Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"EXCLUSIVE INSIGHTS FROM BEN MANKIEWICZ"

3 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I'm starting to think that TCM should just display the "Outdated Cultural Depiction" label up front instead of pointing out everything that's wrong with a movie right before we try to watch it.

What was TCM saying was wrong with Klute?

4 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

In his outro to KLUTE, Ben mentioned that Jane Fonda researched the role of Bree Daniels by speaking to prostitutes and getting to know their world.   Then Mankiewicz tells us many women come into that profession due to early sexual abuse.    

This is a sad fact that many of us already know.   In my opinion we did not need to hear it from a television movie host.    Just another example of inappropriate "wokeness" and social commentary that is now apparently TCM's stock in trade.

snoopy-eye-roll.png

5 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

In his outro to KLUTE, Ben mentioned that Jane Fonda researched the role of Bree Daniels by speaking to prostitutes and getting to know their world.   Then Mankiewicz tells us many women come into that profession due to early sexual abuse.    

This is a sad fact that many of us already know.   In my opinion we did not need to hear it from a television movie host.    Just another example of inappropriate "wokeness" and social commentary that is now apparently TCM's stock in trade.

Sorry to say here Bronxie, but it seems to me as if you're now almost going out of your way to find things about Nasally Boy that feed to your dislike of him.

Yep, I also saw Ben say that after watching Klute last night too, but because I found what he said about prostitutes and in so many cases their early sexual abuse which foments their lives, was in reality and merely a statement of fact which, and even though as you brought up here might already be known by many of us, I didn't find as being a case of "inappropriate wokeness" at all.

(...like I said here, sorry my friend, but I had to get this off my chest here...yep, came THIS close to not entering this one)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

So that's the outdated content!

At least part of it. I didn't watch it last night, but have seen it three or four times before.Never

particularly liked that shag haircut. I stayed up a little past my bedtime to watch Stanley and

Iris. It bombed at the box office and didn't do well with critics, but I've always liked it. A bit

corny in spots and with the usual happy Hollywood ending, but I still like it. Jane's frizzy hair

cut was not too bad and her hair style in the final scene was most attractive. 

• Like 1

I think from now on I'll have to mute Ben's intros and outros, for my own peace of mind, lol.   I really do not enjoy making fun of him.  You can believe that or not.

Therefore, this thread won't be viable any more, probably to the relief of not only myself but all others.   I never should have started it!  Was misguided on my part and I do apologize to everyone.   

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Never particularly liked that shag haircut.

There you are at distinct variance with contemporaries.  I don't criticize you for it, I merely report events.  She greatly influenced fashion (hair and clothes) with this movie.  Though not as greatly, I think, as Diane Keaton did with Annie Hall (1977).

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I think from now on I'll have to mute Ben's intros and outros, for my own peace of mind, lol.   I really do not enjoy making fun of him.  You can believe that or not.

Therefore, this thread won't be viable any more, probably to the relief of not only myself but all others.   I never should have started it!  Was misguided on my part and I do apologize to everyone.   

Drugs have been developed to block the cringe response inspired by Ben Mankiewicz's intros and afterwords--a survival response deriving from our reptilian brain stem.  If you live within driving distance of the Mexican border, you can even get them without prescription.

Or you can develop the understanding that the world is not going to be exactly as you would have it.

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Fonda gives a tremendous performance in KLUTE.   I do think she deserved that Oscar.

Ya know what sealed the deal for her, don't ya Bronxie.

Yep, that silent crying scene she did while the killer played the tape recording near the end)

(...not that she wasn't great throughout the film, mind you)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

There you are at distinct variance with contemporaries.  I don't criticize you for it, I merely report events.  She greatly influenced fashion (hair and clothes) with this movie.  Though not as greatly, I think, as Diane Keaton did with Annie Hall (1977).

I'm sure you're right about that, but personally I never thought much of her hair cut in that movie.

I prefer big hair Barbarella.

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I would have thought Keith Partridge started the shag thing.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know what sealed the deal for her, don't ya Bronxie.

Yep, that silent crying scene she did while the killer played the tape recording near the end)

(...not that she wasn't great throughout the film, mind you)

Very intense with the snot running down her nose.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Yes, her hair works in that movie. 

It seems in sync with some of the over the top visuals and she also looks good with that style.

I've seen parts of Barbarella before, but not the whole movie until a few nights ago. To me it's

more of an interesting curiosity than a complete film. It just doesn't hold together very well,

though some of the visuals are quite good. And that lame, far from futuristic 1960s score and

songs. I was half expecting Tom Jones to make a cameo. 

22 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Drugs have been developed to block the cringe response inspired by Ben Mankiewicz's intros and afterwords--a survival response deriving from our reptilian brain stem.  If you live within driving distance of the Mexican border, you can even get them without prescription.

Or you can develop the understanding that the world is not going to be exactly as you would have it.

Not related in any way to your dialog with Bronxie, but I would first go down the route of asking certain posters whether or not they already have a carbon monoxide detector in their house.