Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"EXCLUSIVE INSIGHTS FROM BEN MANKIEWICZ"

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

"The Library of Marlon Brando" also cracks me up.

Actually Bronxie, maybe not such an oxymoron as it might first sound. And, especially if we're talkin' about a "library" of audio tapes.

By this I mean that your comment reminded me of a documentary film I watched at a local little art house cinema here in Sedona a few years back titled Listen to Me Marlon (2015). And I have to say it was very well done and quite interesting, and due to its use of Brando's own words which he had dictated into many many cassette tapes about his life experiences and how he viewed himself and the world...

Listen to Me Marlon (2015) - IMDb

(...I highly recommend a viewing of it, as even though I've never been THAT big a fan of Brando's myself, it helped me gain an insight into how complex and intelligent a man he was)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Dargo.   Don't get me wrong -- I admire Brando as an actor but was just viewing the word "library" in its....how shall I say...."antiquarian" definition.  (I'm so old-school, lol)   So contrasting the quaintness of that word with what Marlon represents in terms of non-traditional "undershirt" Method stereotypes -- you can understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Tonight I caught the end of HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL (1958) introduced by BEN MAKIEWICZ and MICHAEL LANDON is prominent there at the end... did I miss it or was he not credited? 

Michael Landon does have a significant role in the film - he is credited at the very beginning when they are showing the "Jerry Lee Lewis Music Truck"

CvAzMAv.jpg

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Michael Landon does have a significant role in the film - he is credited at the very beginning

I have seen the whole film, did not remember LANDON in there, and of course spotted him at the very end in the "fight scene".  The movie is fun... and silly!  Thanks for the answer!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I have seen the whole film, did not remember LANDON in there, and of course spotted him at the very end in the "fight scene".  The movie is fun... and silly!  Thanks for the answer!

Maybe you didn't recongnize him because this one was filmed before he had had his ears done?

3b3ae6e88540635ff77afe129b7de71d.jpg

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Maybe you didn't recongnize him because this one was filmed before he had had his ears done?

I recognized him, ears and all, right away.  I did not remember he was in it.  I had watched that slop long ago for MAMIE VAN DOREN and JERRY LEE LEWIS.  Hell, even JACKIE COOGAN is in there!  'Course I honestly did not care the lead was RUSS TAMBLYN, whom I like! 

On 6/3/2021 at 9:38 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Tonight I caught the end of HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL (1958) introduced by BEN MAKIEWICZ and MICHAEL LANDON is prominent there at the end... did I miss it or was he not credited? 

I enjoyed Ben's intro to High School Confidential!. A few weeks ago, Ben interviewed Russ Tamblyn for CBS Sunday Morning and they spent some time reading aloud from the script with all the stupid hipster lingo and cracking themselves up. I liked Ben's "insight" that Mamie Van Doren was what Marilyn Monroe would have been if she had studied acting under John Waters instead of Lee Strasberg, though it's probably giving Mamie too much credit to compare her to Marilyn in any sense at all. Mamie was such a "niche" actor (and a personal favorite of mine) that I was glad he took the time to put her into some kind of context for younger viewers who may not have run across her in their exploration of classic films. Ben's somewhat goofy take on films in general (and on the art of hosting) doesn't work in every situation, but with these 50's JD movies he's right in his groove in a way which I don't think the other TCM hosts could be. Ben's Ben; sometimes you cringe, sometimes you laugh out loud, and I think he gets that about the effect he has on people.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, DougieB said:

Ben's somewhat goofy take on films in general (and on the art of hosting) doesn't work in every situation, but with these 50's JD movies he's right in his groove in a way which I don't think the other TCM hosts could be. Ben's Ben; sometimes you cringe, sometimes you laugh out loud, and I think he gets that about the effect he has on people.

YEAH?! So, you think Ben is pretty clever with his takes on these J-D flicks, do ya Doug?

Well, Ben couldn't/can't hold a candle to our own Rich (scsu1975) around here when it comes to this sort'a thing, ya know!

In other words, I'm sure you've been around here long enough to have caught Rich's old Juvenile Delinquent movie thread that he used to update every month or so, haven't you.

Now THAT was ALWAYS funny and very clever, and never "sometimes".

(...couldn't wait for his next installments back then...boy, I miss that thread of his)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Rich is the master. His sci-fi thread was great too. It seems like he tapered off on the JD thread right around the time he started his mammoth project of reconstructing the schedule from 100 years ago from the local theater in the town where he grew up, complete with stills from the films and plot synopses, many from films that no longer even exist. I can't imagine the man hours it's taking to do that. (Plus, I seem to recall that in one of the Board overhauls he lost the pictures from the JD  thread and had to go back and reinsert them all. I think lzcutter ended up doing the same for one of Kyle's threads.) Underneath that glib exterior there's a real scholar.

In a toe-to-toe with Ben, Rich would win for sure. The point I was trying to make was that Ben can fit into some contexts better than others and that the JD series seems compatible with his inner goofball. (Pun intended.) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, Allhallowsday said:

..is a lot of fun, the best being MAMIE VAN DOREN JACKIE COOGAN and JERRY LEE LEWIS... a "naughty" film that is downright innocent

I missed maybe the first seven minutes when I watched. Is it established that the Russ Tamblyn character (Spoiler Alert!) is a narc right from the beginning? Because it came a little bit as a surprise to me at the two-thirds point of the movie, though he was so single-minded on getting inside with the drug kingpin, I began to have my suspicions. If you are supposed to know from the very start, I have to say  it makes for a different viewing experience when you don't know!

On the plus side, Mankiewicz did make some perceptive comments (paired with Eddie Muller on the new Neo Noir series) about the 1960's in terms of transition to more gritty, adult themes in films.   He said 1967 was the breakaway year which I have always believed.   Was surprised Ben agreed with me, lol.  

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I missed maybe the first seven minutes when I watched. Is it established that the Russ Tamblyn character (Spoiler Alert!) is a narc right from the beginning? Because it came a little bit as a surprise to me at the two-thirds point of the movie, though he was so single-minded on getting inside with the drug kingpin, I began to have my suspicions. If you are supposed to know from the very start, I have to say  it makes for a different viewing experience when you don't know!

Have to admit... I don't remember!  I only remember vividly JERRY LEE LEWIS at the opening...  and JACKIE COOGAN, the drug kingpin... I think we know at the beginning RUSS is a copper...

• Thanks 1

Just watched the interview on Sunday Morning. Very enjoyable. Love James Caan, excellent actor and interesting man. His role as Sunny in the Godfather, makes most think Caan is Italian. He's Jewish and from Queens.

Ben did a good job with the interview. It's a limited time slot and the interview managed to give us a good glimpse into Caan and his career. Ben asked some good  questions and didn't talk much, letting Caan have center stage. Hope James Caan gets to play more roles in films and tv.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He played Sonny Corleone and he is from Sunnyside Queens.  Loved the interview.  I didn't get to see the segment on Anthony Bourdain (also part Jewish - mother's side).  I remember Caan on Las Vegas (when he left, Tom Selleck took over).  I first saw him (and cried) in Brian's Song.  He was very candid about his drug use and how proud he is of his son, Scott.  Liked seeing the clip of the 2 of them together on the Hawaii Five-O reboot.  Maybe Caan can go to one of the NCIS or Law & Order franchises (Organized Crime).  Or give him a Blue Bloods spin off.

Lavender, on the segment on Albert Hall, was that Roger Daltry she was talking to?  Caan has aged better.  Caan is one of those actors who should have won many awards (including an Oscar but never did).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

He played Sonny Corleone and he is from Sunnyside Queens.  Loved the interview.  I didn't get to see the segment on Anthony Bourdain (also part Jewish - mother's side).  I remember Caan on Las Vegas (when he left, Tom Selleck took over).  I first saw him (and cried) in Brian's Song.  He was very candid about his drug use and how proud he is of his son, Scott.  Liked seeing the clip of the 2 of them together on the Hawaii Five-O reboot.  Maybe Caan can go to one of the NCIS or Law & Order franchises (Organized Crime).  Or give him a Blue Bloods spin off.

Lavender, on the segment on Albert Hall, was that Roger Daltry she was talking to?  Caan has aged better.  Caan is one of those actors who should have won many awards (including an Oscar but never did).

Yes, Roger Daltry. there's a 4 year difference between Daltry and Caan and I think at that age it shows. Caan is 81, Daltry 77 and yes Caan looked pretty good for his age.

Very sad watching the Bourdain segment, I don't know, never made any sense and a little part of me thinks there might be more to that story.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Very sad watching the Bourdain segment, I don't know, never made any sense and a little part of me thinks there might be more to that story.

Yeah, in fact there IS "more to this story", lav! And coincidentally because another story on this week's edition of CBS Sunday Morning featured that actor who played Sonny Corleone, there's a mob connection to Bourdain's demise.

Nope, Anthony didn't commit suicide like you've led to believe. Nope ya see, because he once served a bad cannoli to the present head of the Gambino crime family Lorenzo Mannino which made Mannino sick, Mannino had him wacked and had it made to LOOK like suicide. See what I'm talkin' 'bout here???

Don't believe me, huh?! Well, this info is right out of the QAnon website, and so check it out for yourself.

(...oh and btw, if anyone asks, you didn't hear this from me)

• Haha 2

Oh c'mon, not funny. It is sad about his death. Actually, I was thinking it's a lot more sinister than over a bad cannoli. Years ago on Top Chef i heard him tell an Italian Chef how horrible his Lasagna was. That's more of a reason than the cannoli. lol

btw, I don't pay any attention to that horrible group of nuts you refer to in your post. I would never, ever pay any attention or go to their website. I think you know me better than that after all these years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Oh c'mon, not funny. It is sad about his death. Actually, I was thinking it's a lot more sinister than over a bad cannoli. Years ago on Top Chef i heard him tell an Italian chef how horrible his lasagna was. That's more of a reason than the cannoli. lol

btw, I don't pay any attention to that horrible group of nuts you refer to in your post. I would never, ever pay any attention or go to their website. I think you know me better than that after all these years. 

Well first here lav my old friend, I'm sorry to see that you're unable to see the humor in my previous post, and even though, yes, it is about a tragic subject. FWIW, I really liked Anthony Bourdain too and really got into many of his various programs, AND think it's a damn shame about how his life ended at such a reasonably young age.

Guess I should just chalk this up to the ol' "Too Soon" thing here, huh. YOU know, like when someone does a joke about Abe Lincoln's assassination that it doesn't go over very well either.

(...and btw, OF COURSE I knew that you don't nor would ever visit that dumb conspiracy theory-laddened website...you see, THAT part of my previous posting was in order to assure that you'd know everything that came before it was supposed to be a joke TOO and just as that website is and would be to any THINKING person such as you and I)

• Like 1

Well, I guess you didn't get my joke about the lasagna!

Actually, that really happened.  Bourdain was a guest judge on an episode of Top Chef a few years ago. He was very insulting to an Italian chef, Fabio Viviani telling him his lasagna was awful. Fabio told Bourdain off and yelled at him on the show. Of course your cannoli story ( shades of Godfather 3, when Connie bumped Eli off with the poisioned cannolli) and my Lasagna story are jokes.

Kidding aside, I just think the circumstances are odd and I'll keep my thoughts to myself about this.

• Like 2