle prods but I am reminded of the old saying: "Grab a man by his ba|ls and his heart and mind are sure to follow".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, SansFin said:

...I do not know of cattle prods but I am reminded of the old saying: "Grab a man by his ba|ls and his heart and mind are sure to follow".

So, kind'a like that old joke:

"Be wary of any female surgeon who never questioned their mother when she told her, 'The way to a man's heart is through his stomach'. "

(...so, kind'a like that?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, SansFin said:

It is by this that only left-handed people are in their right mind.

I always knew you were a person of exceptional insight. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SansFin said:

is by this that only left-handed people are in their right mind.

42 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I always knew you were a person of exceptional insight. 

Aaah, a lefty are we, slayton?

Then how about if we put you at first base instead?

(...that guy named "Who" never really worked out very well at that postion anyway, ya know)

15 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Oh, leave me in right field.  It affords me opportunity for meditation.

Yeah, okay.

(...it would be a shame to waste that strong arm of yours at first base, anyway)

• Thanks 1