Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"EXCLUSIVE INSIGHTS FROM BEN MANKIEWICZ"

No jokes about Bourdain; however, here is some true info about things that occurred about the time he killed himself (and Eric Ripert found him).  The MeToo movement had started and he had been friends with Mario Batali (who not only raped women but did not treat his waitstaff well).  At the same time, after his 2nd divorce, the mixed-martial artist he went around with was part of a distaff MeToo! story.  In the past, he was very open about his substance abuse.  I remember the incident with Fabio.  I also remember an incident on Chopped where a chef was ready to settle their differences on the street with Scott Conant.

I look at Bourdain's death in the same light as Heath Ledger or Robin Williams (at least I can watch Williams now; still can't watch the other 2).  It's because I overdosed twice (once on Halycon) and once on Tylenol.  Those were really cries for help.  We may never know the true story.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:21 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

guest judge on an episode of Top Chef

You realize these "reality" shows are scripted. More than likely the exchange was agreed to by both parties.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

You realize these "reality" shows are scripted. More than likely the exchange was agreed to by both parties.

I don't think that episode of Top Chef was scripted.  Did you watch that episode? If you did, I think you'd see that exchange between Bourdain and Fabio Viviani was real. Bourdain insulted him and Viviani was really angry. This chef had just opened a restaurant and that exchange may have affected the chef's business in a negative way. Bourdain told this chef his food was horrible.

• Like 1
On 7/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, chaya bat woof woof said:

No jokes about Bourdain; however, here is some true info about things that occurred about the time he killed himself (and Eric Ripert found him).  The MeToo movement had started and he had been friends with Mario Batali (who not only raped women but did not treat his waitstaff well).  At the same time, after his 2nd divorce, the mixed-martial artist he went around with was part of a distaff MeToo! story.  In the past, he was very open about his substance abuse.  I remember the incident with Fabio.  I also remember an incident on Chopped where a chef was ready to settle their differences on the street with Scott Conant.

I look at Bourdain's death in the same light as Heath Ledger or Robin Williams (at least I can watch Williams now; still can't watch the other 2).  It's because I overdosed twice (once on Halycon) and once on Tylenol.  Those were really cries for help.  We may never know the true story.

I read somewhere (and probably shouldn’t be repeating it) someone said he had cancer.  But I never could find anything else to confirm that. The story on CBS Sunday Morning lead viewers to believe it was because he had split with Asia Argento. Of course, we’ll never know because those that knew him best either aren’t talking or they really don’t know. 

• Thanks 2

I don't believe the show is "scripted" - fabio got a commercial  out of it.  I do believe that on these shows, certain chefs have more sway than others.  There was a big disagreement between Tom C. and another chef over the eventual winner (who was a real jerk - and refused to give up immunity  when his dish was the worst (he let one of his 2 teammates - both women go down).  He eventually won (and he was obnoxious to the wait staff in the finale).

Personally, I would love to see Tom C. on Worst Cooks.  I always wonder on all these cooking shows what the screening process is.  Some weird individuals show up on Worst Cooks; some seem legit while others seem to want to ply their brand of "schtick" on "reality" TV.  I also wonder what (even before COVID) waivers they have to sign (e.g., allergies - shellfish, berries, bee/wasp stings (that's me), peanuts (legumes), nuts, etc.).  Also injuries.

HelenBaby2, there are still theories about JFK's assassination out there.  Robin Williams was also diagnosed with some sort of debilitating disease; there was also talk of drug interaction.  Hey, my halcyon overdose came at a time when the drug was already banned in Europe because it induced suicidal thoughts.  Phillip Roth talks about his experience with the drug with Operation Shylock.  

Out of respect for Mr. Bourdain and those who survive him, can we turn to other subjects.

I liked the segment on Albert Hall (made me think of the Beatle's song).  

3 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Getting back to Ben....

Can we?

During the interview Ben did with James Caan on Sunday Morning, Ben said that Honeymoon In Vegas was a very underrated film. I couldn't agree more. It's such a funny comedy. the whole cast is great and Caan was great as a mobster type in it. I was so happy Ben mentioned the film. I said this before, Ben did a good job with this interview.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

lavender, I share your and Ben's appreciation for HONEYMOON IN VEGAS.  It's hilarious!   Caan wonderful spoofing his tough guy image.  Haven't seen this gem in years.   The Flying Elvises, lol.    I'll check out the interview.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

During the interview Ben did with James Caan on Sunday Morning, Ben said that Honeymoon In Vegas was a very underrated film. I couldn't agree more.

Thanks! Never seen it - just requested this from my library.

• Like 1

I've concluded that Ben can only be amusing and witty paired with Eddie Muller.

His solo Feature Movie intro's are just....terrible.    No other way to say it.   The pointless "edgy" sarcasm has just got to go.  Serves no purpose and is highly embarrassing in my opinion.  I think Mankiewicz wants to distinguish himself from wooden, lifeless Dave Karger but coming across as some "hip" wise-acre is not the way to do it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

His solo Feature Movie intro's are just....terrible.    No other way to say it.   The pointless "edgy" sarcasm has just got to go.  Serves no purpose and is highly embarrassing in my opinion.  I think Mankiewicz wants to distinguish himself from wooden, lifeless Dave Karger but coming across as some "hip" wise-acre is not the way to do it.

I don't know:   I happened to run into Ben at the Atlanta Airport and he was kind,  witty and assuming.    We only talked for a few minutes but he really appreciated the fact that I was a big fan of TCM and American studio era movies.        

• Like 3

I met Ben years ago and ever since then he's been trying to do an impersonation of me as a clever, subtly funny hipster who is extra cool to look at. Sorry, Ben it's not working. There's only one me.

Okay, okay, I made this stuff up but it's fun to dream, isn't it?

• Haha 2
24 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Just think of him as making dad jokes, only for movies.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I couldn't disagree more. I think his intros are usually pretty good, so actually there is another way to say it. He's knowledegable about the matierial with the occasional error, adn he makes me laugh a lot. Maybe you're hipper than me. I don't see him at all as desperately trying to be hip, just tryng to be funny occasionally and succeeding usually with me, anyway.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't know:   I happened to run into Ben at the Atlanta Airport and he was kind,  witty and assuming.    We only talked for a few minutes but he really appreciated the fact that I was a big fan of TCM and American studio era movies.        

This is nice to hear!   

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I couldn't disagree more. I think his intros are usually pretty good, so actually there is another way to say it. He's knowledegable about the matierial with the occasional error, adn he makes me laugh a lot. Maybe you're hipper than me. I don't see him at all as desperately trying to be hip, just tryng to be funny occasionally and succeeding usually with me, anyway.

We'll just have to agree to disagree!

I'm probably hippier (all those french fries I have been consuming during Covid) but not sure about hipper, lol.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Just think of him as making dad jokes, only for movies.

Aaah! And so THIS is the reason the last time Ben did an intro for that Victor Mature flick, One Million B.C., he couldn't resist telling that old one about what they call a caveman's f@rt, eh?!

Don't know that one or don't remember Ben tellin' that one, ya say?

Why, they call it...wait for it..."A blast from the past"!

(...naaah, he really didn't tell that one...I just like this old "dad joke" and wanted to tell it here myself, THAT'S all)  ;)

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'm probably hippier (all those french fries I have been consuming during Covid)

You made me think for a moment I had typed "hippier" and rapidly sent me into re-reading my own original post.  Happy that I didn't say that!

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Aaah! And so THIS is the reason the last time Ben did an intro for that Victor Mature flick, One Million B.C., he couldn't resist telling that old one about what they call a caveman's f@rt, eh?!

Don't know that one or don't remember Ben tellin' that one, ya say?

Why, they call it...wait for it..."A blast from the past"!

(...naaah, he really didn't tell that one...I just like this old "dad joke" and wanted to tell it here myself, THAT'S all)  ;)

Owwwooooo!

• 5 weeks later...

In his outro to KLUTE, Ben mentioned that Jane Fonda researched the role of Bree Daniels by speaking to prostitutes and getting to know their world.   Then Mankiewicz tells us many women come into that profession due to early sexual abuse.    

This is a sad fact that many of us already know.   In my opinion we did not need to hear it from a television movie host.    Just another example of inappropriate "wokeness" and social commentary that is now apparently TCM's stock in trade.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

In his outro to KLUTE, Ben mentioned that Jane Fonda researched the role of Bree Daniels by speaking to prostitutes and getting to know their world.   Then Mankiewicz tells us many women come into that profession due to early sexual abuse.    

This is a sad fact that many of us already know.   In my opinion we did not need to hear it from a television movie host.    Just another example of inappropriate "wokeness" and social commentary that is now apparently TCM's stock in trade. 

I'm starting to think that TCM should just display the "Outdated Cultural Depiction" label up front instead of pointing out everything that's wrong with a movie right before we try to watch it.